475896 Topics
6242952 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#5426799 - 11/17/14 03:48 PM Quail hunt gone askew
kpaw Offline
Light Foot

I took my 8 month old pup out for a quail hunt Saturday. It started of great in my eyes(she is still bumping and only flash pointing), she found several coveys and was doing great. I had a collar malfunction, had to use a friends and did not have e-collar control. She broke on a rabbit, I should have put her up then. Maybe 10 minutes later she shoots towards the brush, I see black pop up everywhere. We head that way, and I hear squealing
, and knew it was too late. This is what I found. I wanted to disiplin her, but I knew it should have been done before she caught one (which I did not have the chance, not having the e collar control). I was kinda proud, but I did not let her know that. Any suggestions on how to try to avoid this in the future, I plan on keeping a collar on her and zapping before she gets to some next time, that is if I can see her.

#5426879 - 11/17/14 04:09 PM Re: Quail hunt gone askew [Re: kpaw]
TDH09 Offline

Loc: Cedar Park, Tx
Looks like a versatile dog doing what she was bred to do...produce game.

#5426934 - 11/17/14 04:26 PM Re: Quail hunt gone askew [Re: kpaw]
kpaw Offline
Light Foot

That was my other thought, I just don't want her to come across a larger hog and get hurt.

#5426937 - 11/17/14 04:26 PM Re: Quail hunt gone askew [Re: kpaw]
bill oxner Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Richmond
Saw it happen with a field trial bred britt in a pasture near my house. We jumped over a dozen of those little suckers Saturday. No harm done. Don't study about it.

#5426963 - 11/17/14 04:35 PM Re: Quail hunt gone askew [Re: kpaw]
iliketohunt Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Weatherford, TX
I think it's awesome. My dog knows leave it so I can call him off when I want but I wouldn't purposely break him from pigs.
I'm not a quail purest though.

#5427004 - 11/17/14 04:48 PM Re: Quail hunt gone askew [Re: kpaw]
scalebuster Online   content
Pro Tracker

I've stitched up some dogs from fighting with hogs and almost lost a good pointer when they all decided to jump on a big sow. Before we had good shock collars the prefered training method would have been to beat the crap out of that dog with the pig carcas then wire it to his collar and let him drag it the rest of the day. That always seemed to break them of catching jackrabbits.

#5428160 - 11/18/14 06:39 AM Re: Quail hunt gone askew [Re: kpaw]
stinkbelly Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Parker County, Tx
That versatile dog is doing what it is supposed to do. What you need to do later is train your dog to leave something alone with a verbal command. Mine is OFF. That means leave anything and everything alone. Also one more command that I like to train is down. I can tell her down at any distance and she will drop. The true test is to have your dog drop down while chasing game. If you can do that you will have complete control over your dog. It will also make it safer for your dog. For now, your dog should just be having the time of her life and getting into all types of game.

Here is my quail hunt that went askew when Izzy was about 18 months old. Luckily I was prepared for this big guy. Izzy went from search to tracking and when she hit the brush I heard grunting and knew what was about to happen.

#5428290 - 11/18/14 07:59 AM Re: Quail hunt gone askew [Re: kpaw]
CCBIRDDOGMAN Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: CEDAR CREEK LAKE
Our Brittany Daisy will point the heck outa some hogs but doesn't try to chase or grab em. I walked right in on a nice little sow last year that she had pointed (actually there were several), and killed it with birdshot we were so close. Now I can read her face when she is pointing hogs or deer and know that it isn't birds before we ever get to her.

I would invest in a skin stapler if I were you just to be safe. Very light & small and could really come in handy.
But other than that, the dog is just doing what it's bred to do.

#5429197 - 11/18/14 01:49 PM Re: Quail hunt gone askew [Re: kpaw]
Pointer Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Bishop, Texas
PeeWee (E.pointer)is my hog finder. He just doesn't want any part of them after he points them and they flush. If he appears to be about 1/2 on point, and kinda juking around, I start thinking hog.

One of my females caught a little one in a feeder pen, I could see what I think was mama, coming thru the thick grass to all the squealing and carrying on.
Luckily the piglet broke free of Libby's grip, and shot thru the fence before mama got her courage up!

Edited by Pointer (11/18/14 01:50 PM)

#5434346 - 11/20/14 07:37 PM Re: Quail hunt gone askew [Re: kpaw]
Drahthaar Offline
Woodsman

if you don't like your dog on pigs you should have got a pointer or setter. not a wirehair or drahthaar.they are bred to hunt anything & everything .Forrest

#5434353 - 11/20/14 07:43 PM Re: Quail hunt gone askew [Re: kpaw]
Drahthaar Offline
Woodsman

By the way you don't need a e colar on a 8 month old puppy. trie a check cord ,and woah breaking. Forrest

#5434746 - 11/21/14 02:17 AM Re: Quail hunt gone askew [Re: kpaw]
Sniper John Online   happy

gumshoe

Loc: North Texas
Yep, DDs are really popular for Hog hunting in Germany. Though not as much as Drahthaars, Vizslas are still used on large game by some and used to not be that uncommon.

Some really cool pictures of Drahthaars with boar.
http://drahthaar.yuku.com/topic/1358/Drahthaars-BoarsPhotos

I stalked hogs on purpose with my older Vizsla Blaze until she went blind from a tick disease. She was never allowed to engage them and they would be shot before they could engage her. Usually at very close range. Once I killed 5 separate hogs over her during a single weekend. My young Dash is more aggressive self thinking and stubborn, so I avoid the hogs with him for now, but when he matures some I may take what I learned with Blaze and train him in that direction then.

#5435121 - 11/21/14 09:30 AM Re: Quail hunt gone askew [Re: kpaw]
kpaw Offline
Light Foot

Some clarity is needed. I got a DD because she will be pointing, retrieving, and tracking wounded game. I'm not upset that she got the hog, I'm upset that I was not able to control the situation. I'm training her to hunt what I want when I want, not what she wants when she wants. I first want to thank everyone for their input, I am now working with the command off (thanks). As far as the e-collar vs. check cord. I only use the e-collar for enforcement of commands she is clear on. I take her off the check cord for quail because she can cover more ground than me, (Maybe I don't know what I'm doing), but its the only way I have found to be able to work her on wild quail. We typically cover over 500 acres a day. I did not want to correct her on the hog, I wanted to correct her for not stopping when I blew the whistle, well before the hogs jumped. The zap i mentioned is for not stopping with the whistle, something she an 8 month old puppy is proficient at and knows fully what it means. I agree with everyone that she (DDs) is a versatile dog, that is why I got her, and that is what she will be used for.

#5435188 - 11/21/14 10:07 AM Re: Quail hunt gone askew [Re: kpaw]
MS1454 Online   content
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Houston/Sealy
Nice looking pup, looks like mine in that picture.

Yes what other's have said, just some obedience

#5435215 - 11/21/14 10:23 AM Re: Quail hunt gone askew [Re: kpaw]
TDH09 Offline

Loc: Cedar Park, Tx
Kpaw - do you plan on testing your dog? Have you joined VDD-GNA? We'll have some training days after the new year for pups preparing for their VJP's this spring.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide