Forum Stats
60482 Members
45 Forums
476317 Topics
6248252 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#5470715 - 12/11/14 05:27 AM Weatherby actions.
P_102 Offline
Tracker

Loc: Grapevine
It seems most prefer the Rem. 700, Tikka or Savage action (not including customs) for a build. Is there a reason why not Weatherby? I'm considering changing up a Vanguard but would like input on the action. Thanks.

#5470720 - 12/11/14 05:49 AM Re: Weatherby actions. [Re: P_102]
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity

Probably parts is why the remmy and savage are most often used

#5470752 - 12/11/14 06:49 AM Re: Weatherby actions. [Re: P_102]
vanguard Offline
Veteran Tracker

one reason is the metric threading on the barrel

#5470872 - 12/11/14 08:08 AM Re: Weatherby actions. [Re: vanguard]
HorizonFirearms Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: College Station, Texas
Originally Posted By: vanguard
one reason is the metric threading on the barrel

This but they are nice but progressive metric can be a headache to change out your lathe gears for one action. The mark V I personally don't love the 9 lug design and the flat bottom action

www.HorizonFirearms.com

#5470875 - 12/11/14 08:08 AM Re: Weatherby actions. [Re: P_102]
huntwest Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Albany
Availabilty and price are the biggest reasons. There are a ton of good used 700 actions available and new ones are cheap.
There have been about 6 million 700s sold in the last 40 years vs 400,000 Vanguards.
Weatherby will only sell a barreled action and custom guys don't want or need the barrel.

#5470878 - 12/11/14 08:10 AM Re: Weatherby actions. [Re: P_102]
dee Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Red River way
The vangaurd or howa 1500 is a great action but there is not near the aftermarket support. The factory barrels also typically have to be ruined when getting off.

#5471438 - 12/11/14 01:06 PM Re: Weatherby actions. [Re: dee]
vanguard Offline
Veteran Tracker

Originally Posted By: dee
The vangaurd or howa 1500 is a great action but there is not near the aftermarket support. The factory barrels also typically have to be ruined when getting off.

ya but if your putting on a custom doesnt really matter if you ruin the factory barrel. theres a guy on gun broker thats always sellin take offs in stainless, the guy builds muzzle loaders out of the howas, anyway these barrel dont have a mark on them so he must have the tools and know what hes doing.
shilen sells pre threaded howa slash weatherby barrels, screw it on and finish the chamber.
if you were to build one theres not much you need to do, bolt, extractor and all need no help, true it up and screw a barrel and good trigger, done.

as far as aftermarket support what do you mean, barrel, stocks and triggers are readily available in the howa

Edited by vanguard (12/11/14 01:08 PM)

#5471472 - 12/11/14 01:26 PM Re: Weatherby actions. [Re: P_102]
charlesb Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: West Texas mountains
I was about to say, maybe Bubba would ruin the barrel, but a competent smith with the right tools can be expected to do it right.

The story I get is that the Weatherby Vanguard action is a knockoff of an older Sako action, quite well designed.

Edited by charlesb (12/11/14 01:28 PM)

#5471517 - 12/11/14 01:44 PM Re: Weatherby actions. [Re: vanguard]
dee Offline
Extreme Tracker

ya but if your putting on a custom doesnt really matter if you ruin the factory barrel. theres a guy on gun broker thats always sellin take offs in stainless, the guy builds muzzle loaders out of the howas, anyway these barrel dont have a mark on them so he must have the tools and know what hes doing.
shilen sells pre threaded howa slash weatherby barrels, screw it on and finish the chamber.
if you were to build one theres not much you need to do, bolt, extractor and all need no help, true it up and screw a barrel and good trigger, done.

as far as aftermarket support what do you mean, barrel, stocks and triggers are readily available in the howa

They don't have near the stock, bottom metal or trigger options as the Remington or Savage rifles do which is a problem to some. The factory barrels can be a huge pain to get off. It's not a guarantee but can be and some require heat or cutting of the barrel to get off.

