6237575 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#5449330 - 11/30/14 06:42 AM Amateur hour
gunnut81 Offline
Bird Dog

Loc: Lipan TX
It's official I am officially dubbing the weekend after Thanksgiving amateur/idiot weekend! With everybody off this weekend and even more of the wannabe hunters out than normal even more than opening weekend I have seen some rookie moves by people I only see once a year, Since I have already got my buck in Hood co on my property I am hunting on family land in Erath and Palo Pinto counties that I don't have total control of so I have to deal with family and their friends coming out to attempt to hunt even though they don't really know what they're doing. First experience was Friday morning after the morning hunt I ran into two guys who I know are city boys they were standing by my truck so unfortunately I had to talk to them, during the conversation he talked about this "big doe" that he shot at last year which set off an alarm in my head, this place we are on is very short on does we need more and can't afford to shoot any and the doe he is talking about has two fawns which wouldn't have been born had he killed her, it is common knowledge that we don't shoot does on this place (actually on any of our places this year). He told me he saw a cottontail and then he said the dumbest thing, " I was gonna shoot the rabbit but it left".so this city boy was gonna shoot a rabbit while deer hunting on this small place that would have ruined both our hunts and been worthy of a butt kicking. I told my cousin that actually lives out here and is a real hunter what he said and he said "yeah those guys will shoot anything" which is really bad for a property we are trying to manage.
The next situation was later that day on the Fridsy evening hunt on a different property I have a good friend who is blind and I take his 13 year old son hunting since he can't we climbed into the stand around 3:00 and settled in for the evening hunt about two hours later around 5:00 we see four people (dad and 3 boys) walking through the field behind us I know who they are and they do have permission to be there, they were headed to a stand in the back of the property we usually come in the back gate if we're going to that stand and through the front if we're going to the stand I was in but they didn't have a key to that gate so I won't hold that against him. They walked through the field which was no big deal except they didn't walk straight through they kept stopping to look through the scope and turning around like they were walking in circles so what should have been a quick walk to the stand turned into a ten minute ordeal the dad was walking and kept aiming his rifle at things like he was on some kind of combat mission or something, we were sure glad to see them finally make it to their stand. When we left that evening we noticed they were parked right next to my truck so they knew they were walking through our hunting area and they still took forever instead of just going to the stand like a normal person. The third and final situation was yesterday evening my friends son and I left a little early and went to fix a feeder that malfunctioned the day before it was almost 3:00pm when we left that property to hunt my place a few miles away while we were out there a bunch of gunshots started going off very close to us we drove to see what is was and saw two guys in the dry lake bottom and saw two guys in camo firing an Ar15 and a pistol into the lake dam normally I just write this off as rude non hunter target shooters who don't care that they are ruining people's hunts but these guys were in camo and obviously hunters who felt the need to go shooting right at time for the evening hunt to start fortunately we were not planning on hunting that place that evening anyway and went on to my place and hunted the evening while there we heard a lot more target shooting than normal but none of it was too close to us this time. I will sure be glad to see the holiday weekend be over today and the woods be returned to us real hunters.

#5449335 - 11/30/14 06:53 AM Re: Amateur hour [Re: gunnut81]
Dennis in Ft Worth Online   content
Bird Dog

Yep, not everybody "gets it" this time of year. Good on you for taking your friends son out--hope he connects-

#5449363 - 11/30/14 07:34 AM Re: Amateur hour [Re: gunnut81]
wp75169 Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Wills Point
I'm feeling your pain here. But fortunately I'm on vacation and will be here all week.

#5449384 - 11/30/14 07:55 AM Re: Amateur hour [Re: gunnut81]
wtr Online   content
Bird Dog

Loc: West COMMA Texas
How many people have permission to hunt out there? Seems like a lot.

#5449412 - 11/30/14 08:14 AM Re: Amateur hour [Re: gunnut81]
allterrain Offline
Bird Dog

Loc: Arlington Tx
I normally do not hear many gun shots at my lease except for amature weekend. I have been hearing rapid shots for 2 days. I guess these guys are hunting with ar type rifles and shoot 2,3, or 4 times rapid fire.

#5449526 - 11/30/14 09:34 AM Re: Amateur hour [Re: gunnut81]
to2000 Offline
Woodsman

Why do people think gun shots in the distance ruins your hunt? Do you not think deer and other wildlife get used to hearing gun shots? Ive shot several deer and the other deer that were in the area just go back to eating or doing whatever they were doing. People/hunters over think the gunshot thing way to much. While predator hunting ive shot a coyote and not 2 min later had another one come running in. Dont let gun shots ruin your hunt. I promise you just bc somebody shoots a gun the deer arnt going to run to the next county.

#5449547 - 11/30/14 09:46 AM Re: Amateur hour [Re: gunnut81]
Western Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Wise County Texas
Not everyone that deer hunts, put it in a high category of wanting to learn the nuts and bolts, they just like going out. For some, that is enough. Some want to see what their "cannon" can do rather than hunt. The human activity during prime time, IMO, is worse than the shooting, but in combination will run deer off.

Best thing I could come up with is property rules and guidelines for visitors. Other than that, you can try to tactfully educate them, but if they truly aren't into hunting as you are, could me a moot point. For some a holiday weekend is ,"some shooting, a little hunting" and they go home with a smile and to work with a bunch of stories, don't know if that makes them dumb amateurs, or just different than others?

The first 5 day's after the weekend, are the hardest....

Dennis

#5449552 - 11/30/14 09:50 AM Re: Amateur hour [Re: gunnut81]
Cast Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: North Texas - God's Country
Thank you for using 'moot' instead of 'mute'.

I have a short attention spa

#5449555 - 11/30/14 09:51 AM Re: Amateur hour [Re: Cast]
Western Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Wise County Texas
Originally Posted By: Cast
Thank you for using 'moot' instead of 'mute'.

I have had my am coffee, so should be GTG up

The first 5 day's after the weekend, are the hardest....

Dennis

#5449579 - 11/30/14 10:12 AM Re: Amateur hour [Re: Western]
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity

Originally Posted By: Western
Not everyone that deer hunts, put it in a high category of wanting to learn the nuts and bolts, they just like going out.

This is true. Some people approach hunting the same way that I and other approach golf. While I have no interest in doing what it takes to become a good golfer, I still enjoy going out with friends and family to hit a few balls. My two SIL's and BIL went out Friday to Top Golf here in Houston and had a blast. Highly recommend it.

Spring, Texas

#5449643 - 11/30/14 11:13 AM Re: Amateur hour [Re: gunnut81]
Tff caribou Online   content
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Watauga, TX
I'm in the same boat with family land. I stayed away this weekend. Im not sure if anybody headed out there or not. Normally only 2 of us hunt out there, but technically about 30 cousins all have "the right" to hunt out there. It's my wife's cousins, and they are all dumb. Didn't want to risk having to deal with any of them who are In from out of town.

#5449669 - 11/30/14 11:29 AM Re: Amateur hour [Re: to2000]
QuitShootinYoungBucks Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Lubbock, TX
Originally Posted By: to2000
Why do people think gun shots in the distance ruins your hunt? Do you not think deer and other wildlife get used to hearing gun shots? Ive shot several deer and the other deer that were in the area just go back to eating or doing whatever they were doing. People/hunters over think the gunshot thing way to much. While predator hunting ive shot a coyote and not 2 min later had another one come running in. Dont let gun shots ruin your hunt. I promise you just bc somebody shoots a gun the deer arnt going to run to the next county.
ive seen deer stand around, but I've also seen them hightail it for other parts. Case in point, I was watching 4 does and when somebody on my neighbors place fired about 1000 yards away, the lead doe got skittish and they bugged out even given the distance and all the cover in between.

#5449721 - 11/30/14 12:11 PM Re: Amateur hour [Re: gunnut81]
crooked horn Offline
Outdoorsman

Loc: Brown County
I treat Thanksgiving weekend the same as I treat New Years Eve: a good time to stay home. Talked to a local GW once, he told me there are FAR more people in the woods on Thanksgiving than there is on opening weekend, and he dreads it every year.

#5449727 - 11/30/14 12:18 PM Re: Amateur hour [Re: wtr]
dogcatcher Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Abilene or on the road...
Originally Posted By: wtr
How many people have permission to hunt out there? Seems like a lot.

up

_______ Old style calls for today's outdoorsman_________

#5449787 - 11/30/14 01:12 PM Re: Amateur hour [Re: gunnut81]
S.A. hunter Online   content
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Buda Texas
Relax, you sound like a hall monitor. If it bothers you so much skip this week.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide