Print Thread
Limited Doe Seasons #5471560 12/11/14 08:13 PM
G
GHale Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
G
How do we go about getting changes made regarding when does can be harvested? This year has been a total bust and in my East Texas county (Harrison) you are only allowed to shoot does the first 2 weeks of the season. I don't think I even saw any does this year during that time frame as they were filling up on acorns on someone else's property.

Seems strange that they give you 2 tags when you buy your license but restrict when they can be harvested by county. My 3 game cameras (before the season) usually showed between 4-7 at each feeder consistently so I know there are plenty there but can't shoot any now. Need to get rules changed.

Re: Limited Doe Seasons [Re: GHale] #5471568 12/11/14 08:18 PM
B
Barcelona Rick Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
GHale...I have written TPWD about this very subject every year since AR went into effect. Have never heard a word in return...not even a "we appreciate your input but..." this year has been a bust for us in Harrison County too...good luck sir...

rick

Last edited by Barcelona Rick; 12/11/14 08:19 PM.
Re: Limited Doe Seasons [Re: GHale] #5471574 12/11/14 08:21 PM
E
Erich Offline
Tracker
Tracker
E
how much property do you have? can you get MLD permits?

if you're hunting enough acreage you can apply for doe permits which I believe can be filled at any point in the open season. when I say enough acreage I mean its got to be enough land to sustain some sort of deer population. they're not going to give permits on 50ac. maybe at least 100ac...not sure you'd need to see.

as far as changing the rules....I'd just give up and go hunt some place else. its not going to happen.

AR's are intended to protect deer populations from over-harvest in counties where the typical property size is reasonably small. small avg property size with even just one person hunting on any number of tracts makes for a high density of hunters and bad news for deer populations. with AR's its just bad news for anything that qualifies as a legal deer. without them though in many instances there'd be even fewer deer.

Outdoorsman
Re: Limited Doe Seasons [Re: GHale] #5472043 12/12/14 12:59 AM
BigBucky2014 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
I called one of our GWs in Harris county yesterday to ask for clarification on the doe rules. Specifically, can does be shot during the late youth season and can they be shot during blackpowder in Jan. In Harris Co, you can only shoot does during Nov., but it is legal to shoot them in the youth season and the BP season. For the youth season, I was told it follows the regulations that were in effect for the first 2 days of the regular season, so it should be the case for you too if you have a youth season. Check your regs for BP as well. Might not be the best solution, but at least I have a late option on the small track I hunt here around Houston. My lease is under MLD3 so it's pretty wide open. Good luck.

Re: Limited Doe Seasons [Re: Erich] #5472174 12/12/14 02:00 AM
L
Lil Joe Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
L
Originally Posted By: Erich
how much property do you have? can you get MLD permits?

if you're hunting enough acreage you can apply for doe permits which I believe can be filled at any point in the open season. when I say enough acreage I mean its got to be enough land to sustain some sort of deer population. they're not going to give permits on 50ac. maybe at least 100ac...not sure you'd need to see.

as far as changing the rules....I'd just give up and go hunt some place else. its not going to happen.

AR's are intended to protect deer populations from over-harvest in counties where the typical property size is reasonably small. small avg property size with even just one person hunting on any number of tracts makes for a high density of hunters and bad news for deer populations. with AR's its just bad news for anything that qualifies as a legal deer. without them though in many instances there'd be even fewer deer.

I don't think its that easy to get MLD tags

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide