Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
What do you look for in a lease? #5481310 12/16/14 08:10 PM
Creekrunner Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
Thought it might bring up some different opinions. What are some of the things you look for, and look out for in a potential lease?

My first preference is the lowest hunter to acreage ratio I can find (and afford).
My biggest turn off, and I'm sure some will disagree, is...goats/sheep on the property.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: What do you look for in a lease? [Re: Creekrunner] #5481335 12/16/14 08:24 PM
M
Mr. T. Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
I know that some will disagree, but if I had a choice I would never get on a lease that had goats or sheep. They compete for the same food sourse, (browse) that the deer do. Cattle, even though they always seem to be at my feeder during prime hunting time only eat grass for the most part.

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: What do you look for in a lease? [Re: Creekrunner] #5481512 12/16/14 09:44 PM
T
txbobcat Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Potential is what I look for.

Re: What do you look for in a lease? [Re: Creekrunner] #5481672 12/16/14 10:53 PM
R
rattler03 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
Potential for good deer, fair price, ability to stay on lease for years to come, not too far from home, family friendly, year-round access and a good group of guys to hunt with.

Re: What do you look for in a lease? [Re: rattler03] #5482218 12/17/14 02:13 AM
D
DQ Kid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: rattler03
Potential for good deer, fair price, ability to stay on lease for years to come, not too far from home, family friendly, year-round access and a good group of guys to hunt with.

What is meant by year-round access, "the ability to go out there every week/every weekend annually if desired"? Curious as to what would be the need to have unfettered "year round access" outside of hunting seasons. I understand the occasional trip out there to keep feeders full, is that what you mean? Otherwise I could see where a landowner may have pause or hesitation for "unfettered" year-round access. Please elaborate as I'm curious.

Re: What do you look for in a lease? [Re: Creekrunner] #5482305 12/17/14 02:45 AM
R
rattler03 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
By "year-round access" I mean that I want to be allowed to go to the lease throughout the year and hunt hogs, turkeys, etc., fill feeders, work on other hunting related projects, or just get away from the city. All the leases I've been on and most of the leases I've heard about from others have been like this, so while some landowners may not want to offer this privilege a lot of them are ok with it. IME it is not that uncommon.

Re: What do you look for in a lease? [Re: rattler03] #5482329 12/17/14 02:51 AM
C
cabosandinh Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
"Potential for "variety of game", fair price, ability to stay on lease for years to come, not too far from home, family friendly, year-round access and a good group of guys to hunt with "

+ elevation change, pond, scenic and most important = have hogs

Re: What do you look for in a lease? [Re: rattler03] #5482337 12/17/14 02:54 AM
D
DQ Kid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
By "year-round access" I mean that I want to be allowed to go to the lease throughout the year and hunt hogs, turkeys, etc., fill feeders, work on other hunting related projects, or just get away from the city. All the leases I've been on and most of the leases I've heard about from others have been like this, so while some landowners may not want to offer this privilege a lot of them are ok with it. IME it is not that uncommon.

I see, not sure how that would've gone over on our very long-term South Texas lease. We've very much limited our trips out there to hunting seasons and a very occasional work weekend closer to upcoming deer season. Being a working cattle ranch too, not sure I'd want to be out there so much. Since we've never had a contract in 30+ years of hunting it, not sure I'd like to "test the water" even if wanted to be out there more.

Re: What do you look for in a lease? [Re: DQ Kid] #5482343 12/17/14 02:56 AM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms
Originally Posted By: DQ Kid

What is meant by year-round access, "the ability to go out there every week/every weekend annually if desired"? Curious as to what would be the need to have unfettered "year round access" outside of hunting seasons. I understand the occasional trip out there to keep feeders full, is that what you mean? Otherwise I could see where a landowner may have pause or hesitation for "unfettered" year-round access. Please elaborate as I'm curious.

We have year around access to our place. We can ride 4 wheelers, go varmint hunting, no hogs on the place or we could shoot them, go camping, go fishing, shoot the guns,etc. I can go anytime and don't have to call the rancher or the LO (but I do buy him steak and pay for his golf grin)

As far as the other things that rattler mentioned, spot on for me.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: What do you look for in a lease? [Re: Creekrunner] #5482476 12/17/14 03:42 AM
D
DQ Kid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
I look for location, prior hunting history and potential, the topography and surrounding ranches' topography, will walk the property looking for "deer sign - scat, crossings, rubs, scrapes, etc." and lastly if the prior exists, the price.

Re: What do you look for in a lease? [Re: Creekrunner] #5484597 12/18/14 02:26 AM
Creekrunner Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
Just discovered a new no-go for me: If the ramrod of the lease says he's "taking applications".

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: What do you look for in a lease? [Re: Creekrunner] #5486617 12/19/14 02:03 AM
D
dfk Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D
I want potential for the deer. The ability to manage the deer. I believe in year round access and think reducing varmints and hogs and 4 wheelers is nice. I'll never have time to spend every weekend at a lease thus it's not really an issue with the land owner (or at least shouldn't be). But there are always tasks to do. And I just like being in the outdoors.

The land should have water and cover for the deer.

And yes, "taking applications" is not high on the list either. But the lease group has to get along, follow the rules and be respectful. Be nice if they turn out to be great friends. Got some really good friends from past leases.

And learning as we go along. If I had a great lease, I certainly wouldn't still be looking.

Re: What do you look for in a lease? [Re: Creekrunner] #5488055 12/19/14 09:32 PM
Creekrunner Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
Judging from another thread under this topic and some guys I've met on some past leases, some folks take killing a deer waaaay too serious. It's supposed to be recreation.

Re: What do you look for in a lease? [Re: Creekrunner] #5500353 12/26/14 03:52 PM
E
Erich Offline
Tracker
Tracker
E
I suppose every situation is different. I think it important for a person to understand that they are only seeking permission to hunt....they do not own the land. the more they wish to act like they own the land....either the more it will cost....or the fewer open doors they will find.

most folks who own land are either hunters themselves...or ranchers...though you are paying money..your use of the property will be secondary to theirs.

just be reasonable and flexible. there's opportunities out there. in everything you do....be respectful of the landowner and appreciative of what they've allowed you to do on their land. regardless of what you paid for it.

one of our best hunting camps of all time...an older lady outside boerne....we leased there for over 20yrs. she treated us better than anyone I've ever known. but she had rules....and you'd damned well better have followed them. after a few years of showing her that we would abide and that we were thankful.....hell it was like we were family. she let us do whatever. but you still don't take advantage.

find a place where there are deer...people you can work with...and take care of the place. everyone's perspective will be different. but those basic things don't change.

Outdoorsman
Re: What do you look for in a lease? [Re: Creekrunner] #5500364 12/26/14 03:57 PM
E
Erich Offline
Tracker
Tracker
E
for instance.....on our boerne lease

it was a hunting lease only...no target shooting, little to no drinking, no recreational driving around, no bringing a lotta folks along who were fellow lease members. we oculd access the property year round to feed or maintain our stands....but no other hunting besides deer hunting during deer season. there were some exotics there....but you shot them during deer season. not year round.

if you killed a deer....she had a place she wanted you to take the guts/hides/etc. respect the camp and property. etc

sounds restrictive maybe to a lotta folks. but if someone was to come hunting on land of mine the rules would be the same.

Outdoorsman
Re: What do you look for in a lease? [Re: Erich] #5500383 12/26/14 04:08 PM
D
DQ Kid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: Erich
for instance.....on our boerne lease

it was a hunting lease only...no target shooting, little to no drinking, no recreational driving around, no bringing a lotta folks along who were fellow lease members. we oculd access the property year round to feed or maintain our stands....but no other hunting besides deer hunting during deer season. there were some exotics there....but you shot them during deer season. not year round.

if you killed a deer....she had a place she wanted you to take the guts/hides/etc. respect the camp and property. etc

sounds restrictive maybe to a lotta folks. but if someone was to come hunting on land of mine the rules would be the same.

Sound advice Erich..

Re: What do you look for in a lease? [Re: Creekrunner] #5502647 12/27/14 08:38 PM
R
rim shot Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
R
This is a great thread so I just want to see what you guys thought of this opportunity I have. 400 acres 4 hunters ( we all know each other) year round hunting if we want to hunt turkey,hogs and dove. Small cabin with electric no water in side just outside.Rancher said we could take one buck 8 point or better and 2 does 1,500.00 per gun. This is right outside of Santa Anna in Colman County.After talking to the rancher a few times I finally asked why the other group was leaving. He said they never communicated with him and little respect for the land or him so being in their option year he does not think they will be back.So I'm hoping to see the lease after the first of the year.I think the money sounds right if there are deer on it don't you think.

Re: What do you look for in a lease? [Re: rim shot] #5502862 12/27/14 10:37 PM
D
DQ Kid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: rim shot
This is a great thread so I just want to see what you guys thought of this opportunity I have. 400 acres 4 hunters ( we all know each other) year round hunting if we want to hunt turkey,hogs and dove. Small cabin with electric no water in side just outside.Rancher said we could take one buck 8 point or better and 2 does 1,500.00 per gun. This is right outside of Santa Anna in Colman County.After talking to the rancher a few times I finally asked why the other group was leaving. He said they never communicated with him and little respect for the land or him so being in their option year he does not think they will be back.So I'm hoping to see the lease after the first of the year.I think the money sounds right if there are deer on it don't you think.

Is that one 8 pt. buck or better per gun or between the 4 guns and 2 does ea. or between the 4 guns? If ea., sounds reasonable...

Re: What do you look for in a lease? [Re: Creekrunner] #5502918 12/27/14 11:16 PM
R
rim shot Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
R
Each

Re: What do you look for in a lease? [Re: Creekrunner] #5504112 12/28/14 05:40 PM
A
allterrain Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
A
Here is my experience with what I look for. I like to have a 2 buck county, 2 and a half or 3 hour drive from home, land with character, tanks, creek, brush,hills, some open areas, and be reasonably priced with year round access. Hunter to land ratio is not important to me as long as the other hunters are mature and want to let the young deer grow and mature. I like to have fair and trustworthy hunters and most important is the the land owner is trust worthy and decent. I hear so many bad stories about lease owners and many bad stories of fellow hunters who have different rules for themselves then other hunters. It is a crap shoot to find a good place, so always have good hunting manners when you find a place that you like and want to stay.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide