Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Life Saving Hunting App #5452580 12/02/14 01:04 AM
7ARanch Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
The recent posting of various accidents got me to thinking about an App my family and I recently bought. It is a mobile medical history app. It allows you to put in all the things an EMT would need to make an informed on the spot decision about how to care for you. I initially got it because I travel a lot for work but then I started thinking about it and realized the whole family needs this or something like it.
This allows you to put in only the stuff an EMT would need, like blood type, medications, allergies etc. along with emergency contact info. They also have a cards and other stuff an EMT can scan if you are unconscious. It's also cheap insurance, the app and the cards are about 7.50.
I'm impressed enough that I may try to moonlight for these guys since they are looking for reps. The website is a little clunky to use since you sign up and then buy what they call medical devices. Those are the cards and other devices that an EMT can scan or punch in to his phone etc. The website is www.GGEMER.com.

Destroyer 340; Easton Flatline; Grim Reapers
Not as Mean Not as Lean but still a Marine

Billy Bob: My nose is dripping on my balls...
Re: Life Saving Hunting App [Re: 7ARanch] #5452743 12/02/14 02:10 AM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
I am sorry, but I am rather lost here. You are talking about having an app on your phone that the EMTs can scan, assuming they have the technology and know to do this, so that they can have your medical information that is stored on some cloud somewhere?

Whatever happened to just carrying a piece of paper in your wallet with that information?

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Life Saving Hunting App [Re: 7ARanch] #5452922 12/02/14 03:29 AM
7ARanch Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
Do you, do all your kids, how about elderly parents? It's not that you can't but most people don't. I think this has more application than a piece of paper, especially for those of us that are a little longer in the tooth or that have children. We tend to be on a variety of meds, have "conditions" etc. It gives us a list of current meds we can use for regular Dr visits. What if your kids get hurt playing sports and you are not there? What if your divorced and the other spouse has all that info. You might have it at hand but most of us don't. The info is resident on your phone the scan capable card is for when you can't give them the info for some reason. I just thought it was a good idea taking advantage of technology to help keep you safe in a medical emergency. My neighbor is a Paramedic he thinks it is great, it would make his job easier and his treatment more effective. Besides if I wrote down everything that has happened to me that an EMT might need to be aware of it would look like a grocery receipt for a family of 10.

Destroyer 340; Easton Flatline; Grim Reapers
Not as Mean Not as Lean but still a Marine

Billy Bob: My nose is dripping on my balls...
Re: Life Saving Hunting App [Re: 7ARanch] #5457534 12/04/14 07:29 AM
T
Toxarch Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
My phone requires a code to unlock it. I don't think an EMT has that code. How are they supposed to get to the app in an emergency? Why not just get a MedicAlert bracelet? The EMT is just there to stabilize you and get you to the hospital. They don't have time to review your medical history.

It is far more important to be able to hit the target than it is to haggle over who makes a weapon or who pulls a trigger.

� Dwight D. Eisenhower
Re: Life Saving Hunting App [Re: 7ARanch] #5458576 12/05/14 02:26 AM
M
Mickey Moose Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Generally speaking I like the spirit of the idea though, as Toxarch said, my phones are locked. I have other concerns as well but none would come into play since I wouldn't use it due to the previous lock point.

My botnet is bigger than yours.
Re: Life Saving Hunting App [Re: 7ARanch] #5459234 12/05/14 02:14 PM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Quote:
Do you, do all your kids, how about elderly parents? It's not that you can't but most people don't. I think this has more application than a piece of paper, especially for those of us that are a little longer in the tooth or that have children. We tend to be on a variety of meds, have "conditions" etc. It gives us a list of current meds we can use for regular Dr visits. What if your kids get hurt playing sports and you are not there? What if your divorced and the other spouse has all that info. You might have it at hand but most of us don't. The info is resident on your phone the scan capable card is for when you can't give them the info for some reason. I just thought it was a good idea taking advantage of technology to help keep you safe in a medical emergency. My neighbor is a Paramedic he thinks it is great, it would make his job easier and his treatment more effective. Besides if I wrote down everything that has happened to me that an EMT might need to be aware of it would look like a grocery receipt for a family of 10.

Aside from the fear mongering and Sally Struthers "do it for the children" sales approach, again, let us get back to infrastructure, shall we. You billed this as something to save a hunter's life. Great. Most people hunt in rural areas, many of which are serviced by volunteer fire departments. So I asked the Fire Chief of my local department about cell phones. They don't regularly check cell phones for data. They have no reason to, he told me.

So it all comes down to a scan "card" you say? That holds the QR scan code.

I took some time to look up G&G Emergency Medical Solutions. Interesting company. They have a web presence but no physical address that I can find. So it is basically a garage company.

On the FB page, I found part of how this technology works.

Quote:
We have been asked if it is possible to have the APP accessed from the LOCK SCREEN of a mobile device - PHONE or PAD. This would be needed for anyone that LOCKS their pphne.The answer is YES -
Here's how:
1: When you get your ID Card - take your mobile device and take a photo of the ID Card
2: Under your SETTINGS, touch the WALLPAPERS and BRIGHTNESS ICON
3: Touch CHOOSE A NEW WALLPAPER
4:Call up CAMERA ROLL
5:Find the PHOTO of the ID Card you just took
6: CENTER AND SET THEN SAVE TO LOCK SCREEN.
Close out then re-open - the Lock Screen should now show the ID Card and the QR CODE. The First Responder can SCAN the QR Code on the lock screen and immediately gain access to your records.
If you are having trouble with this or anything else on the APP or either websites, WE NEED TO KNOW - please contact us at info@ggemt.com - We will respond within 24 hours

So basically, your QR code is on permanent display if somebody tries to access your phone. That isn't an app to save your life. What G&G is selling is a cloud service to store your information and personal QR code for you to manually take a picture of and put on your phone, along with a couple of wallet cards with your QR code. Oh, and the big thing they are selling is a medical piece of mind.

What keeps the information safe? Why can't I scan your code with my phone and access the information?

I am sure Gene and Georgia Popik are nice people (G&G) there in Trophy Club (this info coming from the G&G FB page and then looking at Gene's FB page), but sorely missing from their spiel is the medical side infrastructure of how this process works, how a person's personal medical information is safeguarded on their cloud, etc. Sure, it is only $2, but I am having trouble where seeing that even if totally free, that this setup would be safe and worthwhile.

I think the medical piece of mind they are hoping to give to customers for the $2 is likely misplaced given concerns on personal security of private information and the fact that critical folks such as fire rescue aren't even apt to check such things.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Life Saving Hunting App [Re: 7ARanch] #5459451 12/05/14 03:59 PM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45
it just for hunters confused2 they have bracelets & such. can see were it would be useful. on my app it says: in case of emergncy please dial 1. for english press 2. a represenative will be with U soon then it plays violin flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Life Saving Hunting App [Re: 7ARanch] #5460393 12/06/14 01:40 AM
M
Mickey Moose Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
HIPAA.

My botnet is bigger than yours.
Re: Life Saving Hunting App [Re: 7ARanch] #5460679 12/06/14 04:27 AM
A
aerangis Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
A
There are significant HIPAA and PII regulatory issues that limit the use of pers medical data. Factor in the time constraints of responding to life threatening conditions, I doubt if an EMT or first responder is going to check someones phone data before touching the patient?

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide