Forum Stats
60449 Members
45 Forums
475962 Topics
6243642 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#5425327 - 11/16/14 10:10 PM How far away do you park your ATV?
Garza County Hunter Offline
Light Foot

Curious -- for those of you who go to the stand by a 4-wheeler or ranger, how far away do you park it? I have tried various distances/parking places and haven't really noticed a difference in activity. It is nice to have a shirt walk on cold mornings like today, especially with the boys (5 & 9).

Also, explain the purpose of "Corning" the road on the way in?

#5425354 - 11/16/14 10:22 PM Re: How far away do you park your ATV? [Re: Garza County Hunter]
southtexascracker Offline
Bird Dog

Loc: Live Oak County, TX
Depends on the stand. If it's a spot I can see a lot of ground, where deer may move to and from bedding areas, ill corn those areas and then I don't worry about how far away I park since I already drove all over the area.

If the stand is the type of stand that the only movement your likely to see is at the feeder, and I don't drive thru the area to corn, I park as far as I can stand to walk and make as little disturbance as possible getting to the stand.

Short answer, some stands the benefit of Corning roads is worth disturbing the areas, others it's not and your better off being as inconspicuous as possible.

#5425360 - 11/16/14 10:24 PM Re: How far away do you park your ATV? [Re: Garza County Hunter]
txshntr Online   content
T-Rex Arms

Loc: Mansfield, Texas
Some folks corn the road the roads to train the deer to come to the road feeders and not associated the vehicle with danger, but as a diner bell.

As far as distance parked, completely depends on the terrain and stand location. I have one that I park within 200 yards and one that I park 1/2 mile away.

#5425368 - 11/16/14 10:33 PM Re: How far away do you park your ATV? [Re: Garza County Hunter]
Texas Dan Online   content
THF Celebrity

I leave the ATV at camp and park my truck about 1/4 mile away. If the conditions are too wet for the truck, I take the ATV but park in the same spot.

I have watched deer that came trotting from the same direction as the sounds of a ATV, and saw a definite increase in deer sightings by riding less and walking more.

Besides, the exercise is good for me and I have no fear of the dark.

Spring, Texas

#5425376 - 11/16/14 10:36 PM Re: How far away do you park your ATV? [Re: Garza County Hunter]
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi

I have one location the spot I park is less than 50' from the blind and I have had only 1 deer see the UTV in 3 seasons. The other blinds I have to park about 200 yards away. It usually takes some time sitting in the blind to tell what areas most of the deer come in from. Once you have that down then you can find the best spot. I like to cut a hole into the thicker brush in an ell shape.
I use corn/protein feeders to feed and keep the deer around the stands. I corn the roads with a feeder to spread the deer out and put them where I want them. I can corn according to the wind also if I have a good buck at a feeder that the wind might be marginal to hunt that day. I corn blinds on the way to the area I am going to hunt also. That way the deer are used to me driving through. I have using a road feeder since 1989 and corning roads since the early 1980's with a bucket and coffee can.

#5425400 - 11/16/14 10:56 PM Re: How far away do you park your ATV? [Re: stxranchman]
KG68 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Goldthwaite,Tx
Ya'll you are gonna laugh at this one. We have one blind mounted on a trailer we call the trophy wagon that we move around every year or so to what we think may be hot spots. We keep it mostly in open coastal fields that the deer like to travel. Tons of our deer leave the brush and spend the night in open fields. Not sure why but I assume to get where they can see predators coming. We sit up a feeder with it as well. I park my Ranger crew behind it during the week so the old snorty does get use to it. It sticks out a foot on both ends. Would you believe they don't pay any attention to it on weekends? laugh

#5425414 - 11/16/14 11:08 PM Re: How far away do you park your ATV? [Re: Garza County Hunter]
TreeBass Offline
Old Weller

Loc: Central Texas
I park my golf cart about 30yds in front of my stand, right next to a path frequented by does, turkey, and hogs. They only see the tail end since I cut a "parking spot" years ago in a big cedar.

They are used to seeing it, and I've only had one young buck not like it there. and yea, I corn my roads in both pastures coming in

My success in life is measured by the number of hunting
and fishing stories that my kids can share with others...

Like the THF on Facebook - www.facebook.com/texashuntingforum
Grizzly Coolers
iSolunar

#5425442 - 11/16/14 11:23 PM Re: How far away do you park your ATV? [Re: stxranchman]
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi

Originally Posted By: KG68
Ya'll you are gonna laugh at this one. We have one blind mounted on a trailer we call the trophy wagon that we move around every year or so to what we think may be hot spots. We keep it mostly in open coastal fields that the deer like to travel. Tons of our deer leave the brush and spend the night in open fields. Not sure why but I assume to get where they can see predators coming. We sit up a feeder with it as well. I park my Ranger crew behind it during the week so the old snorty does get use to it. It sticks out a foot on both ends. Would you believe they don't pay any attention to it on weekends? laugh

Youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu might be a Redneck if your deer blind is on a trailer and... rofl

#5425452 - 11/16/14 11:30 PM Re: How far away do you park your ATV? [Re: KG68]
txshntr Online   content
T-Rex Arms

Loc: Mansfield, Texas

Think you meant to quote this post STX....rofl

#5425510 - 11/17/14 12:39 AM Re: How far away do you park your ATV? [Re: Garza County Hunter]
Finfeathernfurr Offline
Bird Dog

The old Folgers or hill brothers trick. It works every time. To tell you the truth I think it all depends on how pressured the deer are where you are hunting. If they are accustomed to vehicles moving in and out of the area that they live in it's not going to bother them at all I'll park about 100 yards from my stand for bow hunting and when I got out last week there was a trail of tracks that look like the Deer had a parade rite down the door of my truck. There were at least six different deer that had walked within 2 feet of it I am almost certain I saw them at my feeder as they came through. So I am pretty sure this will vary greatly regionally.

#5425628 - 11/17/14 07:08 AM Re: How far away do you park your ATV? [Re: KG68]
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi

Originally Posted By: txshntr

Think you meant to quote this post STX....rofl

I thought I did roflmao I got a phone call right as I was about to make the post and added the wrong hammer dang quote. rofl

#5425784 - 11/17/14 08:47 AM Re: How far away do you park your ATV? [Re: Garza County Hunter]
ZK-315 Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Temple...Hunt in Freestone Co.
I park my truck about 10 feet from my stand. The wife said she didn't want to make a long walk in the cold in the mornings, so she cleared out a spot in the brush right behind the stand. I was pretty skeptical about it, but I've had 3 different 8 points, a doe, and a pig walk right past the truck, look at it, and keep on walking right down to the feeder. Didn't seem to bother them at all.

#5425811 - 11/17/14 08:56 AM Re: How far away do you park your ATV? [Re: Garza County Hunter]
SniperRAB Offline
GRAMPS!!!

Loc: Nurturing Biosphere Mothership
I have a little cut out in the cedars about 10-12 foot from the stand, I have does that will eat Alphalfa and Corn out of the ranger if I leave it in.. Chum like there's no tomorrow, Ye who feeds the most wins

#5425814 - 11/17/14 08:57 AM Re: How far away do you park your ATV? [Re: ZK-315]
SniperRAB Offline
GRAMPS!!!

Loc: Nurturing Biosphere Mothership
Originally Posted By: ZK-315
I park my truck about 10 feet from my stand. The wife said she didn't want to make a long walk in the cold in the mornings, so she cleared out a spot in the brush right behind the stand. I was pretty skeptical about it, but I've had 3 different 8 points, a doe, and a pig walk right past the truck, look at it, and keep on walking right down to the feeder. Didn't seem to bother them at all.

Deer don't care on a working Ranch

#5425817 - 11/17/14 08:57 AM Re: How far away do you park your ATV? [Re: ZK-315]
dawaba Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Big Eddy Road, Noonday
Originally Posted By: ZK-315

I park as close as I can too. Most deer are accustomed to vehicle traffic, whether it be from ranch trucks or oil well pumpers. After you corn the area around your stand, the deer will usually trot off a few hundred yards and then return as soon as you shut down the truck. So, the quicker you can get into your stand, the better. IME, a hunter on foot sneaking into his stand will alarm deer so thoroughly that they'll clear out and won't return. After a vehicle passes through, however, they'll come right back.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide