OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
C

Re: State's Rights? [Re: Concho] #5358474 10/14/14 12:59 AM
Ramsey Online Content
Pepe' Le Pew
Online Content
Pepe' Le Pew
I say that state makes me want to puke. They will probably pass the legislation bein backed by billionaires.

Big Beckett!!
Re: State's Rights? [Re: Concho] #5370790 10/20/14 11:58 PM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
So I guess y'all are all for felons and crazy pukes to be able to buy weapons?

Life is too short, as is. Don't chance it.
Don't text and drive.
Re: State's Rights? [Re: Erathkid] #5373740 10/22/14 04:06 PM
Ramsey Online Content
Pepe' Le Pew
Online Content
Pepe' Le Pew
Originally Posted By: Erathkid
Do you think this law would prevent felons and crazy pukes to obtain weapons. This is about a gun registry.

Big Beckett!!
Re: State's Rights? [Re: Concho] #5373800 10/22/14 04:34 PM
D
Dave Scott Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
Gun crime is such an emotional issue that reason doesn't seem to be a part of it. I've kept pretty close track on where various criminals have obtained their weapons. That crazy kid in Connecticut. Mother's gun, under lock and key, very expensive (no "Saturday night special") all the checks in place- didn't do any good. I'm pretty sure if a crime was committed by a mental case or crook that obtained the firearm at a gun show WE WOULD NEVER HEAR THE END OF IT on the evening news and yet I personally can't recall anything of that nature. It is akin to the "Assault Weapons Ban". Some reporter asked the NYC chief of police about the ban and he said it wouldn't make any difference because such weapons were only used in about 1% of the crimes and any other type weapon could just as easily been used.
So emotions rule and common sense gets thrown out the window.
This idea of having to use a gun broker- there goes half the value of your firearm if you want to sell it. That's not fair. I called the local police and asked them where gun brokers call in for a back ground check, couldn't a private citizen do the same? Told NO. My thought was if you are a private citizen selling a firearm, you ought to be able to call in the back ground check, use your credit card (Gun stores pay about $10) and then what I would like is to be given a confirmation number you keep. If the buyer of your firearm immediately commits a crime, etc.- as long as you did the back ground check and have the confirmation number- you are held harmless from any link in selling the weapon. Seems like such a system would be easy enough to do and it would protect one in privately selling a firearm, plus, if you are of a worrisome nature- peace of mind you didn't sell a firearm to a nut case.
But- note should be taken about all the gun sales that were denied- didn't really correlate with a proportional decrease in crime, if one was just to use reason.
When I was a "young'n" you could still buy firearms through the mail. I bought a 6 shooter when I was 15. Such things didn't seem to be a problem back then.

Re: State's Rights? [Re: Dave Scott] #5373979 10/22/14 06:14 PM
B
BnT Offline
Super Troll
Super Troll
B
Originally Posted By: Dave Scott
Gun crime is such an emotional issue that reason doesn't seem to be a part of it. I've kept pretty close track on where various criminals have obtained their weapons. That crazy kid in Connecticut. Mother's gun, under lock and key, very expensive (no "Saturday night special") all the checks in place- didn't do any good. I'm pretty sure if a crime was committed by a mental case or crook that obtained the firearm at a gun show WE WOULD NEVER HEAR THE END OF IT on the evening news and yet I personally can't recall anything of that nature. It is akin to the "Assault Weapons Ban". Some reporter asked the NYC chief of police about the ban and he said it wouldn't make any difference because such weapons were only used in about 1% of the crimes and any other type weapon could just as easily been used.
So emotions rule and common sense gets thrown out the window.
This idea of having to use a gun broker- there goes half the value of your firearm if you want to sell it. That's not fair. I called the local police and asked them where gun brokers call in for a back ground check, couldn't a private citizen do the same? Told NO. My thought was if you are a private citizen selling a firearm, you ought to be able to call in the back ground check, use your credit card (Gun stores pay about $10) and then what I would like is to be given a confirmation number you keep. If the buyer of your firearm immediately commits a crime, etc.- as long as you did the back ground check and have the confirmation number- you are held harmless from any link in selling the weapon. Seems like such a system would be easy enough to do and it would protect one in privately selling a firearm, plus, if you are of a worrisome nature- peace of mind you didn't sell a firearm to a nut case.
But- note should be taken about all the gun sales that were denied- didn't really correlate with a proportional decrease in crime, if one was just to use reason.
When I was a "young'n" you could still buy firearms through the mail. I bought a 6 shooter when I was 15. Such things didn't seem to be a problem back then.

That sounds like a bunch of hippity hoppity, hokey pokey, mumbo jumbo if you ask me. They just need to GTFO.

Re: State's Rights? [Re: Ramsey] #5374952 10/23/14 03:11 AM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
Originally Posted By: Ramsey
Do you think this law would prevent felons and crazy pukes to obtain weapons. This is about a gun registry.
We all know that they can acquire weapons illegally. Should we make it legal? If so, what is the use in having laws? Seems to me , there are enough idiots with guns, we don't need to make it easier for people with mental problems to have them.

Last edited by Erathkid; 10/23/14 03:13 AM.

Don't text and drive.
Re: State's Rights? [Re: Concho] #5374963 10/23/14 03:17 AM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
BTW. If I go to Academy to buy a weapon, I have to follow protocol. At a gun show, no need to do that. What are people scared of confused2

Don't text and drive.
Re: State's Rights? [Re: Concho] #5394804 11/03/14 02:54 AM
P
piney woods hunter Offline
Tracker
Tracker
P
only private sellers don,t have to do paper work just like anywere else . dealers have to follow protocol anywere they sell a firearm, there is no suspendsion of rules that is a myth

NRA all the way god guns and guts made us free , i want all three
Re: State's Rights? [Re: Concho] #5410874 11/10/14 07:01 PM
D
Dave Scott Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
Exactly right Piney- it is one thing that really irks me. I'm all for Freedom of the Press but when the Press continually and KNOWINGLY presents information that is not a lie but is presented to mislead- that should be stopped. Almost every non-gun owner THINKS you can waltz into a gun show and buy a gun without any background check. I point out that any dealer at the show who rents a table, that dealer still has to do the check. This idea that a private seller rents a table. The only private sellers I've seen at these shows who rent a table are collectors with their firearms under glass display cases. The guns you can buy without a background check, the only such opportunities I've seen is some guy with a shotgun or rifle slung over his back, walking around, and the gun has a "For Sale" tag on it. You can do the same thing in a newspaper ad or on the net. The news media is making a big issue out of a non-event IMHO.

Re: State's Rights? [Re: Concho] #5426406 11/17/14 06:06 PM
D
Dave Scott Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
Here's a thought. A lot of our gun control problems started with the arrival of "Big Government". Since this started with a State's Rights issue, I've often wondered about U.S. Senate races. Originally the people voted for their Congressmen and the State legislature appointed the two state Senators. It seems to me that the Senators must have been very sensitive to their State legislatures as they might not otherwise get re-elected. I wonder if that increased State's Rights.
Off hand, when folks started voting for Senators, from the face of it- seems like a good thing- more "voice" from the people. I'm just wondering how things would operate if we went back to the old way, Senators sent to Washington from their State Government- might help increase State power versus Federal.
What if a movement to that effect got started? Who would oppose it? I would think anyone looking for a strong federal government to solve all our troubles.

Last edited by Dave Scott; 11/17/14 06:07 PM.
Re: State's Rights? [Re: Concho] #5429974 11/19/14 12:39 AM
sig226fan (Rguns.com) Offline
duck & cover
duck & cover

Re: State's Rights? [Re: sig226fan (Rguns.com)] #5429995 11/19/14 12:51 AM
D
dawaba Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
Around a century ago, when senators were elected by the state legislatures, the candidates were vetted by the party machines that controlled the state affairs. So your senator in Washington was the yes man puppet of the political boss of the state. Remember Tammany Hall? How about Mark Hanna? Would you want a rep controlled by Mayor Daley, or by you?

Our present system has its faults, no doubt, but very few would trade today for yesterday. Me neither.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple.....and wrong." H. L. Mencken
Re: State's Rights? [Re: Concho] #5431256 11/19/14 05:21 PM
D
Dave Scott Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
Well that's the thing. There are trade offs. I always thought the more positions open to election the better. Judges are a good example. Still, I got wondering why States are becoming the underling of the Federal Government- how did it happen? I think federal revenue sharing was a big factor, States wanted the federal dollars so they'd do whatever the Federal government wanted. I'm all for the federal law being the supreme law of the land- as stated in the Constitution but just because federal law is supreme doesn't mean that the federal government is supreme over the states- each have their own areas.
I've read that other countries like Mexico closely copied the U.S. Constitution. Why were the results so different? One thought I've had is that in our country the States represented a further layer of protection against overbearing government from a single source.

Re: State's Rights? [Re: Concho] #5510102 12/31/14 01:40 PM
B
BillS2008 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
2nd. Amendment Foundation has filed a law suit against I-594. The law is so vague that even LE is giving different interpretations. Some LE is telling TSA that if a traveler presents a legal firearm to TSA for checking on a flight, as the law prescribes, that action is a transfer and must be handled as such. Students at a shooting school cannot pass a firearm to one another without a transfer. However, they have exempted instructors from the law.

Re: State's Rights? [Re: Erathkid] #5510434 12/31/14 04:48 PM
Cast Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity

Imagine you're a private seller at a gun show, and some crazy guy wants to buy a gun from you. Are you gonna sell it to an obviously deranged crazy guy? I thought not, neither would I. I've done some FTF gun transfers, we usually spend a few minutes feeling each other out before the bidness starts. Then we swap Texas driver's licenses so each can take a pic of the other's TDL. Never had a bad FTF.

That's how the system works, just let the system work. Crazy guys don't do gun shows anyhow is my guess, just too much security. They go buy from other crazy guys or steal a gun. Bottom line, the criminals and crazies will always be able to get guns.

Cast

[Linked Image]

I have a short attention spa
Re: State's Rights? [Re: Concho] #5517025 01/03/15 03:58 PM
D
Dave Scott Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
I wonder if any statistics have been done on where already convicted felons acquired a firearm, "on the street", gun show", stole from friend, relative, acquaintance, etc.? As I said the first year the background check went into effect Pres. Clinton gloated that 600,000 would be purchases were denied and yet crime that year didn't drop. What's the point?

Re: State's Rights? [Re: Concho] #5569865 01/28/15 11:49 PM
S
shoots100 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
All I can say is Fight, Fight, Fight all you can and don't sit on your asses thinking this crap won't pass in your state.
Once they open one feel good law, the flood gate will soon break.
I live in NY state and the gun laws here suck the big one, but they Could be worse. How, ask anyone who lives in Kalifornia ?
Don't get complacent and think it won't happen, because it will.
They will use every trick in the book and then some.
Soon I'll be forced to move out of this state and I'll need somewhere to go.
Texas is like a beacon of freedom to us.
Nip this BS in the bud and keep Texas Free.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide