Forums46
Topics537,989
Posts9,731,447
Members87,053
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Protocol for putting a stand and feeder on fence line? [Re: TexAg Mike] #5415517 11/12/14 04:25 PM
B
Bowtech1233 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: TexAg Mike
The other thing I forgot to mention is that on our side is an old county road that goes the entire length of the fence which is the main reason we put it there b/c of the lane we have on our side.

Also, on the backside of our place, another neighbor who has a massive grass field decided to put a feeder about 20 yards off of our fence. They have NO cover at all and just put a feeder up trying to draw deer out of our lease onto their land. Now that is frustrating!

If it frustrates you when your neighbor does it to you, then why would you do it?

Re: Protocol for putting a stand and feeder on fence line? [Re: stxranchman] #5415549 11/12/14 04:32 PM
D
DENTPUSHA Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Originally Posted By: Navasot
yawn

This is what your view would be if that was my fenceline Nav grin

roflmao

Re: Protocol for putting a stand and feeder on fence line? [Re: TexAg Mike] #5415606 11/12/14 04:50 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
IMO...

Rule #1 - The distance is dependent on whether or not an agreement exists between adjacent landowners on retrieving deer that have run onto the adjacent property. If no agreement exists, it should not be any closer than the average distance a deer could be expected to run after a lethal hit.

Rule #2 - The existence of attractive deer habitat determines whether or not a stand should be placed near a fence so it doesn't become an effort is being made to attract deer from the more attractive property. While it may be legal to put a feeder and stand at the edge of a pasture and next to the neighbor's fence of heavily wooded land, that doesn't make it ethical.

Given these two rules, there should be no problem with hunters on adjacent tracts having stands near a fence, perhaps even within eyesight of each other, given they have an agreement, and there is good habitat on both sides of the fence.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Protocol for putting a stand and feeder on fence line? [Re: TexAg Mike] #5415637 11/12/14 05:02 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
There is no protocol or law for "a blind" as long as it's truly on your property per your survey.

I'd be damned that someone that had never paid one cent of mortgage on my property tell me what I can safely do on my property. With that said If your shooting in to my property I will take a tax deprecation on a new tall fence to remedy the situation.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Protocol for putting a stand and feeder on fence line? [Re: TexAg Mike] #5415654 11/12/14 05:09 PM
sig226fan (Rguns.com) Offline
duck & cover
duck & cover
I'd have asked, or tried to, but I'd much rather have them on the fence and the feeder inward, than the stand inward and the feeder on the fence grin

Re: Protocol for putting a stand and feeder on fence line? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #5415689 11/12/14 05:24 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
There is no protocol or law for "a blind" as long as it's truly on your property per your survey.

I'd be damned that someone that had never paid one cent of mortgage on my property tell me what I can safely do on my property. With that said If your shooting in to my property I will take a tax deprecation on a new tall fence to remedy the situation.

Didn't we wake up in a "mood' LOL...... HF would sure send the message though.

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: Protocol for putting a stand and feeder on fence line? [Re: stxranchman] #5415709 11/12/14 05:36 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
yawn

You would have to cut two big oaks to get to it with a tractor and that's the only way it could be moved grin good planning

Re: Protocol for putting a stand and feeder on fence line? [Re: TexAg Mike] #5415711 11/12/14 05:36 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
That's actually not to bad I could bow hunt out of it then

Re: Protocol for putting a stand and feeder on fence line? [Re: TexAg Mike] #5415715 11/12/14 05:38 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
This past off season we put up a real nice stand along with a feeder along a fence line that had some really good potential. We started feeding back in the Summer and have had some good looks at game coming in. The property that it borders does not have any active signs of vehicles or human interaction. Yet today I got to the stand only to find my feeder over come with brush that our neighbors decided to throw right under our feeder. Whats your take?

move the brush keep on hunting

Re: Protocol for putting a stand and feeder on fence line? [Re: TexAg Mike] #5415728 11/12/14 05:44 PM
W
wtr Offline
Tracker
Tracker
W
So is a good neighbor someone who trashed a stand or feeder that's on their fence line? I've hunted small acreage all my life and its common to see stands on fence lines. As long as they're not shooting towards my property I don't care.

Re: Protocol for putting a stand and feeder on fence line? [Re: Western] #5415783 11/12/14 06:05 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: Western

smile

Take your full deprecation up front and that fence just got cheap...

We as hunters just have to remember if your leaseing it's because owners doesn't hunt.. Having him and his neighbor in a Fuad over blind placement will ultimately end with him having new hunters 9/10 of the time and you looking for a new lease.

As far as trashing some ones set up...... Brilliant!!!!!! Because it's not obvious which group of hunters probably just criminally trespassed...lol. Expect several fun LEO visits through out hunting season!!!! Better cross your "T's" and dot your i's

I can't stand feeders on fence lines but guess what until they break the law. Nothing is going to happen. It's their property not ours..etc

Not directed at you Western, I know you think like me smile. Brilliant minds I tell you

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Protocol for putting a stand and feeder on fence line? [Re: TexAg Mike] #5415788 11/12/14 06:07 PM
7ARanch Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
I have one bow stand that is probably 20 yds off one of my fences. It faces into my property and the woods between the fence and the stand are so thick you can't even see the fence. Does that make me a bad neighbor, don't think so. I am literally the only person in miles of my place that does anything to enhance habitat, supplemental feeding with protein and food plots, keeping water available even when all the tanks around me have dried up. My neighbors all benefit from my efforts to be a good steward of the land.

Destroyer 340; Easton Flatline; Grim Reapers
Not as Mean Not as Lean but still a Marine

Billy Bob: My nose is dripping on my balls...
Re: Protocol for putting a stand and feeder on fence line? [Re: Navasot] #5415791 11/12/14 06:07 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
This past off season we put up a real nice stand along with a feeder along a fence line that had some really good potential. We started feeding back in the Summer and have had some good looks at game coming in. The property that it borders does not have any active signs of vehicles or human interaction. Yet today I got to the stand only to find my feeder over come with brush that our neighbors decided to throw right under our feeder. Whats your take?

move the brush keep on hunting

X2, and set up sneaky cam. And hope they cross the fence with a gun next time on camera.

Re: Protocol for putting a stand and feeder on fence line? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #5415821 11/12/14 06:17 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted By: Western

smile

Take your full deprecation up front and that fence just got cheap...

We as hunters just have to remember if your leaseing it's because owners doesn't hunt.. Having him and his neighbor in a Fuad over blind placement will ultimately end with him having new hunters 9/10 of the time and you looking for a new lease.

As far as trashing some ones set up...... Brilliant!!!!!! Because it's not obvious which group of hunters probably just criminally trespassed...lol. Expect several fun LEO visits through out hunting season!!!! Better cross your "T's" and dot your i's

I can't stand feeders on fence lines but guess what until they break the law. Nothing is going to happen. It's their property not ours..etc

Not directed at you Western, I know you think like me smile. Brilliant minds I tell you

Agree and didn't take it as directed at me. It is more an ethical, or better, neighborly thing, to try and keep fences clear, doesn't always work that way. I think some "just don't know, or "just don't give a flush" A conversation usually will tell you which you're dealing with.

I hunt on 15.5 acres now and my stand and feeder are directly centered on my place, plus I shoot into a hill, so. Is there a better place for my feeder, heck yeah, but that would put me close to a fence and I don't want someone tempted to shoot a deer under it (have neighbors in the back that would).

BTW, I have had poor results with my Sheriffs office when it comes to folks bullets coming on my place, wasn't during deer season, just idiots shooting. Will try my local GW next time, she is a go getter up

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: Protocol for putting a stand and feeder on fence line? [Re: TexAg Mike] #5415824 11/12/14 06:18 PM
M
MoBettaHuntR Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
I can't stand our neighbors tripod that hunts our fence line but I never do anything to interfere with it other than pee there when i happen to be by it. Plenty of deer to go around. Found a few he's wounded too, never caught him on our side of the fence. Im pretty sure he thinks we don't know it is there cause it next to an old road with very little action around. Glad he thinks he so smart I just keep letting him think he's smart. He caught our land on fire 10 or so years ago welding in the wind with no extinguisher now that'll piss you off.

-Those who say money can't buy happiness never bought a dog.

Re: Protocol for putting a stand and feeder on fence line? [Re: TexAg Mike] #5415836 11/12/14 06:22 PM
M
MoBettaHuntR Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
His blind is literally only hunting our old road there isn't a clearing for 50 yards on his side of the fence in any direction. 20 yards off facing into his trees would be a lot nicer.

-Those who say money can't buy happiness never bought a dog.

Re: Protocol for putting a stand and feeder on fence line? [Re: TexAg Mike] #5416412 11/12/14 10:51 PM
E
Erich Offline
Tracker
Tracker
E
just like you don't like the neighbor who set a blind up on your fence line...this other guy feels the same way about the blind that you set up on his fence line.

hunting fence lines just gives folks the impression that they'd kinda like to hunt on both sides of the fence. that you're more interested in their property than you are your own. if you're not very interested in hunting your own property then you must have abused it to the point that its not very good. they don't want you to do the same thing to theirs.

also....you have to hunt within the means of what your property will support. if its situated to the point that you can't fit many blinds on it without encroaching on the neighbors....then you just don't put that many blinds on it. if you're property doesn't have any trees...then its probably not a good place to deer hunt. but that doesn't entitle you to hunt the neighbors place.

Outdoorsman
Re: Protocol for putting a stand and feeder on fence line? [Re: TexAg Mike] #5416466 11/12/14 11:18 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Liberals say that no one should have more than anyone else. So, you should be able to shoot deer off your neighbors place if they have more than you.

Re: Protocol for putting a stand and feeder on fence line? [Re: TexAg Mike] #5416697 11/13/14 01:19 AM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
More than once I have been on a lease where a neighbor set up on a fence line. Generally this would be in an area we did not have a stand, same as the neighbor described in the original post. What we do is put up an extra tripod or other stand on our side of the fence far enough to be out of sight, on the trail or travel area leading to the neighbors feeder, and declare it a community stand for everyone on the lease to use. No different than we would do if the neighbor had a wheat field across the fence, pond, or if the terrain across the fence creates a natural funnel, etc. But we would not put the stand directly across in view. I doubt they ever knew we were there. If on public land hunts I also will walk any private land boundaries in my area for feeders and food plots as a way to find travel corridors that may be different than what the terrain would normally have it. The theory being that the wiser deer will stage up one or two hundred yards away from those places anyway waiting for dark, a stand a couple hundred yards in the woods from a feeder or plot will present deer that the neighbor or private land side never sees. So we don't get too upset in those situations, we make lemonade out of them.

Re: Protocol for putting a stand and feeder on fence line? [Re: Navasot] #5416747 11/13/14 01:41 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
yawn

You would have to cut two big oaks to get to it with a tractor and that's the only way it could be moved grin good planning

Chainsaw makes very fast work of Oak Trees and I won't need the tractor then cheers

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Protocol for putting a stand and feeder on fence line? [Re: TexAg Mike] #5416749 11/13/14 01:44 AM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
True story: We hunt our place where we have senderos cut that run length ways about 100 yards inside the fenceline. There is a strip of heavy brush between our sendero and the fenceline and the neighbor can't see in and we can't see across his fenceline.
The neighbor a couple of years ago put a blind and feeder within 40 yards of our fence. No big deal we just ignored it and continued hunting our own blinds away from the fence. I guess when we shot our deer he must have been in his stand and got the carp scared out of him because before the season ended the blind and feeder were gone.

Thursday at 12:45 PM
Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Re: Protocol for putting a stand and feeder on fence line? [Re: TexAg Mike] #5417411 11/13/14 12:12 PM
D
Dave Davidson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
D
I'm a big believer in individual land owners rights. You do as you damn well please on your place and I'll do the same on mine. I have one stand and feeder about 25 ft inside my side of a fence. No bullet will cross the fence line. That same neighbor had a tree stand on the fence line sitting on his side of the fence but on a tree that is growing on my property. He had a feeder on his side. No big deal. He's not trespassing and a couple of feet either way shouldn't bother anybody. We all feel the same way. Other than possibly drawing deer off either place, nobody controls deer movement.

I have a neighbor that is anti hunter. She starts shooting ever Friday, Saturday and Sunday afternoons during deer season. She is doing it on her land so I figure that is her right and she can do as she pleases. Yeah, I wish she wouldn't but... There is probably some law against harassing hunters/game that I could call the GW about but I'm not going to dictate what she does.

I have a food plot along another fence line and have hunted it. It's actually an electrical transmission line clearing. I have often watched deer moving on his side of the fence but won't shoot them. He leases his place for hunting but I've never seen a deer shot off my place by his hunters. Hunters put a box blind on a hill about 200 yards in. That pretty well moved most of the deer over to my side.

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: Protocol for putting a stand and feeder on fence line? [Re: TexAg Mike] #5417607 11/13/14 02:40 PM
E
Eastwood Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
E
My concern would be that is feeder close enough to the fence that they could throw brush under it from across the fence? If it is you run the risk of a wounded deer crossing the fence and then that opens a whole new can of worms.

Re: Protocol for putting a stand and feeder on fence line? [Re: Eastwood] #5417641 11/13/14 02:58 PM
G
Grosvenor Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
G
So if you set it up that way to hunt a long road that runs along the fenceline, there's a 50% chance anything you shoot (that doesn't drop) is going to run onto your neighbor's property, right? I'd find another spot.

In fact, I'd call the neighbor and explain what you were trying to do, that you didn't mean to offend anyone, and that you will relocate your setup. Then I'd give him your phone number and let him know that you would appreciate him contacting you rather than trespassing in the future. I deal with landowner disputes a good bit, and firmly believe that if you're polite and accommodating now it will pay dividends in the future. It's easy to puff out your chest and stand your ground because it's your land (or leasehold interest), but it usually just leads to more problems. There are bigger things in life to lose sleep over.

Re: Protocol for putting a stand and feeder on fence line? [Re: TexAg Mike] #5417656 11/13/14 03:03 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
I was polite enough to plant both side of the cut after the neighbor built the new fence line and dozed the new cut... then put my stand there. They are weekenders along with most of my other neighbors.. they do not dare mess with my stuff since im the one that keeps an eye on all theirs while they are gone

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide