Print Thread
Traveling with firearms #5454134 12/02/14 07:43 PM
H
HuntCrafted Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
H
Not sure where this fits but I'm taking a trip to Maryland and have scheduled to get in some duck/goose hunting. I haven't traveled w/my gear or guns before. Flying Southwest and have reviewed their policy. Flying from Austin to Reagan National and back.

My guess is that it would be best to get a hard-sided suite case, break-down my shotgun and have it locked inside my checked luggage? Any tips/suggestions/etc?

Re: Traveling with firearms [Re: HuntCrafted] #5454237 12/02/14 08:35 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
It will have to be in a separate, lockable case, by itself. Regular keyed locks are fine, TSA locks are not required. They have you go with an airline agent and/or TSA personnel and they'll probably just swab the case without opening it. They used to have you open it, but they haven't the last few times I've travelled. It you're taking shells, they should be in a small, lockable case and that can go in your other checked luggage bag. I would just buy shells in Maryland (if they don't have some goofy ammo law that won't let an out of stater buy or something of that nature.)

Get there early.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Traveling with firearms [Re: HuntCrafted] #5454279 12/02/14 09:00 PM
H
HMK Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Wear clean underwear, they are gonna use a probe. rofl

back when we used to eat housecats we marinated them in louisiana hot sauce and soy sauce then season them with lemon pepper........then onto the grill slow cooking them 3 hours........excellent folded in tortillas and pico de gallo----Newgulf
Re: Traveling with firearms [Re: HuntCrafted] #5454326 12/02/14 09:26 PM
H
HuntCrafted Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
H
Interesting from the SWA site...

"A firearm in a hard-sided, locked container may be placed inside a soft-sided, unlocked suitcase."

"A firearm placed inside a hard-sided, locked suitcase does not have to be encased in a container manufactured for the transportation of firearms."

So if I get a hard-sided suitcase that works too.. might only be for SWA however...

Re: Traveling with firearms [Re: HuntCrafted] #5454374 12/02/14 09:57 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Makes me like SWA even more. But I don't think they mean you can break down your scatter gun and just put it in with all the other things in your hard suitcase. If you live in Austin, I'd go by in advance and ask during their off hours (mid-day).

I'm sure you'll get there one way or another. Hope you have a great time. I've thought about east-coast winter water fowling. I haven't hunted waterfowl that much, but it sure is darn fun (when I'm "on").

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Traveling with firearms [Re: HuntCrafted] #5454381 12/02/14 09:59 PM
H
HuntCrafted Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
H
yeah - that makes sense. I was thinking more if I could fit a case inside of a case but that's what I get for thinking.

This will be my first trip out that way - seems like a lot of outfits offering goose hunts. And I just figured out how to cook a freakin'duck!

Re: Traveling with firearms [Re: HuntCrafted] #5454402 12/02/14 10:07 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I did a duck/goose hunt in Alberta a year ago. It was a blast. 'Figured out how to cook the ducks fairly quick. Those darn geese are another matter. Great fun to shoot, but I don't believe I'd go to the trouble of carting any home ever again. The ones they shoot all day long by Houston I hear are inedible. (Snows??)

Re: Traveling with firearms [Re: HuntCrafted] #5454412 12/02/14 10:10 PM
H
HuntCrafted Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
H
yeah my plan was if I shot any geese (Canadian snow I think?) I would cook them up at the place I'm staying in MD. They aren't super close friends so if I give everyone food poisoning and don't get invited back no big loss...

Re: Traveling with firearms [Re: HuntCrafted] #5454843 12/03/14 01:20 AM
C
Cool Mo D Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Be prepared to go thru diff hoops at diff airports. loco

Re: Traveling with firearms [Re: HuntCrafted] #5454858 12/03/14 01:24 AM
T
Tim9880 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
With southwest you can actually have a hard sided, locking case that is a regular suitcase and just put the gun in there with clothes around it. The locks can not be TSA. Only you can have the lock. If you had a big square pelican case, you could break down your gun, surround it with your clothes, and lock it all up together. They will have you open it to be inspected and place the signed "unloaded firearm" card in it though. And dont forget to check it and let them know its there.

Re: Traveling with firearms [Re: HuntCrafted] #5455600 12/03/14 02:28 PM
T
Texan Til I Die Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Just a thought, but isn't Reagan National located in DC? And don't they have some ridiculous firearm regs like mandatory registration? I suggest looking into that aspect too. I can just see you walking out of the baggage claim area with a gun case and immediately getting pounced on by a local cop.

Silver spurs and gold tequila
keep me hanging on.
Pretty girls and old cantinas
give me shelter from the storm.
Re: Traveling with firearms [Re: HuntCrafted] #5456269 12/03/14 07:07 PM
H
HuntCrafted Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
H
Yeah - I double checked that - Reagan National is in Arlington, VA. So I "should" be ok there. And per the NRA site traveling through DC...

Needless to say I'm taking my cheaper shotgun.

"WASHINGTON, D.C.—Use extreme caution when traveling through Washington, DC with a firearm. The certificate requirement for possession of firearms and ammunition does not apply to nonresidents who are “participating in any lawful recreational firearm-related activity within the District, or on [their] way to or from such activity in another jurisdiction.” To qualify for this exception, a person must, upon demand of a law enforcement officer, “exhibit proof that he is on his way to or from such activity” and that the person’s possession of the firearm is lawful in the person’s place of residence. The person must also be transporting the firearm from a place where the person may lawfully possess and carry it to another place where the person may lawfully possess and carry it, the firearm must be unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition may be readily or directly accessible from the automobile’s passenger compartment, or if the vehicle does not have a separate trunk, the firearm or ammunition must be kept in a locked container."

Re: Traveling with firearms [Re: HuntCrafted] #5460338 12/06/14 01:00 AM
J
jefeh Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
Have you thought about mailing it to yourself at the address you'll be staying? I've had friends from out of state do that when they come hunting here rather than deal with the flying regs, and it has been cheaper than the fee of a checked bag.

Re: Traveling with firearms [Re: HuntCrafted] #5460574 12/06/14 03:18 AM
R
r_u_sharp_2 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R
most airlines allow a lockable case inside another piece of luggage. I have flown with pistols a few times and have always placed the case in a larger suitcase. never an issue.

I would look up the rules of Maryland as well. Maybe call the outfitter if you are using one.

Re: Traveling with firearms [Re: HuntCrafted] #5460805 12/06/14 11:28 AM
S
Savage388 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: reeltrek
Interesting from the SWA site...

"A firearm in a hard-sided, locked container may be placed inside a soft-sided, unlocked suitcase."

"A firearm placed inside a hard-sided, locked suitcase does not have to be encased in a container manufactured for the transportation of firearms."

So if I get a hard-sided suitcase that works too.. might only be for SWA however...

That is exactly what I did with my pistol. Pelican case in soft side luggage. The TSA will put some sort of "red tag" on it. Put it in the luggage (not carry on)and send it on it's way. You have a lot better chance of not loosing your gun like that.

ODERINT DUM METUANT
Re: Traveling with firearms [Re: HuntCrafted] #5464963 12/08/14 05:13 PM
U
UNBwoodsmen Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
U
I work for an airline and travel around hunting couple times a year. The firearm needs to be in a lockable hard sided case that once locked someone can not pry open to get the gun out, some of the plastic ones are not suitable. You can have other items in there, when I go I usually pack in my ammo and knives and other stuff like that. Would recommend binos or other high value to go in your carry on. When you get to the airport and are checking your bag you need to declare that you have a firearm. They will send you to a TSA rep to have it personally searched instead of going down with regular bags.

For the ammo it needs to be in the original manufactuer package or in a package specially for ammo. the reloading plastic cases are acceptable. Not in a clip or plastic bag or they will keep it. Depending on the airline you may be able to take upto 50lbs of ammo with you.

usually the airline you will have a FAQ section on their website for travelling with firearms.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide