6244644 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#5479204 - 12/15/14 04:29 PM Expandable broad heads and "Shoot-through Mesh"
TX TCAT Online   content
Bird Dog

Loc: Throckmorton County
Anyone ever witness this affecting arrow flight? I've been shooting rage expandables, but think I might switch to fixed blades after my experience this weekend. On Friday I had a perfect 27 yard, broadside shot at what would have been my biggest buck to date and missed... Feels pretty bad because I've never missed an animal within 50 yards, and I don't get to hunt again until New Year's Day.

This was also my first time to use the shoot through mesh that comes with most pop-up tent blinds. I usually take it off, but this was my cousin's spot (which I had full permission to hunt in) and he likes to leave it on. After searching for 2 hours for blood, my arrow, and the deer, none of which were found, I retreated back to the blind to start from square 1 and recreate the shot from my chair. On examining the hole in the mesh, it was pretty obvious that 2 of the blades had expanded upon contact with the mesh. How badly will this cause an arrow to be off course?

http://tjcatalani.wixsite.com/mysite

#5479227 - 12/15/14 04:38 PM Re: Expandable broad heads and "Shoot-through Mesh" [Re: TX TCAT]
dgilbert Online   content
6 pack abs

I don't think your suppose shoot mechanical through mesh, just fixed. But again I wouldn't shoot through mesh at all, wouldn't take a chance of something going wrong.

#5479250 - 12/15/14 04:47 PM Re: Expandable broad heads and "Shoot-through Mesh" [Re: TX TCAT]
Navasot Online   content
Natty Love

Loc: Normangee/Navasota TX
Yeah that mesh just gets in the way those pop ups are made to use the shadow to hide you. But there is no tellings were the arrow went. Was shooting with a buddy one day and he said man these new rages don't fly worth a flip... he shot one and I herd a swwiiiiiiiiiiiisssshhhhhh.... wth... I guess he didn't realize you had to set them and was shooitng them with the blades out lol.. arrow was going all over the place

http://www.j5tractors.com/

#5479264 - 12/15/14 04:52 PM Re: Expandable broad heads and "Shoot-through Mesh" [Re: TX TCAT]
TX TCAT Online   content
Bird Dog

Ha! My blades were definitely set to begin with. I guess I'm going to switch over to fixed blades...

#5479274 - 12/15/14 04:55 PM Re: Expandable broad heads and "Shoot-through Mesh" [Re: TX TCAT]
Navasot Online   content
Natty Love

Loc: Normangee/Navasota TX
May try NAP expendables they have a lot stouter set and I dout the mesh would open them. Not 100% though

http://www.j5tractors.com/

#5479690 - 12/15/14 07:52 PM Re: Expandable broad heads and "Shoot-through Mesh" [Re: Navasot]
ChrisB Online   content
Tracker

Loc: Prosper , TX
I wouldn't recommend shooting through the mesh at all. If you must, use a fixed head. I leave the window that I will be shooting out of open. I messed up once and shot a turkey through the actual pop up once but it was with a slick trick.

#5479804 - 12/15/14 08:36 PM Re: Expandable broad heads and "Shoot-through Mesh" [Re: dgilbert]
Jtmeeks Offline
Bird Dog

Loc: TEXOMA
Originally Posted By: dgilbert
I don't think your suppose shoot mechanical through mesh, just fixed. But again I wouldn't shoot through mesh at all, wouldn't take a chance of something going wrong.

THIS

#5479972 - 12/15/14 09:29 PM Re: Expandable broad heads and "Shoot-through Mesh" [Re: TX TCAT]
wisco-hunter Offline
Bird Dog

x2, the people that invented the shoot through mesh should be jailed...
Why is it that every time I push #1 for english, I cannot understand the person on the other end???

#5480812 - 12/16/14 10:01 AM Re: Expandable broad heads and "Shoot-through Mesh" [Re: TX TCAT]
sqiggy Offline

Loc: Franklin, Tx Hunt in Panola ...
Originally Posted By: TX TCAT
This was also my first time to use the shoot through mesh that comes with most pop-up tent blinds.
Nothing to blame but you. As a bowhunter myself, I would never try something that I had not practiced for first.
I see these kinds of threads all the time. It confuses me to death why people do not do a practice shot out of these blinds using the mesh.
What you should have done was open the window or move the mesh off to one side, giving you an opening to shoot thru.
I don't mean to bust your balls on this, but you owe it to the animal your after for a clean, fast kill shot.
What about your cousin? Has he practiced out of his blind?

#5481009 - 12/16/14 11:20 AM Re: Expandable broad heads and "Shoot-through Mesh" [Re: sqiggy]
TX TCAT Online   content
Bird Dog

Originally Posted By: sqiggy
Originally Posted By: TX TCAT
This was also my first time to use the shoot through mesh that comes with most pop-up tent blinds.
Nothing to blame but you. As a bowhunter myself, I would never try something that I had not practiced for first.
I see these kinds of threads all the time. It confuses me to death why people do not do a practice shot out of these blinds using the mesh.
What you should have done was open the window or move the mesh off to one side, giving you an opening to shoot thru.
I don't mean to bust your balls on this, but you owe it to the animal your after for a clean, fast kill shot.
What about your cousin? Has he practiced out of his blind?

I know from removing the screens on my own blinds that they are an extreme pain to put back on, and while I agree that this wasn't the ideal situation to attempt my first shot through the mesh, that was the situation I was presented with. My cousin has killed many deer in his stands using the mesh, but he uses fixed blades.

#5481447 - 12/16/14 03:16 PM Re: Expandable broad heads and "Shoot-through Mesh" [Re: TX TCAT]
Bowhunt Only Offline
Pro Tracker

Slick Tricks Magnums will solve all your problems.

#5482873 - 12/17/14 07:46 AM Re: Expandable broad heads and "Shoot-through Mesh" [Re: TX TCAT]
catslayer Offline
Tracker

Loc: Straight out of Johnson County
The "traditional" theory is no you don't shoot expandables through mesh... I've only seen it done once and it tore a very strange hole in the mesh, not symmetrical so yes I think it did expand at least one side and made it fly funny....

We use slick tricks and I have seen no noticeable amount of change in flight... I Love the stuff. You can get away with way more in the blind. Don't take them down if they have been up, the change will set the does off bad. they don't like it...

Edited by catslayer (12/17/14 07:47 AM)

#5483310 - 12/17/14 10:19 AM Re: Expandable broad heads and "Shoot-through Mesh" [Re: TX TCAT]
kmon1 Online   content
junior

Loc: Texas
Have tried it with G5 Montec broad heads and out to 30 yards could not tell any difference in shooting through mesh and not shooting through mesh. The mechanical broad heads i tried through the mesh opened at least one blade and threw the arrow off by 6 inches or more.

I would stay from Mechanical heads if shooting through mesh.

RULES for using the TRADING POST
http://www.texashuntingforum.com/forum/u..._PO#Post1959111

#5501524 - 12/26/14 10:54 PM Re: Expandable broad heads and "Shoot-through Mesh" [Re: TX TCAT]
MR5Hunter Offline
Tracker

Loc: Arlington
Stay away from L shaped mechanicals. I use montecs or slick tricks w/ no issue out to 40 yards. But as already stated, you need to practice w/ a target before trying on live game. Have tried rage mechanicals w/ good results as well.

#5501551 - 12/26/14 11:08 PM Re: Expandable broad heads and "Shoot-through Mesh" [Re: TX TCAT]
phantom Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: dfw
As a general rule dont shoot a mechanical through mesh. I would go a step further and say dont shoot them at all. We have added a new bowhunting policy at our ranch after this year. We will no longer allow any mechanical broadheads to be shot. in fishing there is a saying that some lures are made to catch fishermen and only a few are made to catch fish. I think the same about mechanicals. they are made to catch archers.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide