475424 Topics
6236914 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#5478740 - 12/15/14 01:17 PM Bell and Carlson stock, not very happy
Dark Halo Offline
Green Horn

I have installed my new Bell and Carlson Medalist stock on my Remington 700 .30-06 and I am not impressed at all. The barrel touches on almost the entire bed area for the barrel. I noticed after shooting it rubs most where the action and barrel join. I have tried to sand it a with no luck. It looks like the pillars are 1/16-1/8 of an inch below the aluminum bedding. is this normal? Should I just re bed the stock or try sending it back? My groups are so bad right now that the factory stock will be going back on for now.

#5478815 - 12/15/14 01:43 PM Re: Bell and Carlson stock, not very happy [Re: Dark Halo]
P & Y Online   sick
Tracker

Loc: North East Texas
I've had them before and won't ever buy another. The last one I bought had the barrel channel cut in at an angle. It was free floated but looked terrible. I've seen a few that were a lot better than mine. I may have just got a bad one, but I will just stay with manners and McMillan from here on out.

#5478823 - 12/15/14 01:44 PM Re: Bell and Carlson stock, not very happy [Re: Dark Halo]
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Lewisville, TX
Sand it. It's not uncommon. Take a large socket wrapped around some heavy grit sand paper, and go to town. Dremel will also work, but it's hard to keep it even. Stocks are designed to fit the action, and not all actions are set to the same depth or dimensions. Sand it down and keep putting the barreled action into the stock to check fit. It will take some elbow grease, but it will be worth it.

www.DallasReloads.com
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL

#5478883 - 12/15/14 02:01 PM Re: Bell and Carlson stock, not very happy [Re: ChadTRG42]
Bullfrog Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: N-Bedford
Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42
Sand it. It's not uncommon. Take a large socket wrapped around some heavy grit sand paper, and go to town. Dremel will also work, but it's hard to keep it even. Stocks are designed to fit the action, and not all actions are set to the same depth or dimensions. Sand it down and keep putting the barreled action into the stock to check fit. It will take some elbow grease, but it will be worth it.

Glass half full kinda guy right here!

#5478900 - 12/15/14 02:07 PM Re: Bell and Carlson stock, not very happy [Re: Dark Halo]
Judd Online   content

Loc: Sachse, TX
He's right...that is how a smith would do it. Well, mine uses a piece of a barrel instead of a socket but same thing.

You just have to keep sanding. I would much rather have to much material and need to sand than have crappy looking gap that you can't add too.

They aren't a bad stock and yes, even with the vblock I would lightly bed. But once you get the barrel not touching shoot it and see if you need too, it might shoot good enough your happy with it and not need to bed the action/vblock. They are a great economy budget minded stock.

#5478907 - 12/15/14 02:08 PM Re: Bell and Carlson stock, not very happy [Re: Dark Halo]
wburke2010 Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Nevada, TX
Like chad said you have to fit it to the rifle, there are not many "drop in stocks". Personally I would use a wood dowel, home depot has them, about the size of the channel with some sand paper wrapped around it and that will help keep it uniform.

Walter

#5478908 - 12/15/14 02:08 PM Re: Bell and Carlson stock, not very happy [Re: Dark Halo]
daniel1381 Online   content
Veteran Tracker

Loc: longview texas
Local home depot had what looks like dremel tool sanding bit but larger and used them before on a drill extension it worked fast

"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain - and most fools do."

Benjamin Franklin

#5478941 - 12/15/14 02:24 PM Re: Bell and Carlson stock, not very happy [Re: Dark Halo]
JRJ6 Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Dallas, TX
i recently purchased a Boyd's stock for my a-bolt. same thing happened. the rifle did not sit well and i had a gap at the safety. ended up taking it to a gunsmith who bedded it for me.
think this is a pretty common problem - there really is no "drop in" stock

#5479476 - 12/15/14 06:25 PM Re: Bell and Carlson stock, not very happy [Re: Dark Halo]
Mfloski Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Longview, TX
I have owned three, two fit excellent (both are of course bedded). the other, not so good. For the price in comparison to a McMillian or some of the other 600-900 stocks, they are a great deal. But you get what you pay for, and the 250.00 stock might just require a little extra labor to get right than a super custom stock 2-3x the price.

#5479525 - 12/15/14 06:43 PM Re: Bell and Carlson stock, not very happy [Re: Mfloski]
Misfire Offline
Tracker

Loc: Hood County
Originally Posted By: Mfloski
I have owned three, two fit excellent (both are of course bedded). the other, not so good. For the price in comparison to a McMillian or some of the other 600-900 stocks, they are a great deal. But you get what you pay for, and the 250.00 stock might just require a little extra labor to get right than a super custom stock 2-3x the price.

This.

A cheap tip to relieving the barrel channel is to use a piece of PVC pipe and some aerosol contact adhesive. This will keep you from having to hold on to the sandpaper while you work channel.

"Mind bottling isn't it?" -Chazz Michael Michaels

#5479622 - 12/15/14 07:27 PM Re: Bell and Carlson stock, not very happy [Re: Misfire]
tth_40 Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: North Texas.
Originally Posted By: Misfire
Originally Posted By: Mfloski

This.

A cheap tip to relieving the barrel channel is to use a piece of PVC pipe and some aerosol contact adhesive. This will keep you from having to hold on to the sandpaper while you work channel.

Yup.

#5479632 - 12/15/14 07:31 PM Re: Bell and Carlson stock, not very happy [Re: Dark Halo]
Big Fitz Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: McKinney, TX
As others have said, sand it. I had to do the same thing for my Tikka 7mm Mag and used a wood dowel rod and coarse sandpaper following with fine. It took me about 30 mins of work and I am now very happy with the stock.

#5480218 - 12/15/14 11:35 PM Re: Bell and Carlson stock, not very happy [Re: Dark Halo]
Dark Halo Offline
Green Horn

Thanks for the replies, I was going to send it back but think I will just sand and bed it

#5480294 - 12/16/14 05:22 AM Re: Bell and Carlson stock, not very happy [Re: Misfire]
dawaba Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Big Eddy Road, Noonday
Generally, I buy my rifles with handsome wood stocks and promptly replace the walnut handle with a synthetic version for hunting. I have several B&C Medalist stocks and believe them to be a good buy for the money.

But they're not perfect.....and very few aftermarket stocks are. Almost all require some tinkering to get them right. The above suggestions for using sandpaper work very well. I also like to re-bed the area around the recoil lug; here a dremel tool and some JB Weld work quite well. I used to use Acraglass, but I no longer find it necessary on small jobs.

It seems that Eli Whitney and Henry Ford's concept of 100% interchangeable parts hasn't made it down to synthetic stocks just yet.

#5480531 - 12/16/14 08:34 AM Re: Bell and Carlson stock, not very happy [Re: Dark Halo]
FiremanJG Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Wolfe City, TX
How in the world can you get parrallel lines on a tapered barrel when you're using a straight sanding stick?

Put the barreled action in the stock loose on the action screws. 1" wide x 6" long strip of emory cloth, abrasive side toward the stock. With a sawing action work your way from thw forearm to the recoil lug. The actual barrel that is tapered and is fitting inside that barrel channel is your sanding guide. Not some straight piece of dowel rod or socket that does not taper. Once you're at the recoil lug tighten the action screws a bit and go again. Repeat until the action screws are torqued and the barrel is free floated. You will end up with a barrel channel that fits perfectly parrallel to the barrel inside it. Better than a CNC can do in some cases. I say this because I have had to go through this same procedure with Manners and McMillian. Even though I told them barrel brand and exact contour.

Is us not uncommon to have to work on a replacement stock.

800 Yard Steel Rifle Range
Long Range Shooting Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide