Pens around feeders is best idea yet!!!

Re: To shoot a cow? [Re: cos] #5461327 12/06/14 07:23 PM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45
Originally Posted By: cos
Pens around feeders is best idea yet!!!
cheers works on hogs & a cow easier ta trap. bail hay, range cubs corn. anchous ta see how they handlle it. flag

i'm postaddic
Re: To shoot a cow? [Re: Gangly] #5461355 12/06/14 07:57 PM
S
Stickchunker Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: Gangly
The lease I am on is approximately 14k acres unfenced and is loaded with wildlife. I'm a meat hunter so it works out well for me as far as deer are concerned. However, I may hunt it 5 days a year because of work and family so the little time I get out there is important for me on a number of levels.

Problem:
There are wild cattle, hogs, a few wild horses, etc on the property that run up and down the river that runs through the property. These animals are feral, have lived there for the past 50 years since the prior owner of the property dissolved all ownership and released EVERYTHING. The cows are a nuisance and have begun tearing down feeders, wrecking food plots, and costing us a lot of money. I have purchased multiple feeders and hunting equipment as a result and its getting very costly very quick.

Last night I went to check on the feeders again and I spooked off 4 wild cows: 1 bull and three heifers from my feeder. They emptied out 300lbs (for a second time), but I managed to salvage the feeder.

I called the Lease Manager and he informed me that they have tried to round them up in the past but the woods/swamp are too thick and the dogs haven't been able to pin them. The LO could care less what happens to them and doesn't mind if we "remove" the cattle from the property as long as we don't leave carcasses laying about.

I'm thinking I could fill up a freezer and then some if I drop one of the older calves, but Im not sure how I feel about shooting a cow. I know it would be good meat, but jeez, its a cow, and there is no way I would be able to quarter and carve it out in the woods and make maximum use of it. I have no way of getting it out of the woods in time to save all the meat, I only have one ice chest and Im an hour away from the house so I know for a fact I wont be able to salvage it all. But man, 30 lbs of filet mignon sure sounds delicious.

So, I'm kind of in a conundrum. Do I:
Shoot a nuisance cow and take what meat I can, then remove the carcass?
Try to scare them off and hope they don't come back?
Do nothing and hope they eventually move off?

What are your thoughts?

Again, I have permission to "remove" them so that's not the issue, the issue is whether or not I should considering a) its a cow, and b) there will be wasted meat.

14k Acres in Montgomery county!?! Please tell me where this is at, i have lived here my entire life, and didn't realize there was a piece of land that big left around here.

But like BOBO and others have said, build you a corral, feed'em up and wait them out, then load them up and haul them out of there. I can get some hands together and help you out for a cut.

In these times , 'I'll keep my God , my freedom , my gun and my money. Anyone that supports this insanity can keep "THE CHANGE".
Re: To shoot a cow? [Re: Stickchunker] #5461377 12/06/14 08:19 PM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45
Originally Posted By: Stickchunker
The lease I am on is approximately 14k acres unfenced and is loaded with wildlife. I'm a meat hunter so it works out well for me as far as deer are concerned. However, I may hunt it 5 days a year because of work and family so the little time I get out there is important for me on a number of levels.

Problem:
There are wild cattle, hogs, a few wild horses, etc on the property that run up and down the river that runs through the property. These animals are feral, have lived there for the past 50 years since the prior owner of the property dissolved all ownership and released EVERYTHING. The cows are a nuisance and have begun tearing down feeders, wrecking food plots, and costing us a lot of money. I have purchased multiple feeders and hunting equipment as a result and its getting very costly very quick.

Last night I went to check on the feeders again and I spooked off 4 wild cows: 1 bull and three heifers from my feeder. They emptied out 300lbs (for a second time), but I managed to salvage the feeder.

I called the Lease Manager and he informed me that they have tried to round them up in the past but the woods/swamp are too thick and the dogs haven't been able to pin them. The LO could care less what happens to them and doesn't mind if we "remove" the cattle from the property as long as we don't leave carcasses laying about.

I'm thinking I could fill up a freezer and then some if I drop one of the older calves, but Im not sure how I feel about shooting a cow. I know it would be good meat, but jeez, its a cow, and there is no way I would be able to quarter and carve it out in the woods and make maximum use of it. I have no way of getting it out of the woods in time to save all the meat, I only have one ice chest and Im an hour away from the house so I know for a fact I wont be able to salvage it all. But man, 30 lbs of filet mignon sure sounds delicious.

What are your thoughts?

Again, I have permission to "remove" them so that's not the issue, the issue is whether or not I should considering a) its a cow, and b) there will be wasted meat.

14k Acres in Montgomery county!?! Please tell me where this is at, i have lived here my entire life, and didn't realize there was a piece of land that big left around here.

But like BOBO and others have said, build you a corral, feed'em up and wait them out, then load them up and haul them out of there. I can get some hands together and help you out for a cut.
scratch k=1,000 right? hate it whin they went metric flag

i'm postaddic
Re: To shoot a cow? [Re: 1860.colt] #5461382 12/06/14 08:24 PM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45
Originally Posted By: colt.45

Problem:

What are your thoughts?

scratch so if i goes ta de lumba store & tells em i wants some kellogs dey gona gives me 1,000 e-logs flag

i'm postaddic
Re: To shoot a cow? [Re: Gangly] #5461383 12/06/14 08:24 PM
M
Mambajeep Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
food rifle

Sometimes chicken, sometimes feathers
Re: To shoot a cow? [Re: Gangly] #5461437 12/06/14 08:54 PM
H
Hunt n Fish Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
I thought you had a problem! loser8

HnF

"Prayer is when you talk to the Lord, Meditation is when you listen to what he says"
Re: To shoot a cow? [Re: 1860.colt] #5461490 12/06/14 09:29 PM
S
swmays Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S

Problem:

What are your thoughts?

scratch so if i goes ta de lumba store & tells em i wants some kellogs dey gona gives me 1,000 e-logs flag

Hey colt.45 - what's the first derivative of wild cow?

Prime Rib

Re: To shoot a cow? [Re: swmays] #5461503 12/06/14 09:40 PM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45
Originally Posted By: swmays

Prime Rib
scratch i'm not good with algebra flag

i'm postaddic
Re: To shoot a cow? [Re: 1860.colt] #5461775 12/07/14 12:53 AM
B
Bullfrog Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B

Prime Rib

roflmao

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by machinist
Man if I knew what Oxner knows I could throw away what I know
Re: To shoot a cow? [Re: 1860.colt] #5461870 12/07/14 02:09 AM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45

Prime Rib
cheers ya one night we was out thar doing some cow tip-in & one gots dis bright i deer ta puts a bra on one. offtopic flag

i'm postaddic
Re: To shoot a cow? [Re: 1860.colt] #5461875 12/07/14 02:16 AM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45

Prime Rib
cheers ya one night we was out thar doing some cow tip-in & one gots dis bright i deer ta puts a bra on one. offtopic flag
scratch twas n me prime back then, broke thee ribs, ya it derivative that cow wild flag

i'm postaddic
Re: To shoot a cow? [Re: 1860.colt] #5461904 12/07/14 02:32 AM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45

Prime Rib
scratch twas n me prime back then, broke thee ribs, ya it derivative that cow wild flag
wife aunt Sue wasn't too far pleased ta see her new fangled bra streached out like that none ether next morning flag

i'm postaddic
Re: To shoot a cow? [Re: Gangly] #5461947 12/07/14 02:54 AM
N
nuprofessor Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
N
Been there, Done that!

I would have no problem taking one of the cows for the meat. If you decide to go that way- let me know. I have a pretty tight work schedule, but could be there ASAP.

CHILDREN ARE OUR FUTURE FOR TOMORROW. INVEST IN TOMORROW BY TAKING A CHILD HUNTING OR FISHING TODAY.
Re: To shoot a cow? [Re: Stickchunker] #5464879 12/08/14 04:30 PM
S
schmellba99 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S

Problem:

What are your thoughts?

Was thinking the same thing - didn't realize there was that much contiguous undeveloped land in Montgomery County that wasn't NF land. My guess is that it is the area just north and slightly west of Humble that has the San Jacinto running through it, and Spring Creek on the southern border. That's about the only area that fits the bill.

I'll help the OP out!

Re: To shoot a cow? [Re: schmellba99] #5465004 12/08/14 05:26 PM
G
Gangly Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
G
Originally Posted By: schmellba99

Problem:

What are your thoughts?

Was thinking the same thing - didn't realize there was that much contiguous undeveloped land in Montgomery County that wasn't NF land. My guess is that it is the area just north and slightly west of Humble that has the San Jacinto running through it, and Spring Creek on the southern border. That's about the only area that fits the bill.

I'll help the OP out!

Yup.

Aaron

Do it right, do it once.
Re: To shoot a cow? [Re: Gangly] #5465031 12/08/14 05:43 PM
S
Stickchunker Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Gotta be around Bender Pasture, and if that's the case, i am pretty sure those are Lee Cattle Company cows!

In these times , 'I'll keep my God , my freedom , my gun and my money. Anyone that supports this insanity can keep "THE CHANGE".
Re: To shoot a cow? [Re: Gangly] #5465096 12/08/14 06:22 PM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Why would you worry about killing deer when you can kill ribeye on the hoof?

Re: To shoot a cow? [Re: Gangly] #5465310 12/08/14 07:51 PM
M
Mr. T. Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
First, I would get the land owners permission "In Writing," that I could remove the cattle and then do as others have suggested and go to local auction and find me some cowboys with a trailer. With the current price of cattle, you would most likely be able to pay for your lease for many years to come if you go 50/50 with the cowboys. Heck, they are even solving you problem so a 40/60 split would be fine for me. As others have stated, killing one cow is not going to help your problem at all.

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: To shoot a cow? [Re: Gangly] #5465332 12/08/14 07:59 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
I don't know whats out there any more than any of the rest of us, but from what I get out of what the op says these are cattle that are "feral" like feral hogs. I doubt your average coral would contain them.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: To shoot a cow? [Re: Gangly] #5466446 12/09/14 06:48 AM
B
BradyBuck Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Shoot em at the feeder, winch em up on a trailer, take em to the butcher.

Get a group together to split the processing.

I'd have no problem dropping a cow.

HRCH Washita's Kimber Locked N Loaded
GRHRCH Firefly's Rally The Troops MH
Re: To shoot a cow? [Re: BradyBuck] #5466512 12/09/14 12:18 PM
R
rarjar Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
Originally Posted By: BradyBuck

Just so you know, you should check with your local processor first. I know from experience that a number of processors will not take cattle for butchering unless they are alive when they arrive. Unless it is some Texas regulation I'm not sure why, especially since they take deer and hogs dead.

Re: To shoot a cow? [Re: Gangly] #5466526 12/09/14 12:47 PM
P
Piper354 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
P
When I lived in Alaska I had to plan on possibly harvesting a 1500 pound bull moose if the chance came. It did not, but people do it all the time many miles from civilization with minimal tools and equiptment.

Beef taste good........

Mike

Re: To shoot a cow? [Re: rarjar] #5466632 12/09/14 02:15 PM
K
KG68 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
Originally Posted By: rarjar
Originally Posted By: BradyBuck

Just so you know, you should check with your local processor first. I know from experience that a number of processors will not take cattle for butchering unless they are alive when they arrive. Unless it is some Texas regulation I'm not sure why, especially since they take deer and hogs dead.

Most are equipped to handle heavy carcasses on the kill floor only and not for handling unloading of dead animals. Deer are lighter and can be handled by employees.

Re: To shoot a cow? [Re: Gangly] #5466944 12/09/14 03:50 PM
M
mooney_ag Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
Here is an idea....

[flash]http://www.youtube.com/embed/lly8BBGidJQ[/flash]

Click the link, I can't figure out how to embed the file here...

Last edited by mooney_ag; 12/09/14 04:01 PM.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide