Page 1 of 2 1 2
Amateur hour #5449330 11/30/14 12:42 PM
G
gunnut81 Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
G
It's official I am officially dubbing the weekend after Thanksgiving amateur/idiot weekend! With everybody off this weekend and even more of the wannabe hunters out than normal even more than opening weekend I have seen some rookie moves by people I only see once a year, Since I have already got my buck in Hood co on my property I am hunting on family land in Erath and Palo Pinto counties that I don't have total control of so I have to deal with family and their friends coming out to attempt to hunt even though they don't really know what they're doing. First experience was Friday morning after the morning hunt I ran into two guys who I know are city boys they were standing by my truck so unfortunately I had to talk to them, during the conversation he talked about this "big doe" that he shot at last year which set off an alarm in my head, this place we are on is very short on does we need more and can't afford to shoot any and the doe he is talking about has two fawns which wouldn't have been born had he killed her, it is common knowledge that we don't shoot does on this place (actually on any of our places this year). He told me he saw a cottontail and then he said the dumbest thing, " I was gonna shoot the rabbit but it left".so this city boy was gonna shoot a rabbit while deer hunting on this small place that would have ruined both our hunts and been worthy of a butt kicking. I told my cousin that actually lives out here and is a real hunter what he said and he said "yeah those guys will shoot anything" which is really bad for a property we are trying to manage.
The next situation was later that day on the Fridsy evening hunt on a different property I have a good friend who is blind and I take his 13 year old son hunting since he can't we climbed into the stand around 3:00 and settled in for the evening hunt about two hours later around 5:00 we see four people (dad and 3 boys) walking through the field behind us I know who they are and they do have permission to be there, they were headed to a stand in the back of the property we usually come in the back gate if we're going to that stand and through the front if we're going to the stand I was in but they didn't have a key to that gate so I won't hold that against him. They walked through the field which was no big deal except they didn't walk straight through they kept stopping to look through the scope and turning around like they were walking in circles so what should have been a quick walk to the stand turned into a ten minute ordeal the dad was walking and kept aiming his rifle at things like he was on some kind of combat mission or something, we were sure glad to see them finally make it to their stand. When we left that evening we noticed they were parked right next to my truck so they knew they were walking through our hunting area and they still took forever instead of just going to the stand like a normal person. The third and final situation was yesterday evening my friends son and I left a little early and went to fix a feeder that malfunctioned the day before it was almost 3:00pm when we left that property to hunt my place a few miles away while we were out there a bunch of gunshots started going off very close to us we drove to see what is was and saw two guys in the dry lake bottom and saw two guys in camo firing an Ar15 and a pistol into the lake dam normally I just write this off as rude non hunter target shooters who don't care that they are ruining people's hunts but these guys were in camo and obviously hunters who felt the need to go shooting right at time for the evening hunt to start fortunately we were not planning on hunting that place that evening anyway and went on to my place and hunted the evening while there we heard a lot more target shooting than normal but none of it was too close to us this time. I will sure be glad to see the holiday weekend be over today and the woods be returned to us real hunters.

Endowment Life member NRA
there are a few bad republicans but there are no good democrats
(Ann Coulter)
Re: Amateur hour [Re: gunnut81] #5449335 11/30/14 12:53 PM
D
Dennis in Ft Worth Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Yep, not everybody "gets it" this time of year. Good on you for taking your friends son out--hope he connects-

[Linked Image]
Me and ol' RUGER, 74 years and still shooting.
Re: Amateur hour [Re: gunnut81] #5449363 11/30/14 01:34 PM
W
wp75169 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
W
I'm feeling your pain here. But fortunately I'm on vacation and will be here all week.

Re: Amateur hour [Re: gunnut81] #5449384 11/30/14 01:55 PM
W
wtr Offline
Tracker
Tracker
W
How many people have permission to hunt out there? Seems like a lot.

Re: Amateur hour [Re: gunnut81] #5449412 11/30/14 02:14 PM
A
allterrain Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
A
I normally do not hear many gun shots at my lease except for amature weekend. I have been hearing rapid shots for 2 days. I guess these guys are hunting with ar type rifles and shoot 2,3, or 4 times rapid fire.

Re: Amateur hour [Re: gunnut81] #5449526 11/30/14 03:34 PM
T
to2000 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
Why do people think gun shots in the distance ruins your hunt? Do you not think deer and other wildlife get used to hearing gun shots? Ive shot several deer and the other deer that were in the area just go back to eating or doing whatever they were doing. People/hunters over think the gunshot thing way to much. While predator hunting ive shot a coyote and not 2 min later had another one come running in. Dont let gun shots ruin your hunt. I promise you just bc somebody shoots a gun the deer arnt going to run to the next county.

Re: Amateur hour [Re: gunnut81] #5449547 11/30/14 03:46 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Not everyone that deer hunts, put it in a high category of wanting to learn the nuts and bolts, they just like going out. For some, that is enough. Some want to see what their "cannon" can do rather than hunt. The human activity during prime time, IMO, is worse than the shooting, but in combination will run deer off.

Best thing I could come up with is property rules and guidelines for visitors. Other than that, you can try to tactfully educate them, but if they truly aren't into hunting as you are, could me a moot point. For some a holiday weekend is ,"some shooting, a little hunting" and they go home with a smile and to work with a bunch of stories, don't know if that makes them dumb amateurs, or just different than others?

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: Amateur hour [Re: gunnut81] #5449552 11/30/14 03:50 PM
Cast Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Thank you for using 'moot' instead of 'mute'.

Cast

[Linked Image]

I have a short attention spa
Re: Amateur hour [Re: Cast] #5449555 11/30/14 03:51 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted By: Cast
Thank you for using 'moot' instead of 'mute'.

I have had my am coffee, so should be GTG up

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: Amateur hour [Re: Western] #5449579 11/30/14 04:12 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Western
Not everyone that deer hunts, put it in a high category of wanting to learn the nuts and bolts, they just like going out.

This is true. Some people approach hunting the same way that I and other approach golf. While I have no interest in doing what it takes to become a good golfer, I still enjoy going out with friends and family to hit a few balls. My two SIL's and BIL went out Friday to Top Golf here in Houston and had a blast. Highly recommend it.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Amateur hour [Re: gunnut81] #5449643 11/30/14 05:13 PM
T
TFF Caribou Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
I'm in the same boat with family land. I stayed away this weekend. Im not sure if anybody headed out there or not. Normally only 2 of us hunt out there, but technically about 30 cousins all have "the right" to hunt out there. It's my wife's cousins, and they are all dumb. Didn't want to risk having to deal with any of them who are In from out of town.

The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference. -George Washington
Re: Amateur hour [Re: to2000] #5449669 11/30/14 05:29 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
Originally Posted By: to2000
Why do people think gun shots in the distance ruins your hunt? Do you not think deer and other wildlife get used to hearing gun shots? Ive shot several deer and the other deer that were in the area just go back to eating or doing whatever they were doing. People/hunters over think the gunshot thing way to much. While predator hunting ive shot a coyote and not 2 min later had another one come running in. Dont let gun shots ruin your hunt. I promise you just bc somebody shoots a gun the deer arnt going to run to the next county.
ive seen deer stand around, but I've also seen them hightail it for other parts. Case in point, I was watching 4 does and when somebody on my neighbors place fired about 1000 yards away, the lead doe got skittish and they bugged out even given the distance and all the cover in between.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Amateur hour [Re: gunnut81] #5449721 11/30/14 06:11 PM
C
crooked horn Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
C
I treat Thanksgiving weekend the same as I treat New Years Eve: a good time to stay home. Talked to a local GW once, he told me there are FAR more people in the woods on Thanksgiving than there is on opening weekend, and he dreads it every year.

Thank you...thank you very much
Re: Amateur hour [Re: wtr] #5449727 11/30/14 06:18 PM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: wtr
How many people have permission to hunt out there? Seems like a lot.

up

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Amateur hour [Re: gunnut81] #5449787 11/30/14 07:12 PM
S
S.A. hunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Relax, you sound like a hall monitor. If it bothers you so much skip this week.

Re: Amateur hour [Re: gunnut81] #5449809 11/30/14 07:35 PM
T
txbobcat Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
My neighbors were out in full force. Something like 13 shots out of their stands over the week. (That I heard)

Re: Amateur hour [Re: crooked horn] #5449896 11/30/14 08:56 PM
sig226fan (Rguns.com) Online Happy
duck & cover
Online Happy
duck & cover
Originally Posted By: crooked horn
I treat Thanksgiving weekend the same as I treat New Years Eve: a good time to stay home. Talked to a local GW once, he told me there are FAR more people in the woods on Thanksgiving than there is on opening weekend, and he dreads it every year.

Tuesday morning, I shot a coyote, then had a nice buck walk over him about 15 minutes later, this morning, I shot a pig, and then a doe, in the same spot, about 13 minutes apart...

Re: Amateur hour [Re: Texas Dan] #5450040 11/30/14 10:50 PM
M
mideon2000 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: Texas Dan
Originally Posted By: Western
Not everyone that deer hunts, put it in a high category of wanting to learn the nuts and bolts, they just like going out.

This is true. Some people approach hunting the same way that I and other approach golf. While I have no interest in doing what it takes to become a good golfer, I still enjoy going out with friends and family to hit a few balls. My two SIL's and BIL went out Friday to Top Golf here in Houston and had a blast. Highly recommend it.

People need to realize this. I get people that come out all of the time and are fairly new to the game of golf. We are a municipal course so some people are fairly new to the game. I make these people feel welcome and get them on the course. These people can play at a good pace and keep up with the group in front of them but it never fails that the people behind them complain when they start skulling the ball. The golf Nazis that take it so seriously forget it is just a game and that it is a public course where everyone is welcome as long as you don't damage the course or cause trouble. If they want to play at a place where only serious golfers play, then they need to pony up the cash and join somewhere where they won't have issues with newbies.

Same with hunting. Pony up that cash and get a lease by yourself, but you might still have problems with neighbors. All I know is that if I am being blessed enough to be invited anywhere to hunt i am keeping my mouth shut. The way i see it the other hunters are LO guests and if he doesn't have a problem with it, neither do I (short of really bad illegal activities).

I only lie when I tell the truth.
Re: Amateur hour [Re: gunnut81] #5450160 12/01/14 12:06 AM
F
Fowlman Offline
Tracker
Tracker
F
Think that's bad, try hunting public.

Re: Amateur hour [Re: gunnut81] #5458289 12/04/14 11:31 PM
G
gunnut81 Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
G
The shots were not by any means off in the distance they were within 200yds of my stand fortunately I wasn't hunting that property that day just repairing the feeder, I have my own property 400 acres in Hood Co but I've already got a buck there and I have no interest in burning a buck tag on a spike when I have places in Erath and Palo Pinto that I can still take a good buck. The other two places are family land that my cousin and I hunt and take care of since we are the two serious & experienced in the family so he is the one in charge out there but I own half the stands and feeders and we both work and feed on it year round so I have free reign and full access to do as I please, the shooters are people who rent his old house I told him about the shooting and he told them not to shoot during hunting season so that problem is gone. The hunters are friends of his personally I think he lets too many people hunt but it's not my property so I can't say much about it but he's coming around he often complains about the people who don't want to contribute but want to come hunt so I'm hoping there will be less amateurs out there in the future. As for the ones that are flat out idiots (the rabbit shooter) they are family so we can't kick them off we are trying to educate them about how to hunt right. On Monday he was madder about them than I was he said they asked him to take them to our other place to shoot a doe which is a big no no since they both got their first deer last season our rule is if only people who have never killed a deer can take a doe, then they wanted to take the dogs out and go rabbit hunting to which he told them they would ruin the place for the rest of the season, and last but worst he said one of them took a doe that he didn't tell him about last season, the property it was on has a major shortage of does we literally have about 2 or 3 does left thanks to the poachers to our south, that normally would have gotten someone told to never come back on either of our places but again they're family so not much we can do but educate them on how a real man hunts. Hopefully they will grow up from dumb liberal city boys into real hunters and conservationist but it's a long shot.

Last edited by gunnut81; 12/04/14 11:32 PM.

Endowment Life member NRA
there are a few bad republicans but there are no good democrats
(Ann Coulter)
Re: Amateur hour [Re: gunnut81] #5458322 12/04/14 11:54 PM
S
swmays Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Sounds like the family is enjoying the long weekend on the family land...

Re: Amateur hour [Re: gunnut81] #5458707 12/05/14 03:17 AM
B
banderabound Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
People are hunting. Or just shooting. Or whatever. They're together on Thanksgiving.

What's the reason to complain?

Can we now discuss run-on sentences and punctuation omissions so horrible my eyes are bleeding?

Re: Amateur hour [Re: banderabound] #5458985 12/05/14 04:50 AM
M
MELackey Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: banderabound
Can we now discuss run-on sentences and punctuation omissions so horrible my eyes are bleeding?

Glad it's not just me that is having trouble seeing straight after that...

About the hunting... Don't know what to tell you about the family members not following the rules. Maybe the best way would be to go MLD with permits required for does, then keep the permits locked up. We just keep the friends off our family land for deer hunting. Too much trouble. Invite someone once or twice and then they start calling to "schedule" their hunting trips with you. No thanks.

Re: Amateur hour [Re: to2000] #5459037 12/05/14 06:12 AM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Originally Posted By: to2000

I don't think they are over thought. If I have a big buck frequenting an area, I am not going to go target practice out of that stand and think he will just show up because he is "used to gunshots."

My sister shot a buck over the holiday weekend and I was with her. She was using a high caliber rifle with a muzzle brake, it was loud. One of the guys on the lease is over 1k yards away and it scattered his deer and they didn't return, but within about 3 minutes of us shooting the buck, a doe and fawn came into the same chum pile.

Another time, we were blowing up stuff with tannerite and had a doe feed in the field about 250 yards out. Another time I was dove hunting a pond and had an 8 pointer come down to the water. Another time...

I have also had deer come in directly downwind and not run off, but I still prefer to hunt the wind. Just because there are exceptions, doesn't mean that it is good practice to do certain things.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Amateur hour [Re: MELackey] #5459069 12/05/14 08:30 AM
T
TxDispatcher Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: MELackey
Originally Posted By: banderabound

Glad it's not just me that is having trouble seeing straight after that...

About the hunting... Don't know what to tell you about the family members not following the rules. Maybe the best way would be to go MLD with permits required for does, then keep the permits locked up. We just keep the friends off our family land for deer hunting. Too much trouble. Invite someone once or twice and then they start calling to "schedule" their hunting trips with you. No thanks.

At least you've invited them in the past and that's why they are "scheduling" a hunt. What's worse is when they say "we're gonna go with y'all to your lease and hunt" ummm, no you aren't. I pay good money for my lease, and you could do the same. But you'd rather save up $10k for your annual Las Vegas trip to blow it on gambling. So quit inviting yourself to hunt with me.

Originally Posted by East...
Originally Posted by East...
I will get off in a little bit

You shouldnt have said that
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide