Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
elk 2014 Colorado DIY public land #5440333 11/24/14 03:35 PM
GotMyTag Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman

My brothers Colorado 2014 Bull.
We received a lead many years ago to go hunt big deer in this remote, desert like area of Colorado. The lead was totally nuts. We found very few deer but spotted a lot of elk. The area does feel like it would be populated with deer. It is all kind of a mystery, we are still unsure of where the elk water. We have to haul the water for our horses.
Even still we try and draw this area as often as possible. Here we can shoot really nice bulls. The tags are getting harder to get though. This year we have a 4th season tag. We have never had a 4th season elk tag before.
Just before the hunt started we heard about the passing of my brother’s, brother in law. We were told the funeral was that coming Saturday, our hunt opened on that Wednesday. Our trip went from a four day hunt to a three day hunt. The season is only five days long total and we had already planned cutting it a day short. We don’t like to hunt on Sunday’s. We want the blessings of the Lord for keeping the Sabbath day holy. This limits the amount of ground we are able to cover, and spots we can scout, but we believe it is worth it.
Opening morning we spotted a solid 7x7 and put him to bed. We had to ride quite a few miles to get to him, there we waited for him to step out of the cedars. He finally showed himself 20 minutes before sundown. With him were two other bulls. Both pretty 6 points, but they just weren’t big enough. This 7x7 looked huge to me, with big backs. After the sixth point the antlers were so long that they curled back in like a half moon. The antlers came to about 18” from tip to tip on its back. My brother disliked it and was debating if he should shoot. We had a very short chance when he was in the clear and away from the other bulls. They move back into a view that is cut off from us by some cedar trees. We began moving closer but got busted by one of the smaller 6’s. We discussed if we would regret not shooting in that one very short window we had.
The next day we tried real hard to find 7x7 again. No luck.
Day three. Our last day of the hunt. We headed to another location that was covered with elk. We first spotted a 6x6 and then a big bull with a club after his two fronts on his left side. Not something my brother wanted to shoot. We decided to head to a different place that night, a place called Richard’s Rock. Just before we got to Richard’s Rock and after a big, long horse ride, my brother spots an elk. We stop, he glasses it and decided he is going to take try and get him.
He really likes wide bulls, the 7x7 was better to me by a long shot, but he is real excited about this bull. Beauty is always in the eye of the beholder. We moved forward until we were 680 yards away. Still too far to shoot. I figured by the time we got to him we would need to be under 100 yards away. There was no other place to see him between where we were and where he was. “Let’s go get him and yes we will be close the next time we have a chance, if we do not spook him.,” my brother said. We planned the stalk and were almost to a small ridge, close to where we thought the bull was eating. We stayed there and caught our breath before moving over the ridge. The wind is still in our favor. That was a blessing.
My brother is a great shot, he hardly every misses. I never ever remember him missing before. Just as we start to come over the ridge we spot the bull. He pulls up and shoots! Nothing. Shoots again. Nothing! He asked me, “Have I hit him?” “No.” He shoots again and there is still no sign of a wound. He started to reload. I began to worry that it would be too late, the bull was going to start running.
Before I knew it the bull takes two steps and falls over, dead as can be. This elk was one tough cookie, 7mm 165 grain bull from 60 yards 3 times in the boiler room. He had hit him perfectly every time. This bull was just big and extra tough. I think he was hitting him just low enough that the ridge blocked my view. I literally had seen no reaction from the Bull. The shots had destroyed the heart and lungs.
We went and got to the horses as we had all the equipment needed there and then went and cleaned and quartered the bull. 15 miles via horse. We have to do this ride all in the dark. The horns are plenty big enough to fit over the packs. In fact too big to fit on Boo, the first horse, but he fit great on Mac; He is a huge horse, a fox trotting, huge horse. I cannot remember shooting a bull that fit over the packs like this in a long time. This is the first elk we have packed out on Mac. He is calm and easy to work with. But he is so tall that lifting the quarters on is hard.
The diamond hitches hold perfectly all the way back. Even when the horns drag as this bull is so tall. Mac is a very tall horse. I am 6’ 3” tall and my eyes are even with his back. I cannot believe the horns dragged the ground a few times on the way out.
Super cold, super fun. We get home at 4 am. Just enough time for my brother to rest a bit before the funeral.
Are we lucky? Maybe. Are we crazy? Maybe. But having these great tags make it possible to go on great, crazy, worthwhile hunts.
Taped out at 340-4/8”, Missing 14+ inches broken off if he matched the other side. 54" main beams.

We use an app called PointHunter to help us apply for these hunts.
Try it out for yourself.
image.png
Watch how it works on youtube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwWaV0trHrw
Download now at
https://www.gotmytag.com/download/BFB

Know your families and friends points including Texas.
1. Application deadline reminders.
2. Be the first to know your draw results
3. Looks up your points

Download at
www.gotmytag.com/download/Best_Hunting_app
Re: elk 2014 Colorado DIY public land [Re: GotMyTag] #5440574 11/24/14 05:43 PM
E
EastTexasHag Offline
Tracker
Tracker
E
Congrats on a nice elk.

It's the time spent in God's creation with family and friends making memories that counts.
Re: elk 2014 Colorado DIY public land [Re: GotMyTag] #5440672 11/24/14 06:34 PM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Congrats.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: elk 2014 Colorado DIY public land [Re: GotMyTag] #5440676 11/24/14 06:35 PM
J
jdk1985 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
congrats. one of these days...

Instagram @justinkingwoodworking
Re: elk 2014 Colorado DIY public land [Re: GotMyTag] #5441166 11/24/14 11:17 PM
C
cujo489 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
C
Awesome Bull!

Re: elk 2014 Colorado DIY public land [Re: GotMyTag] #5441246 11/25/14 12:25 AM
M
Michael W. Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Congrats on a great bull.

A clear conscience is often the sign of a fuzzy memory.
Re: elk 2014 Colorado DIY public land [Re: GotMyTag] #5441335 11/25/14 01:19 AM
T
TxYoteHunter Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Great looking elk. Congratulations.

Re: elk 2014 Colorado DIY public land [Re: Michael W.] #5443970 11/26/14 01:05 PM
billybob Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Great bull and story! I notice you're from Utah...some of the best elk hunting in the nation for a $50 over the counter add on permit to your license. Why Colorado????????

Re: elk 2014 Colorado DIY public land [Re: GotMyTag] #5444032 11/26/14 01:42 PM
D
Deerhunter61 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Congratulations on a great bull!

Re: elk 2014 Colorado DIY public land [Re: billybob] #5466597 12/09/14 01:51 PM
GotMyTag Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
You ask why Colorado? And not just Utah? I like to hunt wherever I can. And Colorado has way more elk than Utah. Not saying I do not love hunting Utah as well. I just like to go when and where I can. I hunt in Many western states. I I really like taking the kids hunting. I hoep htis answers your question.

Know your families and friends points including Texas.
1. Application deadline reminders.
2. Be the first to know your draw results
3. Looks up your points

Download at
www.gotmytag.com/download/Best_Hunting_app
Re: elk 2014 Colorado DIY public land [Re: Deerhunter61] #5466654 12/09/14 02:24 PM
L
landsurveyor Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Originally Posted By: Deerhunter61
Congratulations on a great bull!
up

"A hungry dog hunts best." Lee Trevino

www.prospectlandsurveying.com
Previous Thread