6241967 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#5456380 - 12/03/14 01:57 PM Stingy Neighbor
Novemberyet Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Eastland Co.
I hunt a small farm of 80+ acres and have "neighbors" to the south who lease 500. They live up in the metro mess and usually only one in 4 weekends a year. I made attempts early and often to contact them and was able to meet them once during a hunting season a few years ago. I'll text them if I'm seeing activity along our shared fence-line, crossings, day/night pictures, big bucks, turkeys, ets. I only receive texts from one of the guys and he's always quick to respond. The other guy, not so much.

Last weekend, I get a text from the one I never hear from asking if I knew anybody that had a tracking dog. I got back with him and told I found a local guy who was going to charge him $100 (no find) $200 (find) and would be there in about 15 minutes. (Note: I did not know him personally but found him through other hunters).

Cricket......cricket...... I never heard back from him. I called several times to make sure he had the number and gave his number to the tracker, still never heard back. Every time I called, his son answered and said he was on the phone with his wife. I even offered to get a few hunters to go look for the deer but he "didn't think that was necessary". I sent several texts asking him to make contact with the tracker but never heard anything. Finally, I sent him a message asking him, out of courtesy, to contact the tracker as he was waiting. Never heard from him. I did contact the tracker and apologized for the jerk.....turns out he never even called the tracker himself.

Is it too much to ask to not be a jerk after all I've done is try and help them? He never returns texts/calls until he needs something in a frenzy. And when I actually ce through and try to help him, he punks out.

Any who.....neighbor rant over.

#5456426 - 12/03/14 02:14 PM Re: Stingy Neighbor [Re: Novemberyet]
Branden Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Aledo, Tx
Sounds to me I would let him go about his owen buisness and find out his owen info if he needs it. Sounds like he doesnt need your help after all. Just deal with the good guy.

#5456431 - 12/03/14 02:16 PM Re: Stingy Neighbor [Re: Novemberyet]
txshntr Online   content
T-Rex Arms

Loc: Mansfield, Texas
Some folks are just sorry...and selfish. Good on ya for trying to help up

Did you try to call the other guy? The one that responds?

#5456457 - 12/03/14 02:27 PM Re: Stingy Neighbor [Re: txshntr]
THF Trophy Hunter

Originally Posted By: txshntr

Yes. He still got back with me and we exchange text a few times a week. (Just rcvd a text from him now)

I think I'll just concentrate on the good guy.

He said they didn't use the help bc any guests had to sign a waiver....but I would have too. Just hit me funny that he didn't use the help that was offered.

#5456463 - 12/03/14 02:29 PM Re: Stingy Neighbor [Re: Novemberyet]
txshntr Online   content
T-Rex Arms

Loc: Mansfield, Texas
Originally Posted By: Novemberyet
Originally Posted By: txshntr

Yes. He still got back with me and we exchange text a few times a week. (Just rcvd a text from him now)

I think I'll just concentrate on the good guy.

He said they didn't use the help bc any guests had to sign a waiver....but I would have too. Just hit me funny that he didn't use the help that was offered.

Then why ask for the help if you aren't going to use it? Or at least tell you that he couldn't use the help after all...

That kind of stuff bothers me. I am one that is willing to help with whatever I can and will jump for just about anyone. But if I get a call, I expect my help to be needed so I don't waste my time. Problem is that I will call in favors for others and hate to waste them on a dimwit like that.

#5456481 - 12/03/14 02:37 PM Re: Stingy Neighbor [Re: txshntr]
Hookem79 Offline
Light Foot

Loc: Ray Roberts
"That kind of stuff bothers me. I am one that is willing to help with whatever I can and will jump for just about anyone. But if I get a call, I expect my help to be needed so I don't waste my time. Problem is that I will call in favors for others and hate to waste them on a dimwit like that."

I couldn't agree more with this statement. I have problems with calling in favors for people that always seem to come back and bite me in the butt....
"Everything is possible for he who believes." Mark 9:23

#5456498 - 12/03/14 02:43 PM Re: Stingy Neighbor [Re: Novemberyet]
jim1961 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Richmond, Texas
Sounds like a jerk off anyway. I hate that you have neighbors like that

#5456517 - 12/03/14 02:51 PM Re: Stingy Neighbor [Re: Novemberyet]
Duck chaser Offline
Woodsman

Yeah I don't mess with people like that I wouldn't bother with him.

#5456518 - 12/03/14 02:51 PM Re: Stingy Neighbor [Re: Novemberyet]
THF Trophy Hunter

The excuse was that any visitor would have to sign a waiver.....but how could I be any different? I know it sounds petty but I make an effort to know my hunting neighbors whether they like it or not. I probably share too much in tactics but any success out here is welcomed.

If the roles were reversed, I'd take any help that was offered, especially if I asked for it.

#5456689 - 12/03/14 04:13 PM Re: Stingy Neighbor [Re: Novemberyet]
S.A. hunter Online   content
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Buda Texas
The fences are there for a reason.

#5456748 - 12/03/14 04:49 PM Re: Stingy Neighbor [Re: Novemberyet]
Grosvenor Online   content
Pro Tracker

Loc: Portland, Texas
I'm not sure I understand the problem. Why was it so important that he call you back after you passed along the contact info? I would spend anymore time worrying about it.

#5456804 - 12/03/14 05:17 PM Re: Stingy Neighbor [Re: Novemberyet]
Nathan at Fork Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Emory, TX
Sounds like you want to be overly involved with the neighbors. Personally, I wouldn't want to be constantly involved with the neighbors, hearing from them all the time and getting a bunch of texts. If I were to ask if someone knew someone with a tracking dog, Id expect them to pass along info if they have it and Id either call that person or not. Im friendly with my neighbors, if they need something, they can get ahold of me and if I need something, I know they will help. But a constant bombardment of texts and etc is not wanted on either side. That's just how I am though.

#5456809 - 12/03/14 05:18 PM Re: Stingy Neighbor [Re: Grosvenor]
Western Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Wise County Texas
Originally Posted By: Grosvenor
I'm not sure I understand the problem. Why was it so important that he call you back after you passed along the contact info? I would spend anymore time worrying about it.

X's 2? And how does that make the neighbor "stingy"?

The first 5 day's after the weekend, are the hardest....

Dennis

#5456831 - 12/03/14 05:29 PM Re: Stingy Neighbor [Re: Novemberyet]
THF Trophy Hunter

Originally Posted By: Western
Originally Posted By: Grosvenor

X's 2? And how does that make the neighbor "stingy"?

He didn't call anybody. He asked for help and after several phone calls and rounding up a tracker (which he asked) he didn't use any of the help that was offered nor call the tracker for a "thanks anyway". I know it isn't much but I went out of my way to help. It looks bad on me that I had a deer to be tracked and asked for help from the tracker (who was ready to go) but the requested help was refused from the neighbor.

I'm not trying to be involved, he involved me.

I'm not losing any sleep over it, just between neighboring hunters, my expectations were higher.

As for being stingy, he didn't want anybody on the land, he just wanted to use a dog.

#5456844 - 12/03/14 05:36 PM Re: Stingy Neighbor [Re: Novemberyet]
Nogalus Prairie Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Corsicana
It has taken me awhile to compile the list but there are just certain people who only call when they want something for nothing. That's the ONLY time you ever hear from them. There is a stack of pink phone message deals in my office about 2 inches high covering about 5 years in my office from those folks' calls.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide