Forum Stats
60446 Members
45 Forums
475856 Topics
6242536 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#5491303 - 12/21/14 05:24 PM Deer hunting coming to an end.
Koenig Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Denton TX
Anyone believe that the cost of leases and land availability is bringing hunting to an end? I am starting to think we are the last generation of deer hunters. And like in Europe hunting will be a sport only available to the rich.

Originally Posted By: SnakeWrangler
never trust a man that rents pigs....

#5491420 - 12/21/14 06:04 PM Re: Deer hunting coming to an end. [Re: Koenig]
postoak Online   content
Veteran Tracker

Loc: The Woodlands, Tx
I think it will be a while. So many people own land or have family that owns land. But I could see one day where everything is package hunts where deer are raised like livestock and you just come out for a weekend and harvest your animals.

#5491884 - 12/21/14 09:19 PM Re: Deer hunting coming to an end. [Re: Koenig]
Cow_doc.308 Online   content
Pro Tracker

Loc: Ellis Co.
Maybe in Texas but most other states have a lot of public land. I know it can't support all hunters but it will keep opportunities available to everyone.

I don't know if there is another state that has less public land (percentage wise) than TX

#5492974 - 12/22/14 12:33 PM Re: Deer hunting coming to an end. [Re: Koenig]
postoak Online   content
Veteran Tracker

Loc: The Woodlands, Tx
Yep, lack of public land is an issue because more and more land is worth more to people for recreational purposes than for farming or ranching, and that type of owner has no interest in leasing the land because he doesn't need the money.

#5493089 - 12/22/14 01:21 PM Re: Deer hunting coming to an end. [Re: Koenig]
Grosvenor Online   content
Pro Tracker

Loc: Portland, Texas
No

#5493150 - 12/22/14 01:44 PM Re: Deer hunting coming to an end. [Re: Koenig]
Gone to Texas Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Hurst
Hunting is slowly becoming a rich mans sport. I think 10-15 years down the road or so it will mostly be high fenced hunting on game ranches.

However, with all the budget rifles out today, people can still get into the sport at a somewhat affordable price. Being in Texas it is much easier to get into hunting; nice people, easier to find used equipment, more places to hunt. However, in other states like in the north east, hunting is almost gone for good.

Its more important to get youngsters out and show them the joys of hunting, they will be able to keep the sport alive.

Edited by Gone to Texas (12/22/14 01:44 PM)

#5493202 - 12/22/14 02:08 PM Re: Deer hunting coming to an end. [Re: Koenig]
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi

No

#5493206 - 12/22/14 02:09 PM Re: Deer hunting coming to an end. [Re: Koenig]
Erich Offline
Tracker

Loc: Cibolo, TX
Hunting has certainly gone up in price. its gone from something that cost only the bullet you fired and was done for meat only...to something that has evolved nearly 100% into a recreational activity. I mean I know a great many people still consume the meat, some to a high degree. but there are few to no people out there who are subsistence hunting still. I think most people could still get their meat at the store for less than it cost them to hunt it.

that being the case....name anything else that hasn't gone up wildly in price over say the last 25yrs....

gas is triple cost, land is triple cost, corn is triple cost, ammo is triple the cost....so is just about anything else you buy hunting related or not.

it sucks to see it cost what it does. but I don't think its because the sport itself is being handed to the rich. truthfully...I think I see more people owning guns and looking for hunting opportunities today than I ever have before. I think there's more folks wanting to do it. of course not everyone is going to be able to own their own land....that's always been a rich mans game. and as there's more demand for leases...then price goes up with demand.

I see no problem with package hunting. sure its not as preferred as a season long lease. but look how many more interested hunters can be served that way instead of leasing the entire place to a small handful of folks for the whole year. plus....package hunt places are usually well managed....it serves a lot of hunters and not at the detriment of the wildlife.

there's plenty of smaller leases or day leases out there where people kill everything alive for the sake of a dollar....wildlife is destroyed.

#5493211 - 12/22/14 02:12 PM Re: Deer hunting coming to an end. [Re: Koenig]
Erich Offline
Tracker

I tell you what I do see these days that's disappointing....

is a whole bunch of folks who know nothing about firearms or gun safety, or hunting, or land stewardship...because nobody took the time to teach them....and now they own a bunch of machine guns and want to go shoot the hell out of whatever they can find. it scares the heck outa me to visit the rifle range anymore these days.

you don't see many folks who know how to go about hunting.

#5493225 - 12/22/14 02:16 PM Re: Deer hunting coming to an end. [Re: Koenig]
Jimbo Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: The last LF ranch in S. Texas
The early days of hunting after WW2 most of the country was rural folks, and over the years cities have grown tremendously and people moved to the cities and what began is urban sprawl.
Just twenty years ago I hunted an area north of SA that was all hills and rocks and trees, and now it's all concrete, homes and a Walmart where I used to hunt.
Yes it's going to end because we are running out of land to hunt, and the land that is left that doesn't have a shopping mall or oil well rig is going to go for premium price of even more than it is now.
The outlook is grim and there is no turning back!

Edited by Jimbo (12/22/14 02:18 PM)

#5493256 - 12/22/14 02:24 PM Re: Deer hunting coming to an end. [Re: Koenig]
Erich Offline
Tracker

hunting in the hill country area that's anywhere close to a city is going to go away. eventually the land will just all develop. anywhere near a metroplex.

you've got expanses of land though north/west/south though that won't develop....or not anytime soon.

the days of living in town and driving 20-30min or less to hunt will go away. already have to a large extent unless you just happen to know someone who owns a small pocket yet. where there's rural land though, there will be hunting. demand in the absence of availability though drives up cost.

#5493380 - 12/22/14 03:37 PM Re: Deer hunting coming to an end. [Re: Koenig]
spg Offline
Tracker

Hunting has evolved into management of the deer, in turn all one has to say is this land has been under management for the last X amount of years and the price goes up which it should because management isn't cheap. The price is always higher where bigger deer are known to have been taken. With all the management practices over the past years people are growing bigger deer making unknown area's more expensive. That's how I look at it, I don't think we'll see Europe hunting prices in the states. The gun laws are what make it so expensive to acquire a hunt in Europe. Just keep voting and buying guns, become a NRA member if you aren't already.

#5494847 - 12/23/14 08:51 AM Re: Deer hunting coming to an end. [Re: Koenig]
Erich Offline
Tracker

you almost have to be some sort of management minded though....it helps preserve the resource and helps you make the most out of the place you have to hunt. its amazing how much more productive a piece of property can be for hunting under good management.

a hunter who all he does is start feeding a week or two before the season...kills his buck/bucks...and then stops all activities on the property....no judgement just making an example....what has he done? besides distort the deer ratio. how many people can really do this on a piece of property before it ends up being pretty shot up....

now deer manage the same place...you've got a number of bucks to shoot...a number of does to shoot...lots of folks could have the opportunity to harvest one or several deer. they may not all be bucks....but its hunting and they are good deer. and at the end of the season...the property and deer herd is in better shape than you found it.

the days of trecking out to some remote wilderness where nobody else hunts and shooting a wallhanger and going back home are sorta gone. I mean there's places you can do this I suppose...but they are difficult or costly destinations and not open to many folks. most are working with a lease, or a smaller piece of property that they share...maybe just a few hundred acres...maybe less. you find a way to make the most out of what you have. management does that. good management and a HF offers a person with 200ac a similar hunting opportunity as someone with 2000ac. allows them to accomplish management goals that the neighboring properties may not have otherwise allowed them to.

there's plenty folks out there who talk about deer mgt and don't know or understand what it all means. but in its simplest form...its preserving/enhancing a resource so that your hunting experience only gets better as time goes on.

instead of filling all ur buck tags and wondering if you'll see any bucks next year....practice some management and know that you'll see bucks next year and they'll be bigger than the ones you saw before.

#5494966 - 12/23/14 09:31 AM Re: Deer hunting coming to an end. [Re: Koenig]
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Dollas,Taxes Bluff Dale Tx
This discussion is very timely. My FIL and I hunt about 5 minutes outside of Gruene. A very large ranch next to his 200 acres just sold. It's going to be turned into a 1500 home subdivision with a new HWY running from 46 to Hueco springs loop. My old fishing area on the Guadalupe just sold, gonna' build 18, million dollar mansions on 5 acres next to the river. I used to find arrowheads and pottery sherds there. It was a native American campsite. They scraped the dirt and hauled off all the topsoil. Very sad. Such is 'progress', I guess.

#5495003 - 12/23/14 09:47 AM Re: Deer hunting coming to an end. [Re: Koenig]
tShawnB Offline
Tracker

Loc: Rolling Plains
Not in my lifetime, but yes, it will eventually be a hobby that only a select few can participate in. I am paying 6 grand now to hunt a lease and would pay more for a better lease. If you told me 10 years ago a lease to kill deer would cost 6 grand plus, I would have probably gave up hunting then before it was too late! BTW, there is always Mexico, lots of land down there to hunt if your willing; some real big deer too.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide