Page 1 of 2 1 2
My Story (PIC Heavy) #5428035 11/18/14 05:36 AM
O
Outfishdya Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
O
STX's great read on his buck has motivated me to share this with you guys...

I started hunting a lease in North East Knox county 3 years ago. This particular lease has some really nice deer compared to the East Texas leases I have hunted most of my life, but not great numbers. The first year I did not even scout the place until mid October. I found a place I thought would be good, but I only had 2 deer on the game cam by late November. Both deer were walking through and only one pic of each. Another hunter allowed me to hunt his blind and I shot a nice 9 point. This was the largest buck I had ever shot. It was also the only deer I saw from a blind all season.

Here is a Pic of the East TX (left) Vs West TX racks

Determined to have better luck, I scouted all available land to find a better spot. I finally narrowed it down to a spot, and built a new blind to help to make hunting the brutal high winds and freezing temps which this region is known for. What I thought was preparation turned to be utter failure from the start. No pun intended...
New Blind

Bow season was a battle between me and the cattle. Each trip yielded a busted feeder and more frustration. I staked my feeder down only to have the cows bust their heads on the feeder motor until it broke off and emptied all the corn. From the pics it was generally within a day of filling it up. I ended up penning the feeder, but the cows would just bend my T posts until a sag formed in the pin, and step over the barbed wire.

Opening day of general season I was as stoked as ever. I felt I had fixed my pen and cow problems. Upon arriving on Friday, I worked to put up a second feeder for pigs at 180 deg from the 1st, and across a pond. I made my way to my primary feeder to find the motor completely busted off. If you have ever emptied the corn out of a full feeder back into the bags, you know how much this sucks to do. I moved the second feeder into the pen and finally got set up shortly before dark.
I went to open up my blind, only to be swarmed by wasps!!! I was prepared with spray, but I had them coming from all directions, and was unable to do enough damage before they were going crazy. I had to let them calm down.
After researching all night on how to kill these off, I found the solution was to get them when it was below 60 deg and still dark. These 2 factors were guaranteed to work. I got to the blind extra early, and it was 58 deg outside. I climbed into the blind and hit the light to find the nest. to my surprise, no nest, I had a LED flashlight and was not seeing the yellow fellows. I got closer to the wall and then I noticed the little black dots which covered every square inch of the 4' by 6' blind. They were all wasps. Everywhere I looked. 1000s of them. I backed to the ladder and hit em with 2 cans of liquid death. I then started hearing the fly past me. I quickly hopped off the ladder and sprinted back 10 yards. After regaining my composure, and breath from flailing around like wounded turkey, I looked out the door of the blind and silhouetted in the moonlit sky these things were flying out of my blind??? My research had guaranteed this would not happen, but wrong.
I ended up in my popup blind for the 1st 2 days. I saw no deer and had sprayed enough spray to scare off every deer in the county. Day 3 I was determined to hunt my blind. The temp had dropped into the 40s and I was getting the rest of these beasts. I crawled in and let em have it. I had sprayed 3 walls good enough from the previous 2 days to keep them off, but the back wall had many more of them. I finished them off, and opened the door to air out. I waited a bit and climbed back in. I had finally won.

Openening weekend I saw nothing. Cam pics showed 2 bucks hanging around my feeder until the time I started on the wasps. They never came back, ever. I had little action at the feeder, and ended the year with no deer, and worse, for the second year, I saw no deer from the blind at all.

I did have a really nice buck show up on cam a few times and just seeing his pics left me excited each time out. I named him Napoleon for he looked short and powerful. He was in for 3 days around the rut and never came to my place again. 1 week later he was at another feeder with a broken brow, and then gone until the last week of the season. He stayed there until the feeder ran empty after the season. Another hunter showed me a pic of him this year and he was only an 8 and on the decline. So he thought.

Re: My Story (PIC Heavy) [Re: Outfishdya] #5428037 11/18/14 05:37 AM
O
Outfishdya Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
O
This year I was able to move to a new location as a member left the lease. I wanted to be prepared, but as the off season for so many goes, I was less than prepared. I got my feeder moved over in dove season, and was unable to get the mega blind moved till 3 weeks from go time. I did use pest strips and raid bug bombs during dove season, and no wasps in October. I was ecstatic to see Napoleon had made it through the season, but no pics on anyone's camera from this year. I hunted opening weekend and saw nothing. I was feeling about as low as possible. I have to ask myself if the chance of a big deer is worth not seeing any.
On Friday I headed out for another trip. As always excited, but still a bit worried about not seeing deer. I hunted Sat. morning and saw a pig early. It was in a hard place to see at about 280 yards. It turned and ran like it was spooked. I was sure the 25 mile an hour wind had given me up. Soon after wards a buck came out in the same place. He moved across and wanted to clear the field quickly. I had decided he was a good buck to shoot, as I was gonna take just about anything by now, and I turned to grab my gun. I turned back and he had completely vanished. Never saw him again, but I saw a buck. Not just a buck, but a good buck, and from my stand. After the hunt I was eager to check the cam and see what this buck looked like up close.
I checked the pics and saw him, he was a new 8 I had not seen before on cam. Good looking deer. I kept going through my pics and with each day I had more and more good deer coming. I had about a dozen different bucks, a good 8, many small 8's, 10 with good mass, but the tines were only about 3 inches tall. I saw the 1st spike we have seen in many years. Then, on Wed, he showed up. Napoleon was back and better than ever.

He had made his appearance to make me drool, and was sure to hang out briefly never show on my cam again. But this appearance was what it took to get me going. I was as happy as ever with the lease. Low numbers or not, I was in the ball park with big bucks, and the park is the best place to play. I went to the blind on Saturday afternoon with a new perspective. I was going to get something, and just enjoy the hunt, forget the struggle. A 3 point came out behind me and down wind. He walked to within 30 yards and spooked. I could have taken him, but I no longer felt the need to take a cull yet. Well, it was the right decision.

Napolean made his grand appearance. He came from the same direction as the smaller buck, but kept to the fence line. The fence line was parallel to the wind. He kept coming and made his way to the feeder. I had my gun ready. I put it on him and he kept walking past the front of the pen. I kept the crosshairs on him and then he walked right past my shooting lane. Kept on moving, and my heart dropped. Then he turned and came back. He walked up to the pen and stopped quartered away. I put it on him, I shot, he buckled and ran off, out of site in 10 yards. But I can see for miles, is he in the canyon? Where is he. He must be down. Now my mind is warped. I shot at 15 min till dark. I must have waited an hour, but it is not dark. I am waiting for darkness, but darkness is not coming. I get down and go to look for blood. 5 drops at the place I shot and 2 more drops 5 yards away where he ran. No more blood. The guys came out to help, We searched around the pond and the low areas which obstructed my view. We could not find him. It was starting to make me sick, but I was gonna look till the sun came up. I headed back to the last blood 1 more time, and there he was. Less than 30 yards from where I shot, up against the bushes, the hunt was finally over.
I am emotionally worn out.
Sorry for the side view. I am tired also

I can not get all pics to show.
Maybe over the limit or something
Guesses on score are welcome, but I will not know till the taxi gets back to me.

thanks for reading
Shakysights(Outfishdya)

Re: My Story (PIC Heavy) [Re: Outfishdya] #5428051 11/18/14 05:52 AM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Great buck and great write up up

Nothing better than a plan coming together and I really enjoy picking a buck and hunting him. Congrats!!!

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: My Story (PIC Heavy) [Re: Outfishdya] #5428059 11/18/14 05:56 AM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
Well earned and well deserved trophy! Congratulations on a magnificent buck!

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: My Story (PIC Heavy) [Re: Outfishdya] #5428080 11/18/14 08:25 AM
S
S.A. hunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
I'll be honest. I hate reading so I just looked at the pics. That in one hell of a nice buck.

Re: My Story (PIC Heavy) [Re: txshntr] #5428086 11/18/14 09:42 AM
S
Seadog Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: txshntr

Nothing better than a plan coming together and I really enjoy picking a buck and hunting him. Congrats!!!

up

I support Cap and Trade - Cap our spending and Trade Obama

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the Government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them. - Thomas Jefferson
Re: My Story (PIC Heavy) [Re: Seadog] #5428096 11/18/14 10:47 AM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted By: Seadog

up

up up Almost makes all that work and worrying worth it! grin Great way to keep pluging away until it all comes together.

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: My Story (PIC Heavy) [Re: Western] #5428119 11/18/14 11:32 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: Western

up

up up Almost makes all that work and worrying worth it! grin Great way to keep pluging away until it all comes together.

Nothing more satisfying than a successful hunt. cheers

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: My Story (PIC Heavy) [Re: Outfishdya] #5428167 11/18/14 12:47 PM
B
Bengoin Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
Great story. I actually accidentally knocked a window out of my blind this year swinging at a wasp. LOL
Persistence pays off, Nice Buck!!! What did he score?

Re: My Story (PIC Heavy) [Re: Outfishdya] #5428200 11/18/14 01:10 PM
M
MEXICOHUNTER70 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
M
Great story and great buck !!! That's the kinda story I like . Instead of My guide called and said the big buck is showing up again . So I jumped on a plane and was there in time to make the evening hunt . The guide corned the road and big boy stepped out and I smoked him . I think he will score a little over 200 B/C

Re: My Story (PIC Heavy) [Re: Outfishdya] #5428233 11/18/14 01:27 PM
J
JRJ6 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
cheers

Re: My Story (PIC Heavy) [Re: Bengoin] #5428321 11/18/14 02:14 PM
O
Outfishdya Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
O
Originally Posted By: Bengoin
Great story. I actually accidentally knocked a window out of my blind this year swinging at a wasp. LOL
Persistence pays off, Nice Buck!!! What did he score?

Don't have any idea of what the score is. I put up plenty of pics. Any guesses welcome. He lost about 4 inches of brow tine

Re: My Story (PIC Heavy) [Re: Outfishdya] #5430527 11/19/14 05:13 AM
H
hunterbuck Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
H
cheers

If you love it, shoot it!
Re: My Story (PIC Heavy) [Re: Outfishdya] #5430547 11/19/14 05:58 AM
dogcatcher Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
You earned every bit of that deer with hard work and determination. Congratulations and thanks for sharing.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: My Story (PIC Heavy) [Re: Outfishdya] #5430627 11/19/14 11:41 AM
J
jdk1985 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
Holy crap that is determination right there. The wasp story was hilarious and brought back some of my own memories of similar situations.

Nice buck!

Instagram @justinkingwoodworking
Re: My Story (PIC Heavy) [Re: Outfishdya] #5430628 11/19/14 11:42 AM
J
jdk1985 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
Being named Napolean and so short, you should have known he wouldn't fall very far!!!

Instagram @justinkingwoodworking
Re: My Story (PIC Heavy) [Re: stxranchman] #5430659 11/19/14 12:20 PM
kry226 Online Content
The General
Online Content
The General
Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Originally Posted By: Western

up

Nothing more satisfying than a successful hunt. cheers

[Linked Image]
Re: My Story (PIC Heavy) [Re: Outfishdya] #5430668 11/19/14 12:39 PM
N
Novemberyet Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
N
Great narrative and congratulations on a great buck. Your wasp picture had me confused.....I thought it was decorative rug at first.

Re: My Story (PIC Heavy) [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks] #5430724 11/19/14 01:31 PM
L
landsurveyor Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks
Well earned and well deserved trophy! Congratulations on a magnificent buck!
cheers

"A hungry dog hunts best." Lee Trevino

www.prospectlandsurveying.com
Re: My Story (PIC Heavy) [Re: Outfishdya] #5430992 11/19/14 03:25 PM
T
TxYoteHunter Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
You've learned a great deal about several problems sounds like. Bug bombs work great on the wasps. My blind is caulked and sealed so tight you can't see any light at all anytime if you get in and shut the door.
Great looking buck you got there. Congratulations. Looks like you found yourself a good spot.

Re: My Story (PIC Heavy) [Re: Outfishdya] #5431009 11/19/14 03:34 PM
C
Curly Offline
Overrated
Overrated
C
Cool stuff bud! Congrats! cheers

Re: My Story (PIC Heavy) [Re: Outfishdya] #5431178 11/19/14 04:49 PM
W
WTGuide Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
W
up

Think you can/Think you can't/Either way you're right

Re: My Story (PIC Heavy) [Re: Outfishdya] #5431213 11/19/14 05:06 PM
P
PMK Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
up nice buck and write-up! Thanks for sharing!

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: My Story (PIC Heavy) [Re: Outfishdya] #5431225 11/19/14 05:11 PM
T
tShawnB Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
We had a guy who left his camper at the lease all year. I s**t you not he had 10 thousand wasp in that thing. It was the definition of infestation. I kill hundreds a year if not more and don't leave my camper at the lease. Hopefully this last freeze did em in for a while, but I doubt it. BTW, great story and nice ending.

How come everybody I meet is a deer hunting expert?
Re: My Story (PIC Heavy) [Re: Outfishdya] #5431231 11/19/14 05:13 PM
L
LandPirate Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
L
Congrats on a nice buck.

Mike
Buda, Tx
Hunt near Freer
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread