Forum Stats
60476 Members
45 Forums
476145 Topics
6246123 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#5479953 - 12/15/14 09:23 PM How would you hunt this buck?
Kingfisher77 Offline
Light Foot

I've been hunting this Big 6 for the last few seasons...I'm not the only one, several of us have been hunting him hard. He haunts our dreams at night. Nobody has ever actually laid eyes on him, only camera pics.

I thought for sure he was dead until I saw this recent pic. We have him on camera regularly at the same feeder, but never during the day.

It's an unusually cool rack, and he's a pretty big guy...I have one tag left and a few weeks to get him.

If you were me, what would you do? Is there anything that I can do? Are there some deer that are 100% nocturnal and don't move at all during the day?

We are on about 700 acres, I gotta believe that he doesn't leave our place all that much as surely someone would have shot him by now. He is in decline, believe it or not he was bigger the last few years.

Every year we say we're gonna get him...no luck so far.

#5479978 - 12/15/14 09:30 PM Re: How would you hunt this buck? [Re: Kingfisher77]
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms

Loc: Mansfield, Texas
Hunt away from the feeder. Try to catch him moving to or from the bedding. Find the nearest water and see when he is hitting it. You are more than likely in the post rut, but may try calling. Good luck up

#5480078 - 12/15/14 10:06 PM Re: How would you hunt this buck? [Re: txshntr]
therock Online   content
Tracker

Loc: Southwest TX
Find the thickest, most secluded area on the place with a good view for him to watch from. Find where you think he may be coming out from late in the evenings or going back to early in the mornings. Don't go in the area, just scout from the outer edges. Big emphasis on camo and scent control, watch the wind. I think you are right in that he is mostly nocturnal. He probably won't come to grunts or rattling.
Deer Dont get old being dumb. Good luck!!

#5480085 - 12/15/14 10:10 PM Re: How would you hunt this buck? [Re: Kingfisher77]
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi

Move TC around to find the trails he is moving on coming into and leaving feeders at. Moving the TC around should also find the trails and area he is active in during the daylight. It will also show you if he is living on your lease. Once you find his daylight pattern move a tripod into that area or build a brush blind.

#5480138 - 12/15/14 10:29 PM Re: How would you hunt this buck? [Re: Kingfisher77]
Anytimeoutdoors1 Offline
Tracker

Loc: Springbranch tx.
^^^ like was said.
I use google earth to survey the area and find the likeliest bedding areas close to that feeder. First and last light of LST is when U will get UR chance. Get there extra early and stay till dark so he can't see u leave. Big old bucks like to sit and watch everything going on from cover. He has UR pattern down for the feeders and blinds. I did this with an old 8 worked like a charm. I caught him moving at 3:15 on a warm afternoon. Good luck to ya.
anytimeoutdoors@gmail.com

#5480145 - 12/15/14 10:31 PM Re: How would you hunt this buck? [Re: Kingfisher77]
Kingfisher77 Offline
Light Foot

I like the moving the TC idea, in fact we have already narrowed it down a little.

We have 3 cameras going, and this is the only camera that catches him. Also, he is always coming in from the same angle. Maybe just start there and reverse course, looking for a super thick area?

He's the only buck that we only see on one camera, most of our bucks roam around the place and hit at least 2 of the 3 feeders...he only likes this one.

#5480177 - 12/15/14 10:50 PM Re: How would you hunt this buck? [Re: Kingfisher77]
Kingfisher77 Offline
Light Foot

Anytimeoutdoors1, it's funny that you say that. Almost every saga of hunting the "deer we never see" ends in a mid afternoon shot, usually between 1:00 and 3:00.

That makes sense...I'll confess to hunting mostly early and late this season, taking mid day breaks.

I was much better about time in stand last season.

#5480210 - 12/15/14 11:24 PM Re: How would you hunt this buck? [Re: Kingfisher77]
Western Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Wise County Texas
I have seen bucks like that live in a patch of a few trees in an open field, put the TC in the direction you think he's coming from, but don't avoid the not so obvious.

The first 5 day's after the weekend, are the hardest....

Dennis

#5480230 - 12/15/14 11:46 PM Re: How would you hunt this buck? [Re: Kingfisher77]
dogcatcher Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Abilene or on the road...
Good luck.

_______ Old style calls for today's outdoorsman_________

#5480851 - 12/16/14 10:13 AM Re: How would you hunt this buck? [Re: stxranchman]
Pope&Young Online   content
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Watauga, TX / Hunt - Eastland
Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Move TC around to find the trails he is moving on coming into and leaving feeders at. Moving the TC around should also find the trails and area he is active in during the daylight. It will also show you if he is living on your lease. Once you find his daylight pattern move a tripod into that area or build a brush blind.

As stxranchman suggested... Using TC in situations like this can really payoff.

#5480863 - 12/16/14 10:15 AM Re: How would you hunt this buck? [Re: Kingfisher77]
KCH Offline
Bird Dog

Loc: Frisco, TX
Good luck with him...he's a beast for sure! Looks like a Defensive Tackle, lol...

#5480916 - 12/16/14 10:34 AM Re: How would you hunt this buck? [Re: Kingfisher77]
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms

Loc: Mansfield, Texas
Originally Posted By: Kingfisher77
I like the moving the TC idea, in fact we have already narrowed it down a little.

We have 3 cameras going, and this is the only camera that catches him. Also, he is always coming in from the same angle. Maybe just start there and reverse course, looking for a super thick area?

He's the only buck that we only see on one camera, most of our bucks roam around the place and hit at least 2 of the 3 feeders...he only likes this one.

You might be surprised where he is bedded. Many times, we end up finding them in the open areas that gives them the ability to see long distances and have multiple escape routes. Thick is where I would look first, but don't limit yourself to thinking he has to bed in cover. Good luck up

#5480960 - 12/16/14 10:52 AM Re: How would you hunt this buck? [Re: txshntr]
DuckCoach1985 Online   content
Pro Tracker

Loc: SMTX
Originally Posted By: txshntr

You might be surprised where he is bedded. Many times, we end up finding them in the open areas that gives them the ability to see long distances and have multiple escape routes. Thick is where I would look first, but don't limit yourself to thinking he has to bed in cover. Good luck up

^^^ This - Those old bucks get smart. Once you figure out his routine, set up in a spot where you haven't been before. Preferably off the ground. Hunt all day. If he's nocturnal he'll be moving around in the heat of the day when he knows you won't be there. Moving your TC's around will help you get an idea of his travel routes and movement times, but your best bet is to sit all day where you know he travels. Staying away from the feeders is also a good idea. Good luck!

#5481175 - 12/16/14 12:46 PM Re: How would you hunt this buck? [Re: txshntr]
Western Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Wise County Texas
Originally Posted By: txshntr

Copy cat, Gawd, short people roflmao

The first 5 day's after the weekend, are the hardest....

Dennis

#5481531 - 12/16/14 03:52 PM Re: How would you hunt this buck? [Re: Kingfisher77]
Deerhunter61 Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: DFW
I'd hunt him with a rifle...and midday.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide