Page 1 of 2 1 2
Passing on Legal Bucks #5465115 12/08/14 06:28 PM
B
Bobvilla Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
B
New to deer hunting and where I hunt has the antler restriction. I've done a lot of research prior to hunting on how to age a deer on the hoof, good deer management skills, etc. However as I'm sitting in the blind watching awesome/legal (yet a little young) 8 pointers (and even a 10 point last weekend) walk by and me passing on them I got to thinking.....am I crazy? I'm hunting on a 50 acre tract with low fences (I'm the only hunter)......I'm torn between the logic of "well at least I'm doing my part" to "why should I pass on these bucks when chances are the guy next door will shoot them?"....

I'm leaning towards I still stand by my original decision to do "my part" but would like some feed back from the more experienced folks...am I crazy?

Re: Passing on Legal Bucks [Re: Bobvilla] #5465129 12/08/14 06:35 PM
BigBucky2014 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
They'll never grow if they are all shot, with that said, you have to know what's out there before you let every deer pass. I'm assuming you have some trail cam pics. I know that some on here would say to let all young deer walk and in the right situation I would tend to agree, however, I've hunted places where I would shoot the first legal deer I see like on public land. I agree with your question, "why should I let it walk to grow up for the guy next door"? On a low fenced 50 ac parcel I would shoot the best legal buck I could shoot regardless of age. Of course, you can always shoot does for meat and not shoot any buck.

In the end, don't feel bad for shooting a deer that you might let walk on a 1000 ac ranch.

Re: Passing on Legal Bucks [Re: Bobvilla] #5465138 12/08/14 06:39 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Chance you gota take if you want them to get older. If they don't fit what you want then that's that. The bucks will thank you cheers

Re: Passing on Legal Bucks [Re: BigBucky2014] #5465144 12/08/14 06:40 PM
T
TXGH Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: BigBucky2014
They'll never grow if they are all shot, with that said, you have to know what's out there before you let every deer pass. I'm assuming you have some trail cam pics. I know that some on here would say to let all young deer walk and in the right situation I would tend to agree, however, I've hunted places where I would shoot the first legal deer I see like on public land. I agree with your question, "why should I let it walk to grow up for the guy next door"? On a low fenced 50 ac parcel I would shoot the best legal buck I could shoot regardless of age. Of course, you can always shoot does for meat and not shoot any buck.

In the end, don't feel bad for shooting a deer that you might let walk on a 1000 ac ranch.

Agreed, On a 50 acre plot your selections will not be that great. Also as mentioned above you should get a trail cam and see what is there. If that's all that's there then you could be passing on the best buck in the area.

Joseph Trousdale
Host Texas Game Hunters TV
TXGameHunters.com

www.TXgamehunters.com
Re: Passing on Legal Bucks [Re: Bobvilla] #5465147 12/08/14 06:41 PM
K
KCH Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
K
"Let them go and they will grow..."

If you plan on hunting the acreage several years from you will see the benefits greatly, espicially if the neighbors don't hunt or pratice game management. The ten will be a beast in several years...

What county if you don't mind me asking?

Last edited by KCH; 12/08/14 06:41 PM. Reason: sp -5
Re: Passing on Legal Bucks [Re: KCH] #5465164 12/08/14 06:47 PM
B
Bobvilla Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
B
goliad

Re: Passing on Legal Bucks [Re: Bobvilla] #5465171 12/08/14 06:48 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
IMO, stick to your program, seems to be your choice and there is nothing wrong with that. You can "what if"
yourself to death for no reason, do what your gut tells you. It is a gamble no matter what you do.

I only hunt 15 acres now, talk about having to make concessions, if it's legal and I like it, I will take it, that simple. Fortunately I have had enough "lessor" bucks in the beginning to take 1 buck a year, like a 5 yo 6 point, so a few culls in there and I get plenty of action. Some years I don't take a buck just the way it is.

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: Passing on Legal Bucks [Re: Bobvilla] #5465196 12/08/14 06:56 PM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms
Your new to deer hunting, I wouldn't get all wrapped up in the management and "what is a trophy" just yet. If that is what you enjoy, then by all means, go for it. I know when I started hunting, a 95" eight pointer was a bonafide trophy and everyone else's opinion be damned.

Go out and enjoy it bud. Plenty of time to worry about management later. Your one deer is not going to make or break the herd, it is just going to stop that one deer from getting older. If you like it, take it up

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Passing on Legal Bucks [Re: Bobvilla] #5465211 12/08/14 07:02 PM
B
banderabound Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
I'm in your exact same situation, however, my plot is right next to a state park. On Friday and Saturday I watched a really nice 8 for a solid hour each day. He's a nice buck and will be super next year. I'll let him live and hopefully he'll make it through the public hunts. If not, I really tried.

Plus, I have a really mature 6 with a really big rack that's a regular visitor. I hope to catch up to him before next month. I saw him last Saturday but he saw me before I saw him and decided he wasn't interested in hanging around.

I also have one picture of a big bruiser of an 8 that I really hope to find. But, most likely, I'll just take a few more does for the meat.

I truly hope it pays off in a couple of years. I'm 100% sure I'll lose some quality deer during the public hunts next door. But that's ok. At least I'm trying.

There's a regular poster here with the signature that says 'If you're worrying about your neighbor killing your deer then you are that neighbor' or something to that effect.

With all of that rambling - put forth an effort to manage your game. It might pay off. If it doesn't, well, you're still in the exact same spot. You have nothing to lose.

Re: Passing on Legal Bucks [Re: txshntr] #5465218 12/08/14 07:04 PM
B
banderabound Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
Originally Posted By: txshntr
Your new to deer hunting, I wouldn't get all wrapped up in the management and "what is a trophy" just yet. If that is what you enjoy, then by all means, go for it. I know when I started hunting, a 95" eight pointer was a bonafide trophy and everyone else's opinion be damned.

Go out and enjoy it bud. Plenty of time to worry about management later. Your one deer is not going to make or break the herd, it is just going to stop that one deer from getting older. If you like it, take it up

This is also true. I grew up hunting in Florida a long time ago. If it had horns, it got shot. You might've sat an entire year or two just to see absolutely nothing. A 1.5 y/o 5-point was an awesome buck.

Re: Passing on Legal Bucks [Re: banderabound] #5465224 12/08/14 07:07 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted By: banderabound

This is also true. I grew up hunting in Florida a long time ago. If it had horns, it got shot. You might've sat an entire year or two just to see absolutely nothing. A 1.5 y/o 5-point was an awesome buck.

Many areas of Texas got close to that, between poor, or no management and kill the hell out of them mentality, then add poaching.

Dennis

Re: Passing on Legal Bucks [Re: txshntr] #5465235 12/08/14 07:14 PM
S
Simple Searcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S

Yup,
We hunted a 100 acre place a few years back. It was surrounded by 20-50 acre places. We let many deer go during archery. On youth weekend it sounded like the battle of the Alamo. It was actually almost scary. We never saw another buck until the next season when the nubbies grew up. And the same thing happened.
Sometimes what you shoot is going to depend on the area you hunt. I hope you have better neighbors than we had.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: Passing on Legal Bucks [Re: Bobvilla] #5465239 12/08/14 07:16 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
AR's to the rescue in that scenario LOL

Dennis

Re: Passing on Legal Bucks [Re: Bobvilla] #5465244 12/08/14 07:18 PM
J
jdwcoupe Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
J
If your the only hunter I don't see any harm in taking one buck that is legal and a trophy to you. The area I hunt is the same and seeing deer over 4yo or a 130" is very rare. I have a few trophies on the wall so I pass on anything less.

Re: Passing on Legal Bucks [Re: Bobvilla] #5465245 12/08/14 07:18 PM
B
BradyBuck Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
In theory it's best to not shoot the young bucks and let them get older then you'll be able to harvest one of those deer when they are mature. The problem is in certain areas those deer will never make it past 4.5 years old. We've hunted a small property between Brady and Llano for over 20 years and in that time there has never been a buck shot off of it that score over 110. I've seen two bucks on camera that would break 120. We have taken 2 bucks off the property in the last 10 years. We also let a relative's young boy shoot his first buck. I now just go down there to shoot a doe or let a friend shoot a doe.

If it was my only option still I would probably shoot a young buck off of it.

Last edited by BradyBuck; 12/08/14 07:31 PM.

HRCH Washita's Kimber Locked N Loaded
GRHRCH Firefly's Rally The Troops MH
Re: Passing on Legal Bucks [Re: Bobvilla] #5465267 12/08/14 07:31 PM
M
Mr. T. Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
This may sound rude, but please understand that it is not meant to be. If you need to kill a buck to enjoy your hunting season, then by all means do so. If you don't need a kill to have fun out in the field then let them grow for one more year.
I also hunt on a small place, 54 acres and passed on this buck for the last two years. Everyday when he would jump the fence to my neighbor's place i would just say a little prayer that he would make it through the season. this year I took him. Now, it gave me something to brag about, but I had just as much fun being out there the previous two years when I did not harvest a buck at all. To be fair with you, I'm 65 and have killed a lot of bucks in my lifetime, so the killing is no longer the reason I go deer hunting.
place i would just say a little prayer that he would make it through the season. this year I took him. Now, it gave me something to brag about, but I had just as much fun being out there the previous two years when I did not harvest a buck at all.

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: Passing on Legal Bucks [Re: Bobvilla] #5465306 12/08/14 07:49 PM
R
rattler03 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
As others have said, if its a buck you're going to happy with and proud of then take him. If not, then let him go and hopefully he'll make it to next year. I've been hunting for a while and have taken a few nice bucks, and I'm just not interesting in shooting a buck that is less than 4.5 years old. I'm ok not taking a buck every year, as long as I can get a doe for the freezer.

I wouldn't shoot a buck that you know you should pass just because you think your neighbor is going to shoot him. I think that quote from someone's signature line that was mentioned above sums up this situation very well, "If you shoot a young buck because you're afraid your neighbor will, then you are that neighbor."

Re: Passing on Legal Bucks [Re: Bobvilla] #5465321 12/08/14 07:55 PM
K
KCH Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
K
Goliad County has some good genetics...I believe it was one of the original AR county's in Texas...to me deer hunting is about the experience...I recently purchased 55 acres and this is the first deer season on it. I had seen some legal bucks before this weekend but nothing I would shoot. Saturday morning I saw a 140 class buck running all out on a doe...I couldn't get him to stop but I think I will treasure the memory just as much as if I shot him. If he makes another mistake I will try to take him.

That being said, if the deer is legal and you have a clean shot harvest the animal. Enjoy the holiday season and keep us posted if you harvest a buck! Welcome to the Deer club!

Originally Posted By: gasman777
goliad

Re: Passing on Legal Bucks [Re: Simple Searcher] #5465394 12/08/14 08:42 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
Originally Posted By: Simple Searcher

Yup,
We hunted a 100 acre place a few years back. It was surrounded by 20-50 acre places. We let many deer go during archery. On youth weekend it sounded like the battle of the Alamo. It was actually almost scary. We never saw another buck until the next season when the nubbies grew up. And the same thing happened.
Sometimes what you shoot is going to depend on the area you hunt. I hope you have better neighbors than we had.

I'm more comfortable letting 4yo deer walk than good looking 2yo bucks. The 2yos "legal" bucks are dumb by age, I have faith the older ones can be more crafty in eluding other hunters.

Re: Passing on Legal Bucks [Re: Bobvilla] #5465463 12/08/14 09:14 PM
G
Grosvenor Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
G
Stay the course. For me, dealing with the regret of letting something walk that maybe I should have shot is a lot easier than dealing with the regret of shooting something that I know I should have let walk.

I think there's another member on here that can tell you what happens when you use up your one and only buck tag in Goliad County bolt

Re: Passing on Legal Bucks [Re: Grosvenor] #5465590 12/08/14 10:06 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Grosvenor
Stay the course. For me, dealing with the regret of letting something walk that maybe I should have shot is a lot easier than dealing with the regret of shooting something that I know I should have let walk.

What he said.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Passing on Legal Bucks [Re: Bobvilla] #5465606 12/08/14 10:14 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
One thing is for sure-if you harvest him now, you can't harvest him later when he's bigger.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Passing on Legal Bucks [Re: txshntr] #5465700 12/08/14 11:13 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N

+1. This "management" craze has got a lot of new hunters overthinking stuff and missing out on a lot of fun IMO.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Passing on Legal Bucks [Re: Navasot] #5465887 12/09/14 01:03 AM
P
Pitchfork Predator Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted By: Navasot
Chance you gota take if you want them to get older. If they don't fit what you want then that's that. The bucks will thank you cheers

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Unless you will have "fun" shooting the young bucks. If so,

rifle

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Passing on Legal Bucks [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5465894 12/09/14 01:09 AM
T
TFF Caribou Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

+1. This "management" craze has got a lot of new hunters overthinking stuff and missing out on a lot of fun IMO.

Yep. I live by a pretty simple rule.

"If you like him, shoot him"

The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference. -George Washington
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide