Page 1 of 2 1 2
Are pet owners our next generation of anti-hunters? #5429358 11/18/14 08:40 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Had a somewhat heated conversation with a couple of co-workers today about people who view their pets as people and equal to other members of the family. In some cases, such people may even see their pets as their kids. And thankfully, the discussion never turned to animals and hunting.

With so much discussion these days on human rights, is hunting set to become threatened by a growing movement to give animals the same rights as humans? I say this because during today's discussion, I was made to be incorrect in viewing pets and people as being unequal.

I'll say one thing. I left today's discussion thinking that animal rights by pet owners falls into that category of topics, along with religion and politics, that you should avoid with co-workers.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Are pet owners our next generation of anti-hunters? [Re: Texas Dan] #5429405 11/18/14 08:56 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Dan, I think people have thought that about their animals (the companion type like a good dog) as "family", since the stone age? We treat our dogs as a members of the family within reason, that loyalty comes with some responsibility and a cost IMO.

Bigger argument to me, would be people that abuse animals under the guise of ownership. (The ones that drop a dog off on the curb, since they don't "jive" anymore)

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: Are pet owners our next generation of anti-hunters? [Re: Texas Dan] #5429415 11/18/14 09:00 PM
T
TexFlip Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
I call my boxer Zeus "my son" but that don't keep me from hunting.

Originally Posted by unclebubba
Just to make sure that it is done thoroughly, I go both ways.

Re: Are pet owners our next generation of anti-hunters? [Re: Texas Dan] #5429424 11/18/14 09:05 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
My dog "Redbone" is a scrapper when it comes to hunting but at home the kids cover him up at night after his treat of course.

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: Are pet owners our next generation of anti-hunters? [Re: Texas Dan] #5429435 11/18/14 09:09 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Q
I love my dogs, and yeah, they are family and we even joked about one of them being more person than dog. But at the end of the day they're still dogs.

Oh, and I love to hunt/fish/trap/etc., and I eat meat.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Are pet owners our next generation of anti-hunters? [Re: Western] #5429448 11/18/14 09:12 PM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Western
Dan, I think people have thought that about their animals (the companion type like a good dog) as "family", since the stone age? We treat our dogs as a members of the family within reason, that loyalty comes with some responsibility and a cost IMO.

Bigger argument to me, would be people that abuse animals under the guise of ownership. (The ones that drop a dog off on the curb, since they don't "jive" anymore)

up

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Are pet owners our next generation of anti-hunters? [Re: Texas Dan] #5429456 11/18/14 09:14 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
I love my dog ill be sad and probably shed a tear the day she leaves us etc. yet I am a hunter.

I don't believe animals of any kind should be abused but in no way do I feel hunting is abusing them.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Are pet owners our next generation of anti-hunters? [Re: Texas Dan] #5429457 11/18/14 09:15 PM
H
Hunt2Fish Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
H
My dogs are family and treat them better than I would people because they are innocent.

I don't have a problem with hunting as long as the animals are legal to kill.

Re: Are pet owners our next generation of anti-hunters? [Re: Texas Dan] #5429471 11/18/14 09:19 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
I'm afraid my wife falls into the "Pet Owner with a 4 footed child" profile...when I heard her years ago loudly explain to the half grown female French Brit exactly WHO was the Alpha "W"itch in the house...and who wasn't...both of them shot me a dirty look when I burst out laughing.

The now 9 year old pup does have a decent command and comprehension of the English Language that my 2 sons never achieved.... Gotta claim your place in the Pack I guess.
Ron

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

"These are the times that try men's soul's"...Thomas Paine

"Those who fail to learn from History are doomed to repeat it" ....Santayana
Re: Are pet owners our next generation of anti-hunters? [Re: Texas Dan] #5429476 11/18/14 09:20 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
I don't see any correlation to dogs and hunting as negative? confused2 If anything, dogs have been a contributing member to the "tribe" since they where domesticated. Man has used dogs TO hunt and in return, the whole "family" eats. Not to mention, most will protect, or at least warn their "family" of danger, pretty important member of the "family" IMO.

What gets my azz, is a dog can be so loyal, he will suffer abuse with a smile on his face. Some folks just don't need an animal of any kind, just my opinion though, nothing personal directed at anyone.

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: Are pet owners our next generation of anti-hunters? [Re: Texas Dan] #5429491 11/18/14 09:26 PM
W
WhoDat Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
W
The biggest threat to hunting, nowadays, is online gaming and social media. Kids just don't spend time outdoors, like they used to. And parents aren't much help, as they're taking on the same habits as their kids. Drive around the Burbs today, and there are few kids playing outside. Half of this are sitting outside, staring at a device.

Regarding pets, I've had pretty close connections to many of my dogs. Heck, I consider a couple of my chickens to be pets (a couple are really smart, and friendly). But that doesn't have anything to do with hunting, in my household. And my chickens love to eat... chicken! LOL

I have noticed some anti-hunting sentiment, being spread in my kids' schools. When my kids bring that stuff up, we talk about things like: deer wasting disease, fertile hogs, etc. Every time my kids have brought that up with their teachers, they're been supportive. Still, seems like a lot of anti outdoors education being taught.

Last edited by WhoDat; 11/18/14 09:28 PM.
Re: Are pet owners our next generation of anti-hunters? [Re: Texas Dan] #5429530 11/18/14 09:36 PM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Nothing wrong with folks that never had kids. But you have to watch the ones that never had kids and have dogs.

Helping my son bury his wife's cat a couple of weeks ago, my daughter-in-law (my very liberal daughter-in-law) commented, while holding my granddaughter, that it really puts losing a pet in perspective when you have a child. Thank you God, there might be a little light at the end of that tunnel.

Lots of folks now feel that it's evil to think of man as dominant over any other creature. Of course, the Bible states otherwise. And, our modern society believes that you can't dominate something without abusing it. They watch National Geographic and similar shows in their comfy cities and naturally assume that animals are sentient beings. I love my dogs dearly, but humans are the only sentient beings. Apes, elephants, dolphins, etc. do some amazing things, but their not sentient.

If you want to end the discussion for good, tell your co-workers you're saving up for an elephant hunt, and, if you win the lottery, you might add-on a lion.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Are pet owners our next generation of anti-hunters? [Re: Creekrunner] #5429558 11/18/14 09:47 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
P
Originally Posted By: Creekrunner
Nothing wrong with folks that never had kids. But you have to watch the ones that never had kids and have dogs.

Helping my son bury his wife's cat a couple of weeks ago, my daughter-in-law (my very liberal daughter-in-law) commented, while holding my granddaughter, that it really puts losing a pet in perspective when you have a child. Thank you God, there might be a little light at the end of that tunnel.

Lots of folks now feel that it's evil to think of man as dominant over any other creature. Of course, the Bible states otherwise. And, our modern society believes that you can't dominate something without abusing it. They watch National Geographic and similar shows in their comfy cities and naturally assume that animals are sentient beings. I love my dogs dearly, but humans are the only sentient beings. Apes, elephants, dolphins, etc. do some amazing things, but their not sentient.

If you want to end the discussion for good, tell your co-workers you're saving up for an elephant hunt, and, if you win the lottery, you might add-on a lion.

The general belief, based on the comments so far, is that most of the non-hunting majority continues to draw a clear distinction between pets and game animals.

However, since when has the majority been the driving force in final decisions?

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Are pet owners our next generation of anti-hunters? [Re: Texas Dan] #5429682 11/18/14 10:35 PM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Texas Dan

Madalyn Murray O'Hair was clearly in the minority. She got rid of prayer in public schools...nationwide.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Are pet owners our next generation of anti-hunters? [Re: Texas Dan] #5429954 11/19/14 12:28 AM
Curtis Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I love my pets. But they are not the same as my own blood. I will protect them however I can, but my kids and wife come before the pets.

Double Arrow Bow Hunting
www.doublearrowbowhunting.com
Bow hunters welcome!
Whitetail-Axis-Blackbuck-Fallow-Barasingha-Scimitar Oryx
Located in Gonzales County.
Visit our Facebook page for current updates!

Re: Are pet owners our next generation of anti-hunters? [Re: Creekrunner] #5429959 11/19/14 12:31 AM
sig226fan (Rguns.com) Offline
duck & cover
duck & cover

Madalyn Murray O'Hair was clearly in the minority. She got rid of prayer in public schools...nationwide.

Nope, she missed a few in North Central Texas.

Re: Are pet owners our next generation of anti-hunters? [Re: Creekrunner] #5429966 11/19/14 12:36 AM
Rob Lay Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker

right on, a few I have run into are bat crazy about their pets. there must be some psychological phenomenon, as they put down having kids for their freedom, yet their pets control their lives and they harbor the pets 3x worse than you would a kid. kooky.

Re: Are pet owners our next generation of anti-hunters? [Re: Creekrunner] #5429971 11/19/14 12:38 AM
Rob Lay Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker

since when has the majority wanted Islamic prayers etc in public schools?

Re: Are pet owners our next generation of anti-hunters? [Re: Texas Dan] #5430078 11/19/14 01:20 AM
M
maximum Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
the worst folks are the ones that constantly
let their animals roam willy nilly, then they
get run over in the roads, or shot for running
stock, or nabbed by predators, etc.
i know of a couple that let their pets roam, and
have lost quite a few to bobcats, coyotes, etc.
and they just replace them and continue to allow
them to roam and get nabbed.
that's true animal abuse.

Re: Are pet owners our next generation of anti-hunters? [Re: maximum] #5430096 11/19/14 01:26 AM
Rob Lay Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Originally Posted By: maximum

we've lost 2 cats to coyotes in last 8 years in Southlake. we honestly did everything we could, didn't declaw cats and didn't let them outside. some times of the year the cats just do what they can to get outside. sometimes they return OK and sometimes a coyote gets them. after the 2nd cat we did stop getting cats.

what I don't understand is people that think the wild animals are a problem. the wild animals are natural here, the humans aren't. we're the problem, not them.

Re: Are pet owners our next generation of anti-hunters? [Re: Rob Lay] #5430493 11/19/14 04:45 AM
P
ParkCountyElkDestroyer Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
P
Originally Posted By: Rob Lay
Originally Posted By: maximum

we've lost 2 cats to coyotes in last 8 years in Southlake. we honestly did everything we could, didn't declaw cats and didn't let them outside. some times of the year the cats just do what they can to get outside. sometimes they return OK and sometimes a coyote gets them. after the 2nd cat we did stop getting cats.

what I don't understand is people that think the wild animals are a problem. the wild animals are natural here, the humans aren't. we're the problem, not them.

Same thing happened to my chickens several times in Dallas. I swear I see more coyotes, bobcats, and foxes at Dallas North Tollway and Royal Lane than I do out in the country on the farm.

Re: Are pet owners our next generation of anti-hunters? [Re: Texas Dan] #5430673 11/19/14 12:43 PM
I
Ichabod Fighter Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
I
Had a somewhat heated conversation with a couple of co-workers today about people who view their pets as people and equal to other members of the family. In some cases, such people may even see their pets as their kids. And thankfully, the discussion never turned to animals and hunting.

With so much discussion these days on human rights, is hunting set to become threatened by a growing movement to give animals the same rights as humans? I say this because during today's discussion, I was made to be incorrect in viewing pets and people as being unequal.

I'll say one thing. I left today's discussion thinking that animal rights by pet owners falls into that category of topics, along with religion and politics, that you should avoid with co-workers.

There is difference between animal rights and animal welfare.

I wouldn't point the finger at pet owners but if people don't think that there are agendas already in place to somehow protect wild game then they are crazy. Anything and everything is on the table. That means the cattle industry, poultry, swine , etc. There are animal rights activities out there right now lobbying against what puts dinner on the table. If you don't think wild game isn't on there then you're nuts.

“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Re: Are pet owners our next generation of anti-hunters? [Re: Ichabod Fighter] #5430781 11/19/14 01:58 PM
C
catslayer Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: Ichabod Fighter

yes there is, but that's a WHOLE nother argument... that I had to go into in detail in my vet school interview...

anyway, having worked in the vet field for 5 years i'll say this. Sweeping generalizations are this, you can split pet owners into two groups.

Group A.Good people who love their pets, they may love on them and spoil them and their wives buy them little jackets. But they are pets, they either have a purpose or their purpose is to love on their owners and be companions. these people are the vast majority and I would generally it isn't what you would say would grow into anti gun/hunting nuts.

Group B. These people LIVE TO SERVE THERE PETS. They put the pet first, they send money to peta thinking it will help there local shelter. Often well meaning... but often in my opinion they are zelots with very little education and understanding of the causes they support. they are the ones who blindy accept peta's "scientific" evidence when they get on the news, even though there sources are sometimes 80 years old and have multiple papers saying the findings are incorrect... the problem is these people are the squeaky wheels. and we all know the theory on that.

they are often good people but you realize quickly that your reality and theirs are very very different... It amazes me that in some ways how naïve these people are but then how completely jaded in other ways...

Last edited by catslayer; 11/19/14 02:00 PM.

Sombody smells like fried borritos...
Re: Are pet owners our next generation of anti-hunters? [Re: catslayer] #5430846 11/19/14 02:24 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: catslayer
Originally Posted By: Ichabod Fighter

yes there is, but that's a WHOLE nother argument... that I had to go into in detail in my vet school interview...

anyway, having worked in the vet field for 5 years i'll say this. Sweeping generalizations are this, you can split pet owners into two groups.

Group A.Good people who love their pets, they may love on them and spoil them and their wives buy them little jackets. But they are pets, they either have a purpose or their purpose is to love on their owners and be companions. these people are the vast majority and I would generally it isn't what you would say would grow into anti gun/hunting nuts.

Group B. These people LIVE TO SERVE THERE PETS. They put the pet first, they send money to peta thinking it will help there local shelter. Often well meaning... but often in my opinion they are zelots with very little education and understanding of the causes they support. they are the ones who blindy accept peta's "scientific" evidence when they get on the news, even though there sources are sometimes 80 years old and have multiple papers saying the findings are incorrect... the problem is these people are the squeaky wheels. and we all know the theory on that.

they are often good people but you realize quickly that your reality and theirs are very very different... It amazes me that in some ways how naïve these people are but then how completely jaded in other ways...

Voice of experience there.

I know a few in Group B. One girl I know thinks of pets as human equivalent and has basically ruined her life fostering 15-20 dogs at any given time. No money, career is shot, marriage strained to the breaking point, etc.,etc.,etc..... She just put up a long post on FB detailing all of her travails in this regard. I so wanted to post "Until you realize animals are not humans, your misery will never end." If I thought she would listen I would. But there is zero chance of that.
It is one of the saddest things I have ever seen.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Are pet owners our next generation of anti-hunters? [Re: Texas Dan] #5430855 11/19/14 02:29 PM
S
snoopy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
There are some subjects better left not-discussed at work. Wasn't worth the aggravation to me, anyway.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide