Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: The Lion thread [Re: 7mag] #5452755 12/02/14 02:16 AM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
That post reminds me of a well-done lowrider - kind of over the top, but ya gotta appreciate the work put into it. grin

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: The Lion thread [Re: Creekrunner] #5452771 12/02/14 02:25 AM
S
sprigsss Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: Creekrunner
Originally Posted By: sprigsss
and could not bring myself to shoot a zebra.

I said that at one time. Then I tried hunting them. A horse they ain't.

Oh I understand they aren't a horse, but they look too much like a horse for me to shoot one. Couldn't bring myself to kill a tame rabbit either, but if I cross paths with a cotton tail while armed, he's dinner.

Not at all knocking anyone that does hunt them, I just couldn't make myself pull the trigger.

More interested in shooting a 120-130" buck on my lease that I've worked for.

Re: The Lion thread [Re: 7mag] #5452952 12/02/14 03:41 AM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
hmmm... not sure petting zoo lions released to be shot counts as conservation.

Re: The Lion thread [Re: rifleman] #5453034 12/02/14 04:19 AM
L
LuckyHunter Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
L
Originally Posted By: rifleman

hmmmm.... but leaving them in a Zoo to walk in circles the rest of their life is conservation.

Association of Zoo’s and Aquariums; AZA-accredited zoos and aquariums provide society the opportunity to develop unparalleled personal connections with the animals in their care, they also serve as conservation centers that are concerned about ecosystem health, take responsibility for species survival, and make substantial contributions to research, conservation, and education

Reintroduction programs for animals raised or rehabilitated in AZA-accredited zoos or aquariums are powerful mechanisms used for stabilizing, re-establishing, or increasing in situ animal populations. AZA and the International Union for the Conservation of Nature and Natural Resources/Species Survival Commission play key roles in advancing the science of reintroduction programs that AZA and its accredited zoos and aquariums participate in. Numerous reference materials and tools have been developed to advance reintroduction programs

Last edited by SheepHunter; 12/02/14 04:26 AM.
Re: The Lion thread [Re: 7mag] #5453044 12/02/14 04:28 AM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
nope and a terrible attempt to try to twist that.

Re: The Lion thread [Re: 7mag] #5453048 12/02/14 04:30 AM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
They aren't reintroducing anything, they are mismanaging them and giving in to the asinine prices driven by high demand and low amt of animals. I honestly don't care if they go extinct, will have no bearing on my life, but I'm not naïve enough to consider that conservation.

Re: The Lion thread [Re: LuckyHunter] #5453054 12/02/14 04:34 AM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
Originally Posted By: SheepHunter

hmmmm.... but leaving them in a Zoo to walk in circles the rest of their life is conservation.

Association of Zoo’s and Aquariums; AZA-accredited zoos and aquariums provide society the opportunity to develop unparalleled personal connections with the animals in their care, they also serve as conservation centers that are concerned about ecosystem health, take responsibility for species survival, and make substantial contributions to research, conservation, and education

Reintroduction programs for animals raised or rehabilitated in AZA-accredited zoos or aquariums are powerful mechanisms used for stabilizing, re-establishing, or increasing in situ animal populations. AZA and the International Union for the Conservation of Nature and Natural Resources/Species Survival Commission play key roles in advancing the science of reintroduction programs that AZA and its accredited zoos and aquariums participate in. Numerous reference materials and tools have been developed to advance reintroduction programs

Quote:
As the nation's largest and most effective animal protection organization, The Humane Society of the United States has been a leading voice for animals for more than 50 years. We believe in a truly humane society, and work to reduce suffering and create meaningful social change for animals in every way possible -- from providing direct care and response in the field when animals are in crisis, to working with corporate leaders and lawmakers to adopt policies preventing animals from ending up in distress in the first place.

***Apparently they do it more effectively, since that's what it says on the www.

Re: The Lion thread [Re: rifleman] #5453090 12/02/14 04:56 AM
L
LuckyHunter Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
L

Quote:
As the nation's largest and most effective animal protection organization, The Humane Society of the United States has been a leading voice for animals for more than 50 years. We believe in a truly humane society, and work to reduce suffering and create meaningful social change for animals in every way possible -- from providing direct care and response in the field when animals are in crisis, to working with corporate leaders and lawmakers to adopt policies preventing animals from ending up in distress in the first place.

***Apparently they do it more effectively, since that's what it says on the www.

Preach on brother www.rifleman.com

Re: The Lion thread [Re: rifleman] #5453095 12/02/14 05:03 AM
L
LuckyHunter Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
L
nope and a terrible attempt to try to twist that.

Was not attempting to twist anything.

Last edited by SheepHunter; 12/02/14 05:12 AM.
Re: The Lion thread [Re: LuckyHunter] #5453107 12/02/14 05:18 AM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
Hard to believe how many people believe everything they hear or read. Talk about leading a lamb to slaughter. CBS loves you.

Did you hear about Next weeks program on 60 minutes "Children around the world are starving while Texas hunters use corn to bring Bambi within arrow range".

loco

I'm against "canned hunts" It's just I know the difference . I hunted on a 250,000 acre HF ranch in Africa once. Guess to some it was "canned". Crap my professional hunter must have been an idiot because I had to walked and hunted my a$$ off. Never even saw a Lion. Heard some roaring at night though.

That time I went dove hunting in Argentina and our camp was protected by armed guards... I was canned.
An 8x10 cell to a human is canned. 2,000 acres HF is a resort.

There is a middle ground however who decides how much land that is. "The Government" now gentleman the more and more we allow that to happen we are canned.
So you're comparing a 5 acre trap with tame lions to a 250,000 acre ranch in Africa...Nice try. Give the man a ribbon.

Last edited by Erathkid; 12/02/14 05:24 AM.

Life is too short, as is. Don't chance it.
Don't text and drive.
Re: The Lion thread [Re: LuckyHunter] #5453114 12/02/14 05:29 AM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
Originally Posted By: 7mag
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
If y'all want to defend that crap, go ahead. I'm getting older, but I haven't lost all my common sense-yet.

Folks get so rooted in a position they sometimes end up defending the indefensible. That's when our credibility as a whole gets shot.

I'm turning 68 next week and this is just killing me and the Lion's as well. All kidding aside. The reason I had such a big fit was in the manner this is done. Basically the Lion kittens are bred for petting. People pay big bucks to go pet a lion. Lion get's too big and lets sell it to the outfitter to sell to someone for a canned the hunt and pay 100gs. I don't like it, I don't care for it, but that's ME.

I find it most interesting how a few can spin this and attack a few on here over their believes. So much for united as hunters and all that BS, correct? No one ever has to agree on a method of hunt. We seem to have split hairs here and calling each other out is just making it more interesting and degrading for some. I simply stated an opinion. I don't care for hog hunts with dogs either. Doesn't make me a bad person. I just don't see it as sporting for the dog. I hope I cleared that up more then made it worse. This topic is chasing rabbits for sure.

STOP THE PETTING soap Close down the petting zoo. coach Fine the petting zoo for selling Lions. whip Kill (I mean put to sleep) the cubs when they get to big, make coats from their hides for the poor, sell the meat. hanged Send them to your house so you can hand feed. rofl Raise our taxes so the United States can send $100,000,000.00 to feed the lion. flag Maybe a lion retirement center. bolt How about extinction or confinement in a zoo cage.("Look Johnny there's the King of Beast") eeks333 Stop Lion hunting everywhere. violin

Come on let's hear some solutions. PETA has one "Stop Hunting in any form Period"

P.S. Maybe issue a Hunters Trappers license. People shoot coyotes, raccoons, wolves and rabbits in a trap.

popcorn
Sheep hunter, I don't normally say this, but help is available.

Don't text and drive.
Re: The Lion thread [Re: Erathkid] #5453116 12/02/14 05:34 AM
L
LuckyHunter Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
L
Originally Posted By: Erathkid
Hard to believe how many people believe everything they hear or read. Talk about leading a lamb to slaughter. CBS loves you.

Did you hear about Next weeks program on 60 minutes "Children around the world are starving while Texas hunters use corn to bring Bambi within arrow range".

loco

I'm against "canned hunts" It's just I know the difference . I hunted on a 250,000 acre HF ranch in Africa once. Guess to some it was "canned". Crap my professional hunter must have been an idiot because I had to walked and hunted my a$$ off. Never even saw a Lion. Heard some roaring at night though.

That time I went dove hunting in Argentina and our camp was protected by armed guards... I was canned.

There is a middle ground however who decides how much land that is. "The Government" now gentleman the more and more we allow that to happen we are canned.
So you're comparing a 5 acre trap with tame lions to a 250,000 acre ranch in Africa...Nice try. Give the man a ribbon.

5 acre trap?

Re: The Lion thread [Re: 7mag] #5453159 12/02/14 06:50 AM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
Yes. Probably more like 2 acres. You obviously didn't watch 60 minutes...BTW, they were supportive of the Scimitar horned Oryx hunting in order to preserve the species. Lara Logan had a segment a few months ago that portrayed Texas in a good light, as far as wildlife conservation goes. So much for the tree hugger "liberal" image that you portrayed.

Don't text and drive.
Re: The Lion thread [Re: 7mag] #5453161 12/02/14 07:14 AM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
This post has got me thinking about how to make a little extra "walking around" money. I've got two old Border Collies, they're starting to be a pain. Either one, $2000 dollars. Archery or gun, or ball peen hammer to the head while holding out doggie treats. Any takers?...Maybe I should post this in outfitters section? confused2

Don't text and drive.
Re: The Lion thread [Re: 7mag] #5453208 12/02/14 12:05 PM
P
postoak Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
P
One thing I've come to understand about anti-hunters is that it is all emotion for them. They used to oppose sport hunting and wanted all surplus game animals to be killed by professional government hunters. Now, I've noticed that in areas like the U.K. where hunting has declined so much that certain species get out of control and they have government culls, they're opposed to that too!

So, I say screw PETA and all anti-hunters and never try to placate them. And I wouldn't stop any kind of hunting in the belief that it "makes PETA's job easier" because they will always find a way to twist what is actually done so that they can present to the public whatever they want to present.

Re: The Lion thread [Re: 7mag] #5453297 12/02/14 01:27 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Y'all are missing the point-badly. It's not PETA or the anti-hunters who are the issue. Screw them. But it's the non-hunters who will decide the future of hunting. They are the ones watching hunters and forming opinions.

And, like most people, they are pretty disgusted with pen/canned hunting. If we as hunters defend it, we are throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

We can either police ourselves or end up being policed by others.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: The Lion thread [Re: Erathkid] #5453298 12/02/14 01:28 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
This post has got me thinking about how to make a little extra "walking around" money. I've got two old Border Collies, they're starting to be a pain. Either one, $2000 dollars. Archery or gun, or ball peen hammer to the head while holding out doggie treats. Any takers?...Maybe I should post this in outfitters section? confused2

There's some stuff not far from that on there every day.

I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: The Lion thread [Re: Erathkid] #5453314 12/02/14 01:39 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

loco

They ain't turning them loose in a 5 acre trap. Buddy shot one and they had trackers on it for over 50 miles. Those ranches are more like the Wagner or King size

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: The Lion thread [Re: Erathkid] #5453320 12/02/14 01:42 PM
T
Texas Tatonkas Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Yes. Probably more like 2 acres. You obviously didn't watch 60 minutes...BTW, they were supportive of the Scimitar horned Oryx hunting in order to preserve the species. Lara Logan had a segment a few months ago that portrayed Texas in a good light, as far as wildlife conservation goes. So much for the tree hugger "liberal" image that you portrayed.

I don't know what you watched but it never once mentioned the size of the place the hunts took place on. It showed a lion eating a carcass hung in a tree. Again same thing as your corn feeder if 60 minutes decided to take issue with that.

Re: The Lion thread [Re: 7mag] #5453322 12/02/14 01:43 PM
C
changedmyname Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
I don't care what any of you do, but don't call it hunting.

Re: The Lion thread [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5453328 12/02/14 01:46 PM
T
Texas Tatonkas Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T

If there was a market and it was legal you might get takers. But it's not legal and there is no market. If you both hate capitalism, China is one flight away.

Last edited by Texas Tatonkas; 12/02/14 01:46 PM.

Re: The Lion thread [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5453350 12/02/14 01:58 PM
T
Texas Tatonkas Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Y'all are missing the point-badly. It's not PETA or the anti-hunters who are the issue. Screw them. But it's the non-hunters who will decide the future of hunting. They are the ones watching hunters and forming opinions.

And, like most people, they are pretty disgusted with pen/canned hunting. If we as hunters defend it, we are throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

If you try and convince yourself they have more of a problem with canned hunts than they do with hunting over feeders you are either incredibly blinded, or have never been out of texas. Picking and choosing to what's convenient to you and ignoring the truth is a bit North Korean. Kim Jung Un golfed a 34 on 18 holes the first time he played golf.

Re: The Lion thread [Re: Texas Tatonkas] #5453376 12/02/14 02:10 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: Texas Tatonkas

If you try and convince yourself they have more of a problem with canned hunts than they do with hunting over feeders you are either incredibly blinded, or have never been out of texas. Picking and choosing to what's convenient to you and ignoring the truth is a bit North Korean. Kim Jung Un golfed a 34 on 18 holes the first time he played golf.

Are you and therancher one and the same? Just curious.....

Re: The Lion thread [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5453390 12/02/14 02:14 PM
T
Texas Tatonkas Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T

Are you and therancher one and the same? Just curious.....

Ha no, that's offensive. I'm much younger and better looking than him. Typically not as outspoken, but I'll call bs on hypocracy when I see it. It's a character flaw engraved deep in our gene pool.

Re: The Lion thread [Re: Texas Tatonkas] #5453404 12/02/14 02:19 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N

If there was a market and it was legal you might get takers. But it's not legal and there is no market. If you both hate capitalism, China is one flight away.

There is a murder for hire and sex slavery market. But, I guess that OK with you too. After all, it's just capitalism, right?

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide