Print Thread
2014 Best Year of my Life! #5468406 12/10/14 02:39 AM
S
Sunbergjo Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
S
Just to think, I'm only 18 and have many more adventures left! I'll be in Texas this summer to hunt exotics in trade for one of my whitetail hunts. On top of everything, I'm on 3 Track Teams, 5 Swim teams, FFA, 4-H, and MANY Poultry related clubs.

10/18/2014

After having an awful Elk Season this brightened my spirits!

5am- Woke up and was ready to hunt! The family, not so much.

6:25am- Out the door! Legal shooting light was at 6:45am.

7:20am Reach the destination, and man! There were a lot of hunters! We counted 39 Trucks in one area. Spot 6 Does and move on to our area we're planning to go.

8am- Heard 60-70 shots, 26 of them were from the same two guys and they didn't even hit anything.

8:20am- Somebody is already on the ridge I wanted, no big deal! We move to a different ridge, we heard 7 shots and see 5 Does pop over the hill towards us.

9am- Starting to think all the deer that are left are the doe bedded 250 yards from us...guy 400 yards from us shot a 13pt Mule deer buck.

10am- EVERYBODY left...we just watched everybody leave.

11am- Does are STILL bedded there. 12pm- Yup, still there. Watch a few guys stop walk in about 500 yards walk back out like 6-7 times (different hunters) 1pm- Just relaxing, watching the does...

2pm- I was reading a book and just happened to peeked over the ridge and a buck was right there at 75 yards with his head down on the ground sprinting and making little grunt noises. I grabbed my gun and put my heart right on his shoulder as he stood there and he just barely moved and I shot him a little far back. Next shot I missed, and notice I was out of my deer ammo! 300 yards down the hill and I grab my elk ammo and put on shot in and got prone, squeezed the trigger, and he dropped! Perfect quartering away shot.

3pm- My Cousin has never shot a deer, he had no idea how to gut or quarter a buck. Packed over 100lbs out 3 miles! Saw lots of does and smaller bucks on our way back out.

Finished the night fishing, this trip was a blast! I'll be heading back home tomorrow and I'll be after whitetail again! It seems like people just meander around the mountains, they didn't just sit still or stay out very long.

151" Buck Regular Tag shot 10/26/2014

STORY

151"

Woke up this morning, had a busy day yesterday but knew I had to drag myself out of bed. Drove forever away...that 2 mile drive really gets to you. Finally the wind was to the east and I could set up on the other side of the corn field where I know my target buck is. Long story short, the buck I passed up the first week of October pokes his head out from the brome at 200 yards and works his way to me. At the time I didn't know it was a buck, I was fine until he was about 50 yards away and saw his rack. I couldn't pass him up a second time, he started working a scrape 7 yards away from me and I took my time. Shot him broadside Liver/Lung, waited an hour and found my arrow covered in fat? I had no idea why is was covered in fat! I then found an empty bed with blood. I sat there for a bit looking at the blood, it was normal lung blood. But the arrow had fat on it. I waited until noon (5 hours) headed back out and started tracking. 20 yards from the bed he was sitting there still breathing, put another arrow in him at 20 yards shooting down at him. He went right into the corn, I waited 25 minutes and went after him. He had crashed in the corn 75 yards away on the terrace. I was thankful because the blood trail quit right after that first bed! If he would have moved, there's no way I would have found him. Overall, he's a great buck and the first one I'll be mounting! Biggest Archery deer, went into town and bought my LOT. Time to get back after it! Today was my 18th Birthday, so I couldn't have been more pumped. Let's hope tomorrow morning the buck of my dreams makes a mistake.

172" Buck Landowner Tag shot 11/6/2014 Ignore the no smile picture! All my other ones I was smiling, but this one turned out the best (no flash on the others)

STORY:
172", 23 and 24" MBs

It was starting as a normal day for me, 6th day of waking up at 5:05am to hunt the buck I call Holstein. I didn't see a single deer while out in the morning and thinking nothing of it headed to school. I told my friend we should meet up and go hunting this afternoon on one of our places (with the foodplot in mind) the wind was perfect for the stands. We went out around 1:30 I sat 200 yards down into the timber and he sat over the food plot. The night wore on and bucks were going through like crazy, saw a 140-145" 8pt and some other decent bucks that will be awesome next year! I had this hen turkey come in to about hearing distance and I yelped at her. I don't use a mouth call or slate I'm able to yelp just like a hen. I called her in to about 75 yards and she roosted right by me. About that time I hear leafs rustling down in the creek draw. I look over and see the buck messing around getting a drink, I stood up in my stand because I was expecting him to walk the creek, he then just turned right around the way he was going. My friend, who just started to rattle and grunt brought this buck back! He came running and stood broadside for me at 6 yards, I smoked him! He ran 160 yards and started tumbling and bedded down right out of sight of my friend. At exactly 4:58 (Because I couldn't wait until 5) I went down to the ground. I saw his head right on the edge and decided I had to make a move FAST. I didn't want him going ANYWHERE tonight and we'd bump him for sure if we had to leave. I snuck up to 20 yards and he jumps from his bed and wobbles away HE WAS HURTING. I grabbed an arrow and he was broadside at 30 yards and my arrow his a branch. Then I had about a 3ft clearing and I knew he'd be at 40 yards when he would walk by. He started to wobble and I stuck him and he dropped right on the edge of the food plot.

The rest is history.

147" Buck Regular Tag (Shotgun Party hunting, it's my Dad's tag still have my own)
shot 12/6/2014
Story:

Bounce back to 2011, I decided it would be a good idea to try to manage a property to hunt. Now, this dream didn't come true until 2014...but it started here. I decided to put out a trail camera on this place. It was slow, and nothing came to it besides this buck and I pulled it down and it didn't return until 2012. In 2012 I had lots of decent bucks on my camera and I ended up finding this guys 2012 shed. In 2013, I went after this buck and started to work on the farm clearing lanes, getting trespassers off, and working with neighbors on the quality of hunting. Now, I shot my 172" buck on this property but this buck is more important to me. My Dad found this bucks 2009 side while running gas earlier this year. This year I decided he'd be my #2 hitlist buck and the other 172" would be #3. I worked hard trying to keep him in the area but never seemed to get day pictures of him. He stayed in the area until about two weeks before shotgun where he didn't show up on camera AT ALL. Figuring he was dead, I decided to buy a landowner doe tag and 2nd season regular and have my Dad by his Regular season 1 tag and a landowner doe tag. We made the agreement on Friday night that I was going to stay until 10am and then leave to check out the area by our grain bins (about 1 mile away on the section we have). I sat up onto of the grain bins and looked out and saw this buck with 19 does/fawns heading south (running) I figured it'd be my only chance at this buck. I packed up headed south in the truck back to kind of where my Dad was at and made my move. I then saw 27 does/fawns and watched them for a good hour (thinking those were the does/fawns with the buck). I never saw him but ended up having the urge to check if he was still in the draw where I saw him running. I went to that draw and started SLOWLY and I mean SLOWLY working that draw walking at turtle pace. I was about 200 yards from the end of the draw and I saw 3 sets of ears, and like a rocket the does were off. I figured that was it, but kept sneaking up the draw. Heck, I almost started heading back to the pick-up but figured the mile and a half walk on the road would be easier and maybe I could get a ride. I started walking like normal and I was 10 yards away from the end of the draw when he jumped out! Scared me but I was able to get on him and get a shot (a little high) and then the worst happened...my scope rail was loose! I shot 3 more times but they were crazy off, 30-40 yards off! Shot two more times and hit him in the leg. He ran over the hill and I could see he was having a hard time. I tried taking my scope off but it wouldn't come off. I ran over the hill and started to follow the blood trail and had 3 guys in another field looking right at me. I yelled "Did you see where he went?!" they yelled back "He's in the draw bedded down!" I could see him bedded down about 80 yards away and got down to the last terrace where I was about 50 yards from him. I'm lucky I bought see-through scope rings and was able to put in another slug to finish him off with a double lung. Was a crazy hunt to say the least!

By the way, the clover, soybeans, and corn look awesome! Followed most of what Dbltree had to say. Going to miss all his amazing advice!

Re: 2014 Best Year of my Life! [Re: Sunbergjo] #5468417 12/10/14 02:42 AM
S
Sunbergjo Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
S
March 21st 2014 -
This was amazing! I got out around 2ish, my mother was worried and wouldn't let me go out at first. I only was able to shed hunt for about a little less than 2 hours. I was super bummed because she wouldn't let me stay out...it's supposed to snow tomorrow.

Saw these the first thing, about 30 yards off the road

First I found a huge 4 (not the ATL)

Then I spotted a ton of Elk! Like about 50 then I watched even more pour out of the timber!

Then I got on top of the ridge! Wow, so many Elk! I'm in the right spot.

Selfie with the Elk!

Then my Mom called...I was like dang it! She told me to come back down...I decided to walk the ridge for a bit wink Then I spotted it! About 200 yards away from where I just was! ELK SHED

After that I started to head down to the car and spotted another antler...wait no two!

Then I saw spotted another antler wink see it?

Here's a better picture!
[img]http://i1373.photobucket.com/albums/ag381/sunbergjo/100_3836_zps4198076b.jpg[/img]

Re: 2014 Best Year of my Life! [Re: Sunbergjo] #5468420 12/10/14 02:42 AM
S
Sunbergjo Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
S
March 23rd 2014 -
Here we go boys! This is what I'm talking about!

[/url]

Walked up the mountain to get to the top (sage grass everywhere) Found this on the edge of a 200ft drop.
[/url]

Almost to the top and spotted this...
[/url]

Then the big ones! ATL!
[/url]
[/url]

All my finds!
[/url]
[/url]
[/url]

Re: 2014 Best Year of my Life! [Re: Sunbergjo] #5468422 12/10/14 02:43 AM
S
Sunbergjo Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
S
May 17th 2014 -

After a big day Thursday I was stomped on Friday! I couldn't get out of bed to save my life, why you ask? Because I had districts for track. I'll be running on the big blue Thursday and Saturday next week. With that being said, turkey hunting last night was a drag. I didn't see a single turkey or hear a single gobble, then again I did go out at 5:30pm Last night I set 3 alarms and told myself I need to go since this is the final morning I can hunt. I woke up at 4am then I hit the pillow and woke back up to my second alarm at 4:05 I rolled out of bed and made the hour trip to my hunting spot. I drove into the field and wanted to get closer (I'm super lazy today) and drove about 1/4 mile into the field. I get out and hear gobbles about 1/2 mile away on the other side of the fence. I figured nothing would be even close to where I was setting up. Where I setup the landowner took out Walnut trees, I sat in between two walnut logs. I was putting out my hen decoy I heard 3 gobbles probably 70 yards from me in the trees. I look over and it's light enough to see 5 birds total in the trees. I stuck my hen decoy in the dirt and headed back to the walnuts. I've never seen toms strut in the trees before and they were doing just that, which was pretty cool to watch for half an hour. About 6am two hens fly down clucking and the toms soon follow. I watch as they're at 100 yards (No idea I'm there or the decoy). One of the toms start closing the distance, 60 yards and then they all turn around and start going the other way. I thought this was my only chance I'm going to take this. I shot 3 times, the entire time they were just staring at me! On my third shot the tom dropped in his tracks and started flopping he then got up and flew but hit a small tree and didn't move after that.

23.5#

Spurs
1 1/4
1 7/16

Beard
9.5"

New tradition is to have a cat in all my harvest photos.

Re: 2014 Best Year of my Life! [Re: Sunbergjo] #5468423 12/10/14 02:43 AM
East Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Living the life right there

wow

Re: 2014 Best Year of my Life! [Re: Sunbergjo] #5468428 12/10/14 02:44 AM
S
Sunbergjo Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
S
Sept. 12th 2014-

Bought 4 Moultrie A-8 Cameras to setup out there and have a new scope on my 7mm WSM. Bought some Cabela's Boa Snake Boots. Buying some Sitka Downpour Gear and Deadshot Fieldpod next. Have to return the range finder because it didn't work. Still have a lot of stuff on the gear list, leaving next Monday to scout and put cameras up! Can't wait to see some Elk and Mule deer. We're zip lining and white water kayaking in Wyoming before I start scouting. (Old post from July)

You wouldn't believe the amount of Antelope we saw going up to the mountains.(Old post on Iowawhitetail)

Went shed hunting on some BLM land in Wyoming, saw a few Mule Deer and Rabbits.

Nobody had been up where we're hunting in a long time. There weren't any tire tracks up there.

It was thick, but there were tons of Elk tracks

[img]http://i1373.photobucket.com/albums/ag381/sunbergjo/101_0726_zps5465105f.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i1373.photobucket.com/albums...83492.jpg[/img]

Re: 2014 Best Year of my Life! [Re: Sunbergjo] #5468429 12/10/14 02:45 AM
S
Sunbergjo Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
S
Friday 10/10/14

After driving through most of the night we setup camp and got settled in.

My Uncle had already got my trail camera down from the mountain and had a few 1,000 pictures mostly false triggers/hunters but there were about 800 pictures of Elk/Mule Deer.

[/URL]

After we got done looking through all the pictures and having to use the camera to see them after my laptop died (No power) I headed up the mountain to fish...
[img]http://i1373.photobucket.com/albums...9451b.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i1373.photobucket.com/albums...629f8.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i1373.photobucket.com/albums...95f64.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i1373.photobucket.com/albums...54191.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i1373.photobucket.com/albums...494e9.jpg[/img]

Caught a few rainbow trout, nothing big enough to keep.
[img]http://i1373.photobucket.com/albums...4be3e.jpg[/img]

Re: 2014 Best Year of my Life! [Re: Sunbergjo] #5468434 12/10/14 02:45 AM
S
Sunbergjo Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
S
10/11/2014

Opening day AM was un-eventful. No shots, No Elk, Nada. All I saw was a few Antelope and a Bobcat.

Opening Day PM Saw way too many Moose...it's apparently rut. Saw about 20 Moose in total but my camera battery died!

10/12/14

Seriously, by this point in time I was sick of the Moose...they won't move. You have to wait about forever for them to move or they'll charge at you.

Anyway, this morning was crazy. Shots everywhere, my Uncle and Aunt saw 12 elk with 3 shooter bulls but couldn't connect. After the firestorm calmed down there were a few bugles and then I heard one shot and we talked with one group and they were heading over to pick up a bull their buddy had shot.

Still have yet to see an Elk...I have three more days yet!

Re: 2014 Best Year of my Life! [Re: Sunbergjo] #5468442 12/10/14 02:47 AM
S
Sunbergjo Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
S
FORGOT A BIG DAY!

May 30th 2014, when I got my elk and mule deer tags smile

I've been smiling for a few hours because I finally got the news smile

I'm hunting Elk and Mule deer in the great state of Colorado!

[/url]

Re: 2014 Best Year of my Life! [Re: Sunbergjo] #5468450 12/10/14 02:53 AM
S
Sunbergjo Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
S
Meant to post this in photos.

Last edited by TeenageHunter; 12/10/14 02:53 AM.
Re: 2014 Best Year of my Life! [Re: Sunbergjo] #5468546 12/10/14 04:31 AM
N
Nathan at Fork Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
N
Dang, you must either have a Great high paying job at 18 or some amazing parents!

[Linked Image]
Re: 2014 Best Year of my Life! [Re: Nathan at Fork] #5468555 12/10/14 04:50 AM
S
Sunbergjo Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
S
Originally Posted By: Nathan at Fork
Dang, you must either have a Great high paying job at 18 or some amazing parents!

I have both, ended up saving about $4,000 during the summer to fund my Colorado trips. Had to buy guns, camo, binos, ect. Bought a new bow too! I'll be working again this summer and I have a side business too that should make a me a little extra money.

Re: 2014 Best Year of my Life! [Re: Sunbergjo] #5468564 12/10/14 04:55 AM
N
Nathan at Fork Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
N
That's great! Some amazing pictures. Look forward to seeing what 2015 holds for you!

[Linked Image]
Re: 2014 Best Year of my Life! [Re: Sunbergjo] #5468592 12/10/14 05:06 AM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
cheers

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: 2014 Best Year of my Life! [Re: Sunbergjo] #5468606 12/10/14 05:13 AM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Looks like an outstanding year!!! Congrats to you up

I was looking for one of your post earlier, don't you usually collect a ton of sheds up there?

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: 2014 Best Year of my Life! [Re: Sunbergjo] #5468669 12/10/14 06:07 AM
B
BradyBuck Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Very cool!

HRCH Washita's Kimber Locked N Loaded
GRHRCH Firefly's Rally The Troops MH
Re: 2014 Best Year of my Life! [Re: Sunbergjo] #5468805 12/10/14 01:14 PM
J
JRJ6 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
up

Re: 2014 Best Year of my Life! [Re: Sunbergjo] #5468829 12/10/14 01:25 PM
J
jshouse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
awesome, congrats up

Originally Posted By: cameron00
If I send my neighbors a text and ask them to give me feedback on my lawn and plant rye into a giant dong pattern, I'm probably going to get some less than positive feedback. Same goes here.
Re: 2014 Best Year of my Life! [Re: Sunbergjo] #5468840 12/10/14 01:33 PM
L
landsurveyor Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
L
eeks333

"A hungry dog hunts best." Lee Trevino

www.prospectlandsurveying.com
Re: 2014 Best Year of my Life! [Re: Sunbergjo] #5468849 12/10/14 01:36 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Wow, you can call me jealous. More hunting in one year than ive done in my life... and im no longer a teenager frown

Thank your parents.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: 2014 Best Year of my Life! [Re: Sunbergjo] #5468883 12/10/14 01:55 PM
B
Bissett Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
Wow. nice pics and a solid year for sure!

Re: 2014 Best Year of my Life! [Re: Sunbergjo] #5469880 12/10/14 10:00 PM
C
Captain Luke Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
That's great!! Keep it up, and don't ever lose the motivation you currently have. There are a lot of distractions once you get to college and start "growing up", but don't ever forget your love for the outdoors. I'm 38 years old now, and I regret not hunting or fishing as much as I could have when I was in my early 20s. I wasted a lot weekends partying and having too much of a good time. It wasn't until I was married (25) that I rediscovered the outdoors.

If you want some friendly advice, get a haircut and take a bath. You wouldn't get hassled so much.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide