Print Thread
Rookie Question #5445809 11/27/14 03:38 PM
P
polishpreacher Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
P
I started working on trying to learn how to bow hunt earlier this year. I figured i would not try to take a deer this year and just keep working on fundamentals. While i was practicing with a friend who has been hunting for a while with a bow and done great, he told me i was ready and gave me two broadheads. They were Rage Titaniums 100 grain. My question is, do i just screw them onto the arrow in the locked position and fire them or what do i do with them? I went to a bow shop to even find out what kinds of broadheads they were and within about 5 seconds he got me lost trying to explain something about field points, the Rage broadheads i had and a brand called Hartmens or something like that made up in the Hill Country. Is there anything i need to know about using these broadheads besides not leaving them on the bow when not hunting? Ohh and i am using a Mission Blaze with a 60# draw.

Re: Rookie Question [Re: polishpreacher] #5445832 11/27/14 03:45 PM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms
Field tips are the points the you practice with. No blades, just a tip with a point. Don't shoot an animal with them.

Nothing wrong with Rage. Plenty of people swear by them. You just screw them on the tip in the locked position. When you get to the stand, double check that they are still in the locked position before firing them at an animal. Make sure you understand how to reset the blades before going in the field, in case one snags on something. Depending on your quiver, sometimes the broadheads will disengage when you remove the arrow, so check them again once the arrow is knocked. If the blades are open, the arrow could fly different than they do closed. The Rage should fly the same as your practice tips.

When you decide to shoot a deer, take your time and pick a spot. Don't just aim behind the shoulder. Try to find a muscle line, tuff of hair, something. Pick your spot and follow through the shot.

Enjoy and I should warn you...it gets very addicting up

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Rookie Question [Re: polishpreacher] #5446655 11/28/14 01:54 AM
E
EastTexasHag Offline
Tracker
Tracker
E
Did your friend give you the Rage practice tip?? The Rage broad heads come with a practice tip. It flies just like the broad head and you need to be sure they fly like you field tips. As has been stated, pick a hair to shoot at not just a shoulder.

It's the time spent in God's creation with family and friends making memories that counts.
Re: Rookie Question [Re: polishpreacher] #5446993 11/28/14 02:13 PM
O
okbowhunter Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
O
This would be a good thing to complete www.bowhunter-ed.com/texas

As far as broadheads in my opinion the mechanical broadhead is going to give you one more thing to worry about. You could go with a fixed blade I shoot the 100gr Magnus Stinger BuzzCut (Bass Pro, Gander Mountain, Online...)
You don't have to tune them (aka make sure they are lined up with fletching etc.) just screw it on snug and shoot.

- Practice shooting at least one of them into a broadhead target (not a bag it will tear it up)to make sure it hits where you aim.
- When hunting yes leave them on your arrows
- When climbing into stand, walking etc. of course have them safely in your quiver

Stinger BuzzCut 100gr at Gander Mountain

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide