Forum Stats
60453 Members
45 Forums
475963 Topics
6243688 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#5467938 - 12/09/14 04:04 PM High Fence question.
JTS Online   content
Bird Dog

Loc: Wichita Co.
I am considering high fencing a portion of my property (500-600 acres). I am not wanting to open a guided hunt place, just a place for me and my family to use. I discussed this with a buddy and he thought that you had to remove/kill all the deer in the fence and stock it with purchased whitetails. I can't believe that to be true but I thought I would ask here and check.

For any of you that have high fenced a place do you normally just let the deer trapped when building the fence mature or do you bring in good genetics after you fence it in?

#5468022 - 12/09/14 04:48 PM Re: High Fence question. [Re: JTS]
cabosandinh Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Dallas, TX
he's suggesting you start with known genetics, nothing wrong with that

I would leave the existing deer population and add additional genes only if they truly are inferior

#5468051 - 12/09/14 05:07 PM Re: High Fence question. [Re: JTS]
SingleShot85 Offline

Loc: S.A. and Kinney Co.
all depends, do you like the mature deer you have on your property...... a fence itn't going to make them automatically get bigger..... with a sound mgmt plan for that 600 acres and about 10 years you can make a significant shift upward with the current population....

of course if you want faster results your buddy may be on to something...

#5468197 - 12/09/14 06:45 PM Re: High Fence question. [Re: SingleShot85]
Falcon09 Offline
Light Foot

It's my understanding that the deer on your property do not belong to you. The deer belong to the state of Texas, so they must be removed from your property. Not sure how you would do that.

#5468261 - 12/09/14 07:16 PM Re: High Fence question. [Re: Falcon09]
DQ Kid Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Flower Mound, TX
Originally Posted By: Falcon09
It's my understanding that the deer on your property do not belong to you. The deer belong to the state of Texas, so they must be removed from your property. Not sure how you would do that.

Think this is more conceptual than actual. I've known several that have built high fences without running off all the deer or capturing them. Think all that is required is to not restrain them as the fence is being built meaning they are free to roam out during the high fence build.

#5468301 - 12/09/14 07:38 PM Re: High Fence question. [Re: Falcon09]
TX Hitman Offline
Woodsman

Loc: West Texas

X2
Was told that by the GW about a month ago.

There a loooong high fence going up near where we hunt. Was visiting about it because the GW lives about 15 miles from there and said the exact same as above. He said that they will inventory it once the fence is complete and check back with the land owner to make sure he in complying.

#5468316 - 12/09/14 07:48 PM Re: High Fence question. [Re: JTS]
txshntr Online   content
T-Rex Arms

Loc: Mansfield, Texas
You can fence them in, you are just restricted by the laws of the state, same as a LF place. From what I have seen and read, there is nothing illegal about fencing in deer. What if all your neighbors fenced off their property, you supposed to kill off or run off the states deer? There are plenty of HF places that simply manage the native herd.

#5468317 - 12/09/14 07:50 PM Re: High Fence question. [Re: txshntr]
DQ Kid Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Flower Mound, TX
Originally Posted By: txshntr
You can fence them in, you are just restricted by the laws of the state, same as a LF place. From what I have seen and read, there is nothing illegal about fencing in deer. What if all your neighbors fenced off their property, you supposed to kill off or run off the states deer? There are plenty of HF places that simply manage the native herd.

This is my understanding too TREX, never while hunting South Texas did I hear this inventorying and releasing the deer. Could be a newer regulation that I'm not aware of I guess.

#5468681 - 12/10/14 12:44 AM Re: High Fence question. [Re: txshntr]
Falcon09 Offline
Light Foot

High fencing your property and being fenced in are two seperate incidents. I wasn't 100 percent sure but the post on here got his info straight from a Game Warden.

#5468894 - 12/10/14 08:06 AM Re: High Fence question. [Re: Falcon09]
txshntr Online   content
T-Rex Arms

Loc: Mansfield, Texas

High fencing your property and being fenced in are two seperate incidents. I wasn't 100 percent sure but the post on here got his info straight from a Game Warden.

Same principal and from the laws I have read, they do not distinguish the difference. I have been on a lot of HF operations, but have only been involved with one from the beginning. Only time I have heard of a HF operation clearing out the native population is for management purposes, never because they are the states deer and you can't trap them.

I will look to see if I can find the codes that address this, but surprised some of the HF owners on this forum haven't chimed in.

#5468950 - 12/10/14 08:31 AM Re: High Fence question. [Re: Falcon09]
BOBO the Clown Offline
decoy

Loc: Metroplex

Ironically two of the largest native deer killed in texas was on a ranch that was fenced in

#5468963 - 12/10/14 08:39 AM Re: High Fence question. [Re: TX Hitman]
BOBO the Clown Offline
decoy

Loc: Metroplex
Originally Posted By: TX Hitman

X2
Was told that by the GW about a month ago.

There a loooong high fence going up near where we hunt. Was visiting about it because the GW lives about 15 miles from there and said the exact same as above. He said that they will inventory it once the fence is complete and check back with the land owner to make sure he in complying.

You either misunderstood him or his is wrong. I'm betting misunderstood

#5468965 - 12/10/14 08:41 AM Re: High Fence question. [Re: JTS]
cameron00 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Texas
Yeah, you absolutely do not have to "remove the deer" when you put a high fence up. Furthermore, if you're putting the fence up to keep deer out rather than in, the State will oversee a total kill operation within the fence.

You're still regulated by the State as to how many you can kill, etc., so just putting a HF up doesn't really change a whole lot as far as the deer go.

#5469561 - 12/10/14 01:05 PM Re: High Fence question. [Re: JTS]
JTS Online   content
Bird Dog

Loc: Wichita Co.
When we run cattle we always bring in a bull that is not genetically related to the female cows, but we sell off all the calfs.

I know inbreeding will happen with deer fenced in. Is this a problem?

#5469565 - 12/10/14 01:11 PM Re: High Fence question. [Re: JTS]
Navasot Offline
Natty Love

Loc: Normangee/Navasota TX
Originally Posted By: JTS
When we run cattle we always bring in a bull that is not genetically related to the female cows, but we sell off all the calfs.

I know inbreeding will happen with deer fenced in. Is this a problem?

No... to an extent atleast

http://www.j5tractors.com/

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide