am I alone in thinking this? #5411240 11/10/14 09:33 PM
S
Sparky45 Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
S
I have been white tail hunting for 35 years
I have morphed into a meat hunter pretty much but I still get excited when I see a majestic buck
I care for the animals on my land
I want them to flourish

When I take a doe I just can't shoot them in the head any more
Something about it makes me feel like I have disrespected the animal because of the damage it does
I've done it before and it is humane I know that

I would rather neck shoot now to preserve meat

The only easy day was yesterday

NRA Life Benefactor Member
Re: am I alone in thinking this? [Re: Sparky45] #5411248 11/10/14 09:37 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
I don't know if you're alone on it or not, never gave it much thought, but the 1st part of your post, I agree with 100%. I enjoy working the land as much sitting in the stand.

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: am I alone in thinking this? [Re: Sparky45] #5411256 11/10/14 09:41 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Your not alone. I love taking care of the animals best we can. I don't really like head shots on deer, have done a few in the past but don't care to have pictures with brains splattered all over in them... and yes we do take pictures of most of the deer we shoot even does sometimes its just to text to dad and brother but I still don't want a mangled 1/2 a head in the picture.

I also will not gut a prego sow and pull the unborn piglets out and play with them and take pictures, poor taste if you ask me, I gut and go along like normal.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: am I alone in thinking this? [Re: Sparky45] #5411280 11/10/14 09:47 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
I still like to hunt period. Still shoot bucks and does when or which is needed from more of a management standpoint. I still shoot what I like or don't like for bucks for numbers control with the tags I have. From a management standpoint with does I prefer to shoot the older ones with fawns when I can make that call. I still shoot all deer high point of the shoulder and for me it does not waste that much meat when the shot is put in the right place. They don't move and no tracking involved. I still get that same excited feeling today as I did 45+ yrs ago no matter if it is a doe or buck. I would think when I loose that feeling it will be time to hang it up.
I still love hunting with a rifle. But also have recently started with my crossbow and picked a bow for the first time in 10 yrs. Now days I love hunting Mule Deer as much if not more than whitetail.
About 10 years ago I started back to taking pictures and trying to learn how to use the cameras I have. I get a lot of enjoyment out of watching wildlife while hunting. Seen some amazing things over the years when I did not have a camera with me, now I do and capture that moment in time to save for viewing over again in the future.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: am I alone in thinking this? [Re: Sparky45] #5411303 11/10/14 09:54 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
STX, your over 35!! grin bolt

I can see where Redchevy is coming from as far as photos for sure.

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: am I alone in thinking this? [Re: Sparky45] #5411304 11/10/14 09:55 PM
S
Sneaky Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
A neck shot saves more meat than a head shot? Are you eating the brains?

Re: am I alone in thinking this? [Re: Sneaky] #5411316 11/10/14 09:58 PM
S
Sparky45 Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: Sneaky
A neck shot saves more meat than a head shot? Are you eating the brains?

Who said that a neck shot saves more meat than a head shot?
I didn't

Re: am I alone in thinking this? [Re: Sparky45] #5411340 11/10/14 10:04 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
I am beginning to feel the same way. I got to watch my personal best buck for several minutes this year before I shot him, and I had lots of thoughts of passing on him. I began to think that if I just had good pictures of him that that would be enough. I just want to see what the land can produce with good management. However, I did get a massive case of the shakes after the shot and was giddy for quite some time.

I'll have a gun with me, but I'll be toting a camera with me from now on too.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: am I alone in thinking this? [Re: Sparky45] #5411494 11/10/14 10:55 PM
S
Sneaky Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: Sparky45

Something about it makes me feel like I have disrespected the animal because of the damage it does

Head shot does too much damage. You neck shoot to preserve meat.

What am I missing?

I'm not trying to start something. Im just not picking up what you're putting down, apparently.

Re: am I alone in thinking this? [Re: Sparky45] #5411504 11/10/14 11:00 PM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Dead is dead. What difference does it make where you shoot one as long as it dies quickly.

Re: am I alone in thinking this? [Re: Sparky45] #5411508 11/10/14 11:03 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Some years ago, a buddy and I hunted a tiny lease right on the Stephens/Erath line that had the worst genetics of anywhere I ever saw. All kinds of really freaky looking deer were around there....so I got into a habit, in that 1 Buck County, of only taking the worst twisted up head I could find every year, and forget about the little basket racks that were common. Then started getting drawn on GDA Hunts and would only take the biggest tallest spike I could find...and it's become fun looking for the weirdo's.

These deer eat just as good as big dry doe too, and frequently are a tad bigger since they've been let live longer. AR's ought to get these cleaned out the Gene Pool hopefully.

Wish't I'd kept the one from the tiny lease that had a 3 typical half of a 6pt on one side and a starburst of 9 pts kinda triangle shaped sharp edged points coming out of a twisted pretzel looking cigar thick knob right as the bone came off the pedicel, with 2 of the "Point's" penetrating the skin between his ear and the base. That whole starburst ball shaped wad of horn thing was about 8"s in diameter on the outside of the circle of the points and mebbe 5-6"s at the tallest. No damage found anywhere on the critter either. Killed another one at that lease that had a single unforked finger thick smooth tubular looking horn coming out the side of the pedicel and curling back into the side of head on one side and small cow patty looking wad of lumpy bone on the other side. These were full grown 3-4 year old breeding bucks too, weighing 125/140 lbs and not just some short unforked pencil horned yearling spike like I've seen elsewhere.

Got a 9 1/2" x 8 3/4" tall Spike with no forks, with just crooked knobby lumps from Lake Mineral Wells SP couple years back that I kept enough of the skull cap to keep the Antler base's solid.
Fun is where ya find it.
Ron

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

"These are the times that try men's soul's"...Thomas Paine

"Those who fail to learn from History are doomed to repeat it" ....Santayana
Re: am I alone in thinking this? [Re: Sparky45] #5411517 11/10/14 11:08 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Tried a headshot on a doe, too close, when I was a late-teenager. Shot her jaw off. Never found her. Never again.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: am I alone in thinking this? [Re: Sparky45] #5411519 11/10/14 11:09 PM
B
Buzzsaw Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
I'm in agreement, head shooting has become popular with younger "hot shots", they think it's cool and makes them a badass "sniper".

. I guess I'm getting old and soft. I will neck shoot for meat. I guess dead is dead, head shots are messy. I'm not as mad at the deer as I used to be, have more fun after the hunt, swapping "what did you see" stories.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a NBK but ..... would I rather go drink a cold beer or have a hot cup of coffee and a bigo breakfast instead of cleaning and haulin a deer to the locker.....he better be big or be an AXIS (very tasty) the whitetail I kill are donated to hungry folks.

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: am I alone in thinking this? [Re: Sneaky] #5411521 11/10/14 11:09 PM
S
Sparky45 Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
S

What am I missing?

I'm not trying to start something. Im just not picking up what you're putting down, apparently.

OK, here goes.

I was of the opinion that I would head shoot does to save useable meat. Head shot, they go right down, no tracking and no meat wasted.

I am now of the opinion that I would not prefer to head shoot them so instead I aim for the highest part of the neck. It is my thoughts that I still waste less meat by doing this than a typical shoulder shot could waste.

The neck shot will destroy some meat, just not as much as a shoulder shot can destroy.

so my statement about shooting in the neck to save meat was in comparison to a typical shoulder shot

Re: am I alone in thinking this? [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks] #5411536 11/10/14 11:16 PM
S
Sparky45 Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks
I am beginning to feel the same way. I got to watch my personal best buck for several minutes this year before I shot him, and I had lots of thoughts of passing on him. I began to think that if I just had good pictures of him that that would be enough. I just want to see what the land can produce with good management. However, I did get a massive case of the shakes after the shot and was giddy for quite some time.

I'll have a gun with me, but I'll be toting a camera with me from now on too.

I rarely take photos of live deer but I can understand people that do. To me they are a resource, a beautiful one at that. Cunning and a good sport to enjoy. I just think I have shot my last one in the head.
I always try and say a quick thank you to the Almighty for the animal and I promise to make good use of it.
Its a strange way am beginning to feel is more honoring the animal.

Re: am I alone in thinking this? [Re: Sparky45] #5411620 11/10/14 11:49 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
I also do not shoot in the head. I lost a deer years ago doing it. I shoot in the neck. I have not shot a large buck in I don't know how many years. During the season I will sit in stands and just watch deer. Always learning what their movements seem to mean. Now a days I just shoot Axis spikes and maybe a 2 year old. I am 68 years old and I can't eat horns like I did in my younger days. I did take a what I thought was a spike WT a couple of days ago. A way to big in weight for his antlers deer. And I will not gut an Axis doe. In my younger years I gutted a lot of them and it seems like everyone had a fawn in her. When you get a youngster who has just shot one and they watch you gut her and there is the baby it ruined it for a lot of them and for me also.

Re: am I alone in thinking this? [Re: Sparky45] #5411631 11/10/14 11:54 PM
S
Sneaky Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S

What am I missing?

OK, here goes.

I was of the opinion that I would head shoot does to save useable meat. Head shot, they go right down, no tracking and no meat wasted.

I am now of the opinion that I would not prefer to head shoot them so instead I aim for the highest part of the neck. It is my thoughts that I still waste less meat by doing this than a typical shoulder shot could waste.

The neck shot will destroy some meat, just not as much as a shoulder shot can destroy.

so my statement about shooting in the neck to save meat was in comparison to a typical shoulder shot

I gotcha.

I'm too fond of my neck roasts to shoot there, though I have when no other vitals were visible. Never gave head shots much thought. The small target and the mess doesn't apeal to me.

Re: am I alone in thinking this? [Re: stxranchman] #5411658 11/11/14 12:09 AM
S
SniperRAB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: stxranchman
I still like to hunt period. Still shoot bucks and does when or which is needed from more of a management standpoint. I still shoot what I like or don't like for bucks for numbers control with the tags I have. From a management standpoint with does I prefer to shoot the older ones with fawns when I can make that call. I still shoot all deer high point of the shoulder and for me it does not waste that much meat when the shot is put in the right place. They don't move and no tracking involved. I still get that same excited feeling today as I did 45+ yrs ago no matter if it is a doe or buck. I would think when I loose that feeling it will be time to hang it up.
I still love hunting with a rifle. But also have recently started with my crossbow and picked a bow for the first time in 10 yrs. Now days I love hunting Mule Deer as much if not more than whitetail.
About 10 years ago I started back to taking pictures and trying to learn how to use the cameras I have. I get a lot of enjoyment out of watching wildlife while hunting. Seen some amazing things over the years when I did not have a camera with me, now I do and capture that moment in time to save for viewing over again in the future.

I am starting to dig this Stick and String roflmao

NEVER thought I would say that, I am more into eliminating, Pature Maggots, Coons, Corn Vultures than harvesting Deer up

We have a "lookin lease"

Re: am I alone in thinking this? [Re: Sparky45] #5411816 11/11/14 01:13 AM
T
TxYoteHunter Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Last season on opening day, I had my scope on an older 10 point at 100 yards. Really heavy deer, pot belly, grayish hair. At first I figured I'd take him because he looked so old then I thought, heck, let's see if he can make another year. He deserves a chance since he's made it this far. Saw him several times. Had him walk about 30 yards from a high stand one morning just slowly walking by. I spoke to him and he simply stopped looked up and stared at me. I spoke again, he stood still for about a minute then slowly walked away. I've done things like that several times. Never even fired at a deer last year.

I get more pleasure sitting and watching them than I do harvesting them. Now granted I will fill the freezer when needed and if possible. I will not take a doe with yearlings tagging along. I don't take young bucks. Fairly picky about which I take. Most of the folks in Foard County seem to be real management minded rather than the "if it's brown it's down" mindset. Probably why I like the area so much.

Re: am I alone in thinking this? [Re: Sparky45] #5412870 11/11/14 02:42 PM
L
LandPirate Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
L
I spent 8 years as a sniper. I trained to shoot humans in the head but I won't shoot deer in the head. Too many variables and not worth the risk of maiming and needlessly injuring animals. I have neck shot a few.

Mike
Buda, Tx
Hunt near Freer
Re: am I alone in thinking this? [Re: Sparky45] #5412900 11/11/14 02:57 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Im definitely not as trigger happy as I was at the age of 10, but still no way I would let the ancient 10 pass to see if he could make another year. Guess im in the looking for mature bucks point in my hunting life and doing what I need to get them there. Maintaining the property to keep hold and provide for the deer, feed food plots water, passing younger deer and keeping pop/ratio as good as we can for a low fence place. Used to be the first deer with 8 pts better watch out.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: am I alone in thinking this? [Re: Sparky45] #5412947 11/11/14 03:10 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
When I'm shooting a doe for meat, it's strictly a business affair

First one within range gets it. I've shot them in the neck and I've shot them in the head, and with a 55 grain bullet moving 3700 fps there really isn't a difference in which one is messier.

I've shot the jaw off one and had to finish her with a neck shot. I've clipped the top of ones neck and had to finish her with a head shot.

Never shot an axis doe that wasn't pregnant.

All this is part of hunting

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: am I alone in thinking this? [Re: Sparky45] #5412970 11/11/14 03:18 PM
W
Wilhunt Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
I have hunted deer for around 50 years, still get a charge out of seeing does or bucks. The bucks do generate a bit more excitement though. I have shot 2 does that I remember in the neck, but the bullet hit the flesh part and missed the bone. They both went down, 1 got up and into the brush and never found her. The other was eventually taken...so I am reluctant to shoot in the neck. Having a lot of respect for the animals makes it tough when I lose one. If you shoot in the head it may not provide for the best picture but it is a quick death for the deer.
Like stx, it is still exciting and cannot see myself ever not hunting and enjoying the outdoors. flag

Re: am I alone in thinking this? [Re: Sparky45] #5413021 11/11/14 03:38 PM
P
pokerj2 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
But its ok to shoot pigs in the head? Flawed logic in my opinion. I have only shot 1 deer in the head. Hogs, I couldnt put a number to it. Most places I have hunted had an unspoken rule with pigs as head shots only.

President of American Entitlements LLC
Health insurance agency focusing in all ages from ACA plans all the way through Medicare.
Office is based in Wylie, TX
We have local agents in both Texas and Louisiana
469-814-0289
Re: am I alone in thinking this? [Re: Sparky45] #5413192 11/11/14 04:55 PM
W
WTGuide Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
W
I love this...thank you for this post. I don't like head shots, never have, never will. I'm with you, love seeing a beautiful buck just like the next guy...have yet to find a recipe for boiling, grilling, frying or anything else for that matter, any type of antler. If I'm going to eat an animal, I'm taking it in the most humane manner I can...period.

Think you can/Think you can't/Either way you're right

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide