Main Menu
Newest Members
Grayson County Pig hunts, roundrocktreecare, dayton25, papermate4, Geronimo Grain
60027 Registered Users
Top Posters
dogcatcher 76354
stxranchman 51852
RWH24 44568
rifleman 43691
BOBO the Clown 40885
BMD 40536
Big Orn 37484
txshntr 33518
bill oxner 31820
sig226fan ( 30454
Forum Stats
60027 Members
45 Forums
470898 Topics
6177525 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#5425413 - 11/16/14 11:07 PM BitterSweet...first deer and first buck
txshntr Online   content
T-Rex Arms

Loc: Mansfield, Texas
I will try to make a long story short...

I have been taking my niece hunting with me for as long as I can remember. She is the little blond girl in the signature picture with the wide buck. I have had the pleasure of watching her grow and spending alot of time in the woods with her. One of the best natured kids I know, listens well and learns fast. She was always tender hearted and didn't want to take a deer, was iffy about being with someone when an animal was taken, but absolutely loved going to the lease and sitting in the stands.

Last year, she informed her mom that she wanted to shoot a deer. She was ready...So, we spent alot of time in the gravel pits learning all about guns, shooting techniques, etc. Two forum members helped me out tremendously with her. Ramsey gave me a single shot .243, that was one of the kindest offers I have had and SniperRab provided a free box of ammo, which we burned through on the second weekend. I started her off with a .22, worked up to a .22mag, etc until we got to the .243 and she was comfortable. When she would get distracted or bored, we would put everything up and go back to playing. Next time out, same game.

Last year, I did not get the opportunity to sit with her in the stand. Her stepfather took her and sometimes my sister would go with them, but they never got a chance for her to get a good shot. I told them to limit the shots to 80 yards or less to ensure a clean kill on her first one, she was on target out to 125 with no issues but I didn't want to turn her off by wounding and losing a deer. Many good hunts, but the stars didn't align for her.

Fast forward to this year. Her father had planned a December hunt and asked that we help get her ready. Not a problem. Time, schedule, etc didn't allow us as much time as I would have liked, but figured she would be at the lease and we could get her on a deer before his paid hunt. As it turned out, he lined up a lease down near Ft. Stockton and he was taken her this weekend. I told my sister to explain to the father the limitations, but past experience made me pretty sure my advice would not be heeded. (Thankfully, it wasn't needed).

We got a text on Friday morning that she had shot a deer. No picture, no details, just a few simple words. Excitement set in, but after about 5 hours of waiting for details or a picture, it turned to irritation. After 9 years of taking this kid hunting, just ticked me off that they would leave me with that and provide no updates. Finally, we got a picture of her and the doe. Simply outstanding!!!

That evening, another text came through and it said she got a buck and they were going to track it down...again, no updates and no pics. We never did get a picture of it, but we finally got a little more information about the size and they had found it. Outstanding again!!!

Their cell service was limited at best, but she had tried to call all of us and couldn't get through. Kind of made me sad that she wasn't able to share her experience and tell her mama all about it until she got home, but she was still stoked when she got home.

They were heading home and texted that they were driving straight to the processor. I went and picked up my dad and my sister met us there until they showed up. It was all high fives and congrats again. She was on cloud 9 all over again, posing for pictures and telling the story.

Now for a short version of the bitter part...the father and my sister have been divorced for about 8 years I believe. I have not spoken to the father since the divorce, and it was an ugly one. I won't bore you with the details, but there is a damn good reason I don't talk to him and it isn't because of the divorce, lawsuits, and other crap him and his family pulled, it was because of the way he treated my niece. Granted, I was dang excited for her and the memory she will have of her first deer with her father, but I just don't feel like he deserved it. Basically, all the reward and none of the work. But for her to be able to have a great memory like that with a man that hasn't given her very many, that almost makes it worth it and I would never take that away from her. I just would have loved to share in the moment and been a little happier if it had been with my sister and the stepfather...

Anyway, enough of that crap...the story from her

She missed her first shot ever at a deer. A doe walked out at a little over 100 yards and she shot just under it. She was pretty bummed about it, but 5 minutes later another doe walked out in almost the same spot. She put the gun back out the window, squeezed off the trigger and the deer dropped in it's tracks!!! 110 yards and her first deer ever on the ground.

That evening, they went to another stand and as it got a little later, a buck came out. That is when the shaking started...she tried to aim, but had to take second and finally let one fly. She handed the gun to her father so he could rack another shell and she let another fly....four shots later, the buck was still on its feet and she was shaking worse than ever. One bullet left and she put it on its chest and dropped him at 150 yards!!!

It was a pleasure to hear the story and I can't wait to get in the stand with her so that I can hear it again. Here are some pictures of her trophies and yes, the buck is going on the wall.

As a side note, the gun has some art work. It was not done by my niece, but by her soon to be stepmom. And the smudged area has her name on it, it isn't painted like that grin

#5425420 - 11/16/14 11:12 PM Re: BitterSweet...first deer and first buck [Re: txshntr]
SapperTitan Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Killeen/Ft Hood, TX
Great story and pics.
Originally Posted By: bill oxner
I could never repay you for the pleasure I've gotten out of your meat package.

#5425421 - 11/16/14 11:13 PM Re: BitterSweet...first deer and first buck [Re: txshntr]
stxranchman Online   content
Obie Juan Kenobi

cheers Great story. Congrats to her on her first deer and buck. cheers

#5425439 - 11/16/14 11:21 PM Re: BitterSweet...first deer and first buck [Re: txshntr]
jdk1985 Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Waco, TX
Glad she was successful!!! Hopefully she can be successful with you in the stand/blind as well!

#5425449 - 11/16/14 11:28 PM Re: BitterSweet...first deer and first buck [Re: txshntr]
cibolo Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: central texas
Great that she got her first deer and buck. No doubt though she knows who the people are that made her the little person she is. You know how her real dad is but she will have to see that for herself and she will at some point but at least you gave her the tools to impress her dad and swell her heart with pride.
"Error of Opinion may be tolerated where Reason is left free to combat it." - Thomas Jefferson
"If we ever forget that we're one nation under GOD, then we will be a nation gone under." - Ronald Reagan

#5425487 - 11/17/14 12:04 AM Re: BitterSweet...first deer and first buck [Re: txshntr]
dogcatcher Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Abilene or on the road...
Congrats to her.
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
"Illegitimus non carborundum est"

_______ Old style calls for today's outdoorsman_________

#5425502 - 11/17/14 12:28 AM Re: BitterSweet...first deer and first buck [Re: txshntr]
Tactical Cowboy Online   content
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Abilene
Dude.. I like that stock on the rifle!!
Hardcast bullets for sale!

The secret to a long life is to try not to shorten it

#5425555 - 11/17/14 05:40 AM Re: BitterSweet...first deer and first buck [Re: txshntr]
Stub Online   content
THF Celebrity

Congrats to your niece on her first harvest up I am sure you would have liked to have been there, but still very cool cheers
This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave. ~Elmer Davis

#5425560 - 11/17/14 05:44 AM Re: BitterSweet...first deer and first buck [Re: txshntr]
cmc Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Graham to Arlington
Always good when a kid gets their first deer when they are still that young. She has a lot of hunting ahead of her.

#5425567 - 11/17/14 05:59 AM Re: BitterSweet...first deer and first buck [Re: SapperTitan]
kry226 Online   content

Loc: Germany
Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
Great story and pics.

#5425593 - 11/17/14 06:30 AM Re: BitterSweet...first deer and first buck [Re: txshntr]
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Dollas,Taxes Bluff Dale Tx
What a beautiful young lady. And a nice buck to boot. You're a great Uncle, txshntr. I know you're proud. up

Edited by Erathkid (11/17/14 06:31 AM)
Life is too short, as is. Don't chance it.
Don't text and drive.

#5425599 - 11/17/14 06:36 AM Re: BitterSweet...first deer and first buck [Re: txshntr]
Elkhunter49 Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Oak Harbor, Slidell La
Thanks for sharing such a great story. Congrats to the young lady on her deer. Baker
A true friend reaches for your hand but touches your heart.

#5425670 - 11/17/14 07:53 AM Re: BitterSweet...first deer and first buck [Re: txshntr]
Drop Tine Online   content
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Denton,Tx
That's awesome Dave. So happy for your niece! Make sure she knows how excited we are for her!!

#5425681 - 11/17/14 07:58 AM Re: BitterSweet...first deer and first buck [Re: Drop Tine]
GUTIT Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Caddo Mills, Texas
First class Sir, First class.
Stronghold Construction Group
Commercial and Residential Project Management
Managing all your construction needs

#5425686 - 11/17/14 08:02 AM Re: BitterSweet...first deer and first buck [Re: Tactical Cowboy]
txshntr Online   content
T-Rex Arms

Loc: Mansfield, Texas
Thanks everyone!!! She still has plenty of hunting ahead of her and she will be at our place over Thanksgiving. Can't wait to get her out there. Despite the other stuff, we are still overly excited for her. Her buck will be headed to the Taxi today.

Originally Posted By: Tactical Cowboy
Dude.. I like that stock on the rifle!!

The gun is a .257 Roberts that was her Great grandfathers on her dads side. Her father gave it to her as her first gun and they did a little customizing to make it special for her.

Thanks again everyone!!! Always fun to share the experiences cheers

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide