Exotic Prices? #5425454 11/17/14 05:31 AM
K
Kobus Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
K
Hey guys,
I've been wondering, are exotic prices going to continue to blow up over the years? Some of them IMO are ridiculous, but that's to me at least...What factors are causing it? What factors would cause prices to go down?
For example I shot my Nile Lechwe bull four years ago for half of what most outfitters are asking for them now...same story with my Waterbuck, Red Lechwe, White-Bearded Wildebeest, Springbok, Dama Gazelle, etc. and the biggest price difference? My fallows and sikas. I've seen fallows going for 6k-7k!
What species will go up price wise?

Re: Exotic Prices? [Re: Kobus] #5425480 11/17/14 05:57 AM
B
BBD84 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
If people continue to pay it the prices will continue to rise, you cant find an axis doe alive right now for less than $450 95% of the time but everyone wants them at $300 to hunt. Fallow prices are crazy right now but i think that will slow down in the next couple years and get back to normal in line with everything else.

Texas Elite Outfitters.
281-924-9720
Re: Exotic Prices? [Re: Kobus] #5425513 11/17/14 06:39 AM
P
PBGSO Offline
Tracker
Tracker
P
I have been selling some axis doe for 300.00 350.00 it's easier to do the hunts in the offseason though. I really haven't had my usual calls for axis though. It's been elk cows and bison cows. And they are sky high very high demand almost impossible to find them. The meat market is high.
I think the fallow will be high for a while and the market as a whole will be high and even higher for a while. Supply and demand. I hunt on 40-50 ranches and the supply is low. Compared to where fallow are hunted elsewhere in the world Texas has been cheap.

When I have other ranches calling me looking for animals and will pay me close to what I am charging the market is high because I know they are marking those animals up. The oilfield has driven a lot of the spike lots of money floating around and honestly I don't know that the prices will go down. Think about ebola the African market is going to take a hit over that and I think more people will be looking to hunt Texas the next few years because of that. The only way it may change is if the oilfield shuts down. So I think get ready for even higher prices on pretty much everything.

Offering year round hunting for native and exotic species in Texas!
www.huntsintexas.com
Re: Exotic Prices? [Re: Kobus] #5425805 11/17/14 02:54 PM
M
Mr. T. Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
M
I have two not so intelligent questions, (stupid,). 1 when speaking of black bucks, what does the term "barn ready," mean? Two, what is the going rate for me to be able to buy a starter herd of two bucks and 4 does.

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: Exotic Prices? [Re: Mr. T.] #5426124 11/17/14 04:24 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: Mr. T.
I have two not so intelligent questions, (stupid,). 1 when speaking of black bucks, what does the term "barn ready," mean? Two, what is the going rate for me to be able to buy a starter herd of two bucks and 4 does.
Barn ready is usually already caught and price depends on age and look. And probably be better to only get one male unless they are young.

Re: Exotic Prices? [Re: Kobus] #5426152 11/17/14 04:33 PM
C
chital_shikari Offline
Minor in training
Minor in training
C
Lol my dad often says this: "Everything is going up(cost) except for my paycheck."
roflmao

Re: Exotic Prices? [Re: Kobus] #5426302 11/17/14 05:23 PM
T
TonyinVA Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: Kobus
Hey guys,
I've been wondering, are exotic prices going to continue to blow up over the years? Some of them IMO are ridiculous, but that's to me at least...What factors are causing it? What factors would cause prices to go down?
For example I shot my Nile Lechwe bull four years ago for half of what most outfitters are asking for them now...same story with my Waterbuck, Red Lechwe, White-Bearded Wildebeest, Springbok, Dama Gazelle, etc. and the biggest price difference? My fallows and sikas. I've seen fallows going for 6k-7k!
What species will go up price wise?

Simple case of supply and demand....and the health of the overall economy (by that I mean people have disposable income to spend on things) ...... at that is my view.

Re: Exotic Prices? [Re: Kobus] #5426411 11/17/14 06:07 PM
Curtis Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I think it really started to hit after 2011 and when we had the drought over a large area of Texas. That drought along with a demand that was already high for the hunts, created a time for ranches to sell a lot more stock than normal. The supply is just not there today because ranches were selling young stock and too much of it was sold. When you sell off your yearlings and too many of them, you just don't recover that in 3-5 years to have enough for the trophy demand that has picked up since then.
The oil field is slowing a little bit but as soon as the price per barrel goes back up they will pick up on drilling and entertaining even more. It's still hot, just not where it was a year ago for my area.

Last edited by Curtis; 11/17/14 06:08 PM.

Double Arrow Bow Hunting
www.doublearrowbowhunting.com
Bow hunters welcome!
Whitetail-Axis-Blackbuck-Fallow-Barasingha-Scimitar Oryx
Located in Gonzales County.
Visit our Facebook page for current updates!

Re: Exotic Prices? [Re: Kobus] #5427810 11/18/14 03:24 AM
T
Txnrog Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
I think Curtis is spot on. The market moves on supply and demand like any other market. We just happen to be in a down cycle of supply and an up cycle in demand. It will reverse at some point.

IMO the oilfield $ has brought a lot of demand for trophies, but it's also hit stockers as well. You have more fences going up east of I-35, and a number of the larger places getting broken into 100-500 acre tracts and a fence has almost become a given on a place that size. This is effectively creating more habitat (demand) for exotics. It's not hard to pick out the guys who just bought one of these ranchettes at the big auctions

I think the whitetail industry has also helped this trend as well since you can have exotics and big deer on the same property if you are buying the big deer - so it's not entirely an either/or question (though not entirely sustainable).

As with anything else, this cycle will change. I remember prices on bigger animals in the drought years were ridiculously cheap - you could hardly give away stuff like elk cows, red stag, eland, Pere David's etc - that was less than 3 years ago, so you can't say this is a sustained boom to any extent yet.

Re: Exotic Prices? [Re: Kobus] #5434150 11/20/14 11:44 PM
K
Kobus Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
K
Thanks guys.
What do you expect things to go up to?

Re: Exotic Prices? [Re: Kobus] #5434182 11/21/14 12:02 AM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: Kobus
Thanks guys.
What do you expect things to go up to?
IMO there is no way to predict a price. The market will. It will get to a price and when animals quit selling for that price the market will go down. Quality animals will always command good money. Certain types of Exotics will always be expensive. It is all cycles. Some get hot like the large birds did. Pot bellied pigs were hot for a while. Right now Ibex are. Who knows what the next hot Exotic will be. If you do you can make good money but if you get in too late you can loose your rear.

Re: Exotic Prices? [Re: Kobus] #5434451 11/21/14 02:41 AM
B
bghunter3 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
I know for me the price of hunting free range non exotic game such as elk mule deer moose etc has gotten so expensive it has basically priced me out of hunting them so I have started to look at exotics

I know you can go diy for some species, but there is a reason that does not work for me, so I have switched to exotic and even out of the country

Plus I really like texas

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide