Print Thread
it happened to me #5414909 11/12/14 07:40 AM
B
basspromaster Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
B
I have read several posts and I know what many if you will say in terms of have a contract Yada Yada Yada. I recently rented a room in Falls City and was told about half way through the first month if I wanted to hunt I could for $200 bucks. I was pretty excited seeing as that's as cheap as it gets. I payed my 200 and after doing so I sorta got the impression that he was going to hunt too just in a different area. No big deal. I also made the mistake of saying that if he wanted to sit in my blind and what not that's fine but I want first Crack at things. Let me get the feeder blind and deer coming in and time to see the deer and pick one out so u don't shoot anything I have my heart set on. Well opening weekend comes and the landowner sat in my blind ( couldn't hunt bc of work) and told me he saw a few does. He then said after back surgery he really didn't feel like he was 100 percent and won't be hunting any time soon. I told him good I wanna keep low pressure on the area since I hadn't had the feeder up long. Also since he said that I didn't reiterate about letting me have my first dibs and time to look over the deer via cam and what not. Fast forward to Monday. The rain ruined my spot and so I decided to move my feeder and blind. In doing so I spilled a good amount of corn. That evening he went and sat in the open over that corn pile and shot a young 8pt gutted it right there and left the gut pile. I went Tuesday morning after work to refill my feeder and see what had eaten the old corn pile this is how I found out. I was pretty upset and confronted him and he said if I don't kill a deer I get my money back. I'm just aggrivated that my time money and planning was ruined and that a young buck was killed. So we will see if I get my buck or not.

Re: it happened to me [Re: basspromaster] #5414943 11/12/14 11:09 AM
8pointdrop Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Rain ruined your spot, so you moved your feeder after the opener?

A gut pile won't bother a deer more than a day or 2, if that. I've had deer walk around dead deer to eat corn.

At the end of the day. I highly doubt anything is "ruined", it is his land, he didn't really screw you around just an inconvenience, and sometimes young 8's need to die.

Not trying to be jump on his side, but the only thing I see that might slow down deer movement is you moving the feeder.

Re: it happened to me [Re: basspromaster] #5414967 11/12/14 11:39 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Would you have still felt the same way if he killed that same buck 400 yards from your feeder? If that was the only buck around you might have a problem, but I doubt it was the only buck. He is done hunting now in a one buck over 13" AR county. up Put a lock on your blind next time and you won't have that problem. cheers

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: it happened to me [Re: basspromaster] #5415107 11/12/14 01:55 PM
B
basspromaster Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
B
There are three synderos with in 200 yards of each other and I chose one based on what had more cover. As far as the ground was concerned it was completely rooted and then turned into a mud ball field so corn wasn't staying on the surface and what not. Plus my shot was only at 50 yards and I didn't like the feeder yo blind distance and so I wanted it moved anyway. I know the land owner didn't ruin the spot but he did ruin my thrill of setting everything up and doing the leg work and then not getting to watch deer and see this buck and judge him and all that. This was probably gonna be a future spot for me and so heard mngt was also in my mind. I also don't know what he really shot. He didn't take any pics with the deer according to him. I just feel like someone opened my gifts on Christmas.

Re: it happened to me [Re: basspromaster] #5415110 11/12/14 01:56 PM
B
basspromaster Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
B
Stx that's the funny part he sat in the open. The blind and feeder were moved.

Re: it happened to me [Re: basspromaster] #5415248 11/12/14 02:48 PM
T
TxsHunter99 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
I really dont understand the problem. He charged you $200 which is highway robbery on your part for any size hunting land in Texas, and said he would give you your money back if you didnt shoot anything which would never happen on a lease. You gave himbpermission to use your equipment and its his land. I mean it sounds like your expectations are too high. You should just be happy you have a place to hunt and possibly take a deer at all let alone a legal buck

Re: it happened to me [Re: 8pointdrop] #5415257 11/12/14 02:52 PM
J
JRJ6 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
Originally Posted By: 8pointdrop
Rain ruined your spot, so you moved your feeder after the opener?

A gut pile won't bother a deer more than a day or 2, if that. I've had deer walk around dead deer to eat corn.

At the end of the day. I highly doubt anything is "ruined", it is his land, he didn't really screw you around just an inconvenience, and sometimes young 8's need to die.

Not trying to be jump on his side, but the only thing I see that might slow down deer movement is you moving the feeder.

Agree

Re: it happened to me [Re: TxsHunter99] #5415274 11/12/14 02:57 PM
A
AggieHunter2014 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
A
Originally Posted By: ETxsHunter
I really dont understand the problem. He charged you $200 which is highway robbery on your part for any size hunting land in Texas, and said he would give you your money back if you didnt shoot anything which would never happen on a lease. You gave himbpermission to use your equipment and its his land. I mean it sounds like your expectations are too high. You should just be happy you have a place to hunt and possibly take a deer at all let alone a legal buck

I second this

Gig'em<---<<
Re: it happened to me [Re: basspromaster] #5415357 11/12/14 03:32 PM
L
LandPirate Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
L
Yup, I agree with others. It's his land, you have no contract. You're paying a very small amount for the right to hunt and you do not have exclusive rights. If he wants to shoot young bucks, it's his right. Just be grateful that he got that out of the way and maybe you won't have to bother with him for the rest of the season. I'd be cautious with the info you share with him, such as what bucks you're seeing, where and how big.

I think this falls into the "Beggars can't be choosers" category. Be grateful that you've got a very inexpensive place to hunt. Get out there and enjoy it.

Mike
Buda, Tx
Hunt near Freer
Re: it happened to me [Re: LandPirate] #5415392 11/12/14 03:46 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
Originally Posted By: LandPirate
Yup, I agree with others. It's his land, you have no contract. You're paying a very small amount for the right to hunt and you do not have exclusive rights. If he wants to shoot young bucks, it's his right. Just be grateful that he got that out of the way and maybe you won't have to bother with him for the rest of the season. I'd be cautious with the info you share with him, such as what bucks you're seeing, where and how big.

I think this falls into the "Beggars can't be choosers" category. Be grateful that you've got a very inexpensive place to hunt. Get out there and enjoy it.
up

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: it happened to me [Re: basspromaster] #5415532 11/12/14 04:28 PM
W
wtr Offline
Tracker
Tracker
W
Yep sounds like the land owner is the one getting screwed. Be happy you have a place to hunt. Good luck and go kill something. Enjoy it.

Re: it happened to me [Re: LandPirate] #5415534 11/12/14 04:28 PM
T
Troutfisch Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T

X3

"In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen."
-Theodore Roosevelt
Re: it happened to me [Re: basspromaster] #5415641 11/12/14 05:03 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Heck, I'll give the LO 3 hunerd! And build him a blind!

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: it happened to me [Re: AggieHunter2014] #5415806 11/12/14 06:11 PM
T
TonyinVA Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: Garslayer 2010
Originally Posted By: ETxsHunter

I second this

3X just go hunt and shake it off

Re: it happened to me [Re: basspromaster] #5416127 11/12/14 08:44 PM
B
basspromaster Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
B
I didn't come up with the price for hunting. He came to me after over hearing me talk about hunting to my brother in law. If I change this story to say my cousin or another lease member didn't do any leg work scouting ect yall would be hammering said person but because it's the land owner and I didn't pay huge dollars to hunt in a buck only county I shouldn't be upset. I'm not mad about the deer (it's no trophy) as much as I was mad that some of my thrill of hunting a brand new place brings. I mean come on if you got on a new lease and set everything up no cameras the best days are with in the first month. New deer, new excitement, new everything. It took away the thrill that I anticipated and long for as a hunter. To me it was kinda like my cousin opening my Christmas gift and then playing with em.

I get what yall are saying but this was a rant. I just wanted to vent a lil frustration that I had and sadness over the situation. By no means did it ruin my opportunity to hunt or kill something but like I've told many of my friends I get just as much thrill watching, scouting, and doing things right only to be successful in my hunts. When someone takes the end result from you then y shouldn't I be upset. Yall have your opinions I have mine.

See ya in the woods.

Re: it happened to me [Re: basspromaster] #5416204 11/12/14 09:17 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Id say you don't have a reason to complain at all.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: it happened to me [Re: redchevy] #5416244 11/12/14 09:35 PM
G
Grosvenor Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
G
Yeah I wouldn't rock the boat on that deal, amigo. I wouldn't sell you a 10 second hog hunt for $200.

Re: it happened to me [Re: basspromaster] #5416372 11/12/14 10:26 PM
E
Erich Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
E
just part of sharing hunting land with someone else. I don't think I'd enjoy sharing a blind with someone that I wasn't really good friends with or related to. then it just always feels like you're in competition. they shoot a deer....and its like they took something from you.

he had every right to hunt there though. you knew he'd be potentially doing it. you as much offered it to him. its just one deer. makes no difference if it were young or not. its just one. put it behind you and go hunt. wait for the rut and tag a nicer deer....you'll suddenly feel a lot better about it.

in a way you can be thankful that he's already been there and done his worst. now its yours and you've got lots of season left.

Outdoorsman
Re: it happened to me [Re: LandPirate] #5416389 11/12/14 10:37 PM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms

And you knew he was going to hunt and you told him that he could hunt your stand....

With that said, I understand your frustration and many hunters have the same issue, even on land that is shared by other hunters paying the same amount. Jealousy and possession tend to get in the way sometimes. Just enjoy the woods, enjoy the hunt and count your blessings that you get to hunt for cheap.

Good luck up

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: it happened to me [Re: basspromaster] #5416521 11/12/14 11:49 PM
B
basspromaster Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
B
Yea his season is done and I'll get to hunt the way I see fit for the rest my yr.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide