6242361 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#5491540 - 12/21/14 06:56 PM Maybe the reason I haven't seen many deer lately
Sparky45 Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Big Country
We have land and hunt in south central Taylor County, not far from Dentapusa and Jasb, Drop Tine and some others on here.
This season has been pitiful for deer hunting. We had good prospects on camera early to mid fall. I shot one good meat doe 6 weeks ago and that is about it. Still some activity at night, but just not the numbers we have seen before. I talked to my neighbors and got the same story. The deer just aren't there this year.
It has been dry and we did have a good acorn crop and I can think of other things that might contribute, but one thing I heard at 10 o'clock Saturday night while taking a leak off the front porch of the cabin sure got me to thinking. I heard a big cat, mountain lion off in the distance. I got my son out of the cabin to hear it to back me up and the hair stood up on his neck when he heard it.
We have been there for a couple of years and were told by people that a lion had been spotted there a few times in canyons and they have been confirmed in the area by the rangers at Abilene State Park, not far away.

I've heard they can make a sound like a woman screaming and let me tell you, once you have heard it, you know what it is.
I got to thinking if a lion has moved into the area, that would have to impact the deer activity.
We find deer kills each year in the creek beds of our property, I always assumed yotes, because the parts are scattered all along the creek and always left on the ground.

It makes you think a bit when walking to your stand at dark. I'm like JASB said, I'm about to piss on the fire and call the dogs for the season. Not holding much hope except for my son being able to hunt the late doe season. Usually they come back to the corn after Jan 1, maybe get some more grinding meat then.

Edited by Sparky45 (12/21/14 06:57 PM)

#5491566 - 12/21/14 07:14 PM Re: Maybe the reason I haven't seen many deer lately [Re: Sparky45]
Wilhunt Online   content
Veteran Tracker

Loc: New Braunfels, San Saba county
I hunt in central Texas and we have the same problem of no deer. The area had more rain this past year than before and I guess that contributed to a bumper crop of acorns and forbes. Recently we are hearing more yotes and wonder if that may be our problem. Seems there are a lot of reports like this so maybe it is not yotes or mountain lion. Just natural foods??

#5491607 - 12/21/14 07:31 PM Re: Maybe the reason I haven't seen many deer lately [Re: Wilhunt]
dogcatcher Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Abilene or on the road...
Originally Posted By: wilhunt
I hunt in central Texas and we have the same problem of no deer. The area had more rain this past year than before and I guess that contributed to a bumper crop of acorns and forbes. Recently we are hearing more yotes and wonder if that may be our problem. Seems there are a lot of reports like this so maybe it is not yotes or mountain lion. Just natural foods??

X2

_______ Old style calls for today's outdoorsman_________

#5491642 - 12/21/14 07:44 PM Re: Maybe the reason I haven't seen many deer lately [Re: Sparky45]
T Bone Online   happy
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Up in the cheap seats..
We're near Glen Rose & the boys at a local feed store have heard reports & have pics of a few cats that've been shot recently.. And yea, we're not seeing the #'s we were seeing earlier in the year either...

#5491662 - 12/21/14 07:54 PM Re: Maybe the reason I haven't seen many deer lately [Re: Sparky45]
breadman Offline
Tracker

Loc: huntsville texas
the same in maddision and walker county.

#5491691 - 12/21/14 08:03 PM Re: Maybe the reason I haven't seen many deer lately [Re: Sparky45]
colt.45 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: wondering about the woods
has heard one on lease was on before. not an expert on them. They have a pretty good size range. confused2 seen plenty of deer though. like U. had bout 4 different bucks show up on cams before gun deer season & does. stand is were every year does seen with fawns. last year on hunts seen doe on two different hunts, this year hunted opening week end, seen squirrels, few night hunts hour or two, saw some bats flying around. tis 4 deer here, lots of hunters, could be they been taken. cams will tell after season over what servives. theirs always next year. hang in thar. best wishes flag

i'm postaddic

#5491717 - 12/21/14 08:11 PM Re: Maybe the reason I haven't seen many deer lately [Re: dogcatcher]
colt.45 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Originally Posted By: dogcatcher

X2

cheers x3 tis like every one tells me bout the hogs, they'll be back scratch twas waiting for them this evening. deer corn is piling up on ground. flag

i'm postaddic

#5491724 - 12/21/14 08:12 PM Re: Maybe the reason I haven't seen many deer lately [Re: dogcatcher]
Western Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Wise County Texas
Originally Posted By: dogcatcher

X2

X's3

The first 5 day's after the weekend, are the hardest....

Dennis

#5491727 - 12/21/14 08:14 PM Re: Maybe the reason I haven't seen many deer lately [Re: Sparky45]
Nogalus Prairie Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Corsicana
There are mountain lions all over the west. They are not generally a problem for overall populations. Would be way down on my list of suspects for an overall deer decline in a given area.

#5492365 - 12/22/14 07:55 AM Re: Maybe the reason I haven't seen many deer lately [Re: Sparky45]
huntwest Online   content
Pro Tracker

Loc: Albany
Same here in Albany. I have two places 16 miles apart and no deer. I think that the drought has finally taken its toll.

#5492437 - 12/22/14 08:26 AM Re: Maybe the reason I haven't seen many deer lately [Re: Sparky45]
John Humbert Online   content
Pro Tracker

I doubt if a lion ran your deer off. It just doesn't work that way. First, lions are constantly on the move and are snatch and grab feeders. They just don't stay in an area very long. The only time I have ever heard of a lion sticking around more than a few days or week is if there is an abundant EASY food source snd/or it is a momma cat with young. And when I just easy food source I mean like domesticated livestock like goats or sheep.

Secondly, we've had a couple of lions on our lease and even got cam pics. It doesn't seem to affect the deer. Deer are homebodies, rarely relocating. Many pics of deer back at the feeder 30 minutes before or after lion on cam.

Now pigs are another matter. If you have hogs, a cat will sure nuff run the hogs off. Cats LOVE hogs and will hunt and eat them over deer almost every time. The reason is that hogs are easier to catch, usually travel in groups, can approach them easier, and provide a lot of meat in a tiny package. Plus they seem to be "training" animals for young cats.

I think there are a lot more common reasons why you're not seeing deer besides a big cat.

#5492471 - 12/22/14 08:44 AM Re: Maybe the reason I haven't seen many deer lately [Re: huntwest]
colt.45 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Originally Posted By: huntwest
Same here in Albany. I have two places 16 miles apart and no deer. I think that the drought has finally taken its toll.

what is going on confused2 with drought deer should be at water & baiting areas. no deer nor hogs showing up here eather, then plenty of brows here. dueling with android. post done gone missing. best wishes flag

i'm postaddic

#5492483 - 12/22/14 08:48 AM Re: Maybe the reason I haven't seen many deer lately [Re: Sparky45]
Navasot Online   content
Natty Love

Loc: Normangee/Navasota TX
Same has happened all over Texas.. just to good of weather for the deer to come to feed sites.

http://www.j5tractors.com/

#5492486 - 12/22/14 08:48 AM Re: Maybe the reason I haven't seen many deer lately [Re: Sparky45]
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi

I wonder if that sound that sounds like a woman screaming..is really a woman screaming. peep

Not seeing any deer could not be from hunting the same feeder every time you hunt. Hunting that same blind no matter what the wind is. Getting out and spooking deer off when it is time to go. None of this has little effect on deer movement. rolleyes

I have less deer(specifically bucks by incidental counts) around my feeders today than in October. But it rained close to 6" since then. My problem is fresh new growth winter green that is everywhere. It is taking the deer much longer to get to my blind locations than in years past.

#5492543 - 12/22/14 09:16 AM Re: Maybe the reason I haven't seen many deer lately [Re: Sparky45]
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Dollas,Taxes Bluff Dale Tx
I know that "rescue" grass is all over the place right now. Lions are out there, but I believe the natural foods is the reason you're not seeing game 2cents

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide