Forum Stats
60482 Members
45 Forums
476270 Topics
6247750 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#5425721 - 11/17/14 08:19 AM Deer processing... I might be done.
jdk1985 Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Waco, TX
I'm getting mighty close to quitting doing it myself. My time is worth more than the $70 it takes to have the processor do it from start to finish, vacuum sealed and all that. I'm meticulous; it just takes me too dang long. I spend from 2-10pm quartering, butchering, etc etc yesterday. I'd rather spend that time hunting or enjoying family, or, heck, maybe even working.

I'll keep making my own jerky and sausage and what not, of course.

#5425734 - 11/17/14 08:29 AM Re: Deer processing... I might be done. [Re: jdk1985]
postoak Online   content
Veteran Tracker

Loc: The Woodlands, Tx
Yeah, if you pay for sausage though, it costs more than double that $70.

#5425746 - 11/17/14 08:31 AM Re: Deer processing... I might be done. [Re: postoak]
jdk1985 Offline
THF Celebrity

Originally Posted By: postoak
Yeah, if you pay for sausage though, it costs more than double that $70.

No joke. That's why I'll keep making my own sausage and jerky, etc. They can do the butcher work though.

I'm actually tagged out in TX this year, so this is looking forward to next year or hunting in OK.

#5427076 - 11/17/14 05:15 PM Re: Deer processing... I might be done. [Re: jdk1985]
Slow Drifter Online   content

Loc: Central Texas
I'm with you. I have mine basic processed these days. That way I can go ahead and get it in nice vacuum packed packages in the freezer, enjoy the rest of the weekend, and make whatever I want out of it on my own schedule. My weekend hours carry a premium price.

A. Einstein

#5427217 - 11/17/14 06:03 PM Re: Deer processing... I might be done. [Re: jdk1985]
Simple Searcher Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Helotes, Hext
My issue with processors (although they rarely admit it), is that I want my deer.
A lot of them pool the meat all into the same batch. Everyone that I have asked finally admitted it.
I do not want someone's stinky old deer that they found the next day after gut shooting it. I want mine.
That is why I quit going to processors. And getting big old buck backstraps back when I shot a young doe. Nope, not for me. And getting only a few backstraps steaks when there should be a handful. Again, not for me.
I have had questionable dealings with almost every processor that I have dealt with except one and he is out of business (he got old). So my bad experiences make me a bit biased.

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark

#5427232 - 11/17/14 06:12 PM Re: Deer processing... I might be done. [Re: jdk1985]
Luke27 Offline
Woodsman

Loc: Sweetwater, Texas
Hillcountry sporting goods in Llano is awesome. Clay does awesome taxidermy work to. My nephew works there so I know first hand the meat you drop off is the meat you pick up.

#5428281 - 11/18/14 07:52 AM Re: Deer processing... I might be done. [Re: Simple Searcher]
jdk1985 Offline
THF Celebrity

Originally Posted By: Simple Searcher
My issue with processors (although they rarely admit it), is that I want my deer.
A lot of them pool the meat all into the same batch. Everyone that I have asked finally admitted it.
I do not want someone's stinky old deer that they found the next day after gut shooting it. I want mine.
That is why I quit going to processors. And getting big old buck backstraps back when I shot a young doe. Nope, not for me. And getting only a few backstraps steaks when there should be a handful. Again, not for me.
I have had questionable dealings with almost every processor that I have dealt with except one and he is out of business (he got old). So my bad experiences make me a bit biased.

I understand that. I think I've been fortunate to have a good processor here.

#5428616 - 11/18/14 09:57 AM Re: Deer processing... I might be done. [Re: jdk1985]
TRIJI....WHAT Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Texas
Originally Posted By: jdk1985
I'm getting mighty close to quitting doing it myself. My time is worth more than the $70 it takes to have the processor do it from start to finish, vacuum sealed and all that. I'm meticulous; it just takes me too dang long. I spend from 2-10pm quartering, butchering, etc etc yesterday. I'd rather spend that time hunting or enjoying family, or, heck, maybe even working.

I started doing my own processing years ago. I actually like the time it takes to break it all down because I get time with my dad. We both work on it and it is a great time had between us. I will miss that time when it comes.

#5428658 - 11/18/14 10:13 AM Re: Deer processing... I might be done. [Re: jdk1985]
PMK Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Central TX (Gtown/Austin)
no telling how many deer my dad, mom and I processed over my first ~40 years of hunting (4+ people's tags filled, so quite a few), including various types of sausage. The last few years of my dad's life, he took one of my nephew's deer to a processor since I wasn't around to help out with all the work. He called me and told me we were done processing our own, it was just too cheap to have done and it would allow more time for other things including family time. I haven't processed one since and that's been about 12 years ago. My son and son-in-law have made recent comments about wanting to learn how to do their own, so that may be in the cards at some point in time for their education. Of course, dad sold all his processing stuff (grinders, stuffers, seasoning (dang I wish I had some of those old recipes!!!), etc.) ... so that will be a chore to rebuild the equipment & recipes.

yes, it was a lot of work but time spent with those you love is priceless ... I have found a few really good processor's that I trust and know that I will only get my own venison back when I pick it up, not a question in my mind.

~PMK~

#5428660 - 11/18/14 10:13 AM Re: Deer processing... I might be done. [Re: TRIJI....WHAT]
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Richmond
Originally Posted By: TRIJI....WHAT
Originally Posted By: jdk1985

I started doing my own processing years ago. I actually like the time it takes to break it all down because I get time with my dad. We both work on it and it is a great time had between us. I will miss that time when it comes.

I didn't mind doing mine. I left the bones at the camp and came home with boneless meat. I no longer hunt them.

#5429201 - 11/18/14 01:51 PM Re: Deer processing... I might be done. [Re: Luke27]
QuitShootinYoungBucks Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Lubbock, TX
Originally Posted By: Luke27
Hillcountry sporting goods in Llano is awesome. Clay does awesome taxidermy work to. My nephew works there so I know first hand the meat you drop off is the meat you pick up.

Nice website.

Seriously, this is 2014. It's not hard, people, and if it is, then pay a HS kid $50-75 and get 'er done.

#5429367 - 11/18/14 02:43 PM Re: Deer processing... I might be done. [Re: jdk1985]
jdk1985 Offline
THF Celebrity

It's not that I don't like doing it - I actually do like it - or that I cannot do it. If I happen to have the time, I'll be happy to do it myself. But, the time saved by spending a few dollars at the processor is money well spent in my book, assuming you have a good processor. Presumably with more practice I'd get faster, but there are better things I can do with my time.

Plus, I don't have a great way at the moment to store a deer for a few days to age before I butcher it, other than storing it in the processor's cold storage. I don't like the "quarter it and throw it on melting, watery ice" mentality.

#5431821 - 11/19/14 04:14 PM Re: Deer processing... I might be done. [Re: jdk1985]
redchevy Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Texas
If it takes you from 2-10 to break down a deer then your doing something wrong. In that time I think I could take more than one deer from live and kicking to stuffed in links on the grill.

We typically gut skin quarter and debone our deer as we kill then and freeze them then thaw and grind and make sausage etc at the end of the season.

Like someone else said it is a family tradition for us get together with dad and brother and get after it. As life goes on I get to see my dad and brother less and less, id rather work with them than play by myself.

#5431999 - 11/19/14 06:08 PM Re: Deer processing... I might be done. [Re: jdk1985]
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Richmond
I've known people who gave up the tenderloin and never gutted their deer. That's just not my cup of tea.

#5432694 - 11/20/14 05:16 AM Re: Deer processing... I might be done. [Re: bill oxner]
jdk1985 Offline
THF Celebrity

Originally Posted By: bill oxner
I've known people who gave up the tenderloin and never gutted their deer. That's just not my cup of tea.

Yeah, I don't understand that either. I have a friend who does it. Makes zero sense to me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide