Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: The Lion thread [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5451522 12/01/14 06:20 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
Simple.

Hunting is different than just killing something.

It's OK to kill something as long as it's legal. Livestock is slaughtered by the thousands every day to meet our food needs.

The issue that many hunters and non-hunters alike have is when just killing something is called hunting. People draw the lines differently, of course. But that is why there is an issue/debate about it.

While i agree partially with what you said I think we all need to realize that we are a super apex predator. We have killed hundreds of species off directly and indirectly. Third world countries(as a whole)only care about themselves surviving... Not the wildlife. Those that do are the ones managing their properties. A lot of them look at cats like we look at yotes.

If it wasn't for captive lion releases and breeding what do you think would happen to the lions of Africa? Maybe the same thing as the scimitar oryx or addax ?

Wait speaking of captive releases and exotics explain why the addax and scimitar aren't extinct?

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: The Lion thread [Re: 7mag] #5451527 12/01/14 06:21 PM
L
landsurveyor Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
popcorn

"A hungry dog hunts best." Lee Trevino

www.prospectlandsurveying.com
Re: The Lion thread [Re: CharlieCTx] #5451537 12/01/14 06:26 PM
7mag Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: CharlieCTx
I watched the 60 minutes piece as well. I think the point they mentioned that is pretty disappointing is the movement of the adult Lions that grew up in the "Petting Farms" to what they call a "canned hunt". There you have a Lion that was raised literally with hands on human contact, now being sold as a trophy hunt.

Don't care how you spin that, there is no way to call that "Sport" or hunting.

Charlie

Kinda my thought process. Btw, I haven't joined PETA , never hunted Africa, I hunt over a feeder in Texas. I have read Field and Stream, Playboy and Attaboy. I never have claimed to know much about African Hunting in general.

I am glad there are so many wise mean to school me and a few others in canned, caged, LF,HF hunting. It is just a formed thought from me and others. Not all of us agree nor should we. But if your crystal ball has all the answers, please tell me when I am going to hit the lotto.

Carry on...........

[Linked Image]
"Laugh with many, but don't trust any"
Re: The Lion thread [Re: BOBO the Clown] #5451550 12/01/14 06:31 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
Simple.

It's OK to kill something as long as it's legal. Livestock is slaughtered by the thousands every day to meet our food needs.

The issue that many hunters and non-hunters alike have is when just killing something is called hunting. People draw the lines differently, of course. But that is why there is an issue/debate about it.

While i agree partially with what you said I think we all need to realize that we are a super apex predator. We have killed hundreds of species off directly and indirectly. Third world countries(as a whole)only care about themselves surviving... Not the wildlife. Those that do are the ones managing their properties

If it wasn't for captive lion releases and breeding what do you think would happen to the lions of Africa? Maybe the same thing as the scimitar oryx or addax ?

Wait speaking of captive releases and exotics explain why the addax and scimitar aren't extinct?

Conservation is fine and laudable. Hunters are and have always been the foremost conservationists.

But that is a different issue. Guy can pay 100K to shoot a pet lion. 100K can go to lion conservation. That doesnt make the "shoot" hunting. And,in a vacuum, the 100K to conservation is a good thing. But, maybe so/maybe no if it generates bad publicity. And, any way you slice it, don't see how anyone can deny raising pet lions for someone to kill and call it "hunting" is a pretty distasteful thing.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: The Lion thread [Re: 7mag] #5451619 12/01/14 06:57 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: 7mag
I am glad there are so many wise mean to school me... please tell me when I am going to hit the lotto.

Carry on...........

Don't play the stupid lotto. bang

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: The Lion thread [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5451622 12/01/14 06:57 PM
T
Texas Tatonkas Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Simple.

While i agree partially with what you said I think we all need to realize that we are a super apex predator. We have killed hundreds of species off directly and indirectly. Third world countries(as a whole)only care about themselves surviving... Not the wildlife. Those that do are the ones managing their properties

Conservation is fine and laudable. Hunters are and have always been the foremost conservationists.

But that is a different issue. Guy can pay 100K to shoot a pet lion. 100K can go to lion conservation. That doesnt make the "shoot" hunting. And,in a vacuum, the 100K to conservation is a good thing. But, maybe so/maybe no if it generates bad publicity. And, any way you slice it, don't see how anyone can deny raising pet lions for someone to kill and call it "hunting" is a pretty distasteful thing.

How is your "shoot" hunting when all you are doing is sitting in a blind overlooking a magical machine at 70 yards that despenses corn at the same time everyday and the animals have it patterened? How was that deer "hunted" and not just "shot"? Many would argue you are shooting your pet deer. I am trying to hear justification, but nobody has offered a legitimate rational for it?

Might want to rethink what you criticize if you value your way of hunting, or all hunting will get a big magnifying glass on it someday and then what?

Last edited by Texas Tatonkas; 12/01/14 06:58 PM.

Re: The Lion thread [Re: 7mag] #5451712 12/01/14 07:25 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
I'm not the one putting the big magnifying glass on hunting. It's the pen/canned shooters doing that. The "60 Minutes" piece wasn't done by hunters.

Problem with calling it all the same is that this actually plays right into the antis hands. So be careful what you wish for. It's not all the same.

P.S. Not that I have anything against feeders, but you don't have a clue how I hunt.

Last edited by Nogalus Prairie; 12/01/14 07:29 PM.

I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: The Lion thread [Re: Texas Tatonkas] #5451741 12/01/14 07:35 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
"Fair Chase" is a phrase that will lead to the destruction of hunting for all. There is no "fair chase" in the human predator's tool box unless we kill only turtles, snails and slugs.

We were equipped by God with a very weak body (in comparison to big game animals), and a pretty sharp mind. That brain is what guaranteed our survival. Using it correctly we become the premier apex predator.

Taking it out and playing with it causes us to lock up on what is "fair" to our prey. We are the only predator with that handicap. And relatively soon we'll be eating what's offered at grocery stores instead of what we used to be able to procure with our strong minds and weak bodies. And that grocery meat will be pretty expensive considering the unchecked numbers of predators standing between the pasture and the meat aisle.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: The Lion thread [Re: 7mag] #5451746 12/01/14 07:36 PM
T
Texas Tatonkas Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
You are right, and as long as you are within the confines of the law - I don't care or offer opinions. Just glad that you do hunt, or "shoot", or harvest, or whatever your legally prefered method is.

Re: The Lion thread [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5451758 12/01/14 07:40 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
I'm not the one putting the big magnifying glass on hunting. It's the pen/canned shooters doing that. The "60 Minutes" piece wasn't done by hunters.

Problem with calling it all the same is that this actually plays right into the antis hands. So be careful what you wish for. It's not all the same.

P.S. Not that I have anything against feeders, but you don't have a clue how I hunt.

Using feeders or not by "approving" them you're conveniently ignoring the fact that there are as many folks who vehemently oppose them in both the hunting and anti hunting world, as oppose hf's.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: The Lion thread [Re: therancher] #5451807 12/01/14 08:15 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: therancher

Using feeders or not by "approving" them you're conveniently ignoring the fact that there are as many folks who vehemently oppose them in both the hunting and anti hunting world, as oppose hf's.

That is simply not true. May make you feel better to say it, but it is not true.

Re: The Lion thread [Re: 7mag] #5452012 12/01/14 09:20 PM
CharlieCTx Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Quote:
How is your "shoot" hunting when all you are doing is sitting in a blind overlooking a magical machine at 70 yards that despenses corn at the same time everyday and the animals have it patterened? How was that deer "hunted" and not just "shot"? Many would argue you are shooting your pet deer. I am trying to hear justification, but nobody has offered a legitimate rational for it?

There were several posts about the difference between what we're discussing and shooting deer over feeders as we're known to do here from time to time...

How many of you could step out of your blind while deer are at your feeder and then have those same deer come to you looking for food or companionship? That's the parallel to the hunting they were describing in the 60 minutes piece.

I have no problem hunting over a feeder, it's simply bait that's automated. But I wouldn't do it with "pet" deer. How many people fish with a bare hook? Snagging doesn't count. smile

Charlie

Re: The Lion thread [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5452064 12/01/14 09:39 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Simple.

Pet is an adjective used to paint a very pointed opinion. How many of those pet lions do you think would really eat out of your hand.

Try to book a archery lion hunt let me know about the red tape and disclaimers and why you have a doubles right behind you

With out hunting value those lions will become texas yotes, thus extinct

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: The Lion thread [Re: CharlieCTx] #5452078 12/01/14 09:45 PM
T
Texas Tatonkas Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: CharlieCTx
Quote:

There were several posts about the difference between what we're discussing and shooting deer over feeders as we're known to do here from time to time...

How many of you could step out of your blind while deer are at your feeder and then have those same deer come to you looking for food or companionship? That's the parallel to the hunting they were describing in the 60 minutes piece.

I have no problem hunting over a feeder, it's simply bait that's automated. But I wouldn't do it with "pet" deer. How many people fish with a bare hook? Snagging doesn't count. smile

Charlie

Thats my point, you have no problem with "your" way....but like to throw stones at other peoples method. Trust me, go tell some bleeding heart animal lover that you hunt over an automated feeder. Try and justify it to them. Then tell them you share their opinion on not hunting lions that used to be at a petting zoo. See if they see the two any differently.....

Last edited by Texas Tatonkas; 12/01/14 09:47 PM.

Re: The Lion thread [Re: 7mag] #5452117 12/01/14 10:00 PM
C
catslayer Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
anybody who thinks a feeder is "magical" and has some pavlovian effect that ALWAYS draws animals in has spent very, very, very little time actually doing the things they are claiming to talk about....

And to play devils advocate. In our current world the only way to get something to continue is for it to have MONITARY value. You can talk about intrinsic value of life all you want. But you want the Lion, elephant, snow leopard, tiger protected. You grow them to a huntible population and then sell very high end hunts. Show the locals the values others put on them for the hunts not for the body parts. then you have a CHANCE at them recovering.

Sombody smells like fried borritos...
Re: The Lion thread [Re: catslayer] #5452190 12/01/14 10:21 PM
T
Texas Tatonkas Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: catslayer
anybody who thinks a feeder is "magical" and has some pavlovian effect that ALWAYS draws animals in has spent very, very, very little time actually doing the things they are claiming to talk about....

So I'd assume by that logic, you have spent quite a bit of time hunting lions, since you are talking about how hunting them in such a way isnt right?

Re: The Lion thread [Re: 7mag] #5452343 12/01/14 11:15 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
If y'all want to defend that crap, go ahead. I'm getting older, but I haven't lost all my common sense-yet.

Folks get so rooted in a position they sometimes end up defending the indefensible. That's when our credibility as a whole gets shot.

Re: The Lion thread [Re: 7mag] #5452380 12/01/14 11:31 PM
C
cmc Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Some of you are forgetting if it's antis you're worried about then you're worrying about the wrong thing. The method of which the animal is killed is not their concern, the fact that you killed it is. They are antis, they don't care if it's a 8 year old adult black maned lion from the wildest pride in Tanzania or a bottle fed two year old with a name, the fact you killed it is the problem. You will not and can not justify what we do to an anti hunter but they use the supposed "canned" methods to sway the non Hunter in their direction while the hunters piss on each others boots about who is right. Talking to an anti Hunter is a waste of your time, talking to a non-hunter is the best way to show the truth before they see 60 Minutes and believe that that's the way it really is.

Re: The Lion thread [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5452504 12/02/14 12:31 AM
7mag Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
If y'all want to defend that crap, go ahead. I'm getting older, but I haven't lost all my common sense-yet.

Folks get so rooted in a position they sometimes end up defending the indefensible. That's when our credibility as a whole gets shot.

I'm turning 68 next week and this is just killing me and the Lion's as well. All kidding aside. The reason I had such a big fit was in the manner this is done. Basically the Lion kittens are bred for petting. People pay big bucks to go pet a lion. Lion get's too big and lets sell it to the outfitter to sell to someone for a canned the hunt and pay 100gs. I don't like it, I don't care for it, but that's ME.

I find it most interesting how a few can spin this and attack a few on here over their believes. So much for united as hunters and all that BS, correct? No one ever has to agree on a method of hunt. We seem to have split hairs here and calling each other out is just making it more interesting and degrading for some. I simply stated an opinion. I don't care for hog hunts with dogs either. Doesn't make me a bad person. I just don't see it as sporting for the dog. I hope I cleared that up more then made it worse. This topic is chasing rabbits for sure.

[Linked Image]
"Laugh with many, but don't trust any"
Re: The Lion thread [Re: 7mag] #5452556 12/02/14 12:52 AM
S
sprigsss Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Just another mans 2 cents worth.

If the lion is bread in an enclosed environment and then turned loose in another enclosed environment, the animal in my opinion is considered livestock. I have no problems with them shooting the said lion. I personally don't consider it sporting or hunting, that does not believe I think its automatically a canned hunt or easy.

Actually I love hunting but there are a few animals I have no desire to kill. I could not shoot a lion, could not shoot an elephant, and could not bring myself to shoot a zebra. I have nothing against those that do. As someone else mentioned if not for their value as "game" the elephants and lions populations would probably be plummeting.

Also like someone else mentioned, why are some animals looked at differently than others? Legally wise, there shouldn't be any distinction. IMO they should all be considered livestock. Trapping wild animals and then shooting in an enclosure would be 100% wrong which is NOT what is happening here.

I'm also one of those guys that hunts over a feeder. Being from Louisiana we never used feeders. Those that tried always had 2 dozen coons waiting in the morning or had bears demolish their feeders within a few days. It was never worth it. But I've learned quickly in West Texas that if you have a small 640 acre lease and hunters on the properties around you are throwing corn, you better throw corn too if you want to see deer. I have yet to see deer come running to the feeder when it goes off.

In fact I've only seen one shooter deer at the feeder this year. He came out at 3:59 and feeder went off at 4:00. Before I could get him in my crosshairs the feeder went off, spooked him, and he took off never to be seen again.

This is my 6th year on the lease. I've yet to shoot a buck under the feeder. I've gotten pictures of shooters at night and have seen them on their trails during the day. But I've pretty much only seen 2 1/2 and 3 1/2 year old deer at the feeder while hunting. I've always caught the older ones sneaking around the feeder or hanging back in the thicket until the sun set.

Last edited by sprigsss; 12/02/14 12:52 AM.
Re: The Lion thread [Re: 7mag] #5452613 12/02/14 01:20 AM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity

This one may go to crap in a hand basket,

Well, at least you're a rather prescient seasoned citizen.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: The Lion thread [Re: sprigsss] #5452629 12/02/14 01:25 AM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: sprigsss
and could not bring myself to shoot a zebra.

I said that at one time. Then I tried hunting them. A horse they ain't.

Re: The Lion thread [Re: Creekrunner] #5452712 12/02/14 01:56 AM
505ed Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Originally Posted By: Creekrunner
Originally Posted By: sprigsss
and could not bring myself to shoot a zebra.

I said that at one time. Then I tried hunting them. A horse they ain't.

I agree your missing out, pretty tasty too!!!

Ed

Re: The Lion thread [Re: 7mag] #5452740 12/02/14 02:09 AM
L
LuckyHunter Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
L

I'm turning 68 next week and this is just killing me and the Lion's as well. All kidding aside. The reason I had such a big fit was in the manner this is done. Basically the Lion kittens are bred for petting. People pay big bucks to go pet a lion. Lion get's too big and lets sell it to the outfitter to sell to someone for a canned the hunt and pay 100gs. I don't like it, I don't care for it, but that's ME.

I find it most interesting how a few can spin this and attack a few on here over their believes. So much for united as hunters and all that BS, correct? No one ever has to agree on a method of hunt. We seem to have split hairs here and calling each other out is just making it more interesting and degrading for some. I simply stated an opinion. I don't care for hog hunts with dogs either. Doesn't make me a bad person. I just don't see it as sporting for the dog. I hope I cleared that up more then made it worse. This topic is chasing rabbits for sure.

STOP THE PETTING soap Close down the petting zoo. coach Fine the petting zoo for selling Lions. whip Kill (I mean put to sleep) the cubs when they get to big, make coats from their hides for the poor, sell the meat. hanged Send them to your house so you can hand feed. rofl Raise our taxes so the United States can send $100,000,000.00 to feed the lion. flag Maybe a lion retirement center. bolt How about extinction or confinement in a zoo cage.("Look Johnny there's the King of Beast") eeks333 Stop Lion hunting everywhere. violin

Come on let's hear some solutions. PETA has one "Stop Hunting in any form Period"

P.S. Maybe issue a Hunters Trappers license. People shoot coyotes, raccoons, wolves and rabbits in a trap.

popcorn

Last edited by SheepHunter; 12/02/14 02:13 AM.
Re: The Lion thread [Re: LuckyHunter] #5452746 12/02/14 02:12 AM
505ed Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Originally Posted By: SheepHunter

STOP THE PETTING soap Close down the petting zoo. coach Fine the petting zoo for selling Lions. whip Kill (I mean put to sleep) the cubs when they get to big, make coats from their hides for the poor, sell the meat. hanged Send them to your house so you can hand feed. rofl Raise our taxes so the United States can send $100,000,000.00 to feed the lion. flag Maybe a lion retirement center. bolt How about extinction or confinement in a zoo cage.("Look Johnny there's the King of Beast") eeks333 Stop Lion hunting everywhere. violin

Come on let's hear some solutions. PETA has one "Stop Hunting Period"

P.S. Maybe issue a Hunters Trappers license. People shoot coyotes, raccoons, wolves and rabbits in a trap.

popcorn

Best post I have read all evening.

Ed

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide