Print Thread
Anyone ever hunted free range aoudad? #5467470 12/09/14 06:25 PM
J
jae011 Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
J
Free range aoudad....is the only way to hunt them getting a guide? Any public land options that are available? Seems kinda pricey to pay for a guided hunt to just shoot horns. A lot of ppl say the meat isn't edible.....

Re: Anyone ever hunted free range aoudad? [Re: jae011] #5467604 12/09/14 07:18 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Meat can be fine. I just cooked the tenders off a 29" ram that one of my hunters killed and convinced him and our taxidermist that the meat can be great.

I don't know if Parks and Wildlife lets the public hunt aoudads on state land.

Trophy fees are not "paying for a guide" per say though, you are paying for the right to "tresspass" on private property to hunt an asset that is worth that much to the landowner.

Aoudads are awesome trophies that are worth every penny IMO and evidently they've got your interest piqued. Mulie Mike on here offers great and reasonably priced "free range" hunts. The quotes are because aoudads really are free range anywhere they are. They can flat foot an 8' fence, and if they want they can just rip through them or squeeze under them.

If you have aoudads they are there because they want to be there.

For the cheapest option you could apply for the draw hunts in New Mexico. But then, you'd have to go to New Mexico... and how bad would that suck!!!? grin

Good luck, and trust me, taxidermist's best secret is how good aoudad meat is. It's like telling the dumb yankee non hunter that tenders are poison glands. Amazing that people actually believe that feces.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Anyone ever hunted free range aoudad? [Re: jae011] #5468231 12/10/14 01:07 AM
H
huntwest Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
I'm pretty sure there are some draw hunts. There are also self guided hunts that save some money. Mulie Mike has some available.
They are a blast to hunt but you need a few things. First a good set of legs to cover ground. A four wheeler to move around on, most ranches that have them are too rough for a truck and you need to glass a lot of country. A great set of binoculars and a spitting scope if possible. Last a good long range rifle that has real knock down power. Plan on 200 yard shots at a minimum.
As far as the meat, I don't know. They stink so bad I couldn't imagine they would be very good and old mature goat is definitely tough as a boot. I have a friend that cooked some and said if wasn't edible.

Re: Anyone ever hunted free range aoudad? [Re: therancher] #5468375 12/10/14 02:22 AM
C
cazador1022 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
+1 on this

Originally Posted By: therancher
Meat can be fine. I just cooked the tenders off a 29" ram that one of my hunters killed and convinced him and our taxidermist that the meat can be great.

Trophy fees are not "paying for a guide" per say though, you are paying for the right to "tresspass" on private property to hunt an asset that is worth that much to the landowner.

Aoudads are awesome trophies that are worth every penny IMO and evidently they've got your interest piqued. Mulie Mike on here offers great and reasonably priced "free range" hunts. The quotes are because aoudads really are free range anywhere they are. They can flat foot an 8' fence, and if they want they can just rip through them or squeeze under them.

For the cheapest option you could apply for the draw hunts in New Mexico. But then, you'd have to go to New Mexico... and how bad would that suck!!!? grin

Good luck, and trust me, taxidermist's best secret is how good aoudad meat is. It's like telling the dumb yankee non hunter that tenders are poison glands. Amazing that people actually believe that feces.

Re: Anyone ever hunted free range aoudad? [Re: therancher] #5468397 12/10/14 02:35 AM
C
cabosandinh Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C

that is good to know

I just have lone wild aoudad visiting my lease in Eastland,,, was a pleasant surprise
he spent 45 min at my feeder ,
he was there Dec 4, then again Dec 5 .... I'll be chasing after the white coat instead of white tails

Re: Anyone ever hunted free range aoudad? [Re: huntwest] #5468689 12/10/14 06:51 AM
J
jae011 Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
J
Originally Posted By: huntwest
I'm pretty sure there are some draw hunts. There are also self guided hunts that save some money. Mulie Mike has some available.
They are a blast to hunt but you need a few things. First a good set of legs to cover ground. A four wheeler to move around on, most ranches that have them are too rough for a truck and you need to glass a lot of country. A great set of binoculars and a spitting scope if possible. Last a good long range rifle that has real knock down power. Plan on 200 yard shots at a minimum.
As far as the meat, I don't know. They stink so bad I couldn't imagine they would be very good and old mature goat is definitely tough as a boot. I have a friend that cooked some and said if wasn't edible.

I have been on some tough spot and stalk hunts so the challenge of the hunt is a plus if anything. I love that stuff. As far as the meat goes... I have been told geese, antelope, duck, and wild hog is all to gamey and not good eating. I say those ppl either don't know how to cook or have eaten to much farm raised meat for their own good.

Re: Anyone ever hunted free range aoudad? [Re: therancher] #5468690 12/10/14 06:55 AM
J
jae011 Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
J

I think you sold me....

Re: Anyone ever hunted free range aoudad? [Re: jae011] #5468735 12/10/14 11:30 AM
C
Chief Joe Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Mulie Mike is the man to talk with! And I ate the back straps. Wish I had more! food

"It is the same boiling water that softens the rice, which hardens the egg." It's not always about the circumstances, but what you are made of....
Re: Anyone ever hunted free range aoudad? [Re: jae011] #5469032 12/10/14 03:07 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
My stepdad shot a ewe in 99' and we ate it. I think around 2004 I finally got the taste outta my mouth

If you put it in a crock pot or something it would probably be ok but we bbq'd it, fried it, etc and it was super tough

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Anyone ever hunted free range aoudad? [Re: jae011] #5469478 12/10/14 06:22 PM
N
NewJeep Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
N
Don't blame the animal for tasting bad blame the cook and processor.

Live to hunt, forced to work!
Re: Anyone ever hunted free range aoudad? [Re: jae011] #5469939 12/10/14 10:35 PM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C
I have tasted w/t that would gag a maggot

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Re: Anyone ever hunted free range aoudad? [Re: colt45-90] #5470600 12/11/14 04:51 AM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: colt45
I have tasted w/t that would gag a maggot

One taste of properly prepared aoudad will have you throwing white tail in the garbage. Unless you're as dense as txtrophy85... grin

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Anyone ever hunted free range aoudad? [Re: jae011] #5471948 12/12/14 12:10 AM
P
PBGSO Offline
Tracker
Tracker
P

Here is one we took in the past few days awesome hunt one of my favorites! I have had aoudad that was good and bad. There is a lot that goes into an aoudad hunt and it always helps to have an extra guy or 2 when you have to pack one out of a place like we did. I think for the price its is one of the best hunts you could do compare it to any sheep or goat hunt in the world. Aoudad are very cheap in my opinion for the trophy you get.

Offering year round hunting for native and exotic species in Texas!
www.huntsintexas.com
Re: Anyone ever hunted free range aoudad? [Re: PBGSO] #5472428 12/12/14 04:53 AM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: PBGSO

Here is one we took in the past few days awesome hunt one of my favorites! I have had aoudad that was good and bad. There is a lot that goes into an aoudad hunt and it always helps to have an extra guy or 2 when you have to pack one out of a place like we did. I think for the price its is one of the best hunts you could do compare it to any sheep or goat hunt in the world. Aoudad are very cheap in my opinion for the trophy you get.

X2

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Anyone ever hunted free range aoudad? [Re: NewJeep] #5472499 12/12/14 07:05 AM
J
jae011 Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
J
Originally Posted By: NewJeep
Don't blame the animal for tasting bad blame the cook and processor.

That's how I feel about wild game in general. It's like most ppl want it to loose all the wild flavor and taste like store bought meat....I don't get it

Re: Anyone ever hunted free range aoudad? [Re: jae011] #5482846 12/17/14 01:29 PM
S
SilverDogs Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
I have a herd roaming my lease off the Palo Duro Canyon up in the panhandle. Them things can cover a lot of rugged ground in a hurry. Good binos and a very healthy pair of legs to get within shooting range is a must. Ive shot 2 ewe and they both tasted great, even just throwing meat on the grill without seasoning. One of my lease partners shot a 30'' ram and he said the backstrap was better than any whitetail he's ever ate.

[Linked Image]
Re: Anyone ever hunted free range aoudad? [Re: SilverDogs] #5482912 12/17/14 02:03 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: SilverDogs
I have a herd roaming my lease off the Palo Duro Canyon up in the panhandle. Them things can cover a lot of rugged ground in a hurry. Good binos and a very healthy pair of legs to get within shooting range is a must. Ive shot 2 ewe and they both tasted great, even just throwing meat on the grill without seasoning. One of my lease partners shot a 30'' ram and he said the backstrap was better than any whitetail he's ever ate.

One aoudad done right will have you feeding dogs and inlaws your white tails.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Anyone ever hunted free range aoudad? [Re: jae011] #5483088 12/17/14 03:10 PM
D
dawaba Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
The pursuit of a free range aoudad is the best hunting in Texas. With its glassing, stalking, and climbing, it's the closest thing to a true sheep hunt that most Texans will ever experience.

With apologies to deer and pig hunters, you haven't hunted until you've climbed a sheep mountain. A free-range aoudad is a trophy you will have EARNED.

To quote NBA great, Bill Russell, "Don't come in here with any of that weak stuff!"

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple.....and wrong." H. L. Mencken
Re: Anyone ever hunted free range aoudad? [Re: dawaba] #5483308 12/17/14 04:19 PM
E
Elkhunter49 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
E
Originally Posted By: dawaba
The pursuit of a free range aoudad is the best hunting in Texas. With its glassing, stalking, and climbing, it's the closest thing to a true sheep hunt that most Texans will ever experience.

With apologies to deer and pig hunters, you haven't hunted until you've climbed a sheep mountain. A free-range aoudad is a trophy you will have EARNED.

To quote NBA great, Bill Russell, "Don't come in here with any of that weak stuff!"

Thats exactly what I Love about hunting Elk and Mule Deer out west. It's as tired and as satisfied as I've ever been. Baker

A true friend reaches for your hand but touches your heart.
Re: Anyone ever hunted free range aoudad? [Re: dawaba] #5486906 12/19/14 04:16 AM
C
cazador1022 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
could not have said it any better myself

Originally Posted By: dawaba

Re: Anyone ever hunted free range aoudad? [Re: jae011] #5496787 12/24/14 05:54 AM
T
texbuck Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
Check out the Bowranch on Bowranch.com.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide