Print Thread
Purchase equipment from? #5468665 12/10/14 05:58 AM
M
Mickey Moose Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
M
I am looking to purchase an entire reloading setup (not buying a kit). Any recommendations on *where* to purchase (not *what* to purchase)? For example, the best press (Redding Big Boss II) price I have found so far is $169.99 @ Midsouth Shooters Supply Company. That's $20 cheaper than the next best price I found which is at Brownells. Not sure about saving $20 at the expense dealing with an unknown (to me) business.

Online or DFW.

Thanks,
Mickey

Last edited by Mickey Moose; 12/10/14 06:13 AM.

My botnet is bigger than yours.
Re: Purchase equipment from? [Re: Mickey Moose] #5468729 12/10/14 11:20 AM
D
Dave Davidson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Not sure what you mean by an entire reloading setup. After many years, I'm still "investing" in new stuff.

I personally don't really like to buy online. If something doesn't work, dealing with the problem is a hassle. With the exception of the POS scale, Lee might be your best bet.

By the time you finish, $20 is going to feel pretty insignificant. You can't buy a set of dies for that. I like Cabelas when it comes to no hassle. I haven't stepped through the door of BPS for many years due to a problem with a purchase.

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: Purchase equipment from? [Re: Mickey Moose] #5468734 12/10/14 11:27 AM
D
dredd Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
Midsouth is one of my favorite retailers.
I have used them for years.

Re: Purchase equipment from? [Re: Mickey Moose] #5468748 12/10/14 12:03 PM
300_WizzM Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
Midway USA has been great to deal with and the run sales all the time.

Re: Purchase equipment from? [Re: Mickey Moose] #5468754 12/10/14 12:14 PM
R
RiverRider Online Confused
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Confused
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Mid South is fine to deal with.

[Linked Image]

"Arguing with you always makes me thirsty."

-Augustus McRae
Re: Purchase equipment from? [Re: RiverRider] #5468774 12/10/14 12:39 PM
D
dawaba Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
If you're just starting out, you might need some advice and recommendations. Consider Southwest Ammo Supply, on the old downtown square in Mesquite. Their prices are usually the lowest in the DFW area.

After you get up to speed on reloading, Midsouth, Natchez, and MidwayUSA are all very good.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple.....and wrong." H. L. Mencken
Re: Purchase equipment from? [Re: Mickey Moose] #5469050 12/10/14 03:14 PM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
Normally dawaba and I agree on things but I've been in SW twice and both times they were acting like I was bothering them. I choose to give my money to people who appreciate it. Having said all of that, they are local and one of the few places where you can actually put your hands on things.

I would buy stuff online and Midsouth is one of the top places out there. Midway, Sinclair and Midsouth are probably the top 3 reloading retailers in the country. Unfortunately, they are all cheaper on different items so hard to recommend just one.

I know based on a PM from you before that you live close...if you need help or just want to check out some stuff let me know. I'd be more than happy to share what I know.

Edit - Forgot about 3rd Generation (Gene Sears) Shooters Supply in OK...they are awesome folks and I try to buy the majority of my stuff from them...they just don't have quite the selection and Sinclair definitely caters to the benchrest/long range accuracy loading guys, meaning they have some tools that other places just don't carry. Prime example...flash hole reamer to uniform the flash holes across all your brass. You won't see any advantage to doing that unless you are shooting > 800 yards or looking to shoot real small groups.

Last edited by Judd; 12/10/14 03:17 PM.

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Purchase equipment from? [Re: Dave Davidson] #5470219 12/11/14 01:23 AM
M
Mickey Moose Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson
By the time you finish, $20 is going to feel pretty insignificant.

Yep, that was my point with regards to making a purchase from Midsouth, having never dealt with them. Based on responses though I feel more comfortable purchasing from them.

The others mentioned, Midway, Natchez, Brownells/Sinclair, I have previously purchased from. Not buying a kit will provide flexibility in product selection, availability and price shopping with these various vendors as well as Midsouth.

Here's what I'm strongly considering:

* Redding Big Boss II
* Redding Model 2 Powder and Bullet Scale
* Redding Model 3 Powder Measure
* Redding Model 5 Trickler
* Redding Slide Bar Automatic Primer Feeding System
* Forster Original Case Trimmer

I have not yet decided on die brand or series. Of course there is a list of misc items in addition to the above but none of the above is set in stone. Regardless this should get me off to a great start.

Re: Purchase equipment from? [Re: Mickey Moose] #5471018 12/11/14 03:17 PM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
Nothing wrong with Redding but if you want to "cry once" get the Forrester Co-Ax press, it is the best press in my opinion hands down. Forget items 2, 3 & 4 and buy a Chargemaster...it will do everything those 3 will. I would get a hand primer, for me it's just easier and you have more feel. Good choice on the trimmer, it or the Wilson are the two bests in my opinion (assuming you aren't going Giruad).

Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Purchase equipment from? [Re: Judd] #5471113 12/11/14 04:12 PM
M
Mickey Moose Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
M
To start with only small amounts of 300 Win Mag will be reloaded. My logic to initially opt for mechanical powder dispensing and measuring is, being a complete rookie, for safety's sake I need to be able to undoubtedly trust the equipment. If I start with an electronic setup (I have read until I'm blue in the face about the trials and tribulations of all makes and models) then I have nothing trustworthy to perform OCD and safety checks against. Whereas if I start the other way then I can at some point add the luxury item and work it into my routine.

My misc list, not detailed in this thread, includes the RCBS Universal Hand Priming Tool. It's a small expense to complement the press-based priming system in my opinion. My plan is too start out hand priming and work the press-based into my routine when loading other calibers once I have grip on all of this.

Some may say my logic is flawed and not justifiable, maybe so.

I am considering the Co-ax press - we'll see. The price difference is small enough that if I were to decide to go that route I don't think HQ would notice. <grin>

Your responses and insight are much appreciated, thanks Judd!

-Mickey

Re: Purchase equipment from? [Re: Judd] #5471125 12/11/14 04:19 PM
M
Mickey Moose Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted By: Judd
...Forrester Co-Ax press...

PS - Work getting to you? *Forrester*...

https://www.forrester.com

Ha,
Mickey

Re: Purchase equipment from? [Re: Mickey Moose] #5471166 12/11/14 04:46 PM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
Work is always getting to me grin My old bosses last name was Forrester haha.

www.forsterproducts.com

Re: Purchase equipment from? [Re: Mickey Moose] #5477827 12/15/14 12:10 PM
T
Trouble_Shooter Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
T
Originally Posted By: Mickey Moose
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson
By the time you finish, $20 is going to feel pretty insignificant.

Yep, that was my point with regards to making a purchase from Midsouth, having never dealt with them. Based on responses though I feel more comfortable purchasing from them.

The others mentioned, Midway, Natchez, Brownells/Sinclair, I have previously purchased from. Not buying a kit will provide flexibility in product selection, availability and price shopping with these various vendors as well as Midsouth.

Here's what I'm strongly considering:

* Redding Big Boss II
* Redding Model 2 Powder and Bullet Scale
* Redding Model 3 Powder Measure
* Redding Model 5 Trickler
* Redding Slide Bar Automatic Primer Feeding System
* Forster Original Case Trimmer

I have not yet decided on die brand or series. Of course there is a list of misc items in addition to the above but none of the above is set in stone. Regardless this should get me off to a great start.

I was stationed in the area of their offices, no HAZMAT fees were really nice! At any rate, I can't say enough nice things about Mid-South. You won't be disappointed.

Re: Purchase equipment from? [Re: Mickey Moose] #5502086 12/27/14 03:56 PM
M
Mickey Moose Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Still researching and weighing options.

Looking at just the press and requisite accessories (shellholder set for the Redding, not the Forster; optional priming system for the Redding, built-in for the Forster) I was able to roughly calculate a price increase from the Redding Big Boss II to the Forester Co-ax of about $45 (without much price shopping).

I have seen a few ergonomic complaints of the Co-ax but it seems they come from people who have much experience on presses with other designs - I have none so I suppose that may not make a difference to me. Aside from ergonomics are there drawbacks? Though the Forster has the native ability of quick die changes (Redding quick changes can only be done with Hornady Lock-N-Load bushings) I don't see this as significant but then again I have zero experience so maybe I'm wrong. Can the Hornady L-n-L bushings be used on the Forster? If so is there any reason to? How does the Co-ax's built-in priming mechanism stack up to Big Boss' optional system (which was calculated into my price comparison)?

I *think* I like the Co-ax design better but I'm curious to know opinions on if the additional expense is worth it. Though the $45 difference is trivial I'm not in to spending money unnecessarily.

Thanks for the responses.

Re: Purchase equipment from? [Re: Mickey Moose] #5502136 12/27/14 04:16 PM
Cast Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Buy the coax press listed here on THF.

Cast

[Linked Image]

I have a short attention spa
Re: Purchase equipment from? [Re: Mickey Moose] #5503027 12/28/14 12:21 AM
Wburke2010 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Where are you located. You are more than welcome to come by and check out my gear to see what you like and I can share my thoughts on why I have what I have if you are close enough.

Walter

MW Ranch Services
903-303-4523
Metal buildings, welding, equipment repair, dirt work
Re: Purchase equipment from? [Re: Mickey Moose] #5503253 12/28/14 02:39 AM
R
RiverRider Online Confused
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Confused
THF Trophy Hunter
R
The Co-Ax is a great press...maybe the very best single-stage available and you should get one, BUT: it has certain limitations. Some tools just will not work with it. I went and bought a $35 Lee press just so I can use stuck vase removers and one special type of bullet puller. I may end up using my universal decapper on it also.

Don't let that scare you away from the Co-Ax though. You can't go wrong with it.

[Linked Image]

"Arguing with you always makes me thirsty."

-Augustus McRae
Re: Purchase equipment from? [Re: RiverRider] #5503395 12/28/14 03:54 AM
Wburke2010 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: RiverRider
The Co-Ax is a great press...maybe the very best single-stage available and you should get one, BUT: it has certain limitations. Some tools just will not work with it. I went and bought a $35 Lee press just so I can use stuck vase removers and one special type of bullet puller. I may end up using my universal decapper on it also.

Don't let that scare you away from the Co-Ax though. You can't go wrong with it.

I had the same problem with mine. I can't use the rcbs collet puller with it so I have to get a different style or might pickup a lee like you. That is what I started with but got rid of it when I upgraded. Should have kept it.

Walter

MW Ranch Services
903-303-4523
Metal buildings, welding, equipment repair, dirt work
Re: Purchase equipment from? [Re: Mickey Moose] #5504672 12/28/14 10:12 PM
C
Cool Mo D Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Mid-south. Press on here B gone.