#5471520 - 12/11/14 01:45 PM Re: Weatherby actions. [Re: charlesb]
dee Offline
Extreme Tracker

Originally Posted By: charlesb
I was about to say, maybe Bubba would ruin the barrel, but a competent smith with the right tools can be expected to do it right.

The story I get is that the Weatherby Vanguard action is a knockoff of an older Sako action, quite well designed.

I'm pretty sure that Mr Gordon at SAC (short action customs) and Chad at longrifles inc are more than just bubba gunsmiths.

#5471573 - 12/11/14 02:21 PM Re: Weatherby actions. [Re: dee]
vanguard Offline
Veteran Tracker

I'm pretty sure that Mr Gordon at SAC (short action customs) and Chad at longrifles inc are more than just bubba gunsmiths.

not getting what your trying to say, are you saying these guys can do it or they have to cut them off.
me and bubba gunsmith got mine off, did scratch it though. i know they are tight but there not welded. mine sounded like a firecracker when it broke free, freakin tight i tell you.

#5471594 - 12/11/14 02:31 PM Re: Weatherby actions. [Re: vanguard]
dee Offline
Extreme Tracker

not getting what your trying to say, are you saying these guys can do it or they have to cut them off.
me and bubba gunsmith got mine off, did scratch it though. i know they are tight but there not welded. mine sounded like a firecracker when it broke free, freakin tight i tell you.

What I'm saying is they rarely come loose like yours. When I spoke to those two they were some of the few that would rebarrel them in the country and neither would guarantee that the original barrel would come off unscathed. Some do some don't and the ones that didn't were apparently pretty common.

#5471652 - 12/11/14 03:07 PM Re: Weatherby actions. [Re: P_102]
vanguard Offline
Veteran Tracker

my bubba gunsmith will take every single one off without cutting nothing, yes they will be scratched, but hes only a bubba gunsmith. the guy on gun broker takes every single one off unscathed.
im no gunsmith but the right tool will spin her right off.
every gunsmith can do howas if they arent to lazy to retool for the threading, even my bubba smith will do it.
gunsmiths now days are more what can i bolt on vs what can i machine. lot of these shops wont do trigger jobs as in polishing sears and stuff, they want to turn a few screws on a trigger and call it a trigger job.
thats what i like about my smith, hes a machinist. and will do whatever you can dream.

#5471718 - 12/11/14 03:37 PM Re: Weatherby actions. [Re: vanguard]
dee Offline
Extreme Tracker

my bubba gunsmith will take every single one off without cutting nothing, yes they will be scratched, but hes only a bubba gunsmith. the guy on gun broker takes every single one off unscathed.
im no gunsmith but the right tool will spin her right off.
every gunsmith can do howas if they arent to lazy to retool for the threading, even my bubba smith will do it.
gunsmiths now days are more what can i bolt on vs what can i machine. lot of these shops wont do trigger jobs as in polishing sears and stuff, they want to turn a few screws on a trigger and call it a trigger job.
thats what i like about my smith, hes a machinist. and will do whatever you can dream.

Looking back at emails they refer to making relief cuts in the barrel. I assume they might be doing this just for ease since it is so tight. I wouldn't say some smiths are too lazy as some lathes don't allow for the option or require extra stuff which might not be cost effective for one rifle. The two I mentioned are some of the best in the country bar none and have built more than their share of world record rifles.

#5471853 - 12/11/14 05:08 PM Re: Weatherby actions. [Re: dee]
huntwest Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Albany

What I'm saying is they rarely come loose like yours. When I spoke to those two they were some of the few that would rebarrel them in the country and neither would guarantee that the original barrel would come off unscathed. Some do some don't and the ones that didn't were apparently pretty common.

Man I hate to tell you this but there is no reason to ruin a vanguard barrel getting it off. I have seen a lot of the removed and never have seen a ruined one. I have seen barrels scratched up in the process. Never a need to cut one.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide