Forum Stats
60408 Members
45 Forums
475509 Topics
6237907 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#5457744 - 12/04/14 10:59 AM Hand Corning Poll (This cant be the first)
greygooser Offline
Woodsman

I'm sure this has been covered in some detail but i couldn't find an actual poll in the search results. I'd like to know who does it, and when.

Background - I've been hunting 3 years, learning all i can from my FIL who has been hunting many years and then trying to learn from you guys on here. I see many people mention that they hand corn and have good results on here. So far we've only ever really hunted over feeders but i'm really interested in hand corning near the trails within a couple of hundred yards of my feeder. Or should i be doing it somewhere completely different?

Any additional thoughts and comments welcome, Thanks!
Do you hand corn before hunting?
Only one choice allowed

Votes accepted starting: 12/04/14 10:45 AM
View the results of this poll.
How long before hunting do you generally hand corn?
Only one choice allowed

Votes accepted starting: 12/04/14 10:47 AM
Where do you see more deer?
Only one choice allowed

Votes accepted starting: 12/04/14 10:50 AM

#5457762 - 12/04/14 11:22 AM Re: Hand Corning Poll (This cant be the first) [Re: greygooser]
ancuegar Offline
Woodsman

Loc: Katy, TX
i will hand throw corn at a feeder while bowhunting so i decide where i want the deer to stand for the shot. it also helps spread the deer out for a clean shot. i like to throw corn behind clumps of grass or cactus to have the eyes covered when im drawing back. more important in a tripod than a pop up.
for scouting i would dump a bucket of corn at a spot and put a camera on it. found many a big buck like this.

#5457800 - 12/04/14 12:10 PM Re: Hand Corning Poll (This cant be the first) [Re: greygooser]
Creekrunner Online   happy
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Bexar/Gillespie, hunt Terrell
A man that was like an uncle to me taught me to put corn in a clear bottle (like a Corona bottle) and it will keep them under the feeder longer. Throw out the night before. Haven't done it in years, but it does work. Might keep the coons around 'til you can see them, if you're planning a cull on them. I'll pull it back out of my bag of tricks when the grandson gets old enough.

#5457836 - 12/04/14 12:46 PM Re: Hand Corning Poll (This cant be the first) [Re: greygooser]
Stump_jumper Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Rockwall, Tx
We have one blind on our lease with no feeder. When I am down there I will bait by hand. I did not put answers in the poll because the way the questions were worded. I bait this blind by hand both right before hunting and hours before. When I bait hours before I prefer to do it in the middle of the day and no at night. This blind is one of our most consistent blinds for seeing deer. We would probably move a feeder there but it can be a cow hang out. I also like hunting where there is no feeder.

#5457853 - 12/04/14 12:59 PM Re: Hand Corning Poll (This cant be the first) [Re: greygooser]
greygooser Offline
Woodsman

Really appreciate all of the answers and information guys. I know there's a bunch of variables so sorry the questions are a bit vague.

That said, it sounds like a large proportion of you handcorn atleast some of the time.

#5457867 - 12/04/14 01:06 PM Re: Hand Corning Poll (This cant be the first) [Re: greygooser]
ImTheReasonDovesMourn Online   content
Tracker

Loc: Greenville, TX
"Hand corning" sounds too perverted so I just call it "giving the road a corn job"

#5457870 - 12/04/14 01:08 PM Re: Hand Corning Poll (This cant be the first) [Re: greygooser]
sig226fan (Rguns.com) Online   happy
duck & cover

Loc: Hickory Creek, Fannin Co. Texa...
3rd question, at the wheat field edges near my feeder

You have a friend in the gun business!

www.Rguns.com
Vernon Richardson
Richardson's Gun Shop
Hickory Creek Hunting Company
3701 FM 816
Wolfe City, TX 75496
903-496-7747
Email vernon at rguns dot com

#5458434 - 12/04/14 06:59 PM Re: Hand Corning Poll (This cant be the first) [Re: greygooser]
BooneDog Offline
Woodsman

Loc: Argyle,TX
Dove hunter that cracked me up.

I started hand Corning a few years ago for a couple of reasons.

It keeps the little dink young 6pts from playing king of the mountain and chasing everyone off. Because the deer are spread out.

Keeps the ladies around longer to bring in the bucks to check things out. Because the first 4 deer that show up at dawn can not vacumn all the corn up before 7am.

When I take my daughters they are entertained by deer in front of us longer and more time for them to make a shot. I will corn a path closer to the stand for the kids. Kind of just start at the feeder and make a trail to the stand. Cuts 30-40 yards off their shots as well.

#5458538 - 12/04/14 08:12 PM Re: Hand Corning Poll (This cant be the first) [Re: greygooser]
goodoboy Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Midland Tx.

This buck will not come to a feeder. For the past 2 years I have not gotten one picture of him under a feeder. Throw some corn out away from the feeder 100-200yards (in the brush) and he will show up. He drives me crazy! But atleast I have him somewhat figured out.

#5458585 - 12/04/14 08:30 PM Re: Hand Corning Poll (This cant be the first) [Re: ImTheReasonDovesMourn]
Mickey Moose Offline
Veteran Tracker

Originally Posted By: ImTheReasonDovesMourn
"Hand corning" sounds too perverted so I just call it "giving the road a corn job"

Made me spew some cocktail on my display and keyboard.

* In search of 1 or 2 person lease, 3 hours from DFW, Please PM me

#5458592 - 12/04/14 08:36 PM Re: Hand Corning Poll (This cant be the first) [Re: greygooser]
slimpickens Offline
Bird Dog

Loc: San Angelo Tx
I hand corn to get the feeder shy deer to come in or in in case a bunch of young bucks keep does ran off from feeder. Paid off big today. I threw corn out last night before hunt and this morning and was able to get a bunch of does in and big boy followed. Did same thing last year and was able to take a decent buck.

#5458606 - 12/04/14 08:43 PM Re: Hand Corning Poll (This cant be the first) [Re: greygooser]
dlrz71 Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Arlington, Tx/Coke Cnty
In my area of the lease I have to walk past one of my feeders down a long cleared roadway through my part of the ranch. I have my blind setup between 2 feeders and I will usually throw corn out as I walk past the first feeder towards my blind.

Other times I will take the ATV or truck and pour corn out on both sides of the blind down the road.

Deer will come to the feeders but once they realize corn elsewhere that is where they go and will return to feeders if they eat all the thrown corn.

#5458671 - 12/04/14 09:07 PM Re: Hand Corning Poll (This cant be the first) [Re: greygooser]
shooterwalter Online   content
Pro Tracker

Loc: Poetry, Texas Kaufman County 8...
I have been hand corning this year after my feeders crapped out and my CEO of Fiance, wife, said no more deer expenses this year. For my location I think it is not the best choice. It seems that the deer come for the most part at night. The two doe taken by bow hunters came before feeder problems and within 20 minutes of the feeder going off. I am convinced they can hear the feeder going and it adds to the attraction. Just MHO

QUAIL Dog Training, Live Quail for sale

Guided/Unguided Quail Hunting

www.TargetCamDallas.com

2,500 yd.Live Video Spotting Camera

Pistol Range - 700 Yard Range

CLOSE TO DALLAS

Take a youth shooting 214-728-2755

#5459005 - 12/04/14 11:29 PM Re: Hand Corning Poll (This cant be the first) [Re: greygooser]
djs303 Offline
Woodsman

Loc: Jackson County
I will start corning an area a couple days before I hunt to get the deer coming to it and corn just before my hunts. I think it draws more deer as they don't tend to fight over the corn as bad as when there is only corn under the feeder. Some of my does can be pretty mean!

#5459028 - 12/05/14 12:03 AM Re: Hand Corning Poll (This cant be the first) [Re: greygooser]
txshntr Online   content
T-Rex Arms

Loc: Mansfield, Texas
I think hand corning...or chuming...is a great tactic to use around a feeder or away from a feeder. In areas that get alot of pressure around the feeders, it works great to go to a travel route between stands and corn a strip. I tend to spread it out to give the deer plenty of room to move around and allows more deer to feed at one time.

Road feeders are a great tool and can help to train the deer to not fear the vehicles.

I won't typically pour corn out directly on top of a trail anymore. Seems to work best just off the trail.

The set up of the stand and the proximity to the bedding area dictates when I will corn. Most of mine, I will corn the night before, but some it doesn't bother me to pour out right before the hunt.

Good luck up

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide