Print Thread
Jack rabbit removal for ranchers offered:) #5475086 12/14/14 02:53 AM
S
sfcahr Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
S
I visit the buda area each year to visit wifes family and would love to find a place to shoot jack rabbits or predators. Either with high power air rifles or .223.
I am a retired army E-7, and very safety conscious around property and live stock.
Any one with info or opportunity /location please message me.
thanks

Allen Reed
SFC USA Ret.
Re: Jack rabbit removal for ranchers offered:) [Re: sfcahr] #5500438 12/26/14 04:50 PM
E
Erich Offline
Tracker
Tracker
E
theres no reason to remove jack rabbits.

no offense, and thankyou for your service to our country. but stuff like this is the reason folks don't get leases. though I'm sure your intentions are honest...what you're offering is to come out and shoot a bunch of animals for no reason.

Outdoorsman
Re: Jack rabbit removal for ranchers offered:) [Re: Erich] #5500533 12/26/14 05:42 PM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms
Originally Posted By: Erich

no offense, and thankyou for your service to our country. but stuff like this is the reason folks don't get leases. though I'm sure your intentions are honest...what you're offering is to come out and shoot a bunch of animals for no reason.

You have never been to West Texas then...

Our area used to be heavy in sheep and goats. Predator control was paramount and they did a dang good job. Ranch Foreman on our place (10k acres) lived there 23 years before he shot his first coyote. Bobcats made the come back before the coyotes and there have always been some fox out there.

There was a time that we would kill over 300 jackrabbits a night. Feeder would go off and 15 rabbits would come charging in, sounded like a stampede rofl

Mother Nature has a way of taking care of balancing things out with disease, drought, etc. But there are places that have a rabbit problem.

To the OP, good luck. Hope you find something. Chances of someone letting you on their land for free and with free run of the place shooting and spotlighting is going to be a long shot, but I wish you luck cheers

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Jack rabbit removal for ranchers offered:) [Re: sfcahr] #5500655 12/26/14 07:01 PM
E
Erich Offline
Tracker
Tracker
E
I've seen parts of the world that had more jacks than others. my grandmothers property up west of Waco at a time had a lot of them. my dad would tell stores where as a younger person he and his cousins would ride around at night and shoot a great many of them.

I don't know of anywhere that has that many now really anymore. maybe there is. and frankly I don't care that people would shoot them.

but I don't think you'll find anyone that would let you come out and do that. I was on a role responding to posts about what folks have to do to find a hunting lease. if this guy finds a place then great. my thought tho was that folks have some unrealistic expectations of what people will be willing to come let them do on their land.

Outdoorsman
Re: Jack rabbit removal for ranchers offered:) [Re: Erich] #5500667 12/26/14 07:09 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S

Jack Rabbits eat grass, a lot of grass. They will eat it closer to the ground than a cow also. Depending on what info you find, somewhere from 15-40 jack rabbits can eat what one cow does in a years time.

To the OP, good luck finding a place to shoot and welcome

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Jack rabbit removal for ranchers offered:) [Re: Erich] #5510700 12/31/14 06:51 PM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C

we would hit the alfalfa meadows at night, sitting on the fenders of the 40's cars that had the head lights on top of the fenders, we shoot 100-200 a night, they were so bad they were destroying the farmers wheat.

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Re: Jack rabbit removal for ranchers offered:) [Re: Erich] #5532020 01/10/15 12:25 PM
B
bentman Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B

Think before you speak

If it bleeds I can KILL IT
Re: Jack rabbit removal for ranchers offered:) [Re: sfcahr] #5532882 01/10/15 08:25 PM
B
breal Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
Jack rabbits do eat 4x the amount of grass. Just ask my LO. We see them we rifle. I would rather have the grass for the deer. LO would rather have the grass for the cows. So Jack rabbits are out!

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide