Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Duck advice [Re: Sq2 hunter] #5441978 11/25/14 06:30 AM
_
_Scooter_ Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
_
It obviously looks like you can put plenty of ducks on the water and don't need anyone's help. I cannot help but wonder: why even bother asking? My apologies for offending you, but I guess I misunderstood the questions where you were asking what decoys to use and which areas to concentrate on. I assume with that much duck hunting experience that you'd be at least mildly aware of how they get it done on the gulf. I've never hunted the gulf, but I've read up on it enough to know that you probably need a few pintail and diver dekes, and to set up where the ducks like to be which will require some binocular/spotting scope scouting before you go in there and jump rafts of birds (if they are using that area). I know if I had access to prime real estate like that, it would be fun for me to figure it out on my own and not worry about what somebody else on an internet forum would do. You hunt panhandle ducks... I imagine that some of those same ducks make it down to the coast so you already know what they like. Just find the birds and do what they are doing as far as decoys and calls. It's the same thing wherever you hunt. Wasn't trying to start a peeing contest, just trying to figure out why people ask these sorts of questions and what their expectation is of the fellow forum members when they answer.

Wasn't born in Texas, but I got there as fast as I could.
Re: Duck advice [Re: Sq2 hunter] #5441984 11/25/14 06:48 AM
_
_Scooter_ Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
_
Also, if you have that many dumb ducks and geese working your panhandle property... why would you ever leave??? Good luck brother- no harm intended, just grumpy I guess.

Last edited by _Scooter_; 11/25/14 06:48 AM.

Re: Duck advice [Re: Sq2 hunter] #5442230 11/25/14 02:39 PM
S
schmellba99 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
The type of decoys to use is largely overrated. Most ducks don't care if your decoy is a mallard or a pintail or a teal - they see ducks in an area that is apparently a good feeding area, and that's what they care about. Back in the old days, most decoys were painted straight black - and they worked just as good as the water dipped HD decoys you see today.

The biggest thing is to be where the ducks want to be, and to have a good decoy pattern for the area you are hunting. Most of the coastal ducks land parallel to land, so you need to take that into account with your spread pattern.

Our setup was in a slight cove on the south shoreline, so typically the wind was a crosswind to us. We had the most success with a J-hook or V type pattern, where most of the decoys were concentrated on one side of the cove, but you had a string along the shoreline and some on the back side. This left a landing zone for ducks coming in. We typically wanted the hook side of the spread on the downwind side, but that's always a guess given that winds change all of the time.

Here is kind of an example:

Re: Duck advice [Re: Sq2 hunter] #5442332 11/25/14 03:35 PM
B
BallerCaller Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
See scooter he has 47,000 acres of private land...we call those "friends" where I come from. He is not going to take your ducks. He is just taking his ducks...on his land....without you.

Re: Duck advice [Re: BallerCaller] #5442972 11/25/14 09:29 PM
_
_Scooter_ Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
_
Originally Posted By: BallerCaller
See scooter he has 47,000 acres of private land...we call those "friends" where I come from. He is not going to take your ducks. He is just taking his ducks...on his land....without you.

What is your point exactly? Trolling? Did I butthurt your best friend with my post? Am I supposed to be mad that I won't get to hunt on his private land? and I'm trying to remember being concerned about "my" ducks. I'm at a loss on that one.

I don't generally come on here to make "friends" and I certainly don't come here to kiss arse for spots on other people's private lands- clearly.

So go ahead and go all Ferguson, MO on me if it makes your day- I'm probably not going to cry anytime soon.

SQ2- good luck, and stack them birds up... Looks like a great property. Find them with good glass and then hunt the wind.

Re: Duck advice [Re: Sq2 hunter] #5443085 11/25/14 10:31 PM
garrett Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
if I had 47k acres I would just hire a guide to ensure a good hunt. if you dont have the cash on hand just sale an acre to a dude with a single wide. No one will look down on you for only having 46,999 acres

Attention rickym, this is not a troll post, just a good hearted fun type of post
Re: Duck advice [Re: Sq2 hunter] #5443089 11/25/14 10:33 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Just find a place that looks good to you and have fun... luck runs the show on the coast

Re: Duck advice [Re: _Scooter_] #5443824 11/26/14 05:11 AM
B
BallerCaller Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
Originally Posted By: _Scooter_
Originally Posted By: BallerCaller

What is your point exactly? Trolling? Did I butthurt your best friend with my post? Am I supposed to be mad that I won't get to hunt on his private land? and I'm trying to remember being concerned about "my" ducks. I'm at a loss on that one.

I don't generally come on here to make "friends" and I certainly don't come here to kiss arse for spots on other people's private lands- clearly.

So go ahead and go all Ferguson, MO on me if it makes your day- I'm probably not going to cry anytime soon.

SQ2- good luck, and stack them birds up... Looks like a great property. Find them with good glass and then hunt the wind.

^^^This guy. Whatever scoots your boots. I don't even know SQ2 I just thought the way things played out between "Guide" and "OP" deserved some fun too since you were having fun. Until you got all sourpuss. Then it was hilarious.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide