Print Thread
Wildgame Innovations Trail Tablet Review #5462591 12/07/14 04:43 PM
P
Pittstate Online Content OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
P
Since I went ahead and bought the tablet, I figured I would post a review in case anyone else is looking at getting one.

Pros:
1) It has a video player called "Owl" that works awesome to view Flextime (Time lapse video) videos. I even tried it on my Moultrie camera files (Plot Stalker) and it works on them too! I am a big proponent of using Time Lapse to figure out where the deer and entering and exiting. Once you start using time lapse, you will never go back to regular camera mode.

2) It works very well to view pics from full size SD cards

3) great device to view sd card and email pics to buddys or post to facebook (if you have wifi). No longer do you need to take a pic of a pic to send to your buddies. You can also download texting app to text the pics too (again, need wifi).

4) you can download apps to play with while hunting or whatever you are doing.

5) android 4.4 operating system. It has a button to make a screen shot photo which comes in very handy.

Cons:
1) only 8gb of storage

2) Processor isn't the fastest. Takes some time to copy lots of photos at one time from sd card to device (of course this isn't what the device was intended to do).

3) camera on it is very weak.

Overall:
I give it 4 out of 5 stars. It does what it is suppose to do and does it well. I wish they would have gave it 64 gb of data storage and quad core processor. Then again, it wouldn't cost $149 with all that. If you like to pull your cards and view pics in the box blind while hunting, I highly recommend this device.

Re: Wildgame Innovations Trail Tablet Review [Re: Pittstate] #5463013 12/07/14 08:16 PM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Quote:
Takes some time to copy lots of photos at one time from sd card to device (of course this isn't what the device was intended to do).

It may not be what it was intended to do, but it is what we would like them to do as part of managing game camera images in the field.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Wildgame Innovations Trail Tablet Review [Re: Pittstate] #5463024 12/07/14 08:22 PM
dfwroadkill Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Sounds like it does a lot for the money... up

Re: Wildgame Innovations Trail Tablet Review [Re: Pittstate] #5463033 12/07/14 08:25 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
That it does. A buddy of mine is getting one for his wife for Xmas to check game cams. I am waiting to see how well they like it before getting one. Depending on the reviews elsewhere, it is either okay or painfully slow to upload images. Painfully slow would be bad.

Where it rocks is that it seems to be virtually the only tablet around taking full size SD cards.

Re: Wildgame Innovations Trail Tablet Review [Re: Pittstate] #5463080 12/07/14 08:50 PM
dfwroadkill Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Samsung and Sony tablets, to name a couple, accept full size SD cards via a cable. It is a bit cumbersome, but works. I just wish they would go on and make it part of standard tablets, iPad and/or Android. May be out there, but I haven't seen it.

Re: Wildgame Innovations Trail Tablet Review [Re: Pittstate] #5463335 12/07/14 10:43 PM
D
DQ Kid Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Dicks Sporting Goods is currently running the Wildgame Innovations Handheld Card Viewers for $59.99 regular $69.99 plus an additional $10 mail-in rebate. I used a separate $10 off Dicks rewards offer so for $50 before the rebate I picked one up last night. Will be $40++ once said and done. It is 4.3" and hoping works well. Tired of bringing my laptop out every time to review the cards.

Re: Wildgame Innovations Trail Tablet Review [Re: Double Naught Spy] #5463601 12/08/14 12:41 AM
P
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
P
Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy
Quote:
Takes some time to copy lots of photos at one time from sd card to device (of course this isn't what the device was intended to do).

It may not be what it was intended to do, but it is what we would like them to do as part of managing game camera images in the field.

If you are viewing your photos and saving the good ones to the tablet to email/text to buddies, it works very fast. I was trying to put a sd card with about 2 gb of pics on it and copying it to the tablet just to test it. With only having 8 gb of memory on the device, you are very limited to what you can save on it.

Re: Wildgame Innovations Trail Tablet Review [Re: Pittstate] #5464616 12/08/14 02:10 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Quote:
If you are viewing your photos and saving the good ones to the tablet to email/text to buddies, it works very fast. I was trying to put a sd card with about 2 gb of pics on it and copying it to the tablet just to test it. With only having 8 gb of memory on the device, you are very limited to what you can save on it.

Right, but do you want to stand at a tree for an hour going over your pics to determine which ones you want before returning the card to the game camera or would just copy to the unit for later viewing?

If I am collecting a bunch of cards from cameras to view later, I am not sure where this little tablet is going to be much benefit. I can do that anyway with a small laptop that downloads SD cards readily for viewing and emailing. The problem with the laptop is that it is much more fragile to carry around tree to tree to download images from cameras. So a tablet would be much more ideal.

With that said, the 4" version is just $56 and sounds like it will do just about as well, just with less view area. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Wildgame-Innovations-Handheld-Card-Viewer-Trail-PAD/24534527

Re: Wildgame Innovations Trail Tablet Review [Re: Double Naught Spy] #5464639 12/08/14 02:24 PM
dfwroadkill Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: DQ Kid
Tired of bringing my laptop out every time to review the cards.

Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy
Right, but do you want to stand at a tree for an hour going over your pics to determine which ones you want before returning the card to the game camera or would just copy to the unit for later viewing?

I must be doing it wrong guys. I just remove the current card and install a fresh one. Collect them all to view later. It generally isn't going to help me much to know what is on there that moment anyway.

Re: Wildgame Innovations Trail Tablet Review [Re: Pittstate] #5465130 12/08/14 06:35 PM
P
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
P
80% of the time, I do the sd card swap and bring them back to my home computer to view, save the good ones and re-format the card for next time. I use to save all my photo's, but I just have way to many. So, what I do now if just save a couple here and there of new bucks or cool photos. I like the tablet for when I have been gone a couple weeks and am in the blind that same day. With a viewer, you can browse the pics and see what time they have been coming in. With the tablet, you can browse to find out the same thing, save pics you want to keep and even email/text them to people. You can then re-format the card and it is ready again. The tablet is not going to replace my laptop by no means, just compliment it. Also, there is a big difference in quality of image and what you see between a digital camera vs viewer and between 4.3" viewer and 7" tablet.

Re: Wildgame Innovations Trail Tablet Review [Re: Pittstate] #5465834 12/09/14 12:34 AM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Not wrong, dfw, just different to match your for your needs. If I operated like you, then I would not need a little tablet or laptop in the field. If I switched and collected cards and brought them back to the truck or back home, then my laptop does fine and I don't need a tablet.

About half the time, I check when going to hunt. I am not going back home and viewing later will mean viewing after the hunt if I don't have the electronics with me. Viewing after the hunt doesn't help with making decisions about the hunt.

Last edited by Double Naught Spy; 12/09/14 12:38 AM.

Re: Wildgame Innovations Trail Tablet Review [Re: Pittstate] #5466172 12/09/14 02:56 AM
dfwroadkill Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Are you telling me you have your hogs patterned and that the cards will let you know when they are coming? happy3

Re: Wildgame Innovations Trail Tablet Review [Re: Pittstate] #5467427 12/09/14 06:06 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
roflmao

Re: Wildgame Innovations Trail Tablet Review [Re: Pittstate] #5468287 12/10/14 01:30 AM
P
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
P
Just trying to give an honest review of a product for others. I have no affiliation with Wildgame and just told about how I use it. I don't mind someone having a different opinion than mine, but damn, can you at least try the product out before you give reviews???

I try to give reviews every once in a while when I have time because I enjoy reading other peoples unbiased reviews. Nothing worse than reading a review and buying something when the reviewer never even laid hands on the product.

Not calling anyone out specifically here, but if the shoe fits.......

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide