Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Passing on Legal Bucks [Re: Bobvilla] #5465964 12/09/14 01:39 AM
F
Fishercounty Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
F
. Pay the money shoot the place out, move on. Think longer term,things seem to come into perspective. Do you want a 110" deer every year or a 140 plus every few years?

Re: Passing on Legal Bucks [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5466012 12/09/14 02:00 AM
10pointers Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
Originally Posted By: txshntr
Your new to deer hunting, I wouldn't get all wrapped up in the management and "what is a trophy" just yet. If that is what you enjoy, then by all means, go for it. I know when I started hunting, a 95" eight pointer was a bonafide trophy and everyone else's opinion be damned.

Go out and enjoy it bud. Plenty of time to worry about management later. Your one deer is not going to make or break the herd, it is just going to stop that one deer from getting older. If you like it, take it up

+1. This "management" craze has got a lot of new hunters overthinking stuff and missing out on a lot of fun IMO.

Could not add anything to this. Well stated both of you!

Signature images may not be larger than 600 pixels wide by 125 pixels tall. That smile says it all
[North Dakota -16degrees

"Things may come to those who wait, but only those things left by those who hustle."
- Abraham Lincoln
Re: Passing on Legal Bucks [Re: Mr. T.] #5466631 12/09/14 02:15 PM
J
jshouse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted By: Mr. T.
This may sound rude, but please understand that it is not meant to be. If you need to kill a buck to enjoy your hunting season, then by all means do so. If you don't need a kill to have fun out in the field then let them grow for one more year.
I also hunt on a small place, 54 acres and passed on this buck for the last two years. Everyday when he would jump the fence to my neighbor's place i would just say a little prayer that he would make it through the season. this year I took him. Now, it gave me something to brag about, but I had just as much fun being out there the previous two years when I did not harvest a buck at all. To be fair with you, I'm 65 and have killed a lot of bucks in my lifetime, so the killing is no longer the reason I go deer hunting.
place i would just say a little prayer that he would make it through the season. this year I took him. Now, it gave me something to brag about, but I had just as much fun being out there the previous two years when I did not harvest a buck at all.

great buck, and I agree with this, I hunt small places with neighbors that are looking for horns and still have multiple bucks make it to 5yo+. like T said, if you want to kill a buck then by all means go ahead, but don't do it just because you think your neighbor will if you don't.

Originally Posted By: cameron00
If I send my neighbors a text and ask them to give me feedback on my lawn and plant rye into a giant dong pattern, I'm probably going to get some less than positive feedback. Same goes here.
Re: Passing on Legal Bucks [Re: Bobvilla] #5466637 12/09/14 02:19 PM
T
TRIJI....WHAT Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
I always heard if you shoot a buck because your neighbor shoots anything that jumps the fence then you are that neighbor. Makes sense and glad you got a nice buck that you have watched for a couple years. I am lucky as all my neighbors are like minded and lots of bucks make it 5 years or more.

Good luck with your hunting!!!

Shhhhhhhh better to be quiet than remove all doubt..
Re: Passing on Legal Bucks [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5466646 12/09/14 02:21 PM
J
jshouse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Your new to deer hunting, I wouldn't get all wrapped up in the management and "what is a trophy" just yet. If that is what you enjoy, then by all means, go for it. I know when I started hunting, a 95" eight pointer was a bonafide trophy and everyone else's opinion be damned.

Go out and enjoy it bud. Plenty of time to worry about management later. Your one deer is not going to make or break the herd, it is just going to stop that one deer from getting older. If you like it, take it up

+1. This "management" craze has got a lot of new hunters overthinking stuff and missing out on a lot of fun IMO.

you sound like the guys I hunt with when I passed a good buck a few weeks ago...it was fun watching him eat for 10 mins and it was fun watching him walk away, he was the biggest deer I've ever seen at 15 yards but I wanted to give him another year, you would have thought I passed on the hanson buck with some of the responses I got. I didn't have to kill him to have fun, I got a few pics of him, which was cool enough for me.

Originally Posted By: cameron00
If I send my neighbors a text and ask them to give me feedback on my lawn and plant rye into a giant dong pattern, I'm probably going to get some less than positive feedback. Same goes here.
Re: Passing on Legal Bucks [Re: jshouse] #5466734 12/09/14 02:55 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
Originally Posted By: jshouse

you sound like the guys I hunt with when I passed a good buck a few weeks ago...it was fun watching him eat for 10 mins and it was fun watching him walk away, he was the biggest deer I've ever seen at 15 yards but I wanted to give him another year, you would have thought I passed on the hanson buck with some of the responses I got. I didn't have to kill him to have fun, I got a few pics of him, which was cool enough for me.

up cheers Once you've seen the deer, and in your case gotten pics, does it really matter if you put him in the back of your truck?

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Passing on Legal Bucks [Re: txshntr] #5466822 12/09/14 03:16 PM
L
landsurveyor Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L

I agree with this 100%.

"A hungry dog hunts best." Lee Trevino

www.prospectlandsurveying.com
Re: Passing on Legal Bucks [Re: Bobvilla] #5466851 12/09/14 03:23 PM
S
Stevarino Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
S
Already a lot of good stuff stated on here. The only thing i'll add is do not shoot a deer just because you think your neighbor is going to.
Dont over think it. If you like him, and he's legal... rifle

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide