Re: Hunting Deer At Nigh [Re: Carlos B] #5471082 12/11/14 03:51 PM
C
Carlos B Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
C
Ok

There is no law against hunting at night for hogs. It is illegal to hunt deer at night, BUT you can after 30 minutes of sun going down and 30 minutes before sun is up aim

What Texasbdog is referring to is that the warden did not buy his story about hunting just for hogs. The warden was going to be there to issue a ticket for hunting deer under the presumption that he was going to hunt hogs. In case he got a deer that is.

What my original question was: What is the logic behind this law?????

back

Re: Hunting Deer At Nigh [Re: Carlos B] #5471488 12/11/14 07:31 PM
R
RDNCK Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
Partly because if you shine a spotlight into a deer's eyes, it blinds them -advantage hunter
A lot of deer are hit by vehicles on the roads at night because when they start to run across and look at the lights they freeze and stand there. Seen deer before actually zig zag toward us with our brights on

Re: Hunting Deer At Nigh [Re: Carlos B] #5471572 12/11/14 08:21 PM
R
rattler03 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
I believe it is a fair chase issue in regards to hunting deer at night. Hogs are a nonnative nuisance species, and like other exotics, can be hunted at night.

Re: Hunting Deer At Nigh [Re: Carlos B] #5471621 12/11/14 08:52 PM
D
DirtNapTET Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: Carlos B
Ok

There is no law against hunting at night for hogs. It is illegal to hunt deer at night, BUT you can after 30 minutes of sun going down and 30 minutes before sun is up aim

What Texasbdog is referring to is that the warden did not buy his story about hunting just for hogs. The warden was going to be there to issue a ticket for hunting deer under the presumption that he was going to hunt hogs. In case he got a deer that is.

back

Man I cant beleive this is even a topic of discussion. Either you are really new at hunting, not from around here (America), or you're a Game Warden who has way too much time on his hands.

But while we are on the topic, why cant we lace our deer corn with cyanide and just pick up the carcasses at the end of the season? Deer are way too over populated in Texas anyways, right?

bang

Re: Hunting Deer At Nigh [Re: DirtNapTET] #5471804 12/11/14 10:33 PM
C
Carlos B Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
C
Originally Posted By: DirtNapTET
Originally Posted By: Carlos B
Ok

back

But while we are on the topic, why cant we lace our deer corn with cyanide and just pick up the carcasses at the end of the season? Deer are way too over populated in Texas anyways, right?

bang

Smartest comment so far.... muyloco

None of the above apply and obviously you need to re-visit the purpose of "hunting". You may want to look up the term.

Re: Hunting Deer At Nigh [Re: Carlos B] #5471965 12/12/14 12:22 AM
T
Texasbdog Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Hey guys I agree, I'm just telling you what she told me. I saw her today in fact, first time I had actually met her face to face. In her defense, the area I hunt has had a big problem with night hunters poaching deer at night, I think she had just had enough. I called her because of that fact and after meeting her today, I have no doubt she meant business, 5' tall with a can of snuff in her shirt pocket lol!

" What lies behind you and what lies before you are of little consiquense when compared to what lies within you"
R.W.E.
Re: Hunting Deer At Nigh [Re: Carlos B] #5472658 12/12/14 02:00 PM
G
gunnut81 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
G
Well hunting hogs at night is legal even in deer season but if I saw somebody shining a light on my place during season it would get ugly quick that kind of stuff is for the off season deer season is for deer hunting if a hog shows up by all means blast it but play time can wait until January, there is a 16 year old who hunts on my property who wanted to go varmint calling back in November fortunately he said something to e first and I was able to shut it down before he went and stirred up all the deer.

Endowment Life member NRA
there are a few bad republicans but there are no good democrats
(Ann Coulter)
Re: Hunting Deer At Nigh [Re: Carlos B] #5472763 12/12/14 03:00 PM
D
Dave Davidson Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
I seem to recall that, at one time, a landowner or his agent could hunt hogs without a license for depradation control. No idea whether that is still true.

Last edited by Dave Davidson; 12/12/14 03:00 PM.

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: Hunting Deer At Nigh [Re: Carlos B] #5472799 12/12/14 03:14 PM
D
dkershen Offline
Rev Dave
Rev Dave
D
BTW.. determining "when" a deer was shot is not difficult for a Game Warden. They do it that same way a coroner does by taking the temperature of the meat and calculating the cooling rate versus the outside temps.

Had a buddy that was a game warden in NY State. There is a processor there that gives prizes for the first buck of the year and for the biggest (heaviest) deer of the year. He would write a bunch of tickets every opening morning to guys who had jumped the gun on the season and shot a buck the day or night before. All it took was a meat thermometer to bust those poachers. hammer

To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

www.NewHopeEquine.com - Health and Healing through Horses.
Re: Hunting Deer At Nigh [Re: dkershen] #5473026 12/12/14 04:59 PM
C
Carlos B Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
C
Originally Posted By: dkershen
BTW.. determining "when" a deer was shot is not difficult for a Game Warden. They do it that same way a coroner does by taking the temperature of the meat and calculating the cooling rate versus the outside temps.

Had a buddy that was a game warden in NY State. There is a processor there that gives prizes for the first buck of the year and for the biggest (heaviest) deer of the year. He would write a bunch of tickets every opening morning to guys who had jumped the gun on the season and shot a buck the day or night before. All it took was a meat thermometer to bust those poachers. hammer

That's true I didn't think about that.

From http://tpwd.texas.gov/regulations/outdoor-annual/licenses/hunting-licenses-and-permits:

Exceptions

A hunting license is not required to hunt the following:

Coyotes, if the coyotes are attacking, about to attack or have recently attacked livestock, domestic animals or fowl.
Depredating feral hogs, if a landowner (resident or non-resident) or landowner's agent or lessee is taking feral hogs causing depredation on the landowner's land.
Fur-bearing animals, if the hunter possesses a trapper's license or if the fur-bearing animals are causing depredation.
Note: All laws and regulations governing hunter education requirements still apply.

Re: Hunting Deer At Nigh [Re: Carlos B] #5474098 12/13/14 11:08 AM
D
Dave Davidson Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Thanks Carlos.

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: Hunting Deer At Nigh [Re: Carlos B] #5475211 12/14/14 04:29 AM
D
doublez Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
D
This is a serious question...can you shoot an axis deer at night?

Re: Hunting Deer At Nigh [Re: doublez] #5475239 12/14/14 04:51 AM
FOsteology Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Originally Posted By: doublez

Yes

Re: Hunting Deer At Nigh [Re: FOsteology] #5475347 12/14/14 09:33 AM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
Originally Posted By: FOsteology
Originally Posted By: doublez

Yes

Yes if you are or have permission of the landowner, axis being an exotic animal are considered property of the landowner and are their deer as long as they are on the owned property.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide