Re: Mind your own business!! [Re: Gil Fisher] #5430596 11/19/14 10:51 AM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: Hopeless Place
You missed your chance in my opinion. Should have agreed with him "Absolutely, but what is your idea of a shooter buck?" If he says 5 years old, jump his [censored] and say at least 6. If he says 16 inches you say 20. Mature 8 pointer, WE never shoot anything less than 10...

Turn it around a tell him not to shoot those dinks. Then go do whatever the hell you were going to do anyway.

Yep, this is the best answer. Opportunity lost. Sad he did not confront him.

Re: Mind your own business!! [Re: DirtyHarry] #5430684 11/19/14 12:59 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
It is kinda like a neighbor telling you how to raise your kids. That usually goes over real big.

Re: Mind your own business!! [Re: DirtyHarry] #5433010 11/20/14 02:58 PM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
I had a neighbor across the road from me almost same scenerio and I just agreed with him and told him glad we are on the same page, and told him most of the shooting he will hear is us shooting hogs and coyotes which is true. He was a happy camper when he left.
What you shoot on your place is your business, and it makes little difference what other folks think.

Thursday at 12:45 PM
Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Re: Mind your own business!! [Re: DirtyHarry] #5434826 11/21/14 12:40 PM
J
Jtmeeks Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
J
Hunting has turned into a competition.

I don't always exaggerate, I just remember BIG!
Re: Mind your own business!! [Re: DirtyHarry] #5434852 11/21/14 01:07 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
One neighbor of mine has 40-50 acres and leases it to two guys. They are always playing loud music, talking loud, shooting pistols, etc. Starting about a week prior to deer season (when they arrive) I notice a fair amount more deer on my place. So I like having them there. smile

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Mind your own business!! [Re: TonyinVA] #5434914 11/21/14 01:49 PM
C
cameron00 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Sorta related to the OP, I had a terribly awkward text exchange with my neighbors a couple of weeks ago.

I had a buddy out at my place to take a doe, spike, or mature trophy (which we don't really have). He's a seasoned hunter, but nevertheless, I wanted to send him pics of young bucks to make sure we were on the same page about what wasn't a trophy. Again, this is my place and I'm basically giving him a meat hunt.

Somehow, I added the guidelines to an existing text to my neighbor that owns 15 acres and his pal that helps him run things out there (he's in poor health). Because they only have 15 acres, you could easily see them taking the following texts seriously from me:

"Hey, I know you're likely to see a lot of young bucks, but those are off limits. Stick to does, spikes, or if you see a legal, clearly mature buck, that's fine. If in doubt, don't shoot it."

Didn't realize until the next morning when I get a text from my buddy asking if I'm going to send him picture examples of what not to shoot.

Freaked out. Called both and apologized, told them obviously they can shoot whatever the hell they want, message wasn't meant for them. Felt bad all day. Fortunately, they took it well and said they completely agreed with my texts and didn't think anything of it.

Re: Mind your own business!! [Re: ntxtrapper] #5435327 11/21/14 05:10 PM
T
tenyearsgone Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: ntxtrapper
Originally Posted By: DirtyHarry
I am not a complainer usually, but this weekend was too much.

You know what really grinds my gears.. My neighbor across the road from our ranch in Rule Texas came into our gate and stopped me before I could get to the cabin after the hunt. He confronted me and said "y'all know we aren't shooting any young deer in this area. We need to get everyone on board yadadada."

I am all about game management but... Don't EVER tell me what I need to do on MY property. The thing that really bothers me about this, is the fact that he acts like he needs to tell me. We have 5 hunters that have been hunting for 20+ years. I think we get it at this point. Plus, my brother is in the navy and gets to hunt once every 5 years or so, I think it's safe to say he can shoot whatever he darn well pleases. I think this whole deer management thing has some people overthinking hunting and the outdoors in general. It's hard to just have a good time sometimes.

Mr. Turner: Save it buddy!

Rather than rant on here, why not say everything you put on here to the neighbor? People being sheepish to confrontation is why bad people keep doing what they do. You should man up and say all of this to him. I have many friends and a few enemies, but they all at least know where I stand.

Beat me to it. Women do this type of thing on FB.

Re: Mind your own business!! [Re: txshntr] #5435366 11/21/14 05:28 PM
S
slimpickens Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
Originally Posted By: txshntr
If you let Deer Management and other hunters ruin hunting for you, you are doing it wrong. No way someone could ruin hunting for me because they don't think I should have shot a certain deer. We do "cull" on our place and IMO, they are culls. We don't want them in the herd, we don't want to feed them, so we kill them. They aren't shot for a trophy and they aren't shot simply for meat (though that is a nice bonus), many are shot because we don't want them out there.

Most hunters never get a chance at a 150, but with management, the chances have been increased for hunters in all areas. I don't kill 150" deer every year and have no problem putting my "little" deer up here next to the giants.

Just because someone doesn't practice management, doesn't make them any less of a hunter. If someone can make you feel that way, be mad at them, but I sure wouldn't let it take away from hunting in itself. Just my 2cents
up

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide