Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: B&C Scoring of Captive Deer [Re: 7ARanch] #5487539 12/19/14 05:00 PM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45
Originally Posted By: 7ARanch
First from a legal perspective unless it is trademarked or has a utility patent they don't have a leg to stand on. No I'm not a lawyer but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn at some point in my life.

back

rofl tis how they do it in texas rofl do ta Gov. shut down rofl i tip my cowboy hat ta U, sir. flag

i'm postaddic
Re: B&C Scoring of Captive Deer [Re: FordEvangelist] #5487571 12/19/14 05:13 PM
Curtis Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B&C has a good opinion.

Double Arrow Bow Hunting
www.doublearrowbowhunting.com
Bow hunters welcome!
Whitetail-Axis-Blackbuck-Fallow-Barasingha-Scimitar Oryx
Located in Gonzales County.
Visit our Facebook page for current updates!

Re: B&C Scoring of Captive Deer [Re: FordEvangelist] #5487628 12/19/14 05:39 PM
T
TXPride Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
I think folks will still use the scoring system, they just won't be able to tack on the phrase "Boone and Crockett" or "B&C" at the end of it.

I think it is a bold step for the organization and is getting applause from professionals in the wildlife biology field.

I think it is commendable they stand up for their opinions and don't want to be associated with deer farming practices, regardless of offending some folks with lots of money or people with clouded views on what "hunting" is.

Last edited by TXPride; 12/19/14 05:39 PM.

Re: B&C Scoring of Captive Deer [Re: FordEvangelist] #5487872 12/19/14 07:52 PM
kry226 Online Content
The General
Online Content
The General
The latest. It just keeps going. Today B&C shared a picture from the Book of Faces page of "Texans for Saving Our Hunting Heritage".

[Linked Image]
Re: B&C Scoring of Captive Deer [Re: FordEvangelist] #5487889 12/19/14 07:58 PM
kry226 Online Content
The General
Online Content
The General

[Linked Image]
Re: B&C Scoring of Captive Deer [Re: kry226] #5487934 12/19/14 08:30 PM
D
dawaba Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: kry226
The latest. It just keeps going. Today B&C shared a picture from the Book of Faces page of "Texans for Saving Our Hunting Heritage".

I am unable to find this link on the B&C website. I know Jenny Sanders is getting a lot of ink these days in newspaper op-eds, but I was unaware that the B&C Club had hitched its wagon to her outfit.

Can you help make the connection for me? I admit to being just a pup when it comes to surfing the Internet.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple.....and wrong." H. L. Mencken
Re: B&C Scoring of Captive Deer [Re: BOBO the Clown] #5487954 12/19/14 08:36 PM
D
dawaba Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
Originally Posted By: kry226
Sheesh...

Pioneers in conservation????

B&C basically stood side by side with Priscilla Feral on the Scimitar Oryx.. Great conservation !!!

Bobo, I've never heard of an alliance between Feral--or any anti hunting group--and B&C. Are you certain about this?

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple.....and wrong." H. L. Mencken
Re: B&C Scoring of Captive Deer [Re: FordEvangelist] #5487964 12/19/14 08:43 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
When you decide to draw a hardline in the sand against something and be vocal about it. You loose your ability to pick and choose your support for or against. You are one way or the other. B&C has made it very clear how they feel about restricted private property access and restricted wildlife access.

http://m.humanesociety.org/news/press_releases/2012/04/federal_rule_limiting_captive_040512.html

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: B&C Scoring of Captive Deer [Re: BOBO the Clown] #5488028 12/19/14 09:13 PM
D
dawaba Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
When you decide to draw a hardline in the sand against something and be vocal about it. You loose your ability to pick and choose your support for or against. You are one way or the other. B&C has made it very clear how they feel about restricted private property access and restricted wildlife access.

http://m.humanesociety.org/news/press_releases/2012/04/federal_rule_limiting_captive_040512.html

It looks like HSUS has unilaterally crawled in bed with B&C and P&Y....and without the endorsement of either, I'm betting.

Anytime you make a position statement on a controversial issue, you're bound to anger someone......as B&C has done. Just ask hunters here regarding AR counties or HF/LF. Frankly, I admire anyone, or any organization, who shuns the middle of the road and is unafraid to say what he believes. The only thing in the middle of the road are dead possums.

Re: B&C Scoring of Captive Deer [Re: FordEvangelist] #5488041 12/19/14 09:23 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
I'm sure it's with out endorsement, but their statement leaves little to provide an exist.

B&C should stick to conservation moments geared toward public lands. They obviously have an issue with private property via access and restrictions caused by it.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: B&C Scoring of Captive Deer [Re: dawaba] #5488131 12/19/14 10:38 PM
kry226 Online Content
The General
Online Content
The General
Originally Posted By: dawaba
I am unable to find this link on the B&C website. I know Jenny Sanders is getting a lot of ink these days in newspaper op-eds, but I was unaware that the B&C Club had hitched its wagon to her outfit.

Can you help make the connection for me? I admit to being just a pup when it comes to surfing the Internet.

It's not on their website, it's on their Facebook page. If you are on the Book of Faces, find B&C and Like their page. You'll be able to see where they shared the above photo from the aforementioned group. Also, if you read the comments, you'll see where some folks have outed the leader of said organization as having connections to and benefiting from a high fence hunting operation.

[Linked Image]
Re: B&C Scoring of Captive Deer [Re: FordEvangelist] #5488189 12/19/14 11:29 PM
T
TXPride Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Why are people trying to make this a high fence debate? I am thinking it's mainly geared towards deer breeding.

Not all bucks behind fences have a known pedigree.

Re: B&C Scoring of Captive Deer [Re: TXPride] #5488225 12/20/14 12:00 AM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: TXPride
Why are people trying to make this a high fence debate? I am thinking it's mainly geared towards deer breeding.

B&C doesn't diferenciate between the two. They consider it the same. 20k acres or 3acres they don't care. Unless it's an island then apparently they don't care

Re: B&C Scoring of Captive Deer [Re: BOBO the Clown] #5488264 12/20/14 12:30 AM
T
TXPride Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T

B&C doesn't diferenciate between the two. They consider it the same. 20k acres or 3acres they don't care. Unless it's an island then apparently they don't care

You may be right, because I don't know there history, but Where do you get that information? They are specially saying captive bred deer. Or are you referencing them saying they are captive in any high fence operation?

This is there stanow from their website:

Tuesday, December 16, 2014 - The Boone and Crockett Club today reaffirmed its objection and rejection to the use of its name and scoring system in conjunction with captive deer and elk. So says an official resolution presented and signed by Club president William A. Demmer.

The resolution was ratified at Boone and Crockett's 127th annual meeting, which concluded Dec. 7, 2014 in St. Petersburg, Fla. The resolution reads:

"The Boone and Crockett Club scoring system exists to document the successful conservation of wild game animals in North America. The Boone and Crockett Club objects to and rejects any use of or reference to the Boone and Crockett Club or its scoring system in connection with antlers/horns grown by animals in captivity."

Last edited by TXPride; 12/20/14 12:34 AM.

Re: B&C Scoring of Captive Deer [Re: TXPride] #5488283 12/20/14 12:44 AM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T

You may be right, because I don't know there history, but Where do you get that information? They are specially saying captive bred deer. Or are you referencing them saying they are captive in any high fence operation?

Tuesday, December 16, 2014 - The Boone and Crockett Club today reaffirmed its objection and rejection to the use of its name and scoring system in conjunction with captive deer and elk. So says an official resolution presented and signed by Club president William A. Demmer.

The resolution was ratified at Boone and Crockett's 127th annual meeting, which concluded Dec. 7, 2014 in St. Petersburg, Fla. The resolution reads:

"The Boone and Crockett Club scoring system exists to document the successful conservation of wild game animals in North America. The Boone and Crockett Club objects to and rejects any use of or reference to the Boone and Crockett Club or its scoring system in connection with antlers/horns grown by animals in captivity."

They have always discriminated against any high fenced deer. Even native deer behind a 20,000 acre high fence are not allowed in their books.

Which is fine with me. Their game, their rules. But, when anyone declares war on my preferred way to hunt/provide hunts, then they better expect a fight.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: B&C Scoring of Captive Deer [Re: TXPride] #5488286 12/20/14 12:46 AM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

Any fence that deters them from coming and going they consider captive. They have always excluded the entry of HF to their books. They have just gone a step further and degrade other hunters trophies, with words.

Re: B&C Scoring of Captive Deer [Re: therancher] #5488287 12/20/14 12:48 AM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
I personally don't give a rats azz what the folks at B&C think.

I think it's ironic that their club is named after two of the most famous market hunters, who didn't give 2 chitz about conservation. Kind of explains B&C's lack of conservation knowledge I guess.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: B&C Scoring of Captive Deer [Re: therancher] #5488313 12/20/14 01:02 AM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: therancher
I personally don't give a rats azz what the folks at B&C think.

I think it's ironic that their club is named after two of the most famous market hunters, who didn't give 2 chitz about conservation. Kind of explains B&C's lack of conservation knowledge I guess.

sums it up nicely

Re: B&C Scoring of Captive Deer [Re: kry226] #5488325 12/20/14 01:12 AM
T
TonyinVA Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
From B&C website:

"Please note that the Boone and Crockett Club score charts are protected by copyright laws. The score charts reproduced in this section are for personal use only and not acceptable for entry in the Club's Awards Program. Official score charts can be obtained from official measurers or the Club's headquarters at a nominal price. "

I must be missing something. How do they stop you from having a deer..any deer...measuring it using the B&C scoring system and saying what it scores?....I suspect they do not want the "Boone and Crockett" name associated with high fence and/or deer breeding advertisements.

Re: B&C Scoring of Captive Deer [Re: FordEvangelist] #5488354 12/20/14 01:30 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Obviously I applaud them calling a spade a spade. It is their scoring system and they have every right to weigh in on any aspect of the system they devised. You don't like it-use the SCI or Buckmasters or water displacement system. Think I'll renew my membership.

Last edited by Nogalus Prairie; 12/20/14 01:32 AM.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: B&C Scoring of Captive Deer [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5488378 12/20/14 01:43 AM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
Obviously I applaud them calling a spade a spade. It is their scoring system and they have every right to weigh in on any aspect of the system they devised. You don't like it-use the SCI or Buckmasters or water displacement system. Think I'll renew my membership.

Just don't forget to submit your draw application to antelope island up

Re: B&C Scoring of Captive Deer [Re: BOBO the Clown] #5488416 12/20/14 02:11 AM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Just don't forget to submit your draw application to antelope island up

No joke. And is it REALLY "hunting" when you go chase sheep up a mountain with no cover??? Kinda like shooting fish in a barrel IMO. Not that I'm opposed to it.... Just call it what it is, shooting sheep on a rock.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: B&C Scoring of Captive Deer [Re: FordEvangelist] #5488456 12/20/14 02:37 AM
K
krmitchell Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
K
Why not just make a seperate scoring system and records for high fenced deer. Same as TPWD recognizes fish caught on private water, which IMO is the same as high fencing. Just have a seperate category, let people choose if they want to celebrate others trophys, no matter where they were obtained. Just my .02 cents. Doesn't Impact me one way or another.

Last edited by rexmitchell; 12/20/14 02:38 AM.
Re: B&C Scoring of Captive Deer [Re: krmitchell] #5488539 12/20/14 03:28 AM
T
TonyinVA Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: rexmitchell
Why not just make a seperate scoring system and records for high fenced deer. Same as TPWD recognizes fish caught on private water, which IMO is the same as high fencing. Just have a seperate category, let people choose if they want to celebrate others trophys, no matter where they were obtained. Just my .02 cents. Doesn't Impact me one way or another.

SCI is very similar to B&C they primarily just don't have all the symmetry deductions and they handle abnormal points a little differently on typicals. What they do is have a free range category and an "Estate" category which is high fence.

Re: B&C Scoring of Captive Deer [Re: BOBO the Clown] #5488578 12/20/14 03:45 AM
D
dawaba Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D

B&C doesn't recognize trophies that were taken from the late great Santa Rosa Island, even though the island was nearly 90 square miles and no fences anywhere. Apparently the Pacific Ocean served to imprison the elk and mule deer, which weren't considered native despite having lived there for nearly a century.

I hunted Santa Rosa twice, and the animals were as wild and elusive as any on the mainland. The management program simply allowed the animals to live long enough to reach their trophy potential, and some great trophies were taken. But you couldn't enter them in the Book. Otherwise, my mule deer would have been my 7th animal to be listed there.

Once the Park Service appropriated the island, all the deer and elk were exterminated, the last ones by government sharpshooters from a helicopter. Our tax dollars at work.....

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide