475556 Topics
6238485 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#5465115 - 12/08/14 12:28 PM Passing on Legal Bucks
gasman777 Offline
Light Foot

New to deer hunting and where I hunt has the antler restriction. I've done a lot of research prior to hunting on how to age a deer on the hoof, good deer management skills, etc. However as I'm sitting in the blind watching awesome/legal (yet a little young) 8 pointers (and even a 10 point last weekend) walk by and me passing on them I got to thinking.....am I crazy? I'm hunting on a 50 acre tract with low fences (I'm the only hunter)......I'm torn between the logic of "well at least I'm doing my part" to "why should I pass on these bucks when chances are the guy next door will shoot them?"....

I'm leaning towards I still stand by my original decision to do "my part" but would like some feed back from the more experienced folks...am I crazy?

#5465129 - 12/08/14 12:35 PM Re: Passing on Legal Bucks [Re: gasman777]
BigBucky2014 Offline
Woodsman

Loc: Cypress, TX
They'll never grow if they are all shot, with that said, you have to know what's out there before you let every deer pass. I'm assuming you have some trail cam pics. I know that some on here would say to let all young deer walk and in the right situation I would tend to agree, however, I've hunted places where I would shoot the first legal deer I see like on public land. I agree with your question, "why should I let it walk to grow up for the guy next door"? On a low fenced 50 ac parcel I would shoot the best legal buck I could shoot regardless of age. Of course, you can always shoot does for meat and not shoot any buck.

In the end, don't feel bad for shooting a deer that you might let walk on a 1000 ac ranch.

#5465138 - 12/08/14 12:39 PM Re: Passing on Legal Bucks [Re: gasman777]
Navasot Online   content
Natty Love

Loc: Normangee/Navasota TX
Chance you gota take if you want them to get older. If they don't fit what you want then that's that. The bucks will thank you cheers

http://www.j5tractors.com/

#5465144 - 12/08/14 12:40 PM Re: Passing on Legal Bucks [Re: BigBucky2014]
jtprocaddie Offline
Tracker

Loc: Houston, Texas
Originally Posted By: BigBucky2014
They'll never grow if they are all shot, with that said, you have to know what's out there before you let every deer pass. I'm assuming you have some trail cam pics. I know that some on here would say to let all young deer walk and in the right situation I would tend to agree, however, I've hunted places where I would shoot the first legal deer I see like on public land. I agree with your question, "why should I let it walk to grow up for the guy next door"? On a low fenced 50 ac parcel I would shoot the best legal buck I could shoot regardless of age. Of course, you can always shoot does for meat and not shoot any buck.

In the end, don't feel bad for shooting a deer that you might let walk on a 1000 ac ranch.

Agreed, On a 50 acre plot your selections will not be that great. Also as mentioned above you should get a trail cam and see what is there. If that's all that's there then you could be passing on the best buck in the area.

#5465147 - 12/08/14 12:41 PM Re: Passing on Legal Bucks [Re: gasman777]
KCH Offline
Bird Dog

Loc: Frisco, TX
"Let them go and they will grow..."

If you plan on hunting the acreage several years from you will see the benefits greatly, espicially if the neighbors don't hunt or pratice game management. The ten will be a beast in several years...

What county if you don't mind me asking?

Edited by KCH (12/08/14 12:41 PM)
Edit Reason: sp -5

#5465164 - 12/08/14 12:47 PM Re: Passing on Legal Bucks [Re: KCH]
gasman777 Offline
Light Foot

goliad

#5465171 - 12/08/14 12:48 PM Re: Passing on Legal Bucks [Re: gasman777]
Western Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Wise County Texas
IMO, stick to your program, seems to be your choice and there is nothing wrong with that. You can "what if"
yourself to death for no reason, do what your gut tells you. It is a gamble no matter what you do.

I only hunt 15 acres now, talk about having to make concessions, if it's legal and I like it, I will take it, that simple. Fortunately I have had enough "lessor" bucks in the beginning to take 1 buck a year, like a 5 yo 6 point, so a few culls in there and I get plenty of action. Some years I don't take a buck just the way it is.

The first 5 day's after the weekend, are the hardest....

Dennis

#5465196 - 12/08/14 12:56 PM Re: Passing on Legal Bucks [Re: gasman777]
txshntr Online   content
T-Rex Arms

Loc: Mansfield, Texas
Your new to deer hunting, I wouldn't get all wrapped up in the management and "what is a trophy" just yet. If that is what you enjoy, then by all means, go for it. I know when I started hunting, a 95" eight pointer was a bonafide trophy and everyone else's opinion be damned.

Go out and enjoy it bud. Plenty of time to worry about management later. Your one deer is not going to make or break the herd, it is just going to stop that one deer from getting older. If you like it, take it up

#5465211 - 12/08/14 01:02 PM Re: Passing on Legal Bucks [Re: gasman777]
banderabound Online   content
Bird Dog

Loc: Bandera, TX
I'm in your exact same situation, however, my plot is right next to a state park. On Friday and Saturday I watched a really nice 8 for a solid hour each day. He's a nice buck and will be super next year. I'll let him live and hopefully he'll make it through the public hunts. If not, I really tried.

Plus, I have a really mature 6 with a really big rack that's a regular visitor. I hope to catch up to him before next month. I saw him last Saturday but he saw me before I saw him and decided he wasn't interested in hanging around.

I also have one picture of a big bruiser of an 8 that I really hope to find. But, most likely, I'll just take a few more does for the meat.

I truly hope it pays off in a couple of years. I'm 100% sure I'll lose some quality deer during the public hunts next door. But that's ok. At least I'm trying.

There's a regular poster here with the signature that says 'If you're worrying about your neighbor killing your deer then you are that neighbor' or something to that effect.

With all of that rambling - put forth an effort to manage your game. It might pay off. If it doesn't, well, you're still in the exact same spot. You have nothing to lose.

#5465218 - 12/08/14 01:04 PM Re: Passing on Legal Bucks [Re: txshntr]
banderabound Online   content
Bird Dog

Loc: Bandera, TX
Originally Posted By: txshntr
Your new to deer hunting, I wouldn't get all wrapped up in the management and "what is a trophy" just yet. If that is what you enjoy, then by all means, go for it. I know when I started hunting, a 95" eight pointer was a bonafide trophy and everyone else's opinion be damned.

Go out and enjoy it bud. Plenty of time to worry about management later. Your one deer is not going to make or break the herd, it is just going to stop that one deer from getting older. If you like it, take it up

This is also true. I grew up hunting in Florida a long time ago. If it had horns, it got shot. You might've sat an entire year or two just to see absolutely nothing. A 1.5 y/o 5-point was an awesome buck.

#5465224 - 12/08/14 01:07 PM Re: Passing on Legal Bucks [Re: banderabound]
Western Offline
THF Celebrity

Originally Posted By: banderabound

This is also true. I grew up hunting in Florida a long time ago. If it had horns, it got shot. You might've sat an entire year or two just to see absolutely nothing. A 1.5 y/o 5-point was an awesome buck.

Many areas of Texas got close to that, between poor, or no management and kill the hell out of them mentality, then add poaching.

Dennis

#5465235 - 12/08/14 01:14 PM Re: Passing on Legal Bucks [Re: txshntr]
Simple Searcher Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Helotes, Hext

Yup,
We hunted a 100 acre place a few years back. It was surrounded by 20-50 acre places. We let many deer go during archery. On youth weekend it sounded like the battle of the Alamo. It was actually almost scary. We never saw another buck until the next season when the nubbies grew up. And the same thing happened.
Sometimes what you shoot is going to depend on the area you hunt. I hope you have better neighbors than we had.

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark

#5465239 - 12/08/14 01:16 PM Re: Passing on Legal Bucks [Re: gasman777]
Western Offline
THF Celebrity

AR's to the rescue in that scenario LOL

Dennis

#5465244 - 12/08/14 01:18 PM Re: Passing on Legal Bucks [Re: gasman777]
jdwcoupe Offline
Light Foot

Loc: Lavaca county
If your the only hunter I don't see any harm in taking one buck that is legal and a trophy to you. The area I hunt is the same and seeing deer over 4yo or a 130" is very rare. I have a few trophies on the wall so I pass on anything less.

#5465245 - 12/08/14 01:18 PM Re: Passing on Legal Bucks [Re: gasman777]
BradyBuck Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Abilene, TX
In theory it's best to not shoot the young bucks and let them get older then you'll be able to harvest one of those deer when they are mature. The problem is in certain areas those deer will never make it past 4.5 years old. We've hunted a small property between Brady and Llano for over 20 years and in that time there has never been a buck shot off of it that score over 110. I've seen two bucks on camera that would break 120. We have taken 2 bucks off the property in the last 10 years. We also let a relative's young boy shoot his first buck. I now just go down there to shoot a doe or let a friend shoot a doe.

If it was my only option still I would probably shoot a young buck off of it.

Edited by BradyBuck (12/08/14 01:31 PM)

32 - BWT
11 - GWT
2 - Black Bellied Whistlers
10 - Gaddies
1 - Mallard
1 - Pintail

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide