Print Thread
New to Bowhunting #5471859 12/11/14 11:14 PM
J
johnhdz21 Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
J
Hey everybody, next year/season I want to try Bowhunting. It will be my first time actually using a Compound Bow. Do you all have any suggestions or recommendations on a good bow but is not pricey.

Thank you

Re: New to Bowhunting [Re: johnhdz21] #5472767 12/12/14 03:00 PM
O
Oakysmoker Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
O
Great! I am newbie myself, first season bowhunter and am forever addicted. It is more challenging but also more rewarding for those who have the patience and persistence to pursue it.
I am sure other will weigh in on the choices, but most will also recommend a visit to an archery shop, not a big retailer outlet, to try out various makes and styles of bows to see what works for you. I know, going to a speciality shop sounds like wallet kill. But, believe me, you can end up paying more in lost time/frustration/money if you focus on the sale price alone.

I was fortunate enough to know some bow hunters and asked them for their personal recommendstions. They referred me to a local shop that did an excellent job of putting me into a quality starter bow. I just told them upfront my budget was thinner than a politician's promise and they respected that. I paid it out on layaway over three months and ended up with an excellent bow that I can use for years to come, and with their excellent service of custom setup, bow tuning and coaching(that is more valuable than the bow itself) my introduction to and rookie season of bowhunting has been wonderful.

Not saying you can't find a good used or reduced price bow, but If you are like me I had no idea what I was looking for, the questions to ask, the details which are numerous, the key components to inspect, etc.

Think of your bow as more of a suit that you will wear instead of a car you will drive. A lot of suits are out there, but even if you find a nice one that is just step one. You still need to have it 'adjusted' and 'setup' for fit and function and, the fun part: personal taste. A nicely fitted suit just feels natural and becomes just like a second skin. You don't think about it, fidget with it, it doesn't fight you and you don't have to constantly try to 'make it work'. Same with your bow. Knowing the bow is dialed in allows you to spend more time and energy focusing on your form, which is the largest variable of all. There are a lot of quality bows to choose from these days and they will all shoot well, but all will only shoot as good as your form. Don't get hung up on marketing hype or what I call the 'brand' wagon. There is some truth to 'you get what you pay for', but only to an extent.

Be of good cheer, it really is a lot of fun and not all that complicated. Just take your time and ask lots of questions as you go along. Bow hunters are a friendly bunch and most are eager and willing to share their own personal experiences and advice.

2nd Amendment: Use it or loose it.
Re: New to Bowhunting [Re: johnhdz21] #5473703 12/13/14 01:10 AM
B
Bullfrog Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Well said Oakeysmoker

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by machinist
Man if I knew what Oxner knows I could throw away what I know
Re: New to Bowhunting [Re: johnhdz21] #5474040 12/13/14 05:36 AM
T
Tactical Cowboy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Used.

The secret to a long life is to try not to shorten it.
Re: New to Bowhunting [Re: johnhdz21] #5474085 12/13/14 08:45 AM
J
johnhdz21 Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
J
Thank you very much

Re: New to Bowhunting [Re: johnhdz21] #5475650 12/14/14 04:04 PM
P
Pittstate Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
P
Best bang for the buck and best warranty on a starter bow will be from the big boxes (Cabela's and Bass). Diamond and PSE own this market and you can't go wrong with their package deals for your first bow. I will have to respectfully disagree with the suit analogy. If someone is new to bow hunting, they have no idea what fits them better. You need practice and experience. Don't go out a get a used bow that you have no idea if it works correctly of not. Over the holidays, you should be able to pick up last years models in a package deal for under $500 easy (with tax, release, arrows and broad heads included).

Todays main line bows shoot 330+ fps IBO and will dispatch any deer at 30 yards and under. You will have a better bow than the rich guy with the Matthews in 2005.....

Re: New to Bowhunting [Re: johnhdz21] #5475704 12/14/14 04:38 PM
J
johnhdz21 Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
J
So some good brands of Bows are Diamond and PSE?? Also How far could a Bow be shot from and take a buck down??

Re: New to Bowhunting [Re: johnhdz21] #5475722 12/14/14 04:52 PM
P
Pittstate Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
P
Pretty much the top 20 brands of bows out there are "good" or they wouldn't be in business anymore. Might be a good idea to watch the Sportsman Channel for a year or so....maybe it can show you various situations and limitations of bows. If you can cut through the "info-mercial" side of the shows, they do teach quit a bit.

Re: New to Bowhunting [Re: johnhdz21] #5475738 12/14/14 05:07 PM
J
johnhdz21 Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
J
Nice! I was looking at some broadheads and what does it mean when it says 100 grain or 125 grain??

Re: New to Bowhunting [Re: johnhdz21] #5475795 12/14/14 05:49 PM
J
Jtmeeks Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
J
Originally Posted By: johnhdz21
Nice! I was looking at some broadheads and what does it mean when it says 100 grain or 125 grain??
first off, welcome. Next, that is the weight of the broad head. You will prolly want to start with 100 grain tips IMO. YOU DONT NEED TO WORRY ABOUT BROADHEADS YET THOUGH

I don't always exaggerate, I just remember BIG!
Re: New to Bowhunting [Re: Pittstate] #5475925 12/14/14 07:18 PM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted By: Pittstate
Best bang for the buck and best warranty on a starter bow will be from the big boxes (Cabela's and Bass). Diamond and PSE own this market and you can't go wrong with their package deals for your first bow. I will have to respectfully disagree with the suit analogy. If someone is new to bow hunting, they have no idea what fits them better. You need practice and experience. Don't go out a get a used bow that you have no idea if it works correctly of not. Over the holidays, you should be able to pick up last years models in a package deal for under $500 easy (with tax, release, arrows and broad heads included).

Todays main line bows shoot 330+ fps IBO and will dispatch any deer at 30 yards and under. You will have a better bow than the rich guy with the Matthews in 2005.....

I call bs on the red hi-lited area. I bought my first Mathews in 2004 and I was not then, nor am I now, rich. I also shot that bow for eight years and wish I had kept it as a back up bow when I had to sell it to fund my next Mathews, which I bought used as a packaged set up.

I have no issue with people buying Bear, PSE, Diamond etc. set ups at the retail giants. Those bows are decent products that will get the job done. However if you are new to the sport, don't have a mentor, or at least some good buds who can take the time and patience, not to mention have good knowledge and ability to do so, then a pro shop can be an invaluable source of teaching and information to get you started off right and successful sooner with a lot less frustration.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: New to Bowhunting [Re: johnhdz21] #5476847 12/15/14 01:48 AM
M
Mike Wilson Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
M
I'm reading this and other stuff. I plan to buy my first bow really soon. Saving $$ to do it. I know absolutely nothing about it.
I've killed plenty of deer with shotgun and rifle growing up in Alabama in some of the best woods available. But, I wanted the challenge of doing something I've never done.
I have pretty much hung up my fishing poles and am moving back to some hunting. There are a few things I have never done and are now on my bucket list.
This is one.
I really like the look of the Hoyt Faktor, but I am a little short on funds. I don't want to buy something that I will want to move away from soon. So I am reading and gathering info.

Re: New to Bowhunting [Re: johnhdz21] #5476991 12/15/14 02:20 AM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
I started with a cheap, clearance shelf, Bear Whitetail 2. And had good success. But I had a very experienced shooter who taught me form and technical things to adjust and work on my own equipment. I was already a fairly competent hunter but bowhunting was a new thing to learn. However, if not for Ronnie I doubt I would have ever learned how to set a draw length, have a solid anchor point or even real follow through or form. Without him a proshop would have been my only hope. And buying a bow, even a used set up, at a proshop starts that relationship which can propel a new person forward. Not to mention getting a bow that has been checked out by a bowtech, set up to fit you and having you on target shooting before you walk out the door.

NRA Life Member
Re: New to Bowhunting [Re: johnhdz21] #5477002 12/15/14 02:21 AM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Oh and btw, first year bowhunting with my buddy I killed three deer with that dime store Bear. So the most expensive bow isn't the key but having a set up that fits and you know how to use is.

NRA Life Member
Re: New to Bowhunting [Re: johnhdz21] #5477044 12/15/14 02:35 AM
M
Mike Wilson Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
M
I'm going to keep reading and by end of Feb I am gonna make my move. Expecting a healthy bonus check then. I haven't shot any yet and will be going out to Allstar in Lewisville to get aquainted.

Re: New to Bowhunting [Re: johnhdz21] #5477053 12/15/14 02:36 AM
M
Mike Wilson Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
M
Hopefully that will give me time to get used to shooting and find a place to hunt.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide