Forum Stats
60449 Members
45 Forums
475962 Topics
6243642 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#5425826 - 11/17/14 09:00 AM How do yall keep your turrets from spinning?
NTXBowfisher Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: G-vine
I have a vortex viper PST and what I've run into hunting with this rifle this year is between sliding it in and out of the case and various hunting activities that the windage knob gets moved... alot. it caused me to miss the one of the largest low fence deer i've ever seen on Saturday bang

what do yall do to prevent this?

#5426281 - 11/17/14 11:15 AM Re: How do yall keep your turrets from spinning? [Re: NTXBowfisher]
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Lewisville, TX
Always check your turrets before shooting, or once at your shooting location. You can also get a scope cover, that goes over the scope. I have a padded one that snaps over just the scope, and can go with the rifle wherever it goes.

It's one of these:

https://www.triadtactical.com/Triad-Padded-Scope-and-Muzzle-Cover.html

www.DallasReloads.com
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL

#5426444 - 11/17/14 01:43 PM Re: How do yall keep your turrets from spinning? [Re: NTXBowfisher]
FiremanJG Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Wolfe City, TX
ALWAYS CHECK YOUR ZEROS!!!

I have had the exact same thing happen to me with the same scope. Fortunately I was shooting steel on a bud's range in west Texas and not hunting. Lesson learned.

Check zeros, set parralax to 100 yds, turn magnification all the way down prior to walking with the rifle, while hunting.

800 Yard Steel Rifle Range
Long Range Shooting Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available

#5427145 - 11/17/14 05:39 PM Re: How do yall keep your turrets from spinning? [Re: NTXBowfisher]
NTXBowfisher Offline
Veteran Tracker

I agree, I had checked the zero the day before but the windage turret got turned about 4-5 clicks which was enough to ruin the shot at that distance.

for you zero stop guys, do you set the zero stop on the windage turret? I did on the elevation but not the windage. (I'm a long range shooting/hunting newb BTW)

#5427148 - 11/17/14 05:40 PM Re: How do yall keep your turrets from spinning? [Re: ChadTRG42]
NTXBowfisher Offline
Veteran Tracker

Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42
Always check your turrets before shooting, or once at your shooting location. You can also get a scope cover, that goes over the scope. I have a padded one that snaps over just the scope, and can go with the rifle wherever it goes.

It's one of these:

https://www.triadtactical.com/Triad-Padded-Scope-and-Muzzle-Cover.html

that looks pretty awesome, do you carry it by cover? i see the handle on top and it looks like it straps down front and back

#5427195 - 11/17/14 05:57 PM Re: How do yall keep your turrets from spinning? [Re: NTXBowfisher]
dawaba Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Big Eddy Road, Noonday
The obvious answer is: forget the turrets altogether. They are an unnecessary encumbrance for general hunting. Go with the tried and true "maximum point blank range" concept and worry no more.

Now, if you're obsessed with the LR game, or if you enjoy prairie dog shooting, then turrets have their place. Otherwise, they're just another gimmick that will cause you grief, that is unless you are an OCD type that enjoys confusion and check-off lists.

If you must have turrets, as I do with my PD rifles, just be anal-retentive about checking your zero.....or affix a bit of tape to secure the wayward turret.

#5427690 - 11/17/14 08:37 PM Re: How do yall keep your turrets from spinning? [Re: NTXBowfisher]
603Country Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Central Texas
Having followed this chat, while thinking that my Vortex PSP hasn't ever spun a turret, I went out to the workshop to get my gear and go to the woods. Checked the turrets. Windage had been moved a couple of clicks. Guess I'd better check regularly.

#5428148 - 11/18/14 06:28 AM Re: How do yall keep your turrets from spinning? [Re: NTXBowfisher]
daniel1381 Online   content
Extreme Tracker

Loc: longview texas
After sighting my vortex in I reset the turrets back to zero and that way if they move I know it should be set to zero.

"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain - and most fools do."

Benjamin Franklin

#5428204 - 11/18/14 07:11 AM Re: How do yall keep your turrets from spinning? [Re: NTXBowfisher]
dee Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Red River way
I have zero issues with my NightForce, the Bushnell Elite Tac (older sfp) the turrets are much easier to turn but it's on a bench gun of sorts. I gave my dad a Leupold MK4 he hasn't had any issues for 2 years of riding in the truck but they don't have much resistance. Imo the key is always having them zeroed.

#5428563 - 11/18/14 09:37 AM Re: How do yall keep your turrets from spinning? [Re: NTXBowfisher]
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Lewisville, TX
"forget the turrets....., they're just another gimmick....." Interesting!

If you check your turrets, problem solved. I do it ALL the time.
I ran a Burris XTR scope for a while. I liked the scope, but I couldn't stand how easy it was to spin the turrets. They would move if you looked at them almost. I had to sell it since it was too big a scope for a hunting gun.

www.DallasReloads.com
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL

#5428578 - 11/18/14 09:44 AM Re: How do yall keep your turrets from spinning? [Re: ChadTRG42]
daniel1381 Online   content
Extreme Tracker

Loc: longview texas
[quote=ChadTRG42]"forget the turrets....., they're just another gimmick....." Interesting!

popcorn

"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain - and most fools do."

Benjamin Franklin

#5428603 - 11/18/14 09:52 AM Re: How do yall keep your turrets from spinning? [Re: dawaba]
TRIJI....WHAT Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Texas
Originally Posted By: dawaba
The obvious answer is: forget the turrets altogether. They are an unnecessary encumbrance for general hunting. Go with the tried and true "maximum point blank range" concept and worry no more.

Now, if you're obsessed with the LR game, or if you enjoy prairie dog shooting, then turrets have their place. Otherwise, they're just another gimmick that will cause you grief, that is unless you are an OCD type that enjoys confusion and check-off lists.

If you must have turrets, as I do with my PD rifles, just be anal-retentive about checking your zero.....or affix a bit of tape to secure the wayward turret.

This guy gets it......On hunting rifles closed turrets work best. You don't have to worry about them getting knocked off or spun. I just had this conversation with a gunsmith and the answer is that simple. For a true hunting rifle get some great glass with closed turrets. End of story and move along.

#5428645 - 11/18/14 10:09 AM Re: How do yall keep your turrets from spinning? [Re: NTXBowfisher]
WhoDat Offline
Woodsman

To be honest, I now buy scopes IN-SPITE OF them having turrets, for this reason. I now have quite a few turret scopes, and this issue is just one more thing to worry about, when hunting. IMOHO, it introduces unnecessary hassles and headaches in a hunting rifle. Of my entire collection, I thing I own two rifles where I actually use the turrets (a SAS 308 and a 20" WYLDE SPR), both are Vortex. It just makes hassles at the range, and on the field, with the rest of my rifles. Can't tell you how many times I sighted a rifle in, and subsequently forgot to zero said rifle, leaving a situation where I had to zero the dang thing again... I know, user error, but still a PITA.

And what's up with the trend to put tower turrets on 1-4x glass? That's something I just don't get...

#5428917 - 11/18/14 12:06 PM Re: How do yall keep your turrets from spinning? [Re: NTXBowfisher]
Theringworm Offline
Bird Dog

They are expensive, but some of the S&B scopes have locking turrets.

#5428930 - 11/18/14 12:11 PM Re: How do yall keep your turrets from spinning? [Re: NTXBowfisher]
Kenneth1977 Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Alvarado,TX
I check mine every time i get in the stand but have not had a problem with them moving at all so far.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide