Page 1 of 2 1 2
Jealous lease member #5413264 11/11/14 05:20 PM
L
LarryCopper Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
L
This is my first year on a small hill country place. My brother and neighbor are on it with me and we were all down for opening weekend. Last Sat afternoon I found out what it felt like to be bipolar. A young 10 pt came in and hung around for half an hour. What confused me is that I'm new to hill country deer. I've always heard they're not as big. So I didn't know if he was just a young buck with a big rack or that was just as good as it gets. When he first walked out I thought he was definitely a shooter. Then he would put his head down and I'd think... ehhhh, his body doesn't look very mature. He'd pick his head up and I'd go back to thinking shooter. Went back and forth the whole time. But in the end I know I did the right thing letting him walk. More than likely a blessed 2.5 year old.

So I get back to camp having a cold one and told them what I saw. The neighbor tells me that out there 10s are pretty rare, the property owner says all he has ever seen is 8s. He goes on to say he would have taken the buck. OK, I understand where he's coming from. No biggie to me and I'd be glad if he did get that chance.

Last weekend only me and my brother can get out there. I brought my son to try to take a spike, too. Friday evening my brother took that same 10 point we talked about. The next afternoon I found the one I was looking for. No doubt when he stepped out, big body and wide 8 point.

My boy got lucky Sun morning and took out his antelope.

I texted the neighbor to let him know how great the weekend went. No reply. It turns out he is all butt hurt cuz he won't have a chance at either of the bucks we took. confused2

I have been on a few crappy leases where we were all after the same buck or two and it was pretty competitive. But I can honestly say the only time I got PO'd at anyone was when they took an illegal buck. There are still good bucks out there, I caught glimpses of them. I just don't get it, I genuinely would be happy for him.

Have you ever had somebody like that? I think I'll just let it pass. He'll get his buck and it'll be alright, but I really want to tell him what a selfish [censored] he is being.

Re: Jealous lease member [Re: LarryCopper] #5413278 11/11/14 05:24 PM
T
TxYoteHunter Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
There are some like that out there. Not much you can say or do really. You do your thing and let them think what they want.
Congratulations to everyone in your camp on the animals you all harvested.

Last edited by TxYoteHunter; 11/11/14 05:26 PM.
Re: Jealous lease member [Re: LarryCopper] #5413286 11/11/14 05:27 PM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Is the neighbor a landowner? If so, they own those deer and you shot their property in their mind. Sometimes it is just good to lease and not get so caught up in it.

Congrats to all there!

Re: Jealous lease member [Re: LarryCopper] #5413288 11/11/14 05:28 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Congrats on some nice bucks. He will get over it. up

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Jealous lease member [Re: LarryCopper] #5413291 11/11/14 05:29 PM
L
LandPirate Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
L
Know your audience. I've found that it's often wise to minimize what you saw for this very reason. Talk to those people that you know can be trusted. Otherwise, zip it. Some people are just looking for a reason to be offended.

Mike
Buda, Tx
Hunt near Freer
Re: Jealous lease member [Re: stxranchman] #5413293 11/11/14 05:30 PM
S
Seadog Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: stxranchman

I support Cap and Trade - Cap our spending and Trade Obama

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the Government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them. - Thomas Jefferson
Re: Jealous lease member [Re: Txduckman] #5413296 11/11/14 05:31 PM
L
LarryCopper Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Originally Posted By: Txduckman
Is the neighbor a landowner? If so, they own those deer and you shot their property in their mind. Sometimes it is just good to lease and not get so caught up in it.

Congrats to all there!

No, the neighbor is not a landowner. But I think you're on the right track. He knows the landowner and probably feels entitled, in his mind he got the lease and deserves it. But I've put in my time working out there and paying my dues, too.

Funny part is I begged him to go out there last weekend with us but he wouldn't. No scene control... bolt

Re: Jealous lease member [Re: LarryCopper] #5413301 11/11/14 05:32 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Never really understood that.

I was raised playing on a level playing field with all the others. I had a full paid spot on a lease for me, no for my dad that I could shoot on starting when I was ten. I have never hunted a youth weekend in my life because it wouldn't have been fair to the other hunters, not out of them asking just out of common courtesy. This was also before we started using game cams and really had no idea what was out there... I think if I would have had a game cam then I would have been much more patient.

Always been happy for people who got something on our lease even if it was something I didn't think should be shot, we were all paying hunters. However it is also the reason we own our own property now.

Last edited by redchevy; 11/11/14 05:33 PM.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Jealous lease member [Re: LarryCopper] #5413302 11/11/14 05:32 PM
S
Southtexas36 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
S
I think you're spot on, don't sweat the small stuff, sometimes it's better to be lucky than good. I also think it's early to judge a season and I'd be excited to see what else is out there that hasn't been seen yet regardless of what's been killed or not.

Personally, I'm glad to see good animals come in no matter who kills them, it's an indication of the place in general and the product of good management. I just feel that if you keep putting in your time, be patient, good things will happen and eventually over the years everyone will have a good deer on the wall.

Re: Jealous lease member [Re: LarryCopper] #5413313 11/11/14 05:35 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Y'all went and had a great time, took some great animals. Find it hard to see how he could get mad if he didn't even go and had the opportunity. Just chalk it under "Now you know" and forget about it. His choice to be butt hurt.

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: Jealous lease member [Re: LarryCopper] #5413314 11/11/14 05:36 PM
R
rattler03 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
We've always celebrated when one of us gets a good buck. We view it as if we are a team, a good buck hanging in our camp is a win for all of us. It sure beats the neighbor properties getting that buck. There's rarely enough shooter bucks for all of us to get one each year, so sometimes it isn't your season but maybe next year you'll punch your buck tag.

Re: Jealous lease member [Re: LarryCopper] #5413368 11/11/14 05:59 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
There is no shortage of people these days who carry feelings of entitlement of something for nothing. If you have invested just as much time and money into the lease as he has, then there is no problem.

However, if he is the only one who has been making trips to the lease to fill feeders and other work items while you just showed up on Opening Day to hunt, I can understand his motivation.

I've seen more than my share of those who piss and moan about not seeing anything, even though they haven't invested time and money towards being successful. While they are never busy on Opening Weekend, for some reason they just have trouble getting there when work needs to be done.

If the neighbor is hunting his own place, it's on him to either grow up or put up a high fence.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Jealous lease member [Re: LarryCopper] #5413407 11/11/14 06:23 PM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
On our place I picked a new location to setup, moved blind and feeder, spent money on feed pen and feed. But all that was my choice alone. We got a pic of one of the biggest bucks out there. I hunted it Sat and Sun am but not seen it. I moved to a new blind and the guy who has done the least amount of work took it. I gave up sitting there so not his fault he was in the right at the right time. He does owe me a Yeti but think we settled on a steak. Keeps me going back and hunting. cheers

Re: Jealous lease member [Re: Txduckman] #5413418 11/11/14 06:33 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Txduckman
On our place I picked a new location to setup, moved blind and feeder, spent money on feed pen and feed. But all that was my choice alone. We got a pic of one of the biggest bucks out there. I hunted it Sat and Sun am but not seen it. I moved to a new blind and the guy who has done the least amount of work took it. I gave up sitting there so not his fault he was in the right at the right time. He does owe me a Yeti but think we settled on a steak. Keeps me going back and hunting. cheers

Yes, such people are much more tolerable when they acknowledge their success came off the back of someone else and want to pay it back in some fashion.

When the only thing your fellow lease members miss when you're not there is your physical presence, you need to rethink what you're contributing to the program.

Re: Jealous lease member [Re: LarryCopper] #5413419 11/11/14 06:33 PM
L
LarryCopper Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
L
I hear that. And I guess I should mention, we didn't take any deer from his blind. We all pitched in the same for corn and worked our tails off.

Come to think of it, opening morning he was dead set on hunting his blind. We had all agreed to draw straws or something, but my brother and I didn't care because we knew good bucks were hitting all spots pretty randomly.

And boy I tell ya the rut was in full swing out there last weekend!

Re: Jealous lease member [Re: LarryCopper] #5413428 11/11/14 06:39 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: LarryCopper
I hear that. And I guess I should mention, we didn't take any deer from his blind. We all pitched in the same for corn and worked our tails off.

Come to think of it, opening morning he was dead set on hunting his blind. We had all agreed to draw straws or something, but my brother and I didn't care because we knew good bucks were hitting all spots pretty randomly.

Yes, karma was in your favor no doubt.

Congratulations on everyone's well-earned success.

Re: Jealous lease member [Re: LarryCopper] #5413472 11/11/14 07:05 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W

That in Red, would even make me feel better about it. I at first didn't agree with the notion he was "jealous", more like "entitled", but since he didn't want to stick with the plan, he obviously thought he had a "plan" and wanted it for himself. Send him a box of Kleenex.

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: Jealous lease member [Re: stxranchman] #5413550 11/11/14 07:47 PM
L
landsurveyor Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Originally Posted By: stxranchman

X2

"A hungry dog hunts best." Lee Trevino

www.prospectlandsurveying.com
Re: Jealous lease member [Re: LarryCopper] #5413646 11/11/14 08:25 PM
T
tShawnB Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Sadly deer hunting has always had these guys who think "My deer". He will get over it. Congrats!

How come everybody I meet is a deer hunting expert?
Re: Jealous lease member [Re: LarryCopper] #5413690 11/11/14 08:41 PM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms
Great bucks!!! Congrats up

I hunt with a few guys that are like that...they are the first to receive pictures of any deer that hit the ground grin

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Jealous lease member [Re: Western] #5413832 11/11/14 09:47 PM
P
PMK Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted By: Western

That in Red, would even make me feel better about it. I at first didn't agree with the notion he was "jealous", more like "entitled", but since he didn't want to stick with the plan, he obviously thought he had a "plan" and wanted it for himself. Send him a box of Kleenex.

and a new tube of Preparation H ...

Last edited by PMK; 11/11/14 09:48 PM.

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Jealous lease member [Re: txshntr] #5413833 11/11/14 09:48 PM
L
LarryCopper Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Originally Posted By: txshntr
I hunt with a few guys that are like that...they are the first to receive pictures of any deer that hit the ground grin

up

I know he isn't going back out until the week of Thanksgiving. Out of common courtesy I don't plan on going back out until he has his buck or til around mid to late December, whichever comes first. But, ya got me thinkin'. Maybe I should text him a pic this weekend of my son with a dead hog under his feeder. I won't tell him it was from this Spring when we were turkey hunting. Might as well have fun with it. stir

Re: Jealous lease member [Re: LarryCopper] #5413835 11/11/14 09:48 PM
W
wtmartinaggie Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
W
only time i ever get upset is when someone wounds one and doesnt put the effort in to find it. if you see him and kill him congrats all around, but wound one, ruin the spot and then dont spend the time looking and i have nothing for you regardless of how much time you spent preparing the lease

Re: Jealous lease member [Re: LarryCopper] #5413871 11/11/14 10:08 PM
Homer Jay Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I tell my students something like this occasionally:

"It takes time to become an adult. He just needs more time."

"Like a slice of fried gold!"
Re: Jealous lease member [Re: LarryCopper] #5413887 11/11/14 10:18 PM
J
JCB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
Jealously is just the ugliest form of admiration........and that's the greatest compliment one can give you.

Congrats!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide