Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Do You Own A Remington Rifle? [Re: redchevy] #5464804 12/08/14 03:53 PM
T
TonyinVA Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: redchevy
My family owns a mess of rem 700's from the last 30-40 years. Out of all of them there have been two firing malfunctions. One fired when the safety was taken off (yes the trigger was WORKED on before it happened and replaced with something aftermarket afterwards) The other was the firing pen spring got gunked up with old grease that shouldn't have been there in the first place and would keep it from firing when you pulled the trigger and then at some later time when the grease turned loose it would fire.

Mine are all factory triggers and when this all started happening/coming out about the discharging I took them all outside loaded them pointed in a safe direction and tried to get them to fire some way other than safety off and pulling the trigger and none of them would.

redchevy,
Do the triggers on your 700's have ribs? If they do they are not part of the recall.

Re: Do You Own A Remington Rifle? [Re: NORML as can be] #5465081 12/08/14 06:14 PM
S
Simple Searcher Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
I just spoke to Remington, I have two 700s that are recalled bang
They said I will receive a box in about a week, with a UPS pickup tag in it (they pay all shipping).
They said to remove all accessories (scope, sling, etc.).
Turn around is 4-6 weeks.
Now I will have re-sight them bang
This sucks.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: Do You Own A Remington Rifle? [Re: NORML as can be] #5465278 12/08/14 07:36 PM
MDMORROW Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Anybody have any info on whether or not they'll really reimburse you if you replaced your x-mark with an aftermarket trigger?

[Linked Image]
Re: Do You Own A Remington Rifle? [Re: NORML as can be] #5465584 12/08/14 10:04 PM
R
Revoman Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
Just a few, bought some more during WM sale not in the pic. They have either Jewell , Shilen or Timney triggers.

Call'm an Kill'm
Re: Do You Own A Remington Rifle? [Re: TonyinVA] #5465799 12/09/14 12:18 AM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: TonyinVA
Do the triggers on your 700's have ribs? If they do they are not part of the recall.

I'm good. A ribbed trigger on my 700 ADL purchased in the late 80's.

Thanks!

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Do You Own A Remington Rifle? [Re: TonyinVA] #5465909 12/09/14 01:16 AM
R
RiverRider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Kind of answered my own question..ribbed trigger is good..smooth trigger is part of the recall.. so that is what to look for

PRODUCTS: Remington Arms Company, LLC (“Remington”) is voluntarily recalling Remington Model 700™ and Model Seven™ rifles with X-Mark Pro® (“XMP®”) triggers, manufactured from May 1, 2006 to April 9, 2014.

DESCRIPTION OF THE HAZARD: Remington has determined that some Model 700 and Model Seven rifles with XMP triggers could, under certain circumstances, unintentionally discharge. A Remington investigation has determined that some XMP triggers might have excess bonding agent used in the assembly process. While Remington has the utmost confidence in the design of the XMP trigger, it is undertaking this recall in the interest of consumer safety to remove any potential excess bonding agent applied in the assembly process.

HOW TO DETERMINE IF YOUR RIFLE IS SUBJECT TO THE RECALL: Only Model 700 and Model Seven rifles with XMP triggers are being recalled. To determine if your rifle is subject to this recall, you should take the following steps:

I. Find the rifle’s serial number where the barrel meets the receiver.
a. For a right-handed rifle, the serial number is located on a user’s left.
b. For a left-handed rifle, the serial number is located on a user’s right.

II. Identify the serial number and provide it to Remington’s recall support team, either by entering it at xmprecall.remington.com or call 1-800-243-9700 (Prompt #3 then Prompt #1) Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. EDT. You will be informed if your rifle is affected by this recall and supported with free resources to return the rifle for inspection and specialized cleaning.

III. You may also determine if your rifle is subject to the recall by a visual inspection.
1) If the face of the trigger is ribbed your rifle does not have an XMP trigger and is NOT subject to this recall.
2) If the face of the trigger is smooth your rifle has an XMP trigger and IS subject to this recall – in which case you should immediately seek further assistance at xmprecall.remington.com or by calling 1-800-243-9700 (Prompt #3 then Prompt #1) Monday through Friday, 9a.m. to 5 p.m. EDT.

REMEDY/ACTION TO BE TAKEN: STOP USING YOUR RIFLE. Any unintended discharge has the potential to cause injury or death. Immediately cease use of recalled rifles and return them to Remington free of charge. Rifles will be inspected, specialty cleaned, tested, and returned as soon as possible, at no cost to you. DO NOT attempt to diagnose or repair recalled rifles.

TO PARTICIPATE IN THIS RECALL PROGRAM: For your safety, STOP USING YOUR RIFLE and immediately contact Remington.

This is not applicable to what's being discussed. This is about some of the triggers which came after the Walker trigger, the first of which was the X-Mark (non-adjustable) Pro. Some of the X-Mark Pro Adjustables, a later improved design, were assembled with too much Loctite or some other adhesive and this caused a problem of some kind. The X-Mark Pro Adjustable is a good trigger without design flaws.

This "recall" talk is all about the Walker trigger which is what 700s came with from day one until just a few years ago.

Texas Dan, your rifle DOES have the Walker trigger.

[Linked Image]

"Arguing with you always makes me thirsty."

-Augustus McRae
Re: Do You Own A Remington Rifle? [Re: NORML as can be] #5465947 12/09/14 01:31 AM
T
TonyinVA Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
RiverRider,

I'm confused (and I apologize if I posted any misleading data) because the information I posted was from the Remington Safety Center site ..see link below

http://www.remington.com/pages/news-and-...modelseven.aspx

So this recent announcement has to do with a trigger problem with triggers prior to 2006? So if I have the ribbed trigger I do/may have this problem?

Guess I just need to call Remington with the serial numbers and ask.

Last edited by TonyinVA; 12/09/14 01:34 AM.
Re: Do You Own A Remington Rifle? [Re: NORML as can be] #5465977 12/09/14 01:47 AM
W
Wilhunt Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
I have a 700 30-06 that I bought back in the 70's. It misfired once. you had to take the older 700's off safety to eject a shell from the chamber, that is when mine misfired. Scared the crap out of me but no one was hurt thankfully. Remington paid for the trigger rework.

Re: Do You Own A Remington Rifle? [Re: NORML as can be] #5466033 12/09/14 02:05 AM
F
furfinrfeather Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
F
What I understand is that the recall, if approved by a judge, will apply to ALL model 700 ever made not just the last few years.

Re: Do You Own A Remington Rifle? [Re: NORML as can be] #5466111 12/09/14 02:37 AM
R
RiverRider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Tony, the Walker triggers were ribbed, so if you have a pre-2006 (I think that's the cutoff point) Model 700 you have the Walker trigger. That's the one all the current hoopla in the press is about. You can identify it by taking the stock off and locating three adjustment screws. They cannot be seen when the rifle is assembled.

The X-Mark came in an adjustable and "non-adjustable" version. I have a rifle with a smooth trigger and I KNOW it is an X-Mark Pro adjustable. It was the subject of the recall you've lined to. This trigger has an adjustment screw accessible without disassembling the rifle.

The X-Mark NON-adjustable has never had a recall as far as I know. I could be operating on a bad assumption but I believe the early X-Mark was the non-adjustable and discontinued when the adjustable trigger was introduced. I may have referred to it as "X-Mark Pro" in error. Its proper name may actually be "X-Mark." And now, to tell you the truth, there's an awful lot of confusion out there on the web and this "non-adjustable" CAN be adjusted for pull weight to some extent at least, but I am not sure much else can be done with it. Ernie the Gunsmith offers a spring for it and I am sure it will improve that trigger.

[Linked Image]

-Augustus McRae
Re: Do You Own A Remington Rifle? [Re: NORML as can be] #5466135 12/09/14 02:44 AM
R
RiverRider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Now I see where I've created confusion.

The Walker triggers are ribbed, the X-Marks are smooth and there are two types: adjustable (has an allen screw adjustment on the upper end of the trigger face) and the "non-adjustable" which has NO adjustment screw visible with the rifle assembled.

Geeze.

[Linked Image]

-Augustus McRae
Re: Do You Own A Remington Rifle? [Re: NORML as can be] #5466173 12/09/14 02:57 AM
R
RiverRider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Maybe this will help...

[Linked Image]

-Augustus McRae
Re: Do You Own A Remington Rifle? [Re: NORML as can be] #5466196 12/09/14 03:06 AM
R
RiverRider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Just one more comment and I will STOP...I promise!

I could be mistaken, but I think the X-Mark recall applied only to the externally adjustable triggers. I know Remington says that if it's smooth faced, then it is "subject" to the recall, but I think that means they need to check by serial number to verify. Probably to avoid the confusion created in trying to identify "which X-Mark" trigger.

Imagine that.
rofl

[Linked Image]

-Augustus McRae
Re: Do You Own A Remington Rifle? [Re: RiverRider] #5466345 12/09/14 04:34 AM
Grizz Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: RiverRider
Kind of answered my own question..ribbed trigger is good..smooth trigger is part of the recall.. so that is what to look for

PRODUCTS: Remington Arms Company, LLC (“Remington”) is voluntarily recalling Remington Model 700™ and Model Seven™ rifles with X-Mark Pro® (“XMP®”) triggers, manufactured from May 1, 2006 to April 9, 2014.

DESCRIPTION OF THE HAZARD: Remington has determined that some Model 700 and Model Seven rifles with XMP triggers could, under certain circumstances, unintentionally discharge. A Remington investigation has determined that some XMP triggers might have excess bonding agent used in the assembly process. While Remington has the utmost confidence in the design of the XMP trigger, it is undertaking this recall in the interest of consumer safety to remove any potential excess bonding agent applied in the assembly process.

HOW TO DETERMINE IF YOUR RIFLE IS SUBJECT TO THE RECALL: Only Model 700 and Model Seven rifles with XMP triggers are being recalled. To determine if your rifle is subject to this recall, you should take the following steps:

I. Find the rifle’s serial number where the barrel meets the receiver.
a. For a right-handed rifle, the serial number is located on a user’s left.
b. For a left-handed rifle, the serial number is located on a user’s right.

II. Identify the serial number and provide it to Remington’s recall support team, either by entering it at xmprecall.remington.com or call 1-800-243-9700 (Prompt #3 then Prompt #1) Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. EDT. You will be informed if your rifle is affected by this recall and supported with free resources to return the rifle for inspection and specialized cleaning.

III. You may also determine if your rifle is subject to the recall by a visual inspection.
1) If the face of the trigger is ribbed your rifle does not have an XMP trigger and is NOT subject to this recall.
2) If the face of the trigger is smooth your rifle has an XMP trigger and IS subject to this recall – in which case you should immediately seek further assistance at xmprecall.remington.com or by calling 1-800-243-9700 (Prompt #3 then Prompt #1) Monday through Friday, 9a.m. to 5 p.m. EDT.

REMEDY/ACTION TO BE TAKEN: STOP USING YOUR RIFLE. Any unintended discharge has the potential to cause injury or death. Immediately cease use of recalled rifles and return them to Remington free of charge. Rifles will be inspected, specialty cleaned, tested, and returned as soon as possible, at no cost to you. DO NOT attempt to diagnose or repair recalled rifles.

TO PARTICIPATE IN THIS RECALL PROGRAM: For your safety, STOP USING YOUR RIFLE and immediately contact Remington.

This is not applicable to what's being discussed. This is about some of the triggers which came after the Walker trigger, the first of which was the X-Mark (non-adjustable) Pro. Some of the X-Mark Pro Adjustables, a later improved design, were assembled with too much Loctite or some other adhesive and this caused a problem of some kind. The X-Mark Pro Adjustable is a good trigger without design flaws.

This "recall" talk is all about the Walker trigger which is what 700s came with from day one until just a few years ago.

Texas Dan, your rifle DOES have the Walker trigger.

This is my understanding as well. The actual recall involves the X Mark Pro triggers, the other issue is totally different and is not being called a recall by Remington.

Quote:
"The settlement covers more than a dozen models, specifically the Model 700, Seven, Sportsman 78, 673, 710, 715, 770, 600, 660, XP-100, 721, 722 and 725."

Remington will replace the triggers on all affected guns, and they will also reimburse those who have had their triggers replaced already (within reason I assume). It still has to be approved by the judge.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Re: Do You Own A Remington Rifle? [Re: NORML as can be] #5466582 12/09/14 01:40 PM
S
Simple Searcher Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
I just received my shipping information from Remington.
On the phone they told me 4-6 weeks. The information with the shipping tag is:
"Turnaround time is estimated to be a minimum of twelve weeks from the time the firearm is received."
They are obviously getting flooded with recalls.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: Do You Own A Remington Rifle? [Re: NORML as can be] #5466905 12/09/14 03:38 PM
MDMORROW Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Again, has anyone had any luck getting reimbursed for an aftermarket trigger? I didn't want to wait so I put a timney in mine that still had the factory trigger.

[Linked Image]
Re: Do You Own A Remington Rifle? [Re: NORML as can be] #5467012 12/09/14 04:10 PM
L
landsurveyor Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Buddy of mine had this happen when he was placing the rifle in the corner of his deer stand. Safety on and he had his pointer finger at the muzzle trying to lean it in the corner quietly and the gun fired blowing the end of his finger off. His mistake having his finger over the muzzle but he swears safety was on which I believe. Rem 700 30-06 manufactured in the early 80's

"A hungry dog hunts best." Lee Trevino

www.prospectlandsurveying.com
Re: Do You Own A Remington Rifle? [Re: NORML as can be] #5467932 12/09/14 10:01 PM
S
slimpickens Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
Everything I have read was about walker triggers being under recall and Xmark pro was the fix.

Re: Do You Own A Remington Rifle? [Re: NORML as can be] #5475005 12/14/14 01:36 AM
M
Murphscout Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
There are 2 issues at work here. The xmark trigger recall and the recent leak that Rem will be replacing all triggers. The recall is in full effect and you can check your serial number to see if it aplies to you. The other is recent and not yet been finalized. So no one knows yet about a replacement or reimbursement as its only been a news leak and nothing has officially come from Remington. Although the "leak" says they set aside 29 million dollars for the planned operation. No one yet knows on that till its announced

Last edited by Murphscout; 12/14/14 01:37 AM.
Re: Do You Own A Remington Rifle? [Re: landsurveyor] #5481993 12/17/14 12:59 AM
W
Wilhunt Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Originally Posted By: landsurveyor
Buddy of mine had this happen when he was placing the rifle in the corner of his deer stand. Safety on and he had his pointer finger at the muzzle trying to lean it in the corner quietly and the gun fired blowing the end of his finger off. His mistake having his finger over the muzzle but he swears safety was on which I believe. Rem 700 30-06 manufactured in the early 80's

Yes sir that is what happened on mine as far as misfiring. My older Rem.700's were of the type that you had to take off safety to eject some misfired then.
My new 700 without the ridges on the trigger, was recalled....sent the gun in and repair was made and back to me in 6 weeks. This was 2-3 monthd ago.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide