Page 1 of 2 1 2
How far away do you park your ATV? #5425327 11/17/14 04:10 AM
G
Garza County Hunter Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
G
Curious -- for those of you who go to the stand by a 4-wheeler or ranger, how far away do you park it? I have tried various distances/parking places and haven't really noticed a difference in activity. It is nice to have a shirt walk on cold mornings like today, especially with the boys (5 & 9).

Also, explain the purpose of "Corning" the road on the way in?

Re: How far away do you park your ATV? [Re: Garza County Hunter] #5425354 11/17/14 04:22 AM
S
southtexascracker Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
Depends on the stand. If it's a spot I can see a lot of ground, where deer may move to and from bedding areas, ill corn those areas and then I don't worry about how far away I park since I already drove all over the area.

If the stand is the type of stand that the only movement your likely to see is at the feeder, and I don't drive thru the area to corn, I park as far as I can stand to walk and make as little disturbance as possible getting to the stand.

Short answer, some stands the benefit of Corning roads is worth disturbing the areas, others it's not and your better off being as inconspicuous as possible.

Re: How far away do you park your ATV? [Re: Garza County Hunter] #5425360 11/17/14 04:24 AM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Some folks corn the road the roads to train the deer to come to the road feeders and not associated the vehicle with danger, but as a diner bell.

As far as distance parked, completely depends on the terrain and stand location. I have one that I park within 200 yards and one that I park 1/2 mile away.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: How far away do you park your ATV? [Re: Garza County Hunter] #5425368 11/17/14 04:33 AM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
I leave the ATV at camp and park my truck about 1/4 mile away. If the conditions are too wet for the truck, I take the ATV but park in the same spot.

I have watched deer that came trotting from the same direction as the sounds of a ATV, and saw a definite increase in deer sightings by riding less and walking more.

Besides, the exercise is good for me and I have no fear of the dark.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: How far away do you park your ATV? [Re: Garza County Hunter] #5425376 11/17/14 04:36 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
I have one location the spot I park is less than 50' from the blind and I have had only 1 deer see the UTV in 3 seasons. The other blinds I have to park about 200 yards away. It usually takes some time sitting in the blind to tell what areas most of the deer come in from. Once you have that down then you can find the best spot. I like to cut a hole into the thicker brush in an ell shape.
I use corn/protein feeders to feed and keep the deer around the stands. I corn the roads with a feeder to spread the deer out and put them where I want them. I can corn according to the wind also if I have a good buck at a feeder that the wind might be marginal to hunt that day. I corn blinds on the way to the area I am going to hunt also. That way the deer are used to me driving through. I have using a road feeder since 1989 and corning roads since the early 1980's with a bucket and coffee can.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: How far away do you park your ATV? [Re: stxranchman] #5425400 11/17/14 04:56 AM
K
KG68 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
Ya'll you are gonna laugh at this one. We have one blind mounted on a trailer we call the trophy wagon that we move around every year or so to what we think may be hot spots. We keep it mostly in open coastal fields that the deer like to travel. Tons of our deer leave the brush and spend the night in open fields. Not sure why but I assume to get where they can see predators coming. We sit up a feeder with it as well. I park my Ranger crew behind it during the week so the old snorty does get use to it. It sticks out a foot on both ends. Would you believe they don't pay any attention to it on weekends? laugh

Re: How far away do you park your ATV? [Re: Garza County Hunter] #5425414 11/17/14 05:08 AM
T
TreeBass Offline
Old Weller
Old Weller
T
I park my golf cart about 30yds in front of my stand, right next to a path frequented by does, turkey, and hogs. They only see the tail end since I cut a "parking spot" years ago in a big cedar.

They are used to seeing it, and I've only had one young buck not like it there. and yea, I corn my roads in both pastures coming in

[Linked Image]

My success in life is measured by the number of hunting
and fishing stories that my kids can share with others...

Like the THF on Facebook - www.facebook.com/texashuntingforum
Grizzly Coolers
Re: How far away do you park your ATV? [Re: stxranchman] #5425442 11/17/14 05:23 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: KG68
Ya'll you are gonna laugh at this one. We have one blind mounted on a trailer we call the trophy wagon that we move around every year or so to what we think may be hot spots. We keep it mostly in open coastal fields that the deer like to travel. Tons of our deer leave the brush and spend the night in open fields. Not sure why but I assume to get where they can see predators coming. We sit up a feeder with it as well. I park my Ranger crew behind it during the week so the old snorty does get use to it. It sticks out a foot on both ends. Would you believe they don't pay any attention to it on weekends? laugh

Youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu might be a Redneck if your deer blind is on a trailer and... rofl

Re: How far away do you park your ATV? [Re: KG68] #5425452 11/17/14 05:30 AM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms

Think you meant to quote this post STX....rofl

Re: How far away do you park your ATV? [Re: Garza County Hunter] #5425510 11/17/14 06:39 AM
F
Finfeathernfurr Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
F
The old Folgers or hill brothers trick. It works every time. To tell you the truth I think it all depends on how pressured the deer are where you are hunting. If they are accustomed to vehicles moving in and out of the area that they live in it's not going to bother them at all I'll park about 100 yards from my stand for bow hunting and when I got out last week there was a trail of tracks that look like the Deer had a parade rite down the door of my truck. There were at least six different deer that had walked within 2 feet of it I am almost certain I saw them at my feeder as they came through. So I am pretty sure this will vary greatly regionally.

Re: How far away do you park your ATV? [Re: KG68] #5425628 11/17/14 01:08 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: txshntr

Think you meant to quote this post STX....rofl

I thought I did roflmao I got a phone call right as I was about to make the post and added the wrong hammer dang quote. rofl

Re: How far away do you park your ATV? [Re: Garza County Hunter] #5425784 11/17/14 02:47 PM
Z
ZK-315 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Z
I park my truck about 10 feet from my stand. The wife said she didn't want to make a long walk in the cold in the mornings, so she cleared out a spot in the brush right behind the stand. I was pretty skeptical about it, but I've had 3 different 8 points, a doe, and a pig walk right past the truck, look at it, and keep on walking right down to the feeder. Didn't seem to bother them at all.

Re: How far away do you park your ATV? [Re: Garza County Hunter] #5425811 11/17/14 02:56 PM
S
SniperRAB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
I have a little cut out in the cedars about 10-12 foot from the stand, I have does that will eat Alphalfa and Corn out of the ranger if I leave it in.. Chum like there's no tomorrow, Ye who feeds the most wins

Re: How far away do you park your ATV? [Re: ZK-315] #5425814 11/17/14 02:57 PM
S
SniperRAB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: ZK-315
I park my truck about 10 feet from my stand. The wife said she didn't want to make a long walk in the cold in the mornings, so she cleared out a spot in the brush right behind the stand. I was pretty skeptical about it, but I've had 3 different 8 points, a doe, and a pig walk right past the truck, look at it, and keep on walking right down to the feeder. Didn't seem to bother them at all.

Deer don't care on a working Ranch

Re: How far away do you park your ATV? [Re: ZK-315] #5425817 11/17/14 02:57 PM
D
dawaba Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D

I park as close as I can too. Most deer are accustomed to vehicle traffic, whether it be from ranch trucks or oil well pumpers. After you corn the area around your stand, the deer will usually trot off a few hundred yards and then return as soon as you shut down the truck. So, the quicker you can get into your stand, the better. IME, a hunter on foot sneaking into his stand will alarm deer so thoroughly that they'll clear out and won't return. After a vehicle passes through, however, they'll come right back.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple.....and wrong." H. L. Mencken
Re: How far away do you park your ATV? [Re: Garza County Hunter] #5425884 11/17/14 03:17 PM
T
TxYoteHunter Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
20 feet from my tower blind. Watched 3 does walk within 5 feet of my truck as they cut across the pasture. 1 coyote walked right beside it just before he met Mr. Bullet. 15 turkey's went right behind it. Doesn't seem to bother anything at my place.

Re: How far away do you park your ATV? [Re: Garza County Hunter] #5425888 11/17/14 03:18 PM
S
SniperRAB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
You want your Deer to be used to a certain degree of Activity especially your Does, you are gonna have Bucks that hit 4 1/2- 5 1/2 and they are gonna go Nocturnal plain and simple hence why the Rut is so critical, Those Bucks get nervous when they get a drink of water and see there reflection nothing you can do...but I like the Girls to be calm, I have several that are on Obama care and come up and eat out of your hand for a free lunch..

Re: How far away do you park your ATV? [Re: SniperRAB] #5425913 11/17/14 03:23 PM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Originally Posted By: SniperRAB
You want your Deer to be used to a certain degree of Activity especially your Does, you are gonna have Bucks that hit 4 1/2- 5 1/2 and they are gonna go Nocturnal plain and simple hence why the Rut is so critical, Those Bucks get nervous when they get a drink of water and see there reflection nothing you can do...but I like the Girls to be calm, I have several that are on Obama care and come up and eat out of your hand for a free lunch..

rofl And then you run back to your stand and shoot them at 383 yards...in the head

Re: How far away do you park your ATV? [Re: Garza County Hunter] #5425930 11/17/14 03:28 PM
S
SniperRAB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
That Bad confused2 roflmao

Its good to thin the gene pool of all the Window Lickers right

Re: How far away do you park your ATV? [Re: dawaba] #5425940 11/17/14 03:31 PM
J
JRJ6 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
Originally Posted By: dawaba

I park as close as I can too. Most deer are accustomed to vehicle traffic, whether it be from ranch trucks or oil well pumpers. After you corn the area around your stand, the deer will usually trot off a few hundred yards and then return as soon as you shut down the truck. So, the quicker you can get into your stand, the better. IME, a hunter on foot sneaking into his stand will alarm deer so thoroughly that they'll clear out and won't return. After a vehicle passes through, however, they'll come right back.

This is very true on a working cattle or gas ranch. the deer become very accustomed to vehicle traffic. i also try to park as close as possible on my lease.

Re: How far away do you park your ATV? [Re: Garza County Hunter] #5425947 11/17/14 03:33 PM
B
BadLander Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
I park about 400 yards away and use the walk to get warm!!!

Re: How far away do you park your ATV? [Re: Garza County Hunter] #5425956 11/17/14 03:36 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
depends on the night before

Re: How far away do you park your ATV? [Re: BadLander] #5425962 11/17/14 03:38 PM
S
SniperRAB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: BadLander
I park about 400 yards away and use the walk to get warm!!!

If i had to walk 400 yards Care Flight would be called rofl

I actually enjoy covering some ground on some good Senderos...When its dark I know me, I would fall 9 times if its more than 10 feet bang

Re: How far away do you park your ATV? [Re: Navasot] #5425969 11/17/14 03:39 PM
S
SniperRAB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: Navasot
depends on the night before

roflmao rofl

Re: How far away do you park your ATV? [Re: Garza County Hunter] #5425989 11/17/14 03:44 PM
B
Brian C. Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
Hunting public lands i generally park 1/2 mile away. Two reasons..1 the deer and hogs accociate the sound directly to trouble. 2 it gives me the oppurtunity to still hunt my way out. Be surprised how many times i have filled feezer still hunting to and from the stand.
In the hill country on the other hand just simply had to have it out of sight.

God Bless Texas!!! Godspeed our Military!
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide