476282 Topics
6247894 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Topic Options
#5428788 - 11/18/14 11:18 AM Cameras Attracting Cows
BenBob Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Undercover
What is it about game cameras that attrack cows to them. We have had cameras licked on, torn up, and just hauled off by cows on our lease. The cows have even gotten to where they will reached in the pen to tear them up. Was wondering if it is the flashing of the light or the noise or what?

#5428821 - 11/18/14 11:35 AM Re: Cameras Attracting Cows [Re: BenBob]
TxYoteHunter Offline

Loc: Dallas, Tx.
I've had em chew the light wiring connections off my trailer. They somehow busted the tail lights off. My cameras have been twisted, knocked down, etc... It's just in their nature to screw up everything. Last season I watched 5 cows walk at a rapid pace across a pasture to where they saw 2 does eating corn from a road. They chased off the does then stood there about 15 minutes then just laid down.

#5429178 - 11/18/14 01:44 PM Re: Cameras Attracting Cows [Re: BenBob]
LandPirate Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Buda
Haven't you seen the Chik-fil-a ads? The cows are trying to get the word out.

"Eet mor chikin"

#5429337 - 11/18/14 02:30 PM Re: Cameras Attracting Cows [Re: LandPirate]
Western Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Wise County Texas
Originally Posted By: LandPirate

"Eet mor chikin"

rofl

That ,or trying to destroy the evidence!

The first 5 day's after the weekend, are the hardest....

Dennis

#5429443 - 11/18/14 03:11 PM Re: Cameras Attracting Cows [Re: Western]
dogcatcher Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Abilene or on the road...
Originally Posted By: Western
Originally Posted By: LandPirate

"Eet mor chikin"

rofl

That ,or trying to destroy the evidence!

clap

_______ Old style calls for today's outdoorsman_________

#5430097 - 11/18/14 07:26 PM Re: Cameras Attracting Cows [Re: BenBob]
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi

They could possibly be trying to get salt or some mineral they are lacking in their diet.

#5430529 - 11/18/14 11:14 PM Re: Cameras Attracting Cows [Re: BenBob]
Mickey Moose Offline
Veteran Tracker

Cows recently dismantled my cinder block "fire pit"... licking the blocks. One even licked my truck. They have shown little interest in my cameras though.

* In search of 1 or 2 person lease, 3 hours from DFW, Please PM me

#5430534 - 11/18/14 11:20 PM Re: Cameras Attracting Cows [Re: BenBob]
RChipman11 Offline
Outdoorsman

My guess would be flash sparking curiosity. At least that's what it seems from the pics I get of them coming to the camera after initial pic. Also the fact the just like to mess with crap...like truck mirrors bang

#5430553 - 11/19/14 12:06 AM Re: Cameras Attracting Cows [Re: BenBob]
Seadog Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: East Texas
They're just being photogenic!!! I had a buck that once he noticed that the red light wasn't going to hurt him, he actually came back to it from different directions and posed for pics!!!

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the Government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them. - Thomas Jefferson

#5431132 - 11/19/14 10:26 AM Re: Cameras Attracting Cows [Re: BenBob]
dkershen Offline

Loc: Denton/Argyle
Cows are big dumb curious creatures. Anything they can reach will eventually get rubbed, chewed and then stomped and crapped on.

To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.
www.NewHopeEquine.com

#5431542 - 11/19/14 01:41 PM Re: Cameras Attracting Cows [Re: BenBob]
OldTexan Offline
Woodsman

Loc: Brazoria County
Cows ain't near as bad as goats.....Ol' Billy gets a tooth into something he'll chew it off. Ate all the wiring under my buddy's travel trailer and started in on the tires and body parts.

We fished at a lodge in Seadrift that was part of a big high fence game ranch. The had a pig that got real used to people and loved to drink beer out of long necks. You'd hold the bottle and he'd get it in his mouth and drain it. This made him very friendly. Issue was he'd get through the gate quite often and he'd head to the lodge parking lot and chew valve stems off the vehicles. He liked valve stems danged near as much as beer..... grin

#5431598 - 11/19/14 02:15 PM Re: Cameras Attracting Cows [Re: BenBob]
CCBIRDDOGMAN Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: CEDAR CREEK LAKE
When I was a teenager, my buddies Grandfather took us to a private lake in Cresson to fish, got there and unloaded the aluminum boat out of his El camino & took off fishing, when we got back to the truck several hours later we noticed we had left the windows cracked and the cows had licked through the crack and as far as their tongue could reach had destroyed the window / door edge and headliner. His Grandfather was pizzed!

#5435342 - 11/21/14 11:17 AM Re: Cameras Attracting Cows [Re: dkershen]
oldoak2000 Online   content
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Denton, TX
Originally Posted By: dkershen
Cows are big dumb curious creatures. Anything they can reach will eventually get rubbed, chewed and then stomped and crapped on.

mostly; I would replace 'dumb' with slow+clumsy+persistant.
I have a 2-yo Longhorn bull who will untie knots in rope with his horns.
And yes - anything 'new' will be thoroughly 'analyzed' (licked, chewed, rubbed, tossed about, and finally - mashed into the ground!).

#5435462 - 11/21/14 12:26 PM Re: Cameras Attracting Cows [Re: BenBob]
Toxarch Online   content
Pro Tracker

Loc: Parker County
I've found that cows are different in different places. One friend's ranch, the cows are like goats. They will eat the trailer wiring harness off the back of the truck, lick the entire truck, taste anything and everything, eat the vinyl seats off 4 wheelers, destroy game cameras, climb through a 3 or 4 strand barbed wire feeder pen around deer feeders to eat all the corn, eat the timer under the barrel if they can reach it, worst cows to have on a place. Now at another friend's ranch, those cows don't mess with anything. No need for feeder pens, they don't mess with game cameras, if it's left out in the open it's not a problem, those cows are great. There's times they show up while you are in the stand, but they are just grazing and either keep on going or stick around for a while and maybe take a nap. They almost never touch the corn. Maybe once in a blue moon they will hit the timer on a low feeder and damage it. But for the most part, they're pretty good.
My theory behind it is the amount they are fed. The first ranch feeds their cows occasionally. There's plenty to eat, but they want the bales and cubs. They mess with everything. The second ranch feeds their cows regularly. Plenty of hay in the winter, plenty of grass, cubes regularly on a schedule. They're the ones that don't mess with anything that isn't theirs.

— Dwight D. Eisenhower

#5435472 - 11/21/14 12:36 PM Re: Cameras Attracting Cows [Re: BenBob]
n-all Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Lovejoy Texas
They smell you..spray the post/tree whatever you place the camera on with scent free spary..and or use rubber gloves when messing with the camera.

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide