N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Originally Posted By: SniperRAB
Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Originally Posted By: Navasot
Gota have a taste for it I guess iv tried dry aging and it tasted way to much like old beef. It was interesting for sure but would rather it be right off the bone

Nav there is a difference in a good cut of meat that was aged vs hamburger that was made into to chili then dried out for 2 weeks in the fridge grin

Sometimes you gotta bring Cletus out of the woods...

rofl

roflmao

Re: deer on ice [Re: cameron00] #5435118 11/21/14 03:27 PM
V
vanguard Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
V
Originally Posted By: cameron00
Here's a picture of 2 deer quarters from the same deer. 1 bled out over an ice rotation, 1 kept right at 32 degrees in the fridge.

You'll notice one still has a large amount of blood in it and one, well, doesn't.

Again, same deer, 2 hind quarters.

I'd also be curious to hear your explanation of why each day when the water is released, it's bright red. Maybe magic is changing it?

was that a whole hind on ice or a cut up hind on ice the one on the right looks better than the one on the left. did you do a taste comparison

Re: deer on ice [Re: rhinomills] #5435123 11/21/14 03:30 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
In my opinion leaving it on ice is fine if you don't have the time to get it processed... but if bleeding it on ice was "the way" to do it they would put beef on ice before they processed it too.

Ours get shot skinned gutted and either put in a fridge for a few hours to cool or iced for a few hours to cool. I hate cutting warm jiggly meat. Ours has no strong taste and the meat is as tender as the cut. Naturally on deer like any animal, loins tenderloins hams are more tender than shank etc.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: deer on ice [Re: redchevy] #5435163 11/21/14 03:50 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
[quote=redchevy]In my opinion leaving it on ice is fine if you don't have the time to get it processed... but if bleeding it on ice was "the way" to do it they would put beef on ice before they processed it too.

Ours get shot skinned gutted and either put in a fridge for a few hours to cool or iced for a few hours to cool. I hate cutting warm jiggly meat. Ours has no strong taste and the meat is as tender as the cut. Naturally on deer like any animal, loins tenderloins hams are more tender than shank etc. [/quote

So many things wrong with that statement. I was just telling my wife a colorful joke when I read this. Now we're really laughing.
As far as tender meat goes I beat my meat with a mallet! eek2

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: deer on ice [Re: redchevy] #5435185 11/21/14 04:05 PM
S
SniperRAB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: redchevy
In my opinion leaving it on ice is fine if you don't have the time to get it processed... but if bleeding it on ice was "the way" to do it they would put beef on ice before they processed it too.

Ours get shot skinned gutted and either put in a fridge for a few hours to cool or iced for a few hours to cool. I hate cutting warm jiggly meat(RED FLAG). Ours has no strong taste(RED FLAG) and the meat is as tender(RED FLAG) as the cut. Naturally on deer like any animal, loins tenderloins hams are more tender than shank etc.

rofl

I keep it on Ice 2-3 days

Re: deer on ice [Re: rhinomills] #5435189 11/21/14 04:08 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
yeah but your mind was already in the gutter. Give me a few beers and tell a dirty joke and all of a sudden I can turn anything dirty.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: deer on ice [Re: rhinomills] #5435201 11/21/14 04:13 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Haha. I hear ya. We're trying to get the holiday started.
Back on the topic. smile I just bought a chest freezer yesterday for 20 bucks. It was a bait freezer at a place that shut down. I cleaned it out and will repaint it. Thermistat works so it will become my new cooling locker.

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: deer on ice [Re: vanguard] #5435205 11/21/14 04:16 PM
C
cameron00 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Originally Posted By: vanguard
Here's a picture of 2 deer quarters from the same deer. 1 bled out over an ice rotation, 1 kept right at 32 degrees in the fridge.

You'll notice one still has a large amount of blood in it and one, well, doesn't.

Again, same deer, 2 hind quarters.

I'd also be curious to hear your explanation of why each day when the water is released, it's bright red. Maybe magic is changing it?

was that a whole hind on ice or a cut up hind on ice the one on the right looks better than the one on the left. did you do a taste comparison

It was the whole quarter, deboned, but in 1 piece cut up after the fact. Your statement was ridiculous - what exactly do you think turns the water during ice run off bright red? If you'd like a picture of that as well, I can provide.

Re: deer on ice [Re: rhinomills] #5435217 11/21/14 04:24 PM
K
krmitchell Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Funny, I bleed my deer for at least a week on ice while others I hunt with don't. When they eat my deer somehow it tastes better than theirs.....Guess I've just been lucky year after year. To answer the OP's question 1-2 weeks on ice is fine as long as the meat isn't sitting in water.

Re: deer on ice [Re: rhinomills] #5435218 11/21/14 04:24 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
In all fairness I have left whole quarters on drained ice for up to two weeks because I couldn't do anything else with it and once you cut in about 1/2 inch or so from the surface exposed to ice it was as red as anything.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: deer on ice [Re: redchevy] #5435225 11/21/14 04:27 PM
C
cameron00 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C

If I shoot a deer and drop it and it's dead within 30 seconds, I only keep it on ice a day or so.

If you lung or shoulder punch one and it runs a few hundred yards in a panic before expiring, the blood is exactly what's going to flush the lactic acid, etc that creates that "you could tell it ran a ways" taste. The blood is what carries everything throughout the body including waste, etc. Yes, I'd rather it be gone given the choice.

And the blood very clearly continues to bleed out as long as there's still gravity and path.

Re: deer on ice [Re: redchevy] #5435233 11/21/14 04:30 PM
C
cameron00 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
In all fairness I have left whole quarters on drained ice for up to two weeks because I couldn't do anything else with it and once you cut in about 1/2 inch or so from the surface exposed to ice it was as red as anything.

The extent of how much the blood drains depends on how intact that quarter is. I debone the deer while they're hanging and there are a lot of cuts all over the muscles.

It's also another reason not to leave the meat suspended in water. Meat that has the pressure of a bunch of ice pushing down on it will bleed out more than meat that is basically floating in icy water.

Re: deer on ice [Re: rhinomills] #5435244 11/21/14 04:33 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
I aways leave a brick under the non drain end and leave the drain open with the chest full of ice. I always debone them hanging. Ill still pass on the science of how to do it etc. there is no benefit to me. I ice it til I can get it taken care of or just long enough to get it chilled. Ive left it on ice as described above for up to two weeks and if cut it up still warm and honestly in the end cant tell a difference other than the exterior of the stuff that sat on ice is pale in color. It still tastes the same to me.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: deer on ice [Re: redchevy] #5435246 11/21/14 04:34 PM
V
vanguard Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
V

this is what ive been trying to explain. water cannot penetrate a hind thats ladened with silver skin. the pic above was a deboned hind, now water may penetrate it as its been filleted wide open. but why anybody would want to soak meat in water in the first place

Re: deer on ice [Re: vanguard] #5435250 11/21/14 04:36 PM
C
cameron00 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C

this is what ive been trying to explain. water cannot penetrate a hind thats ladened with silver skin. the pic above was a deboned hind, now water may penetrate it as its been filleted wide open. but why anybody would want to soak meat in water in the first place

Because I want the blood out of it.

Re: deer on ice [Re: rhinomills] #5435251 11/21/14 04:37 PM
K
krmitchell Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
So then why does meat that has been iced for a week not have the red appearance that fresh meat has? What is all the blood that comes out of the cooler every time it is drained?

Re: deer on ice [Re: cameron00] #5435252 11/21/14 04:37 PM
V
vanguard Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
V

The extent of how much the blood drains depends on how intact that quarter is.

exactly

Re: deer on ice [Re: rhinomills] #5435282 11/21/14 04:53 PM
oldoak2000 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted By: rhinomills
How long is it ok to keep a deer on ice before getting it processed?

I've gone up to two weeks (no choice) - usually try for 1 week.
This was a quartered deer, kept covered & suspended in ice (drain open), cooler kept out of the sun, and I did the final processing.

Going over a week, I do notice a change in the 'smell' of the uncooked/unprocessed meat - so I wouldn't go longer on purpose; however the 2-week stuff has always been better than anything you'll buy at a Walmart or Grocery store!!

If you are 'getting it processed', you really need to take into account how much longer it could possibly 'sit' before being processed/frozen. Then again, you might not even be getting your own meat back, so it may/may not matter ?!?!

I do hope to try 'dry aging' some day (as some thread hijackers have already suggested as the 'only way') when funds will allow, but till then family and I are 110% pleased with the results from 1week in ice (drained) and ME processing!

Re: deer on ice [Re: krmitchell] #5435287 11/21/14 04:55 PM
V
vanguard Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
V
Originally Posted By: rexmitchell
So then why does meat that has been iced for a week not have the red appearance that fresh meat has? What is all the blood that comes out of the cooler every time it is drained?

like its been said depends how intact your quarters are, completely intact it does very little, yes your going to see some bloody water, which is mostly water and probably more from that gaping hole in the shoulder.

you have to cut it up or off the bone to really make a difference but then thats not exactly what i want, i just done want water soaked meat.
best way and ill say it again, hang it in a walk in cooler for 7 to 10 days unskinned deer

Re: deer on ice [Re: oldoak2000] #5435301 11/21/14 04:59 PM
V
vanguard Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
V
Originally Posted By: oldoak2000
Originally Posted By: rhinomills
How long is it ok to keep a deer on ice before getting it processed?

I've gone up to two weeks (no choice) - usually try for 1 week.
This was a quartered deer, kept covered & suspended in ice (drain open), cooler kept out of the sun, and I did the final processing.

Going over a week, I do notice a change in the 'smell' of the uncooked/unprocessed meat - so I wouldn't go longer on purpose; however the 2-week stuff has always been better than anything you'll buy at a Walmart or Grocery store!!

I do hope to try 'dry aging' some day (as some thread hijackers have already suggested as the 'only way') when funds will allow, but till then family and I are 110% pleased with the results from 1week in ice (drained) and ME processing!

check with a processor in your area they offer cold storage for a few bucks a day, shouldnt be more than 50 bucks to hang it for a week.

Re: deer on ice [Re: vanguard] #5435305 11/21/14 05:00 PM
K
krmitchell Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K

like its been said depends how intact your quarters are, completely intact it does very little, yes your going to see some bloody water, which is mostly water and probably more from that gaping hole in the shoulder.

you have to cut it up or off the bone to really make a difference but then thats not exactly what i want, i just done want water soaked meat.
best way and ill say it again, hang it in a walk in cooler for 7 to 10 days unskinned deer

Guess we are going to have to agree to disagree, as I've done it with ice and without and with always tastes better. Especially the straps and loins. Maybe its a mental thing, maybe its not. I don't soak my deer in water either. Its suspended in ice and constantly rotated/re-iced.

Re: deer on ice [Re: vanguard] #5435312 11/21/14 05:04 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

You do realize that leaving skin on slows down the cooling process? And can cause meat to spoil. Even in a walking in cooler. Better hope your cooler is in tip top shape or a processor that gets to 33-34degrees

Seen it happen...ruined cap and bad meat even at 40-45 degrees

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: deer on ice [Re: rhinomills] #5435315 11/21/14 05:05 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
I say its mental.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: deer on ice [Re: rhinomills] #5435343 11/21/14 05:17 PM
K
Kenneth1977 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
K
I can tell you this i would much rather have my deer meat done ASAP and not let set there for a week and i know this because like i have told many before i have been doing this since i was 12 years old at my grandparents processing shop and i know first hand the difference in letting them set in the cooler or ice and it make the meat not so good at all. There was a lot of crazy people that would come in and want it to hang for a week or so and then when they got the meat home and cooked they would call back and say it was no good and that was on 90% of the ones left in ice or just in the cooler .The thing you have to realize deer meat does not break down like beef does and that is a fact no matter what anyone tells you are shows you i know it does not !
And i know i will get my balls busted for saying and that i dont know what i am talking about but when you have processed as many as i have and been around meat like that you learn a lot from it .We did not have 1500 deer a year come in like a lot of places but we did an average of about 200-300 a year for about 24 years and this year is the first year they are not opening it up.

Re: deer on ice [Re: BOBO the Clown] #5435345 11/21/14 05:18 PM
V
vanguard Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
V
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

You do realize that leaving skin on slows down the cooling process? And can cause meat to spoil. Even in a walking in cooler. Better hope your cooler is in tip top shape or a processor that gets to 33-34degrees

Seen it happen...ruined cap and bad meat even at 40-45 degrees

yes im not talking about 60 dg weather its got to be cold outside to allow this, or it has to be quartered and put on ice. but you make it sound scary if not done with utmost precision. it aint all that, you have a big window to get it into cold storage, for one a deer must hang for a bit to go through the rigor mortis cycle. even at 60dg outside you can kill your buck hang it, gut it, put in back of truck drive to meat locker and hang in storage. you act like every processors cooler doesnt work jeeeez. might as well never get a deer processed because theyre cooler doesnt work. come on man quit being a drama queen. processor have to meet guidelines and cooler temps is one
and its 33 to 38 dg your looking for

Last edited by vanguard; 11/21/14 05:21 PM.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide