Print Thread
Pump or semi for flooded timber hunt? #5439745 11/24/14 04:07 AM
A
Arbor Guy Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
A
'm Heading to east texas to hunt flooded timber. We will not be in a blind and out always from our boat. Total different hunt than I'm used to. Lots of mud. Is it best to leave the semi at home for this type of hunt?

Re: Pump or semi for flooded timber hunt? [Re: Arbor Guy] #5439750 11/24/14 04:09 AM
J
Jacob645 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
I think you'll be fine.

Re: Pump or semi for flooded timber hunt? [Re: Arbor Guy] #5439753 11/24/14 04:10 AM
T
T Bone Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Leave it in a soft case until you get there..??

Originally Posted by Jungleexplorer
I really hate to do what I am about to do, because it will be very painful for you.

Re: Pump or semi for flooded timber hunt? [Re: Arbor Guy] #5439761 11/24/14 04:14 AM
B
bodydub Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
Which one shoots straighter?.?.?.

Re: Pump or semi for flooded timber hunt? [Re: Arbor Guy] #5439777 11/24/14 04:21 AM
A
Aggieduck Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
A
Semi should be fine. So long as it's reliable on your other hunts

Re: Pump or semi for flooded timber hunt? [Re: Arbor Guy] #5439797 11/24/14 04:29 AM
garrett Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
O/U would be best, very few mechanical failures are even possible. If I'm lucky enough to hunt a good flooded timber hole I wanna know my gun goes boom

Attention rickym, this is not a troll post, just a good hearted fun type of post
Re: Pump or semi for flooded timber hunt? [Re: Arbor Guy] #5439804 11/24/14 04:33 AM
J
Jacob645 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
What are y'all doing to your guns??

Re: Pump or semi for flooded timber hunt? [Re: Arbor Guy] #5439862 11/24/14 04:51 AM
A
Arbor Guy Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
A
Personally I've never had any of my guns fail. I baby them...still hear my pop telling me about mud getting in the barrel and the barrel splitting! I just hear that the conditions I'm heading to are the ones that will gum up and action of you happen to drop the gun. Just curious if anyone has experience with that.

Re: Pump or semi for flooded timber hunt? [Re: Arbor Guy] #5439874 11/24/14 05:08 AM
T
TJ_Hughes21 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
I shoot a nova and dropped it in the water 3 times last season prior to legal shooting time and never once did I have a problem

[Linked Image]
Re: Pump or semi for flooded timber hunt? [Re: Arbor Guy] #5439963 11/24/14 10:38 AM
_
_Scooter_ Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
_
Okay, while either gun would be fine... this is what I choose to do. I own an 835 Ulti-mag and a Maxus. When I kayak hunt, or go on mud slogs that I know are going to be brutal, I tend to leave the Maxus at home. Don't get me wrong, my Maxus handles the dirt and water perfectly fine, but I still choose to use the pump more often than not solely because it was a cheaper gun and if some tragedy would happen- the replacement value is a LOT cheaper.

Both guns perform the same, and I don't think that either one is "tougher" than the other or more or less accurate. I just use the "beater gun" for "beater hunts"

Wasn't born in Texas, but I got there as fast as I could.
Re: Pump or semi for flooded timber hunt? [Re: Jacob645] #5440256 11/24/14 03:02 PM
A
aerangis Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
A
Originally Posted By: Jacob645
What are y'all doing to your guns??

In flooded timber?

....... the short list would be stepping in stump holes, tripping and/or climbing over submerged logs, walking through (relatively) deep water, leaning against a 50 foot tall dead tree while standing in waist deep water and having that tree uproot from the bottom, fall over in an explosion of mud and water (and crapped pants), walking in varying depths of mud, and getting said mud in every possible place in and on a shotgun, equipment, and clothing. I've used and seen shotguns used (unloaded of course) to haul myself and/or extricate hunting partners out of mud in flooded timber, swamps, and flooded bottomland more times than I can remember. If you scout and hunt often enough, it's going to happen.

Flooded timber is great habitat for puddle ducks, but my experience is it can be one of the more challenging ecological niches to hunt. If the area is in a flood plain, creek bottom, or lower basin of a river bottom, it will typically have sediment dams on the lee side of trees, slack water islands containing deep mud, and areas with slow-to-no appreciable water flow heavily silted. Step in a submerged stump hole once occupied by a 200+ year old pecan or bottomland hardwood, you can easily find yourself in water and mud over your head. If it comes down to it, you WILL use your shotgun as a walking stick, lay across it to keep from sinking, or use it in some form or fashion that will fill it with water and mud. I've seen it and done it, numerous times, both while scouting new terrain and while hunting.

To answer your question regarding shotguns, I've hunted flooded timber and bottomland long enough to know what works for me. My first preference is an auto with a long recoil or inertia action such as the new/old A5, Vinci, SBE, M2, Stoeger M3000, etc. The caveat is I've had and have seen numerous issues over the years with mud and water getting into the action and causing problems in auto gas operated shotguns and to a lesser degree, auto inertia and rarely, pump shotguns. These problems in auto's were manifested by FTE, FTF, and/or sluggish performance where the bolt would cycle and eject the spent shotshell but not return to battery. If you're comfortable field stripping a shotgun to clean it if the need arises, stick with an auto.

Second choice would be a pump. Nova, SuperNova, BPS, 870, pick your poison.

Third choice (if there were no other options), sell my gas operated shotgun and get a good intertia action auto. Granted, some folks swear by a gas operated shotgun and that's fine and dandy if you're on an armchair hunt, sitting in a blind or duckboat, or hunt infrequently, but slogging through water and mud with a gas operated shotgun is asking for trouble. I've seen shotguns go tits up many, many times. All kinds, all manufacturers, at all price points. Mud and water being one of the primary causes.

...my $.02

Re: Pump or semi for flooded timber hunt? [Re: Arbor Guy] #5440416 11/24/14 04:09 PM
G
Going Green Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
G
Take care of your guns, they'll take care of you. Nothing wrong with an auto gas gun, the manufacturer just assumes you will actually clean and maintain your firearm at regular intervals. Nothing is fail-proof. Pack them with enough peanut butter and they'll all fail. I love it when waterfowlers say gas guns aren't made for the harsh elements and can't stand up to the "abuse". The AK- regarded as the most reliable gun ever built, is a gas gun. The inertia vs. gas debate seems to continue to limp on, although it should have died with the 1100. I just finished cleaning an M2 for buddy because it was malfunctioning on him. I would promise that it's been less than year since cleaned last and less than 200 shells through it because I'm usually with him most of the hunts it goes on. Given the choice between my old A5, 870, and my Maxus, I'll take the Maxus everytime- not because of how the action is run, but because I like it best and shoot it well. Take whichever gun you like best and put it in a soft floating case to get to your spot, and then hunt. If you go in the drink, the soft case provides alot of extra floatation. Don't over think it. This 2014, theres no need to buy into shotgun marketing from 1970.

Re: Pump or semi for flooded timber hunt? [Re: Arbor Guy] #5440609 11/24/14 06:04 PM
A
aerangis Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
A
When we can hunt ducks with an AK, then AK's will be relevant. Until then, we're stuck with shotguns.

You're right about one thing, the inertia vs gas debate HAS been beaten to death, with the consensus being that gas operated shotguns pale in comparison to inertia shotguns both in reliability and durability. Hence the reason I have yet to hunt with a high volume Argentine dove or NA/SA duck outfitter that uses gas guns exclusively for customer rentals.

Aside from personal experiences, there's a ton of reliable research and online references that have put this issue to rest. Here's one that comes to mind...

http://randywakeman.com/Most_Reliable_Autoloading_Shotgun.htm

Re: Pump or semi for flooded timber hunt? [Re: Arbor Guy] #5440697 11/24/14 06:46 PM
dogcatcher Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
My choice is a pump, plain old Rem 870. We carried them in Vietnam and never had a failure, and the literally went through hell with mud, sand, rain, monsoons, swamps, jungles etc.. up

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Pump or semi for flooded timber hunt? [Re: aerangis] #5440968 11/24/14 09:17 PM
G
Going Green Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
G
Originally Posted By: aerangis
When we can hunt ducks with an AK, then AK's will be relevant. Until then, we're stuck with shotguns.

You can. It's called a Saiga 12. Guys use them for conservation snow goose season. Three round mags seem to be made of unobtanium, so ducks may be challenging, but I suppose it could be done if you plug the mag. http://youtu.be/2iBcX4YiQhM

Originally Posted By: aerangis
You're right about one thing, the inertia vs gas debate HAS been beaten to death, with the consensus being that gas operated shotguns pale in comparison to inertia shotguns both in reliability and durability. Hence the reason I have yet to hunt with a high volume Argentine dove or NA/SA duck outfitter that uses gas guns exclusively for customer rentals.

Aside from personal experiences, there's a ton of reliable research and online references that have put this issue to rest. Here's one that comes to mind...

http://randywakeman.com/Most_Reliable_Autoloading_Shotgun.htm

Speaking of relevancy, when's the last time you took your 20ga montefeltro into the swamp and shot 1200rds of 7/8oz #7 1/2 lead shot at ducks? Now run back to google and find me a recent, scientific study comparing both platforms that supports your claim that gas guns pale in comparison to inertia in terms of both reliability and durability. Opinions of guides on pro-form deals do not scientific method make.

Re: Pump or semi for flooded timber hunt? [Re: Arbor Guy] #5440977 11/24/14 09:22 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Don't care if its a single shot im shootin ducks.. thinking way to hard

Re: Pump or semi for flooded timber hunt? [Re: Arbor Guy] #5441547 11/25/14 02:36 AM
F
Fishuhalik Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
F
If you're shooting a decent modern auto, if you drop it in the mud, all that's needed is a thorough sloshing around in the water you're standing in & you're good to go. Just make sure your barrel & action are clear & shoot away

Cigarettes are like hamsters. Perfectly harmless til you put it in your mouth & light it on fire
Re: Pump or semi for flooded timber hunt? [Re: Arbor Guy] #5441552 11/25/14 02:37 AM
F
Fishuhalik Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
F
Or just buy a sling & use an actual stick as a walking stick instead of your $1600+ shotgun. But that's just my crazy way of thinking

Cigarettes are like hamsters. Perfectly harmless til you put it in your mouth & light it on fire
Re: Pump or semi for flooded timber hunt? [Re: Arbor Guy] #5441572 11/25/14 02:42 AM
C
crapicat Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: Arbor Guy
'm Heading to east texas to hunt flooded timber. We will not be in a blind and out always from our boat. Total different hunt than I'm used to. Lots of mud. Is it best to leave the semi at home for this type of hunt?

Dude, if you got a Benelli...go forth and conquer...just leave the Remington auto at home...dirt/mud makes for a miserable day with a Remmy...I grew up timber hunting in east texas with Remingtons (so I got lots of experience in that department)

Hope this information helps....

Re: Pump or semi for flooded timber hunt? [Re: Arbor Guy] #5442000 11/25/14 07:26 AM
P
pprince Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
P
Ive never had a problem running my automatic in flooded timber.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide