Forum Statistics
Forums46
Topics537,760
Posts9,728,816
Members87,039
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Word of advice for guides seeking corporate hunters (and money) #5420747 11/14/14 07:16 PM
FLParish Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
Let me preface this by saying that I am fairly new to duck hunting, but have grown up in and around hunting since I was a kid, just never duck hunting.

Now that I am getting towards the middle part of my life, and work for a gigantic corporation, I have access to more funds now and am able to take clients hunting, which means money to spend on clubs/guides/etc.

That being said, many of you guides are missing the mark with regard to your attitude and educating your clientele on using your services.

If I pay you $3500 for a season of duck hunting for 4 people, and am only getting to use this membership maybe 5 times, that's pretty darn good money, no matter if I bring 1 extra person or have 5 hunters with me.

If you need to have a certain number of hunters to make a hunt, you need to make us aware of that, beforehand. We might be empathetic towards your cause, if we're aware of it.

Don't ever call your corporate customer, in this case, me, and tell me that I'm screwing you over because I only brought one guest for a hunt and you could have used that hole for another group of hunters, on a Friday morning, and now have to dig out of your own pocket to pay a guide. Not my problem, especially if you don't explain that to us (me) beforehand. Don't assume we know the "rules" you have in play.

Oh, and get rid of your attitude. We (I) don't pay you money to talk down to us or our guests. Us corporate guys know how to make sure that other corporate hunters don't use you in the future, especially if you try screwing us over.

If you don't want to deal with us corporate hunting type, then don't try and sell your services to us and stick to the individual hunters, if that's more your style.

Otherwise, if you want our money, then cater to us and make us feel like you appreciate our money and do what it takes to keep us as a client. If you make us happy, you have the opportunity to get more corporate hunters and make even more money.

That's all....end of rant for this morning.

2 Chronicles 7:14 -
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.
Re: Word of advice for guides seeking corporate hunters (and money) [Re: FLParish] #5420751 11/14/14 07:20 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: FLParish
Let me preface this by saying that I am fairly new to duck hunting, but have grown up in and around hunting since I was a kid, just never duck hunting.

Now that I am getting towards the middle part of my life, and work for a gigantic corporation, I have access to more funds now and am able to take clients hunting, which means money to spend on clubs/guides/etc.

That being said, many of you guides are missing the mark with regard to your attitude and educating your clientele on using your services.

If I pay you $3500 for a season of duck hunting for 4 people, and am only getting to use this membership maybe 5 times, that's pretty darn good money, no matter if I bring 1 extra person or have 5 hunters with me.

If you need to have a certain number of hunters to make a hunt, you need to make us aware of that, beforehand. We might be empathetic towards your cause, if we're aware of it.

Don't ever call your corporate customer, in this case, me, and tell me that I'm screwing you over because I only brought one guest for a hunt and you could have used that hole for another group of hunters, on a Friday morning, and now have to dig out of your own pocket to pay a guide. Not my problem, especially if you don't explain that to us (me) beforehand. Don't assume we know the "rules" you have in play.

Oh, and get rid of your attitude. We (I) don't pay you money to talk down to us or our guests. Us corporate guys know how to make sure that other corporate hunters don't use you in the future, especially if you try screwing us over.

If you don't want to deal with us corporate hunting type, then don't try and sell your services to us and stick to the individual hunters, if that's more your style.

Otherwise, if you want our money, then cater to us and make us feel like you appreciate our money and do what it takes to keep us as a client. If you make us happy, you have the opportunity to get more corporate hunters and make even more money.

That's all....end of rant for this morning.
Reason I would not do corporate hunts.

Re: Word of advice for guides seeking corporate hunters (and money) [Re: FLParish] #5420765 11/14/14 07:24 PM
FLParish Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
Yep..first attempt at it and probably my last. What a shame.

I talked with one of my buddies a bit ago, who is an old time duck hunter in the area, and is a corporate guy, and he told me that's exactly why he wouldn't do them, either.

I thought it was a good idea, but now am seeing that it's not. It's all about the experience for me and my guests and if they get turned off by the guide/owner of a "club", then that's a bad thing.

14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.
Re: Word of advice for guides seeking corporate hunters (and money) [Re: FLParish] #5420867 11/14/14 08:12 PM
Cody Malone Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I do quite a few corporate deer hunts ever year and live having them out! Always lots if good stories and they are their for a good time and I always have to hold a few off shooting smaller bucks the first sit bc they are ready to give dirt naps!

You have to know how to handle bigger groups and you would be ignorant to mess up a corporate trip bc when they like what they see it is a year after year deal!

HF Whitetail / Exotic / S. African Safaris

Proudly Sponsored by:
Horizon Firearms / Swarovski Optiks / Under Armour / Yeti Coolers / Costa Del Mar / Havalon Knives

Malone Outdoors, LLC
C/254-722-9031 or E/ maloneoutdoors@yahoo.com
Re: Word of advice for guides seeking corporate hunters (and money) [Re: FLParish] #5420894 11/14/14 08:23 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Did they not brief you before arrival or did anyone discus how many were coming?? Did they have a reason to believe you were bringing more? Couldn't imagine trying to prepare for a group when you don't know how many are coming

Re: Word of advice for guides seeking corporate hunters (and money) [Re: FLParish] #5420954 11/14/14 08:49 PM
FLParish Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
Briefing before arrival: A few text messages were exchanged about where to meet up.
Did they have a reason to believe I was bringing more?: Yes. Early in the week it looked like we were going to have more, but people's jobs got in the way and all couldn't make it. IF I knew beforehand that I needed to let anyone know IF I was NOT going to have the amount discussed in the week, I would have gladly shared that information, but that little fact was never relayed to me.

OH...and don't ever tell someone that: If I had known you weren't going to have that amount, I wouldn't have put you in my best hole, but would have put you somewhere else.

Now that I know that....after I gave $3500 for a "membership"...that we would be put in less than desirable spots, depending on the amount of people I had coming....I'll be darned if I bring anyone else out this season.

Re: Word of advice for guides seeking corporate hunters (and money) [Re: FLParish] #5420974 11/14/14 09:02 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
I do understand what your saying about the good spot and it sounded like things got heated during this discussion to bring up such talk... BUT the lack of communication is were I can see the frustration. No one should have to tell you please let me know if plans change (even though most will).. that should just kinda be a given. And the briefing should have been more than just a few txt. And that's for both sides. I didn't ask if you sent him an email or how the hunt ever came up or if this was all in the lease contract so this is just going of what you have said.

Re: Word of advice for guides seeking corporate hunters (and money) [Re: FLParish] #5421272 11/14/14 11:44 PM
Curtis Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
It should have been equal communication on both parties. To me it makes sense to inform the guide on how many your bringing out. But there is no reason the guide should have said what he did regardless of how many came out. The guide does have a responsibility to do what he promises, should have put more details into writing to explain such to you in the beginning, and if there was a problem he should not have been rude about it.

I have had some hunters not show up in a group hunt that was scheduled. The hunt was booked for three and one shows up. That happens. I didn't find out about it the day of. For other guides this is a problem if they have guides set out to hunt with the party and scheduled to take care of a larger group, but not the case here. This was all a semi-guided hunt. Yeah, I get kind of bothered about it but I try not to be rude to my customers or show attitude towards them about the issue. I usually give up to one year to rebook or reschedule and after that, that's it.

Last edited by Curtis; 11/14/14 11:44 PM.

Double Arrow Bow Hunting
www.doublearrowbowhunting.com
Bow hunters welcome!
Whitetail-Axis-Blackbuck-Fallow-Barasingha-Scimitar Oryx
Located in Gonzales County.
Visit our Facebook page for current updates!

Re: Word of advice for guides seeking corporate hunters (and money) [Re: FLParish] #5421739 11/15/14 05:04 AM
B
BandOfBrotherOTX Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
PM sent, some people understand corporate hunter requirements...

Keith,
(432)813-7833
Re: Word of advice for guides seeking corporate hunters (and money) [Re: BandOfBrotherOTX] #5421789 11/15/14 06:11 AM
L
LuckyHunter Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
L
Originally Posted By: BandOfBrotherOTX

1. Serve a lot of cheers
2. Remember their time is your #1 priority bang
3. Brown nose drink7
4. Compliment the head man flehan
5. Courtesy usually is a one way street argue and
6. DOUBLE YOUR FEE YOU WILL EARN IT flag

Re: Word of advice for guides seeking corporate hunters (and money) [Re: FLParish] #5421886 11/15/14 12:40 PM
FLParish Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
Thanks guys...I'm going to let myself calm down over a few days. It appears as though there are some of you who understand how the corp game is played. I guess I just expect too much from people who I give my money to, even if it's not my money, but our company's. Customer service seems to be a thing of the past, although I hope that's not the case.

Re: Word of advice for guides seeking corporate hunters (and money) [Re: FLParish] #5421918 11/15/14 01:13 PM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Some guides guide because they enjoy other people. Some guys guide because they can't or won't work for someone else. The second kind is a PITA, but it usually takes the first trip to find out which kind they are.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Word of advice for guides seeking corporate hunters (and money) [Re: LuckyHunter] #5422583 11/15/14 09:31 PM
O
okierifleman Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
O
Originally Posted By: SheepHunter

1. Serve a lot of cheers
3. Brown nose drink7

This is such a load of crap. I take customers hunting all the time. I also spend a lot of time on guided hunts with my friends. There are idiots out there, has nothing to do with being corporate hunts or not. Are you trying to tell me that only corporate guys like to drink beer? Are you trying to say that your customers time is NOT your #1 priority? That is called customer service 101. Compliment the head man? On what? It is kind of important to be nice to the guy, he is writing the check and giving out the tips.

Courtesy is a one way street? I have been around enough corporate camps and regular camps to know all kinds of people can be a high maintenance PIA, its not a corporate only thing. Double your fees? That is a brilliant business strategy. There are guides and outfitters everywhere. Some are good, some are not as good. And, some just downright suck. AND, there are outfitters who understand corporate hunts and are set up to do them, and there are those who are not.

Re: Word of advice for guides seeking corporate hunters (and money) [Re: okierifleman] #5422880 11/15/14 11:34 PM
L
LuckyHunter Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
L
Originally Posted By: okierifleman
Originally Posted By: SheepHunter

1. Serve a lot of cheers
3. Brown nose drink7

This is such a load of crap. I take customers hunting all the time. I also spend a lot of time on guided hunts with my friends. Me too

There are idiots out there, has nothing to do with being corporate hunts or not. Agreed

Are you trying to tell me that only corporate guys like to drink beer? Never said that

Are you trying to say that your customers time is NOT your #1 priority? That is called customer service 101. Never said that

Compliment the head man? On what? It is kind of important to be nice to the guy, he is writing the check and giving out the tips. Same thing I said.

Courtesy is a one way street? I have been around enough corporate camps and regular camps to know all kinds of people can be a high maintenance PIA, its not a corporate only thing. Agreed

Double your fees? That is a brilliant business strategy. There are guides and outfitters everywhere. Some are good, some are not as good. And, some just downright suck. AND, there are outfitters who understand corporate hunts and are set up to do them, and there are those who are not. Agreed usually get what you pay for.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide